Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Pookah posted:

Irish.
Our lovely politicians are fortunately still at the stage when the can be forced out by being shitbags about covid regs. Nowhere is perfect, but Ireland is generally very sensible, politically speaking. We don't do extremism.

Do you have a read on what Sinn Fein and former IRA types might think about this conflict?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pook Good Mook posted:

Billionaires are the same everywhere, they are motivated exclusively by money and wealth. They are entirely controlled by id.

I'm not expecting a palace coup, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Of course they are motivated by greed alone, but the way they rise to power compared to the West means that even starting to look for a coalition against the tsar is something that could easily cost them their lives, something they wouldn't have to worry about elsewhere. The institutional constraints are there for them. Of course, if all of them start sufficiently suffering due to Putin, this becomes moot.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
The invasion force apparently got doxxed.

https://twitter.com/RidT/status/1498692537741025284?s=20&t=_YOuhHQPMZdH8tH1p2EfYA

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I will laugh so loving hard if ultimately the reason the convoy stopped was because the very first vehicle ran out of gas.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1498726697230815237

I guess the Ghost of Kyiv was shot down but ejected and has shot down 21 Russian planes. Not sure if I believe all of it but it is absolutely insane if true.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheRat posted:

There's a fairly famous precedent that 'I was just following orders' isn't a valid excuse.

That famously didn't apply to individual soldiers of non-officer ranks.

NomChompsky posted:

I guess the Ghost of Kyiv was shot down but ejected and has shot down 21 Russian planes. Not sure if I believe all of it but it is absolutely insane if true.

It's one of the least true things ever.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Cimber posted:

Option D - Oligarchs who are pissed off about all the financial losses they are taking have someone slip him some polonium tea.
The oligarchs of today aren't the oligarchs of the 1990s. They are allowed their business empires at Putin's pleasure. He's their boss, not the other way around. You can have all the money you want, but it doesn't protect you from the guy with the army and the police.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

steinrokkan posted:

The problem people have with the concept of Russian oligarch is that they imagine them as American billionaires, the power behind the throne that moves all the strings, when in reality they are just feudal lords in an absolutist monarchy (where the monarch commands his own forces as well, independent of the oligarchs), they owe their fiefdoms to Putin. Doesn't mean they couldn't leverage them under certain conditions, but makes it unlikely and dangerous.

But a system like this requires that Putin retain the perception that he's powerful. There's no real ideology holding it together; Putin retains power by people fearing his power and his ability to offer access to it. The moment a man like him appears weak he's in danger.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NomChompsky posted:

It absolutely didn't happen, the "ghost of Kiev" was invented by War Thunder streamer and kinda rolled from there.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

NomChompsky posted:

Rofl. 6 based on a video game video was funny, but 21 is just getting silly.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Pookah posted:

I'm horribly uninformed, but I had gathered that taking Kiev largely undamaged was important because its ancient buildings are very symbolically important to the idea of a coherent, cohesive russian empire.
If they destroy old Kiev, surely they are destroying old imperial Russia,?

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1498712631431028741?t=jK8KsLUC5zfglZLW1ibGWA&s=19

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

NomChompsky posted:

There is no way this is true.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

JerikTelorian posted:

In HoI4 when the supply turns red in a zone I usually move units out, not in.

You joke, but in real-life I think Putin is unable to "see" that the zone has turned red for low supply units. It's as if you are eating lunch and asking your kid 8-year old brother to move your army in HoI4 for you. Your little brother barely knows what he's doing and you just sort of assume you're going to win anyway because you have 10x the army size, even if your army has to eat some attrition.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Beans posted:

I doubt the buildings have anything to do with it. The main benefit from rolling in and capturing the capital with minimal force and destruction is the demonstration of how unstoppable the invading force seems. That ripples down to all the people in the UA and civilians and influences their decision to continue fighting or not.

If they destroy ancient Kiev, they are going to have to do some crazy information management to convince the Russian people that Ukrainians mysteriously decided to destroy their own heartland to make Russia look bad.
Destroying Kiev makes no sense, unless Russia is desperate for a win, any win.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I want the ukrainian to win so badly. Just to say gently caress you to Vladimir and his weekend war machine

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

TheRat posted:

Rofl. 6 based on a video game video was funny, but 21 is just getting silly.

It's just propaganda. The Ghost is The Stig at this point. But it's a morale booster

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

In other news, with all the crypto donations going to Ukraine I was worried I would have to stop hating everyone involved in that loving terrible industry. Thank God such a nightmare was not allowed to become real

https://twitter.com/robaeprice/status/1498380415781924864?t=Q2IYQvPV5uc7_o_dOHsZGA&s=19

Unbelievable. I almost wish I didn't see this tweet

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Please stop using strategy video games to analyze an actual war, it's yikes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

To use video game terms, Putin is a king in Crusader Kings who has executed or exiled every single potential threat from his feudal underlings. He's removed anyone his vassals could possibly rally around to replace him. He's removed anyone who good stats from his inner circle. As a fully intertwined kleptocracy he's also engineered a situation where everyone under him is terrified their rampant crimes will be exposed in any sort of regime change. He's been fully willing to have the top levels of russia's civilian and military bureaucracy filled with the worst sort of cowardly careerists who are too busy robbing the country blind and loving it to ever think about challenging Putin.

Even if they knew continuing to follow Putin will doom them and Russia, they just don't have anyone to really rally around to replace him. They can see the ship is sinking but they can't just kill the captain because the captain has made sure anyone poised to replace him would be worse in some way. So many of these people are rivals too, so the thought of someone replacing Putin fills them with dread as the next guy might support their rivals.

