Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Jesus Christ, the kickstarter is over 14 mil now.

I imagine a success of this level is gonna spawn some imitators.

Edit: apparently it’s already at the #2 spot for most funded kickstarters ever. The only one ahead is the Pebble Time with 20.3m.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The number of imitators who then can't finish the books they promised is going to be brutal.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Khizan posted:

I don't really care for The Goblin Emperor, but I'm not sure how to explain my reasons without being spoilery. "Too cute for its own good" comes close, though.

My problem, really, is that Maia never actually has to do anything. A problem pops up, he's nice, the problem is either resolved by somebody else or is proven to not be an actual problem at all. He never overcomes a problem. He never learns anything new. He's just sort of passively nice and things work out in his favor. Entirely unsatisfying.

Yeah same. I was expecting a load of court intrigue and backstabbing, but it turned out that everyone who didn't openly hate him was 100% loyal

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cicero posted:

Edit: apparently it’s already at the #2 spot for most funded kickstarters ever. The only one ahead is the Pebble Time with 20.3m.

It's worth noting that if you're outside the US, shipping on physical rewards costs almost as much as the rewards themselves. If that's included in the pledges now, it's going to drastically inflate the total.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah same. I was expecting a load of court intrigue and backstabbing, but it turned out that everyone who didn't openly hate him was 100% loyal

I didn't mind that, to be honest. I found the protag a likeable enough person to enjoy spending time with, and I'm always happy to read a non-save-the-cat structure.

My biggest issue was more that, aside from some pointy ear references, it could just as easily have been french/German rather than elf/goblin. I don't think Addison's use of fantasy races really brought anything to the table besides implied antipathy between them. Haven't read the sequel yet, though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khizan posted:

I don't really care for The Goblin Emperor, but I'm not sure how to explain my reasons without being spoilery. "Too cute for its own good" comes close, though.

My problem, really, is that Maia never actually has to do anything. A problem pops up, he's nice, the problem is either resolved by somebody else or is proven to not be an actual problem at all. He never overcomes a problem. He never learns anything new. He's just sort of passively nice and things work out in his favor. Entirely unsatisfying.

to be fair that's what it is to be a head of state in an empire

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

FPyat posted:

Has anyone read Artifact Space by Miles Cameron? I didn't have any issues with the first chapter but stopped reading.

I was lukewarm on it at first but liked it more and more as it went on and was really enjoying it by the end.
I did not like the final twist that it's book one of a two book series and book two isn't even written yet! I even checked for that before reading because I'm sick of starting unfinished works and this fact wasn't mentioned on the author's website or Goodreads or the book's front matter or anything.

But it was fun until then, so I'd recommend it if you're ok with waiting for the second half of the story.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think one of the reasons books like Baru are so good (and why books like Hundred Thousand Kingdoms are so bad) is that they address how much self destructive brutal grind it takes to keep just a corner of an empire ticking over, unless you're a figurehead puppet.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Jedit posted:

It's worth noting that if you're outside the US, shipping on physical rewards costs almost as much as the rewards themselves. If that's included in the pledges now, it's going to drastically inflate the total.

Have not run a Kickstarter myself but looking at how it presents on the backer end, shipping should be included in the pledge amount, because it shows up as one transaction on your credit card.

Cicero posted:

More detailed discussion in the Sanderson thread but yeah, it's gonna be most funded, I think that's just a matter of time. The question is, will his fanbase treat this like a long preorder (for me personally, yes) and if so, how many people who don't typically pre-order will decide to do so and can he move the same number of copies that he typically would in a release week?

I'm betting it'll go to $31.7m with 150k backers and an average pledge of $211 but if it performs like his releases normally do, it could go much higher.

Cicero posted:

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The number of imitators who then can't finish the books they promised is going to be brutal.

Finishing the book (and by that I mean the prose inside the pages) by deadline (and to the expected level of quality) is trivial really. The issue is gonna be whether or not all the imitators can deal with the swag and logistics which is what's bumping up the Kickstarter pledge amounts. Sanderson's been building his merch and swag team for years and has self-pubbed two hardcovers with offset printers. That is something few other authors have. Also logistics and manufacturing are very complicated, it's like the one thing most new Kickstarter creators trip up on.

General Battuta posted:

Sanderson is, in his own words, 'not a words writer.' And hey, apparently a lot of readers aren't really there for the words either.

I like your words very much and enjoy them and I can appreciate beautiful prose too and sometimes I'll even buckle up and read Serious Literature.

