Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Everyone has their own tolerance level, and I'd say there's a pretty strong libertarianismish / individualism / r/antiwork vibe in general in SH/SC, partnered with a generally low tolerance for what's regarded as useless bullshit. To have something like that as step one in the process can be easily interpreted as active disrespect for the applicant's time.

I've done one of those recorded video interview things. I hated it, but I was also unemployed at the time. I did well enough to move into interviews and eventually accepted an offer.

For my current role, I had to do one of those bullshit "I [strongly agree / agree / have no opinion / disagree / strongly disagree] it's always morally wrong to steal from an employer" 50-question psychology quiz things, and I'll freely admit it negatively colored my initial impression of the company. Those negative views probably pushed me to play harder in my compensation negotiations, and I would have been more ready to bail out of the interview process if there were more red flags.

Another position, I called back to my (third-party) recruiting contact once to ask "is it really necessary to fill out this twelve-page web form that's just my resume but more awkward?" When she said "yea, everyone has to do that", I immediately withdrew myself.

All of the orgs I talked about above have a fairly strong contingent of entry/early-level labor pools. Maybe it's easier to satisfy some legal requirement by just having everyone follow the same process. But everyone has their own lines where Enough Is Enough™️, and I hope the VPs/Recruiters/Managers lurking here can realize that they're losing good tech folks over stupid HR requirements that add no value to the company's books, and hurt the view of the company on the candidate's side.

All that pontificating aside, good luck larchesdanrew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I had to do a pre-recorded video for a position inside my company (basically exclusively doing what I currently do on certain periods), and they didn't even move me past that phase, not even counting the fact that I had to upload it to YouTube and give them a link rather than anything more private and secure.

Then again I don't even want to do this at all now so maybe it was for the best

And, larches, best of luck! I'm living vicariously through your successes so far and it's great to read, especially after catching up with the whole thread

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 24, 2022

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

When I last applied for a job 5 years ago, they (the recruitment agency filling the role) made me do one of those video responses. Eventually when I was hired I asked what they thought of the video and was told that they didn't even watch it :v:

Now I'm giving input on who our hires should be and sometimes I watch the video if I remember it's there. From my perspective I think it's just something recruiters do in an attempt to justify the outrageous amount of money they get for matching people with employers. Same with deconstructing your CV and reassembling it in their own custom recruiter brand resume. It's just fluff.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
So, having been part of the hiring and interview process for some upper tier university positions, I can say that this is definitely part of weeding out the crazies without a huge commitment of time from everyone.

The second a director level position opens, so many people apply who don't qualify even a little but lie heavily on their resumes and cover letters. Having them do an interview-style assessment with even basic questions can be hugely revealing.

Honestly if this had been an option back then, I'd have gladly supported it. We could have avoided interviewing the guy who applied to be the director of student life who ended up giving off MASSIVE child predator vibes in the interview.

I can see how this would be insulting if you were hiring within but it wasn't that big of a hassle and honestly, being trans, I appreciate the opportunity to let them get their gawking out in private ahead of time.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Chiming in to say the interview process definitely reflects on how I feel about working for a company. Making me copy my CV into a web app for HR makes me think this company isn't really concerned about having people doing double/unnecessary work or value my time. Doing tests on paper shows a company is living in the past and not really focused on their digital transformation. Etc. The selection process is the first impression a company makes on a new employee. Why would you gently caress that up?

That being said, it all depends on your priorities and what you're prepared to put up with. If you feel the job's worth it or it's common practice for your sector, you do you.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Honestly if this had been an option back then, I'd have gladly supported it. We could have avoided interviewing the guy who applied to be the director of student life who ended up giving off MASSIVE child predator vibes in the interview.

I can see how this would be insulting if you were hiring within but it wasn't that big of a hassle and honestly, being trans, I appreciate the opportunity to let them get their gawking out in private ahead of time.

How is this any better then just doing an initial phone screen with someone from HR though? Have a five minute actual back and forth with a recruiter or hiring manager as the initial screen, weed out as many of the creeps at that point as you can.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
larches doesn't have to see the reaction this way. Makes sense to me.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I remember when I was in a rough patch, I applied at a local electronics manufacturer. As a part of the hiring process, they have you take an aptitude test, basically a scaled down SAT/ACT with basic math and stuff.

