Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Play posted:

Biden just accidentally said 'the Iranian people' instead of the Ukrainian people lmao. Right at what was supposed to be the finale of that section. Whoops

Watch him get mixed up again when he announces the Iran Deal is back in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

jmnmu posted:

If Russia bothered to make their propaganda even half believable it might actually do something. So far it seems outside of Russian people that seemingly only get their information from TV, literally no one is buying the bullshit visible from outer space being spewed by Russia.
I'm not sure it really matters since it's a lot harder to try to spin what is clearly an attempt to annex the entire company compared to going into specific regions anyway.

Admittedly it's pretty ridiculous at this point since it's as if they were trying to annex the US by saying "you had an alt right rally last year so it's denazification"

I guess they could have stuck to trying to blame NATO but that wasn't working much better anyway

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 2, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The time for no-fly zone is now

It is extremely not.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

khwarezm posted:

Out of curiosity, how does the supply of arms to Ukraine from the west compare against other proxy wars in the past, particularly Soviet assistance to the Chinese and North Koreans in the Korean war or Chinese and Soviet assistance to the Vietnamese during the war in Vietnam? Like I don't believe they were situations where America could reasonably claim that it was a hostile provocation that could be met with nukes.

It is apples and oranges, but Soviet support during the Korean war was instrumental: they supplied guns, tanks, fighters, fighter pilots (who flew under both the Chinese and North Korean flag) etc. Something like 1/3rd of the North Korean air force--nice shiny mig-15s at that--was given to them by the Soviet Union.

The US and EU, as far as I know, have only supplied more modest weapon systems along with food, medicine, and intelligence. That said, those modest weapons are very effective, easy to use, and relatively easy to transport, and as most of NATO does not share weapons platforms with Ukraine, handing over planes and tanks would not be a great idea.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

jmnmu posted:

If Russia bothered to make their propaganda even half believable it might actually do something. So far it seems outside of Russian people that seemingly only get their information from TV, literally no one is buying the bullshit visible from outer space being spewed by Russia.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

The Russian Embassy no-longer-in Canada with some "Mooom, he started it" along with the usual Nazi finger-pointing.
https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassyC/status/1498816008756383744

Oh geez, my bad. Not targeting civilians, and only striking military installations. How embarrassing for me, I’ve been telling people the opposite is happening all this time.

Egg on my face, here, fellas.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well, if their goal is to destroy Ukraine's military, perhaps they should focus on that instead of driving down the road in single file.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

jmnmu posted:

Normally they just signal boost local bullshit, which is a lot more effective than bluntly announcing to the world that Mecha Hitler has a Steppe Fortress. There are reports of Zelensky moving around the area on horseback!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Despera posted:

Wheres SANCTIONS EXPLAINER when you need him?

It works for NSA Wizard sometimes, lemme try:

FINANCE CASH BONDS INSTRUMENT EXCHANGE DERIVATIVE YIELD T-BOND NET ASSET VALUE ROI GROSS PROFIT DEFAULT SWAP FUND

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

And they're going to blame this on boomers again, and I'm sick of it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The idea behind the sanctions, in part at least, is that they will cause the Russian people to rise up against Putin. We've tried it before and it's never worked, but that's the theory. That becomes significantly harder to imagine working if other countries get involved on Ukraine's side. At that point this whole thing stops being Putin's adventurism, and starts to look more like a war Russia must win if they want to keep being a country. If NATO starts shooting at Russian soldiers, then it becomes very easy to present this as an existential threat to Russia. And people are way less likely to shoot their horse midstream in that situation.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

The Russian Embassy no-longer-in Canada with some "Mooom, he started it" along with the usual Nazi finger-pointing.
https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassyC/status/1498816008756383744

As a Canadian, I'm grossed out that this hot garbage is being broadcast in my country. Think it's time to turn this little piece of Ottawa into new off-market housing.