But yeah, no, I don't read Sanderson for his prose, I read him for his magic systems and world building and a lot of his characters resonate with me. His style of plain workman-like prose that exists to deliver magic system geekery and plot twists without distracting from anything else suits that perfectly. That's a deliberate choice he made, knowing his own inclinations and capabilities. It's working out pretty well, I'd say.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I may be misremembering, but it seemed to me that telamon was less approving and more accepting because it was too late for her to change anything

She for sure didn't approve of anything but in the third volume she also constantly thought about running off, Oida even proposes it, but before she can ever get a chance to seriously contemplate it, Axio kidnaps her, messes her up, and there goes her opportunity. That was the last real possible turning point. From there the whole serial wraps up without further serious debate.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Leng posted:

Have not run a Kickstarter myself but looking at how it presents on the backer end, shipping should be included in the pledge amount, because it shows up as one transaction on your credit card.

Very typically no, shipping is added as a survey thingie after the campaign ends, so that number is probably much closer to the pledge level than pledge plus shipping.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It takes a couple of months to get referred for a diagnosis and the first step is filling in a massive questionnaire and returning it to your GP.

i'm sorry about your condition but LMAO at this, it's like a catch 22

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

silvergoose posted:

Very typically no, shipping is added as a survey thingie after the campaign ends, so that number is probably much closer to the pledge level than pledge plus shipping.
When you pick a pledge level it asks for your country, and on this Kickstarter it tags on a shipping fee. I'm not sure if Kickstarter internally applies that to the displayed funding total. There's still only the one charge when the funding period ends.

The $160 quarterly premium hardcover pledge is +$140 to the UK, for example.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

FPyat posted:

Has anyone read Artifact Space by Miles Cameron? I didn't have any issues with the first chapter but stopped reading.

I found it surprisingly enjoyable. I don't recall a ton beyond that liking it more than i expected, so it was fine but not incredible probably.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

90s Cringe Rock posted:

When you pick a pledge level it asks for your country, and on this Kickstarter it tags on a shipping fee. I'm not sure if Kickstarter internally applies that to the displayed funding total. There's still only the one charge when the funding period ends.

Huh! That's not how most KS campaigns I've seen work. Better this way for sure though, rather than being surprising later.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

I won’t deny some sour grapes. It’s tough to watch an author who’s set for life make millions in the same week a big corporate entity makes hundreds of millions off your work without paying you a cent. poo poo ain’t fair.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 2, 2022

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

General Battuta posted:

in the same week a big corporate entity makes hundreds of millions off your work without paying you a cent.
??

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Destiny had an expansion come out.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is weirdly snobbish. People find books at different times. Celebrate that it’s on sale so hopefully more people will go “huh never heard of that I’ll try it” and enjoy it!

i hate you the most

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i hate you the most

I haven’t read Goblin Emperor yet either so it’s justified. (sighs at mountain of books I need to read)

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Nomnom Cookie posted:

goblin emperor is an extremely good book and tbqh if anyone needed to wait this long after release and then wait some more for a sale before they would buy goblin emperor, i don't want to know. i would hate you

i mean still read the book because it's extremely good. just dont tell me

How YA is it?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Armauk posted:

How YA is it?

It doesn't feel YA at all, imo, although it's appropriate for teenage readers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

I won’t deny some sour grapes. It’s tough to watch an author who’s set for life make millions in the same week a big corporate entity makes hundreds of millions off your work without paying you a cent. poo poo ain’t fair.

Time to retitle the last book The Destiny of Baru Cormorant. Two can play at that game, motherfuckers.

(Yes, I'll be buying it.)

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I also haven't read Goblin Emperor, but between some of what you all have been saying and the details/critique in this Blood Knife article/review (it definitely contains spoilers), I'm not sure that I'd enjoy it for personal politics reasons (I am admittedly pretty far left, so the things pointed out in the Blood Knife article would probably stick in my craw, especially already being aware of them going in).

I don't think everything in fiction has to be revolutionary (that would be boring!) but I do wish there were maybe a little more of it, especially with how common stories that are pretty uncritical of the institutions of empire/monarchy are in fantasy. It's far far more common to see "It's just this specific ruler who is bad and needs to be replaced, not the systems that enable bad rulers/hierarchies" than not. (As an obvious example, this is a big reason why I like Baru so much! And General Battuta, I will happily give you more of my money, that blows that you're not getting any residuals/royalties for your work on Destiny.)

