Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

A quick thought on Geneva Convention chat. The Convention does have the idea of proportional retaliation. So if Army B summarily executes 100 POWs from Army B, Army B can do the same to 100 of it's POWs from Army A.

In this case, I think Ukraine is on firm legal ground to video record POWs calling their parents and release those video recordings to the global public, in retaliation for Russia targeting hospitals, using cluster munitions in residential areas with no known combatants in those buildings, and looting and pillaging.

If this is a joke it's not particularly funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheRat posted:

One of these two is explicitly a war crime, and it's not the thermobaric weapons.

Given Russian's history of war criming, I'm not going to get pissed about videos of POWS being well treated being allowed to call family/friends. There's bigger fish to fry. Given that the Ukrainian response is largely driven by Partisan and irregular forces now, I'll get angry when they actually harm a POW. Thusfar they've been more than accommodating to Russian POWs.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Going off of actual no-poo poo unsecured short wave radio chatter from the Russian units themselves this is actually true.

This thread includes actual recordings of the soldiers themselves, if you want to listen and can speak Russian

https://twitter.com/sbreakintl/status/1498619309618503680?t=9avDDkfNwlSH8hH4thZpjQ&s=19

this should be more worrying than reassuring if its at all true. if the russians are able to get this far with soldiers who dont even know their at war and no logistics, then its a matter of time until they start figuring some poo poo out and ukraine is totally boned

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks for the detailed response Dante.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
“What if war crimes are acceptable if I like the criminal” is not a wise take, full stop.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Might have been posted.

https://twitter.com/danriversitv/status/1498612647729811461

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dante posted:

This is 100% false, which has been posted over and over in this thread. To quote the ICRC:

not sure you read that all the way through, as there's this part which has been consistently ignored:

quote:

If there is a compelling public interest in revealing the identity of a prisoner (for instance, owing to their seniority or because they are wanted by justice) or if it is in the prisoner’s vital interest to do so (for example, when they go missing), then the materials may exceptionally be released, but only insofar as they respect the prisoner’s dignity

both of those exceptions arguably apply here: there are compelling public interests in revealing the identity of the prisoners because the country they are from are lying to the public about where they are and what they are doing; also given that the country they are from is lying to its public about what is happening to its soldiers, it is in their interest for this to be broadcast in a way russia cannot surpress

in any event, assuming for the sake of argument that it is in fact prohibited, it is an incredibly minor infraction compared to launching an unprovoked war of conquest in which civilians are being deliberately targeted so uh let's continue discussing the international crime equivalent of jaywalking i guess?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What are russians envisioning when they say "nazi" anyway? In the US when people think of nazis the primary attribute is being very racist. Anti-jewish racism specifically. like "a nazi is the guys who did the holocaust" is their primary attribute when we are saying someone is "a nazi", like nazis did other things too but that is the specific connotation of calling someone nazi, being extra racist. Is that the same in russia? What guy are the imagining when they think of "a nazi"? If they say ukraine is full of nazis are they mostly saying it's super super racist, or is there some other specific thing they are trying to say? It feels like russia had a different sort of history with nazis than the US did, the whole nazi thing is clearly just a boogieman they are using, but are they being super random or does "a nazi" conjure up a different image in a russian memory than in the US?

Primarily it's meant to conjure up the image of the Great Patriotic War. To Russians, the Nazis are first and foremost the people who invaded and brutalized the USSR and were defeated at great cost. The ideological side, as a war against fascism and ultranationalism, was played up heavily during the USSR days, but less so now.

From the PoV of the current Russian elite's interpretation of history, the Great Patriotic War is no longer viewed as the great clash between communism and fascism, but as the great clash between Russia and invading Westerners. The brutal and genocidal nature of the Nazis is attributed less to their racist ideology and more to their, well, German-ness and Western-ness. Thus, modern enemies of Russia can be connected, however tenuously, to Nazism, as under this view they share the essential characteristic of Nazism: being the emanation of the eternal Western desire to subjugate and enslave Russia. It's a view of the world that's based on civilizations having these ultra-long-term essential characteristics that may manifest differently depending on the era, but at the end of the day, Napoleon's invasion, Hitler's invasion, the Cold War, and now "NATO encirclement" are chapters of the same story with different trappings. Hence Nazis.

