Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

the white hand posted:

On which side, and what's your source?

If you are unaware of the Wagner group, whose name is a bit on the nose, you should do a cursory bit of research.

It’s a Russian PMC. It was reported they were potentially trying to kill zelenskyy and the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

Why did he take a selfie?

He's a big fan of The Chainsmokers

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

the white hand posted:

On which side, and what's your source?

wagner are russian side. been sent in to kill Zelensky and others. apparently a bunch died and now alot of the Wagner's are cut off and being left high and dry by the russian forces.

also the dude looks like a video game villian.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

It's like a world It's Allways Projection Fair.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mlmp08 posted:

So we’re clear, what is the hot take? Is the hot take that breaking law of armed conflict is fine, or is the hot take that you should not break the law of armed conflict? Not trying to snark, trying to figure out which topic is now off limits to avoid probations etc ITT.

Preeeetty sure the issue isn't the opinion, it's that opinion being formatted as a snarky one liner that doesn't even make a clear point.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Mozi posted:

I think Putin was absolutely certain this would be easy. We joke about his increasing levels of isolation but it really seems as if since covid he's created an environment for himself where he only hears what he wants to hear. Like the talk about how the Ukrainian armed forces should switch sides because their leaders are drug-addicted neo-Nazis. I don't think he would keep repeating that unless he personally believed it was true, as absurd as it seems. He's always wanted to break Ukraine as an independent country and after what happened in Afghanistan with the Taliban, as well as the Western acceptance (or lack of pushback) against his previous military adventures in Eastern Europe he probably thought it would really be as simple as sending in the tanks and having the population come out and cheer them for liberating them from their democratic overlords.

Zelenksy not pulling a Ghani and running away at the first sign of danger was surely a crushing disappointment and I wish I could have seen Putin's face when he heard that news.

it always blows my mind that eventually dictators and chuds will begin to truly, actually, 100% believe all the bullshit that they're spouting, instead of just using it to attain their goals. I can't fathom Putin's mind being clouded by racism, yes-men, and RUSSIA STRONK propaganda when he rose to power, but now? He definitely drank his own kool-aid.

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1498675925017370629?s=20&t=A42bBJcoAJG4vEIBLwRhmQ

how nice that they're all gonna go and punch each other all day long

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

TheRat posted:

One of these two is explicitly a war crime, and it's not the thermobaric weapons.

Says who?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What are russians envisioning when they say "nazi" anyway? In the US when people think of nazis the primary attribute is being very racist. Anti-jewish racism specifically. like "a nazi is the guys who did the holocaust" is their primary attribute when we are saying someone is "a nazi", like nazis did other things too but that is the specific connotation of calling someone nazi, being extra racist. Is that the same in russia? What guy are the imagining when they think of "a nazi"? If they say ukraine is full of nazis are they mostly saying it's super super racist, or is there some other specific thing they are trying to say? It feels like russia had a different sort of history with nazis than the US did, the whole nazi thing is clearly just a boogieman they are using, but are they being super random or does "a nazi" conjure up a different image in a russian memory than in the US?
Russia has the memory of being allowed to execute lots of nazis after ww2 so perhaps in this context it's best to simply understand "denazification" less as an actual statement of fact about there being nazis in Ukrine and more as a preemptive assertion of a right to execute members of Ukraine's government if they feel like it after they take control by retroactively declaring them to be "nazis."

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

ravenkult posted:

Article 35 bans weapons that "cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering," as well as means of warfare that "cause widespread, long-term, and severe damage to the natural environment."

What are you on about?

Dunno boss, doesn't say anything about "weapons that set your lungs on fire and pull them out through your mouth" there, looks ok to me.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

zone posted:

They already tried to go after Zelensky in the hundreds, and failed. Confirmed by the group itself.

These are the guys who threw dozens of vehicles and hundreds of men at a position of 40 US special forces in Syria. The special forces begged and begged them not to attack when they saw the buildup start.