Also here's hoping the right-wingers that have been sucking off Putin in the US and Canada shut up quickly as the well runs dry.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

some kinda jackal posted:

Oh geez, my bad. Not targeting civilians, and only striking military installations. How embarrassing for me, I’ve been telling people the opposite is happening all this time.

Egg on my face, here, fellas.

We received reports the Ukrainian Nazis were operating out of the children's cancer hospital. They were using it as a refueling depot for the sarin gas guns

Where's Russia's havannah syndrome devices in this conflict? Can't they unwrangle Kyiv by projecting the brown note?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

And they’re correct there were obviously no plans for this aggression.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The drops have started in Kharkiv. I don't know how much info we'll be seeing out of the city itself until tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498859158644436996?t=G9pNZPk2TFtcEHQVkwuaAA&s=19

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

This is more of a general Ukrainian history question, but I think relevant to the war at hand. Ukraine is rich in natural resources like coal, iron, titanium and uranium, has a lot of heavy industry (steel and aluminium production in particular), arguably has the most fertile soil in Europe and is a huge food exporter accordingly, and potentially has a lot of natural gas deposits itself. With all this stuff going for it, how is it one of the poorest countries in Europe?

This is a very good question! Ukraine is not only the poorest country in Europe, it's also poorer than it was in 1990, just before the dissolution of Soviet. This is pretty unique among former USSR republics:

Ukraine had the roughest time of all the countries after the Soviet era ended, with severe hyperinflation and an awful decline in GDP per capita. While a lot of the USSR republics were either rich in natural resources (Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan for instance) or were very industrialized (Russia and Belarus), exports of manufactured goods from the constituent republics tended to be very heavily specialized with the exception of Russia which did everything. Ukraine's industrial place in the USSR system was generally to take raw materials and convert them to finished goods in relatively inefficient industries. When the soviet union collapsed, those domestic industries struggled to export. In addition Ukraine is colloquially known as "europe's breakbasket" and still exports a lot of agricultural products such as corn and wheat, much more than iron ore or iron intermediate goods (about the only economically significant natural resource it has an industry for). The sure-fire way to rapid GDP growth is industrialization, which generally means export-led growth in manufactured goods. Unfortunately for Ukraine the productivity growth/value-added is quite low in the agricultural sector. Generally countries with a massive agricultural base that has successfully industralized has done so by exporting agricultural goods to build foreign reserves with which to buy capital goods. Basically sell as much of your food produce as possible for dollars, and then use the dollars to buy machines abroad to build an industrial base. Ukraine for a variety of reasons did not do this in the post-soviet era, and it also had very low levels of foreign direct investment in manufacturing compared to the baltics for instance. The reasons for Ukraine choosing this path is probably complicated and it's difficult to determine casual relationships, but a general answer is that this was an institutional failure driven by local oligarchs securing control of the domestic manufacturing industry in Ukraine and not being interested in competition for these economic rents. Eventually Ukraine and Russia's relationship soured. This caused the end of subsidized natural gas for Ukraine - which further crippled it's domestic manufacturing. In general having oligarchs eat up your industries when Soviet collapsed has proven to be quite bad:
https://twitter.com/BrankoMilan/status/428890985569857536?s=20&t=KK8cNplAyvgeKQrwSJEy8g

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah to be honest I'm not quite sure why arming Ukraine to the extent we have been isn't considered more of an escalation by Russia? At this point it's looking like hundreds of their vehicles have been destroyed by western supplied munitions and the Russians don't seem to be frantically threatening to nuke the west as long as it's a Ukrainian pulling the trigger?
Russia/Soviet and the west has a very very long history of providing military equipment to separatists/insurgents/aligned nations during the cold war as a form of proxy warfare, so that line has a 70 year history of being crossed so much that it turned too blurry to see.

Dante fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 2, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gripweed posted:

The idea behind the sanctions, in part at least, is that they will cause the Russian people to rise up against Putin. We've tried it before and it's never worked, but that's the theory.