The HR person comes back to me "are you sure you want this assembly job? You scored engineering level on the test."

"Are there engineering spots available?"
"No"
"Well, I really need a job right now, so that doesn't matter, does it?"

Ended up in IT less than a year later, but it was a good step back into the workforce.

Also: the morality tests are loving garbage and any company who uses them will almost guaranteed be a loving nightmare.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Arquinsiel posted:

larches doesn't have to see the reaction this way. Makes sense to me.

I always forget this is something awful dot com and goons will goon tremendously over the smallest things

To each their own I guess. I'm really sorry I forced y'all to experience this :ohdear:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:golfclap:

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/245316/new-home-with-cat5e-doesn-t-work

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

larchesdanrew posted:

To each their own I guess. I'm really sorry I forced y'all to experience this :ohdear:

:glomp:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

That actually kinda makes some sense if you assume whoever ran it originally was using it just for dialtone POTS stuff where you're only actually using a single wire pair.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Currently on a call with Duo and the telco to figure out why DTMF doesn't work

:suicide:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

I always forget this is something awful dot com and goons will goon tremendously over the smallest things

Eh, TBH we can all benefit from being shown a different angle on these things, even if we still don't like them personally afterwards.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Eh, TBH we can all benefit from being shown a different angle on these things, even if we still don't like them personally afterwards.

Yeah I wasnt upset at someone doing it, I would too if I really wanted a job. I just dont personally like it. Different strokes for different folks.

The dream standard application process for me is submitting a resume, no form filling, and an initial phone screen followed by a a round or two of interviews, one of which is tech focused. I think companies fool themselves thinking they are getting better candidates with all of these extra hoops.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Entropic posted:

That actually kinda makes some sense if you assume whoever ran it originally was using it just for dialtone POTS stuff where you're only actually using a single wire pair.

Nah, it still doesn't make sense because if you wire it properly network style you can still run two lines of dialtone over it, but it's also actually useful for what it's intended for. This is just a sign of a wiring contractor who was told to install Cat5 and either has no idea how it's supposed to be done or intentionally did it the wrong way.

IMO any time someone splits, splices, or daisy chains ethernet-grade cabling they are doing something wrong no matter what. At best they're putting in significantly more expensive cable than needed while making it hard/impossible to use the actual capabilities of the cable. At worst they're newly installing a legacy non-VoIP phone system. Either way they're ripping off their client.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 25, 2022

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

This is exactly the poo poo I'm afraid of in the house I recently moved in to. I noticed our wiring wasn't working, looked at the ends and they're crimped incorrectly (568A/B standards? What's that?). I just bought new crimpers & punch tools, so I'll be re-doing those ends, but I'm hoping like hell some poo poo like this isn't hidden in the walls.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I made so much money when I was like 16 from people in my parents neighborhood who wanted 'phone lines' in their basement or whatever. Bought a huge spool of 2 pair cable and a little stapler.

TWBalls posted:

This is exactly the poo poo I'm afraid of in the house I recently moved in to. I noticed our wiring wasn't working, looked at the ends and they're crimped incorrectly (568A/B standards? What's that?). I just bought new crimpers & punch tools, so I'll be re-doing those ends, but I'm hoping like hell some poo poo like this isn't hidden in the walls.

Just cut and re-punch but worst case you can use that wire to pull new cat6 or if you're a sadist, cat6a

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sorry, gotta run cat8 everywhere now

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Out...630DY40C&sr=8-3

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I know 25GBaseT and 40GBaseT both have existed on paper since 2016 (802.3bq) and require Cat8 cabling but I can't find any NICs, switches, or SFP modules for it. Do they really exist as products or are these cables just there to trick people in to overpaying to run their 1G/10G LANs?

The seller is offering a 150 foot version as well, and Category 8 is only defined up to 36 meters (a bit over 100 feet).