They were utterly obliterated, and IIRC the US soldiers didn't even suffer a single injury.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Wait, is Saudi Arabia really going to do the US and UK like that?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really kinda wonder if China will stick with Russia, or will eventually speak out against it. On the one hand, they apply a lot of similar tactics, on the other hand, their government is a lot less hot headed and more analytical, to a scary degree. They must realize that this was a stupid decision for Putin, right?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

In that case, it’s still war, but rather weakly, and would shatter NATO unity. A bad idea.

I didn't say it was a good idea, I said I could see it happening.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Well, it's good that after holding all those fascism conferences in St. Petersburg they're holding one against it....

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Boris Johnson and other NATO representatives speaking now. God is he tough to listen to, just on an aesthetic level

Link

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

szary posted:

Saudi Arabia will show up to your conference and chat, particuarly if you invite them and not Iran.

e: they also like to signal to the US every so often that they have strategic choices. That's ultimately the dilemma over Yemen - if the US stops supplying them then they start buying from Russia/China.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

cant cook creole bream posted:

I really kinda wonder if China will stick with Russia. On the one hand, they apply a lot of similar tactics, on the other hand, their government is a lot less hot headed and more analytical, to a scary degree.

https://twitter.com/JFXM/status/1498658238187057152

This seems like maybe there's a gap starting to form between China and Russia.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

szary posted:

yes: https://apnews.com/article/biden-end-support-saudi-offenseive-yemen-b68f58493dbfc530b9fcfdb80a13098f

not going to leave the US alignment entirely but receptive to signalling its displeasure

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"I'LL MAKE MY OWN NATO! WITH BLACK MARKETS! AND WAR CRIMES!"-Putin

This will work on some very online people who will nod sagely

Lmao at not even inviting Belarus and all but dropping the pretext they are a seperate country

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I'm not so convinced this part of the Geneva Convention is a good thing if it prevents the agressor from being shamed at home. Just thinking about pictures of american POW during the vietnam war, and how they possibly made the war more unpopular at home leading to its eventual end.

Anyway, I find it in bad taste to complain when the defenders against a genocidal war of invasion break a less important rule in some way, when the other side is carpet-bombing cities.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

BREAKING: Nazi Germany going to hold the world's first anti-fascist conference in 1938, together with Italy and Japan

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

So what do they expect Russia to do? Immediately pull out?

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1498638623125774339?s=21

no but it means russia will eat more sanctions and other diplomatic/economic/etc stuff. it also makes sure there will be a Ukrainian government in exile.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Rubio posting again - this appears to match the map Lukashenko was speaking about in my earlier post, including the lack of planned troop movement via Odessa

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1498675082155241476?t=NMJo3dSvR4-DY6lPG17EMg&s=19

Makes me wonder if the Belarus video was maybe an unplanned leak?

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

freeasinbeer posted:

If you are unaware of the Wagner group, whose name is a bit on the nose, you should do a cursory bit of research.

My cursory research consisted of calling out an unsourced, histrionic post. Still no actual info forthcoming, from you or anyone else.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

cant cook creole bream posted:

I really kinda wonder if China will stick with Russia, or will eventually speak out against it. On the one hand, they apply a lot of similar tactics, on the other hand, their government is a lot less hot headed and more analytical, to a scary degree. They must realize that this was a stupid decision for Putin, right?

I think China is doing what China does and patiently waiting for an opportunity to exercise their soft power and expand belt and road into Russia via debt traps and intellectual property capture.

A lot of Russian defense contractors, resource companies and other details are ripe for the pickings should their economy collapse and isolation persists.

From a strategic perspective I think if Russia loses this conflict it'll be a net loss for the west anyway because China will gain access to all the goodies/resources in Russia and have a stronger position from which they can consolidate whatever power they want to establish in the Pacific.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

the white hand posted:

Isn't it a war crime for Radio Free Europe to run this? It's not the same as when some civilian outlet does it.