It's a very common way for a lot of criminal organizations to structure themselves. So that no matter how unpopular the guy at the top is, everyone under him has too much to lose and too much uncertainty to risk a replacement.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

It's just propaganda. The Ghost is The Stig at this point. But it's a morale booster

I'm gonna believe this version of the story.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Ghost of Kiev reportedly flew past Putins window and flipped him double birds.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Upgrade posted:

:yeah:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

I wonder what he is listening to in the cockpit this week.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I mean legally speaking the exchanges probably are legally required now to not do buisness with russian interests due to the sanctions.

What I'm saying is it's only a matter of time before the EU and the USA hit them with a big rock and entire industry ezplodes like an overcooked crab.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Baronjutter posted:

To use video game terms, Putin is a king in Crusader Kings who has executed or exiled every single potential threat from his feudal underlings. He's removed anyone his vassals could possibly rally around to replace him. He's removed anyone who good stats from his inner circle. As a fully intertwined kleptocracy he's also engineered a situation where everyone under him is terrified their rampant crimes will be exposed in any sort of regime change. He's been fully willing to have the top levels of russia's civilian and military bureaucracy filled with the worst sort of cowardly careerists who are too busy robbing the country blind and loving it to ever think about challenging Putin.

Even if they knew continuing to follow Putin will doom them and Russia, they just don't have anyone to really rally around to replace him. They can see the ship is sinking but they can't just kill the captain because the captain has made sure anyone poised to replace him would be worse in some way. So many of these people are rivals too, so the thought of someone replacing Putin fills them with dread as the next guy might support their rivals.

It's a very common way for a lot of criminal organizations to structure themselves. So that no matter how unpopular the guy at the top is, everyone under him has too much to lose and too much uncertainty to risk a replacement.

Like this.

You don't need to use "video game terms" and Crusader Kings is not a good parallel to describe Putin using the past two decades to solidly his power. Come on guys. There are many actual real world examples that give a better context.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

NomChompsky posted:

I was literally 3 minutes ago taking a piss and having a fictitious argument in my head with nobody about how obviously propaganda the Ghost character is.
I mean, I love this poo poo but it's really, obviously your classic morale-boosting-war-hero stuff of legend.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Gripweed posted:

I really hope Biden explains why America absolutely cannot become involved with this war tonight. The longer this goes on the greater support for American involvement will get

https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1498707386558824450?s=20&t=gbkCvwaXZHvEWhgd97EEMA

It’s a single poll but this scares me. Talking with “normies” they really don’t understand how terrible a war with Russia would be. They aren’t some third world “backwater” like Afghanistan.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Weren't they Trump's favourite polling company? That should tell you all you need to know about them

And every other polling company massively underestimated Trump’s election performance.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Upgrade posted:

Baronjutter posted:

To use video game terms, Putin is a king in Crusader Kings...

I know this whole topic is very serious, but these two posts right next to each other made my day.

Also, yes, it's probably a bad form of analysis.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Holy poo poo. Imagine bringing Bolton on and thinking he would *compliment* Trump's actions regarding Russia, but this is loving brutal

It's a must watch.

https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/sta...ingawful.com%2F

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Popete posted:

The Ghost of Kiev reportedly flew past Putins window and flipped him double birds.

While inverted in a negative 4G dive

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

NomChompsky posted:

Ukraine has one trained fighter pilot and he just keeps ejecting and getting into new planes.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

thunderspanks posted:

I was literally 3 minutes ago taking a piss and having a fictitious argument in my head with nobody about how obviously propaganda the Ghost character is.
I mean, I love this poo poo but it's really, obviously your classic morale-boosting-war-hero stuff of legend.

Yeah, the name of the Ghost's plane might as well be "Piss Tapes"

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

thunderspanks posted:

He used his left wingtip to chop down George Washington's cherry tree on his way to toast flapjacks for Paul Bunyan

Upgrade posted:

I sorta thought that my mentioning HoI4 was enough to make it clear I was joking.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Zelensky is a Ravenclaw

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I saw unconfirmed reports that he flew over the Kremlin, turned the airframe upside down and straight up took a piss right in the window of Putin's office.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Kraftwerk posted:

Do you have a read on what Sinn Fein and former IRA types might think about this conflict?

No idea.
As a complete guess, they are desperately scrabbling for a take which leaves them some credibility while distancing them from Russia. Being anti US, anti UK is a reasonable position from many perspectives, but its extremely clear at this point that cosying up to Putins Russia is not a viable " enemy of my enemy is my friend" position

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

In this essay I will demonstrate why Mario 64 is necessary to understand the psychology of Putin...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

TheRat posted:

There's a difference between taking in refugees and taking in a literal fighting army of deserters.

What the actual gently caress are you getting at here? Do you think that a bunch of 18-year-old conscripts and "contractors" who didn't want to be in this fight in the first place are going to rise up from the refugee camp and be a fifth column in some European nation? What is your line of reasoning?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yesterday the Ukrainian claim was that Russia had lost 29 planes and 29 helicopters (not an unreasonable claim).

This would mean that one guy is responsible for 1/3 of them.

I mean if Russia isn't running CAP sorties and the Ukrainian air force is picking and choosing its engagements then it might not be literally impossible but I'm pressing doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Upgrade posted:

I mean, what other type of video game should we use?

"The problem Russia is having is like when you only teach your Pokemon offensive moves with low PP like Earthquake and Solar Beam"