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

wolrah posted:

I know 25GBaseT and 40GBaseT both have existed on paper since 2016 (802.3bq) and require Cat8 cabling but I can't find any NICs, switches, or SFP modules for it. Do they really exist as products or are these cables just there to trick people in to overpaying to run their 1G/10G LANs?

I mean the next house I wire will have whatever the loving latest spec is at that time - cost be damned. Rewiring is never gonna happen so unless you're literally adding some Ethernet to spruce up the house for sale the premium for whatever Category it is is a rounding error over time.

Monoprice currently wants $630 for 1000 feet of Cat8 and $180 for 1000 feet of Cat6, so yeah not having to rewire in 20 years (or not being stuck at 1 gig when everything has a 40 gig card in it) would be worth paying 3x now, assuming you don't plan to move.

edit: for some reason I was thinking residential, this doesn't apply as much with commercial
edit2: oh I know why, because TWBalls was talking about their house

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I live in a two-bedroom apartment with three cable drops, one in each bedroom and one in the bedroom. Only the one in the living room is actually connected to anything, so I have a 50' co-ax cable running down my hallway because I don't want my router at the other end of the apartment from all my stuff. I think the apartments would connect the others if I pushed it, but that would mean having maintenance guys coming and going for who knows how long, so gently caress it.

The last three apartments I've lived in have been the same way, I've been using this 50' co-ax for over a decade at this point. It's really bewildering to me that apparently apartments never bother to wire up all the drops they have installed. I'm sure it saves money at the start, but I have to imagine most people aren't as willing as me to leave a cord running down their hallway indefinitely and it's got to ultimately cost more to go back and connect the drops later.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Knormal posted:

I live in a two-bedroom apartment with three cable drops, one in each bedroom and one in the bedroom. Only the one in the living room is actually connected to anything, so I have a 50' co-ax cable running down my hallway because I don't want my router at the other end of the apartment from all my stuff. I think the apartments would connect the others if I pushed it, but that would mean having maintenance guys coming and going for who knows how long, so gently caress it.

The last three apartments I've lived in have been the same way, I've been using this 50' co-ax for over a decade at this point. It's really bewildering to me that apparently apartments never bother to wire up all the drops they have installed. I'm sure it saves money at the start, but I have to imagine most people aren't as willing as me to leave a cord running down their hallway indefinitely and it's got to ultimately cost more to go back and connect the drops later.

Its from cable techs unwiring the extra drops either to troubleshoot a noise issue, or just because while they do the install. I know every apartments I have been in getting any other jacks turned on means calling the cable company

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've pulled the cover plates off to find the other ends of the runs to the other outlets. Usually with a union you can swap around to move the signal where you want, or change it out to a splitter.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It's been the cable techs during the initial setup that have told me they can't activate the other drops without running new cables. Maybe they're just trying to get out of there as soon as possible.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

wolrah posted:

The seller is offering a 150 foot version as well, and Category 8 is only defined up to 36 meters (a bit over 100 feet).

If memory serves anything over 10g isn't supposed to be terminated on rj45 but on tera/gg45, which is expensive enough to make people run fiber instead, that might explain the lack of interfaces.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

bell jar posted:

When I last applied for a job 5 years ago, they (the recruitment agency filling the role) made me do one of those video responses. Eventually when I was hired I asked what they thought of the video and was told that they didn't even watch it :v:

Now I'm giving input on who our hires should be and sometimes I watch the video if I remember it's there. From my perspective I think it's just something recruiters do in an attempt to justify the outrageous amount of money they get for matching people with employers. Same with deconstructing your CV and reassembling it in their own custom recruiter brand resume. It's just fluff.

From what I've heard, the record a video step is a can be racism check. Its a speedbump/red flag to screen people that 'don't fit into office culture'; as in, we legally can't ask you abut your nationality when applying because of discrimination, but we can ask for a video and bin your application if we don't like what we see.

Do it if you want the job or think its a good opportunity, sure, but it should inform your questions when you interview the company after you get past it.

Tldr; if they make you do it, ask about diversity when you get to a facetime interview

larchesdanrew posted:

So, having been part of the hiring and interview process for some upper tier university positions, I can say that this is definitely part of weeding out the crazies without a huge commitment of time from everyone.