As far as war crimes go, the section surrounding POWs being broadcast is mainly meant to protect dignity and privacy so they aren’t used as props or humiliated. Honestly all this talk could have been bypassed if they just blurred out the faces of the POWs and didn’t publish their names. At the end of the day, there are worse things happening and this is mostly in poor taste rather than a serious breach (e.g. using them as hostages in a broadcast or showing their cruel treatment to scare off others). It’ll maybe merit a finger wag after the fact.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MonikaTSarn posted:

I'm not so convinced this part of the Geneva Convention is a good thing if it prevents the agressor from being shamed at home. Just thinking about pictures of american POW during the vietnam war, and how they possibly made the war more unpopular at home leading to its eventual end.

Anyway, I find it in bad taste to complain when the defenders against a genocidal war of invasion break a less important rule in some way, when the other side is carpet-bombing cities.

The mistreatment of american soldiers who returned home was very much not a good thing, not was any mistreatment and shaming of their innocent families.

E: poo poo all over leadership and command all you want. Hell, I applaud it. But the average grunt has very little say in what happens, their families even less so.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

These are the guys who threw dozens of vehicles and hundreds of men at a position of 40 US special forces in Syria. The special forces begged and begged them not to attack when they saw the buildup start.

They were utterly obliterated, and IIRC the US soldiers didn't even suffer a single injury.

Perhaps the Wagner group is a nice way to get neonazis to remove themselves from the gene pool.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Captain Theron posted:

Yeah, I'm not too worked up over if these technically break the letter of the Geneva convention.

This road I'm taking is excellently paved! I wonder where it leads, but ah, I suppose I'll find out.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

the white hand posted:

My cursory research consisted of calling out an unsourced, histrionic post. Still no actual info forthcoming, from you or anyone else.

Here ya go

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1498265699927662597?t=lmJ_1UdxY86WE9PycmGuiA&s=19

https://twitter.com/imakeokcontent/status/1498659164255522818?t=dD_28JWi_rozdZ_WBlZwfw&s=19

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

only some will show up and few will join. also probably a ton of weird chud and tankie lickspittles too.

KitConstantine posted:

Rubio posting again - this appears to match the map Lukashenko was speaking about in my earlier post, including the lack of planned troop movement via Odessa

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1498675082155241476?t=NMJo3dSvR4-DY6lPG17EMg&s=19

Makes me wonder if the Belarus video was maybe an unplanned leak?

probably. so i guess western ukrain is getting taken too. christ, they really think occupying it will be easy.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I meant sources that have something more than you do

e: but fair enough, the Times is relying on Ukrainian govt sources it seems

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Catpain Slack posted:

Dunno boss, doesn't say anything about "weapons that set your lungs on fire and pull them out through your mouth" there, looks ok to me.

Thermobaric explosives are not alone in causing horrific injury and death or lasting environmental damage. They are atrocious, so are just regular explosives, Javelin missiles do horrific things to the crew inside of vehicles. Thermobaric munitions are not illegal despite their horrific results. War is just awful and there is no sense in trying to rules lawyer which exact flavor of horrific death is more horrific than another.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fatherboxx posted:

Sorry for linking a twitter thread but this is a good explanation

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1497306746330697738

Shorter form: in Brezhnev's rule it was clear that communism as ideology and/or reachable goal was impossible, so The Victory started replacing it. In the current, capitalist Russia, the state ideology is mostly void except for The Victory, which still can touch people older than 40.

Thanks for linking this, it was a good explanation.

So when Putin says de nazify he means de-ukrainian, because he tags ethnic Ukrainians as "nazis" because he's a horrible racist.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crespolini posted:

This road I'm taking is excellently paved! I wonder where it leads, but ah, I suppose I'll find out.

yeah in about two hundred years videos of captured prisoners saying they had no idea they were being sent to war might lead to an aggressive war of conquest with indiscriminate artillery fire against civilians and cities

better focus on that

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ravenkult posted:

Article 35 bans weapons that "cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering," as well as means of warfare that "cause widespread, long-term, and severe damage to the natural environment."