This is, of course, insane, and mostly the view of a handful of nationalist intellectuals influential mainly in the Kremlin. So propaganda needs to play up the Azov thing for the general public. But if you're a hardline Putinist, then the above is probably your logic.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Tearing up the Geneva Convention to own the Putinists

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

“What if war crimes are acceptable if I like the criminal” is not a wise take, full stop.

nurmie posted:

Tearing up the Geneva Convention to own the Putinists

You can stop with the hot takes now, thanks.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Interesting article providing some possible explanations for the lack of Russian Air support

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/mysterious-case-missing-russian-air-force

Summary:

1. Russia may be running out of precision/guided missiles and doesn't yet have political approval to drop unguided munitions - this seems to be changing

2. Risk of friendly fire incidents - communication/coordination has been demonstrably hosed on the ground and jumpy Russian SAM operators may be as big a threat as Ukrainian ones

3. Lack of experienced pilots - I'll quote the article directly for this

quote:

While accurate numbers across each unit are hard to find, periodic Russian official statements suggest an average of 100–120 hours per year across the VKS as a whole. Fighter unit flying hours are likely to be lower than those for transport or helicopter units, so the real figure is probably a little under 100. RAF and US Air Force fighter pilots often complain that they struggle to maintain multirole combat readiness with around 180–240 flying hours a year, access to modern high-fidelity simulators for additional training, and better cockpit ergonomics and weapon interfaces than their Russian counterparts.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Sorry, but you're portraying those soldiers as more naive than it is reasonable. They crossed the border with countless tanks and other hardware. The only way they could have thought they were still peacefully doing their own thing within Russia, when some wild Ukranians started to shoot at them is if they accepted the propaganda that the Eastern Ukraine already declared to be part of it.

They went to the border to do some posturing and suddenly Putin told them to cross it. There's no big ambiguity there.

Lots of these people genuinely didn't seem to realize they were in Ukraine and were just following the truck in front of them at night.

Even from the command side this whole things seems really weird. Command sent the forces in without orders, supplies, communication or officer support. It's like they were under the assumption that actual combat is a negligible risk not worth considering? This operation is absolutely bizarre.

Putin might have been 99.9% sure that Ukraine will just collapse.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I think we can deal with a minor breach of the Geneva convention after they have defended their country or died trying. I assume anyone tut tutting the Ukrainian government is more than ready to execute Russian leadership at the hague.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Lots of these people genuinely didn't seem to realize they were in Ukraine and where just following the truck in front of them at night.

Even from the command side this whole things seems really weird. Command sent the forces in without orders, supplies, communication or officer support. It's like they were under the assumption that actual combat is a negligible risk not worth considering? This operation is absolutely bizarre.

It's almost so unbelievable it might not even be true.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Grouchio posted:

Morning goons! Anything I missed since midnight EST?

Everyone in Moldova has been replaced with pod people.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Whelp, looks like Belarus made it official.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

TheRat posted:

Again, there's literally recordings of Russian military personnel talking to each other on short wave radio where they say it's true

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

It is not, no. They are legal to use.

Russian special forces used thermobaric rockets in the Beslan school siege.

Take that in, they used thermobaric weapons against a school filled with Russian children who were being held hostage.

I can only imagine what they are going to do the Ukrainians... :(

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Lots of these people genuinely didn't seem to realize they were in Ukraine and were just following the truck in front of them at night.

They almost certainly lie - it sounds like a legend they were told to say if they are caught.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What are russians envisioning when they say "nazi" anyway? In the US when people think of nazis the primary attribute is being very racist. Anti-jewish racism specifically. like "a nazi is the guys who did the holocaust" is their primary attribute when we are saying someone is "a nazi", like nazis did other things too but that is the specific connotation of calling someone nazi, being extra racist. Is that the same in russia? What guy are the imagining when they think of "a nazi"? If they say ukraine is full of nazis are they mostly saying it's super super racist, or is there some other specific thing they are trying to say? It feels like russia had a different sort of history with nazis than the US did, the whole nazi thing is clearly just a boogieman they are using, but are they being super random or does "a nazi" conjure up a different image in a russian memory than in the US?

Perpetual excuse. Around a decade ago a man I came to know made a documentary investigating after a friend was killed by Russian "Neo Nazis", eventually infiltrating the group. It's kind of hardcore and very cinematic and very weird. Played numerous big festivals. Long story short and kind of unspoken in the film is that Putin basically developed and funded Neo Nazi groups themselves that he kept tabs on so he could make them a problem before an election that he would then crush to make himself look heroic.

trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFBnCghReIY

in full on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQgfRkINnU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Putin was absolutely sure. This wasn't a war, this was meant to be a color revolution as a wave of popular support ousted an unpopular pro-western government. The soldiers would show up, maintain order and reinforce the new government, and not need major reserves of fuel or supplies because they wouldn't be doing much outside of photo ops.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

:stare:

As a historian it's loving fascinating to see one change in the calculus reunite a fracturing NATO and EU and resote many alliances that were starting to fall apart

Also fascinating to see France reascend to prominence as the leader of Europe with and Germany reversing course on pacificism.

Putin effectively isolated Russia with this dumb poo poo better than any American CIA op or President could have done in 30 years.

Nice job idiot :bravo:

It’s how history is. No one expected Russia to be the nation that went communist(most expected Germany because industry/labor) etc but it happened. I am sure historians will be picking this apart for decades if not longer.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Sorry, but you're portraying those soldiers as more naive than it is reasonable. They crossed the border with countless tanks and other hardware. The only way they could have thought they were still peacefully doing their own thing within Russia, when some wild Ukranians started to shoot at them is if they accepted the propaganda that the Eastern Ukraine already declared to be part of it.