The second a director level position opens, so many people apply who don't qualify even a little but lie heavily on their resumes and cover letters. Having them do an interview-style assessment with even basic questions can be hugely revealing.

On the flipside, I understand this position. The funniest story I have is a chef friend that worked at a state university, and their manager came to them for advice about weeding out the people who lie on their resume.(there was a lot, as in "too many to handle, please help me get the good ones") It was for a kitchen job, non management, serving, prep, that sort of stuff.

Their response was to think a minute, then have their manager tell all applicants that their daily duties involve sweeping, taking out the cardboard and trash and mopping the freezer daily.

They hired everyone that laughed, had a rude response, and one guy just stood to get up when he heard that line. He got the job.

(to explain: this is one of those off the cuff things that people don't think about and take at face value and is a sort of culture/brain check. If you don't know, it makes sense from a cleaning duty perspective.

If you DO know, well, you never mop the freezer because its an extreme falling risk, cuz water freezes.)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 26, 2022

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Submit your video with a shadow over your face and voice disguised like when they interview undercover cops on tv shows

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Look up a photo of their CEO and create a facerig with it, for your video.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Is the American obsession with college degrees as a requirement for jobs that really don't need it just a hangover from Jim Crow ?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Baconroll posted:

Is the American obsession with college degrees as a requirement for jobs that really don't need it just a hangover from Jim Crow ?

You'd think companies would drop it as part of DEI

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Baconroll posted:

No, its just laziness. Most positions will actually accept experience instead of a degree, but you have to actually try for it to find out if they do

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I work with idiots

we have unlimited vacation time, and management keeps scolding us for NOT using it

I take a week every couple months because duh, they don't pay me enough to show up to work reliably

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

A ticket came in, somehow from a patient staying in the hospital?

How this patient managed to get our service desk number from a nurse is beyond me and why the helpdesk took the time to create this ticket from a patient is something my director is going to have a word with the helpdesk director about.

He thought that because he works for or used to work for the company that supplies the interpreter app we use on iPads he could offer up such fine suggestions as

1) Add more wireless APs to 2 of our floors(lol sure buddy, somehow from using 1 app on an iPad you suddenly think you know how our wireless infrastructure is setup?)
2) Upgrade to new model iPads(the company we pay for the app sends us the iPads, so, I guess go back to your company and tell them to upgrade?)
3) Put the username/password on the iPads for the app(lol no, sure lets just put the username/pw of an app that costs per minute use on all 30+ interpreter iPads we have in the hospital)
4) iPads should be in the DMZ not behind a firewall(big LOL at this)

I don't have time for this stupid poo poo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mattfl posted:

:stonklol:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

mattfl posted:

How this patient managed to get our service desk number from a nurse is beyond me and why the helpdesk took the time to create this ticket from a patient is something my director is going to have a word with the helpdesk director about.

He thought that because he works for or used to work for the company that supplies the interpreter app we use on iPads he could offer up such fine suggestions as

1) Add more wireless APs to 2 of our floors(lol sure buddy, somehow from using 1 app on an iPad you suddenly think you know how our wireless infrastructure is setup?)
2) Upgrade to new model iPads(the company we pay for the app sends us the iPads, so, I guess go back to your company and tell them to upgrade?)
3) Put the username/password on the iPads for the app(lol no, sure lets just put the username/pw of an app that costs per minute use on all 30+ interpreter iPads we have in the hospital)
4) iPads should be in the DMZ not behind a firewall(big LOL at this)

I don't have time for this stupid poo poo.

"Opinion noted. Closing as complete."

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bargearse posted:

"Opinion noted. Closing as complete."

Almost exactly the words I put in the ticket when I closed it lol

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

mattfl posted:

Almost exactly the words I put in the ticket when I closed it lol

There's nothing better than "helpful suggestions" from people who have no idea and aren't even remotely in a position to know.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Just assume he was on a significant amount of painkillers while he wrote all that, and ignore it as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

mattfl posted:

I've had this happen more than once in my life and every time I'm like, stop. This is madness