AT this point the sanctions are fairly unprecedented; there hasn't been anything like this scale of international sanctions implemented on anyone since the ww2 era, and the world and world trade is very different now from what it was then.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Should start taking all this captured armor, pretend to be fellow Russians and surprise attack them when they ain’t looking.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the colt was designed in the 1940s, but they are still manufactured today. its a useful platform for all sorts of applications. think of it like a flying van. militaries always have a need for light utility aircraft you can use to move small groups of people around, or to take the mail places, etc.

i didn't think the soviet military would try using them in combat in the year 2022 but idk, i guess there's some use for them maybe?

The US used the OV-10 forever, and, I think, considered using it against ISIS. Some old poo poo just works.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

a sexual elk posted:

Should start taking all this captured armor, pretend to be fellow Russians and surprise attack them when they ain’t looking.

VBIED.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

a sexual elk posted:

Big problem is armor might actually be more of a curse than a blessing: Need to fuel it, maintain it, be trained on it. Its probably better to either leave it to the Ukrainian military or destroy it.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

It's the little things. What I'd give for a hunk of that bread.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498859754600419328?s=20&t=a6Lw8FyouM0LYbJEFSiSuA

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498859603806855175?s=20&t=a6Lw8FyouM0LYbJEFSiSuA

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498860217010122754?s=20&t=a6Lw8FyouM0LYbJEFSiSuA

Don't know who that is

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

Big problem is armor might actually be more of a curse than a blessing: Need to fuel it, maintain it, be trained on it. Its probably better to either leave it to the Ukrainian military or destroy it.

A tank can be very good for blocking roads and other tasks. Like an immobile turret, a bomb shelter, taking the ammo and making ieds, hell you could throw a Russian speaker in it and use it to ambush foolish Russian conscripts in street to street fighting

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

A tank can be very good for blocking roads and other tasks. Like an immobile turret, a bomb shelter, taking the ammo and making ieds, hell you could throw a Russian speaker in it and use it to ambush foolish Russian conscripts in street to street fighting

Oh for sure

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

they have to say things like this, its not like they can say "we are aware NATO is giving our enemy shitloads of rockets and honestly, we're cool with it. fair's fair. we'd do the same thing"

it doesn't mean that russia can do anything about it though. NATO can't impose a no-fly zone for risk of shooting at russians and expanding the war, likewise russia can't risk interdicting the supply convoys and expanding the war

Yeah I guess I was just saying Russia was at least blustering about it, not that they necessarily can or will do something about it

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Charlotte Hornets posted:

How "easy" is it to break the wire pair doing too jerky corrections? I've seen some successful hits from Syrian TOW ATGM videos and there seemed to be lots of let's say sharp X or Y adjustments on the flight path.

3000-3700 meters at 300m/s doesn't leave a lot of time for corrections, that said they aren't cheap and I served during peace time so I only had a handful of live fires, obviously someone who's getting to fire a lot of them are going to have a better feel for the tolerance, experience being the best teacher.

Also the last time I fired one was in 1994. I was dual MOS so half my enlistment I was security forces where I spent a lot more time training for CQB and small arms or bored staring at a treeline.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Gripweed posted:

The idea behind the sanctions, in part at least, is that they will cause the Russian people to rise up against Putin. We've tried it before and it's never worked, but that's the theory. That becomes significantly harder to imagine working if other countries get involved on Ukraine's side. At that point this whole thing stops being Putin's adventurism, and starts to look more like a war Russia must win if they want to keep being a country. If NATO starts shooting at Russian soldiers, then it becomes very easy to present this as an existential threat to Russia. And people are way less likely to shoot their horse midstream in that situation.

Well that and it paralyzes the economy, and grinds complex logistical networks in about every sector to a halt.