They went to the border to do some posturing and suddenly Putin told them to cross it. There's no big ambiguity there.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1498668774957924356?s=20&t=A42bBJcoAJG4vEIBLwRhmQ

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

You can stop with the hot takes now, thanks.

So we’re clear, what is the hot take? Is the hot take that breaking law of armed conflict is fine, or is the hot take that you should not break the law of armed conflict? Not trying to snark, trying to figure out which topic is now off limits to avoid probations etc ITT.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MasterSitsu posted:

Perpetual excuse. Around a decade ago a man I came to know made a documentary investigating after a friend was killed by Russian "Neo Nazis", eventually infiltrating the group. It's kind of hardcore and very cinematic and very weird. Played numerous big festivals. Long story short and kind of unspoken in the film is that Putin basically developed and funded Neo Nazi groups themselves that he kept tabs on so he could make them a problem before an election that he would then crush to make himself look heroic.

trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFBnCghReIY

in full on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQgfRkINnU

He did that with Chechen groups too. It’s kinda of his hobby.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fatherboxx posted:

They almost certainly lie - it sounds like a legend they were told to say if they are caught.

Yeah, i'm not sure i really believe the stuff being said.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KitConstantine posted:

Also pretty clear those POW videos going out are "working", making Russian mothers actually question state TV. Warning: this is pretty heartbreaking to watch. Moms are moms no matter where they live

https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/1498641628478726149?t=GE6_Ie69gfDTTA0cBt06sQ&s=19

Isn't it a war crime for Radio Free Europe to run this? It's not the same as when some civilian outlet does it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

GABA ghoul posted:

It turns out a platoon of soldiers just got lost during the sabre rattling exercise, so they invaded on accident. When Putin heard that he refused to end them back, because in his eyes that would be backing down, or admitting mistakes, so he suddenly ordered all the others join them.
That seems more likely then the reality those soldiers are peddling.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

In more unsurprising news, looks like Lukashenko was lying about Belarus not being militarily involved in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1498673348183744518?t=tXhSdtAv6KWpCp92HTJ07w&s=19

Edit: translation from the replies, though I'd love someone from here to corroborate

https://twitter.com/Boy2021Master/status/1498675536314437633?t=oNRJcYdK-xuHYhH9ikpCTA&s=19

Doesn't look like support for Russia is universal in Belarus though

https://twitter.com/franakviacorka/status/1498674124520103943?t=3rYxo3r9UJQsa6IQon25oQ&s=19

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I think Putin was absolutely certain this would be easy. We joke about his increasing levels of isolation but it really seems as if since covid he's created an environment for himself where he only hears what he wants to hear. Like the talk about how the Ukrainian armed forces should switch sides because their leaders are drug-addicted neo-Nazis. I don't think he would keep repeating that unless he personally believed it was true, as absurd as it seems. He's always wanted to break Ukraine as an independent country and after what happened in Afghanistan with the Taliban, as well as the Western acceptance (or lack of pushback) against his previous military adventures in Eastern Europe he probably thought it would really be as simple as sending in the tanks and having the population come out and cheer them for liberating them from their democratic overlords.

Zelenksy not pulling a Ghani and running away at the first sign of danger was surely a crushing disappointment and I wish I could have seen Putin's face when he heard that news.

As far as the soldiers themselves, it seems that other than Putin, his top generals and kadyrov he told nobody that this would happen, so yeah I'm sure the great majority of the Russian soldiers did not expect to see actual combat. To say they didn't know they were driving into Ukraine after being given the orders to move is a little silly though.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 1, 2022

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Re Nazis:

Look at this huge piece of poo poo!

Guess what he’s the an ex Russian SF Lt Col who founded a PMC group called Wagner. It’s been used in various conflicts around the world as deniable assets and is currently in Ukraine!

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On which side, and what's your source?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/SouthAsiaIndex/status/1498607419387445249

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1498604876175409154

a lot of notable fighters of fascism in that list

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Dante posted:

The geneva conventions don't address weapon use. That's regulated by several different sets of treaties, none of which Russia has signed (for example they're not party to the Convention on Cluster Munitions).

Article 35 bans weapons that "cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering," as well as means of warfare that "cause widespread, long-term, and severe damage to the natural environment."

What are you on about?

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ethiopia specifically.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

In more unsurprising news, looks like Lukashenko was lying about Belarus not being militarily involved in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1498673348183744518?t=tXhSdtAv6KWpCp92HTJ07w&s=19

What the gently caress are the borders on that map :stare:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

freeasinbeer posted:

Re Nazis:

Guess what he’s the an ex Russian SF Lt Col who founded a PMC group called Wagner. It’s been used in various conflicts around the world as deniable assets and is currently in Ukraine!

They already tried to go after Zelensky in the hundreds, and failed. Confirmed by the group itself.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

TheRat posted:

fatherboxx posted:

Fair points.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

freeasinbeer posted:

Re Nazis:

Why did he take a selfie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah I mean as far as actual Nazis go the US has a great deal to do to get our own house in order.