What are you on about?

thermobaric weapons aren't banned by geneva. there are a lot of sources claiming this but it isn't true

what definitely is banned is launching bombs of any sort into civilian areas. using non-banned weaponry against civilians in an indiscriminate way is what is banned. the action, not the weapon

some weapons are banned by other treaties, such as cluster munitions. russia is also using those weapons, and russia did not sign the treaty banning them (neither did the USA)

MonikaTSarn posted:

i find this whole conversation somewhat pointless because everyone is becoming experts in international war crimes law all of a sudden for the sole purpose of outflanking and owning their posting enemies and its pretty weird

war crimes are bad, and its good to know what a war crime is, but its less good for everyone to get out the measuring stick so we can see who can most accurately guess the precise ethical quantum of the badness of various war crimes, to see who is the most smartest poster

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 1, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Preeeetty sure the issue isn't the opinion, it's that opinion being formatted as a snarky one liner that doesn't even make a clear point.

Ok. Here are two plus lines.

People should not advocate breaking law of armed conflict. It is tempting to ignore the rules when you empathize with one side over the other and when one side (UKR) is clearly the victim in the macro sense. That is a bad road. The rules are ironclad for a reason. You do not get to ignore the rules just because the other side is worse and started the war.

“They were lovely first” is still a bad road to travel. War is awful and these laws are broken in essentially every single conflict, but that does not make their breaches good or worthy of defending.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ravenkult posted:

What are you on about?

It doesn't mean what you want it to mean. Thermobaric weapons don't cause any more superfluous injuries or unnecessary suffering than, say, being shot with bullets or getting blasted by artillery.

re: damage to nature https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_Rouge

quote:

The area is saturated with unexploded shells (including many gas shells), grenades, and rusty ammunition. Soils were heavily polluted by lead, mercury, chlorine, arsenic, various dangerous gases, acids, and human and animal remains.[1] The area was also littered with ammunition depots and chemical plants.

Some areas where 99% of all plants still die remain off limits (for example, two small pieces of land close to Ypres and Woëvre), as arsenic constitutes up to 175,907 mg/kg of soil samples.[4]

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

evilweasel posted:

not sure you read that all the way through, as there's this part which has been consistently ignored:

both of those exceptions arguably apply here: there are compelling public interests in revealing the identity of the prisoners because the country they are from are lying to the public about where they are and what they are doing; also given that the country they are from is lying to its public about what is happening to its soldiers, it is in their interest for this to be broadcast in a way russia cannot surpress

in any event, assuming for the sake of argument that it is in fact prohibited, it is an incredibly minor infraction compared to launching an unprovoked war of conquest in which civilians are being deliberately targeted so uh let's continue discussing the international crime equivalent of jaywalking i guess?

Yeah from a legal perspective I think that there's probably a fair argument that there's a public interest to consider here - both in Ukraine and in Russia. A lot of these conscripts are basically being disappeared by the Russian military, and their families are consistently expressing total surprise because they aren't being informed. Perhaps faces should be obscured if there is legal ambiguity, as the convention suggests, but the overall concept of broadcasting a specific type of "proof of life" correspondence seems legally defensible.

That being said, I think that there's plenty of less controversial videos with similar emotional beats:

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1497652762280181765?s=20&t=9Edi_3QBCTFy5pE_GNL-Cw

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1498602696563040258?s=20&t=HkxlzrxmK_ULFL5j0hea7Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Nenonen posted:

It doesn't mean what you want it to mean. Thermobaric weapons don't cause any more superfluous injuries or unnecessary suffering than, say, being shot with bullets or getting blasted by artillery.

''Doesn't address weapons use'' was the post I replied to. It does.