Useful for long term being in being able to degrade a country’s ability to manufacture the weapons of war, or loving televisions. Which ever.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Any word of Kharkiv? The airborne drop is underway

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The idea for the sanctions is to moderate his behavior. Period. He backs down and they go away. Of course the reputational hit they've taken in the markets will gently caress them financially for a decade.

But Europe, I'm convinced surprised themselves. Now that they've gotten over the shock of projecting power, they've realized this is an opportunity to reset Europe as a polity.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gripweed posted:

It is extremely not.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Any word of Kharkiv? The airborne drop is underway

by way of the Kyiv independent, the Ukrainians are fighting off the attackers. No other news yet.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

the popes toes posted:

The idea for the sanctions is to moderate his behavior. Period. He backs down and they go away. Of course the reputational hit they've taken in the markets will gently caress them financially for a decade.

Exactly. By degrading the economic ability of a country to make war, or build cars, televisions, consumer goods. Which ever.

The pain of this is supposed to moderate behavior.

quote:

But Europe, I'm convinced surprised themselves. Now that they've gotten over the shock of projecting power, they've realized this is an opportunity to reset Europe as a polity.

It is pretty awesome to watch, isn’t it?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mariupol appears to be through the worst of it at the moment - the reporting is that electricity is back on, the source is the city mayor

https://twitter.com/The_IntelHub/status/1498860859166113797?t=q8hPlkelOeAreJ4UP4KGQQ&s=19

Nothing new on Kharkiv, the video floating around right now is from last night

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zone posted:

by way of the Kyiv independent, the Ukrainians are fighting off the attackers. No other news yet.

Good news possibly.

If they soundly defeat the airborne at this juncture there will probably be no more airborne assaults.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ZombieLenin posted:

Well that and it paralyzes the economy, and grinds complex logistical networks in about every sector to a halt.

Useful for long term being in being able to degrade a country’s ability to manufacture the weapons of war, or loving televisions. Which ever.

Does Russia even manufacture televisions? I think there is like four companies that can manufacture tv panels then every tv brand is butying those and gluing them in a frame

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ZombieLenin posted:

It is pretty awesome to watch, isn’t it?

No! This is very bad to watch!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

KitConstantine posted:

Mariupol appears to be through the worst of it at the moment - the reporting is that electricity is back on, the source is the city mayor

https://twitter.com/The_IntelHub/status/1498860859166113797?t=q8hPlkelOeAreJ4UP4KGQQ&s=19

Nothing new on Kharkiv, the video floating around right now is from last night

They're turning all the grain into bread as fast as possible to keep stomachs full in case of the encirclement by the Nazi menace.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Gripweed posted:

You can rarely draw a direct line between sanctions and regime change (regime change is always messy, it's hard to quantify to which extent sanctions contributed to the downfall of apartheid south africa for example), but there's been plenty of successful sanctions that have raised the cost of doing something so much that a country has changed course. Sanctions are pretty clearly a huge part of why Malawi became democratic in 1993, and the threat of non-proliferation sanctions is why South Korea abandoned the idea of a domestic nuclear industry. The idea behind these sanctions isn't causing a revolution in Russia, it's to compel Putin to the negotiation table because his economic power is getting wrecked.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Update on possible losses.

https://twitter.com/EnglishUkraine/status/1498865006267580418?s=20&t=ixWJudvomvyIP3W87Ik1aA

That other guy/twitter account counting Russian losses gave up because it's too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

ZombieLenin posted:

Exactly. By degrading the economic ability of a country to make war, or build cars, televisions, consumer goods. Which ever.

The pain of this is supposed to moderate behavior.

It should also be used as a carrot as well. I hope Europe and friends have made it clear through back channels which sanctions are on the table to be lifted if even a simple ceasefire can be arranged right now. The Ukrainians cannot possibly hope to win an indefinite war. The faster we both prod and bribe Putin to bargain meaningfully at the table, the sooner Ukrainians stop dying.