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ive heard the author of baru is a member of a forum full of notorious chuds and trolls

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm morbidly curious to see Rothfuss try this and what the end result would be, aside from the endless, fawning praise for him on reddit.

General Battuta posted:

:capitalism:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

goodness posted:

I read a lot but this thread makes me feel like I just learned how to read. How do you all remember so much about books you've read in the past, and how many hours do you average per week?

Memorably terrible or wtf content sticks around in my memory hard, no matter if it's from fantasy, scifi or non-fiction.
Tend to read vastly more non-fiction of any category than fantasy or scifi, estimate I dedicate about 12-16hrs a week to reading but I read pretty fast and never listen to audiobooks or podcasts.

I also keep an annotated list of what I've read, which I try to update within 4-24 hrs after finishing something or giving up on something.

For example, the past five weeks I've read non-fiction books about : the global cut flower industry, a book about animal rescuing the last official coney island diving horse, a book about a RAND Corporation wannabe whose real product was 93% hype about itself, a book about various mathematical formula's impacts on civilization, a book about how the authors want to eat extinct animals just to find out how they tasted raw or cooked, a book about how the US Forestry service cultivates seedlings/seed banks and maintains tree nurseries for conservation and forest recovery projects in the western half of the USA, a book about documented aerial drone usage in govt+warfare for the past 20 yrs, a book about how 1984 was the year that pop music overwhelmed every other music genre, etc. Plus add in about 3-6 normal fiction/mystery fiction/fantasy fiction/scifi fiction to that read pile.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Fumblemouse posted:

I didn't mind that, to be honest. I found the protag a likeable enough person to enjoy spending time with, and I'm always happy to read a non-save-the-cat structure.

My biggest issue was more that, aside from some pointy ear references, it could just as easily have been french/German rather than elf/goblin. I don't think Addison's use of fantasy races really brought anything to the table besides implied antipathy between them. Haven't read the sequel yet, though.

Presumably the sequel is Witness for the Dead, which is less a direct sequel than a spinoff in the same world. It follows Celehar, the Witness for the Dead, from Goblin Emperor in his reappointment to another city. He investigates wills, deaths, and generally goes about his way as a witness. I liked it, but found it had little direct tie to Goblin Emperor.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

professional jealousy is a hell of a thing

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hey, that's not fair.

e: much like the way corporations treat the writers they crunch to death and discard

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 2, 2022

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

General Battuta posted:

e: much like the way corporations treat the writers they crunch to death and discard
Oh poo poo just got off Wikipedia (I'm not in it, just on it), you went to U of C and are in any way surprised a PhiDelt hosed you over?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

What’s a phi delt

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
From Wikipedia, I learned that during (some of) my time at U of C Jones and Seropian were in this frat:

I had unpleasant conversations with members a couple of times.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I can understand GB being annoyed. Hell, just last week some publisher announced a 15 million dollar deal for Britney spears to write a book. Celebs get these gigantic book deals that are for books mostly ghost written by authors in the field who mostly don't get residuals. Then, when it comes time to publish something like a regular book, the advances for the "this is my actual job" is tiny, and you don't get poo poo till you earn out, and you'd loving better PRAY they know how to market your book. Publishing is a hosed up industry. Especially if you aren't a Koontz or a King.

While I'm not backing the Sanderson Kickstarter (only reason is I'm not a big fan), he's one of the VERY few authors I'd trust to come through on the actual product. There's maybe 4 others I'd trust, but other than that, no way. Too easy to lose money.

As far as Bob goes, the series gets less weird as space gets bigger. The later gen bobs all tend to have different voices, but yea the og one is a gigantic turbonerd.

Goblin Emperor is basically the story of an emotionally abused kid making friends. That's it. There's more intrigue and what not in the book, but if you don't wanna read a book about an abused dude who's shy as gently caress making friends, you are gonna loving hate that book. Haven't read the sequel (didn't know there was one).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Sanderson's worked his rear end off to get where he is, and while he's had a few good breaks (inheriting WoT) and while I don't really think much of his prose level craft and despair slightly at the second-order influences he's had on readers, there's no question he's done his mightiest to use his talents and develop his niche. His success has literally funded my advances.

But it's definitely frustrating to see the rich get richer while you write checks to pay off your back rent and struggle to get the special 'poor people health insurance' forms (available only by email, which sends you a phone number to call) to do your taxes. All while every other YouTube video is an ad for a gigantically successful video game with your writing parked right in the title. I am 100% professionally jealous of Sanderson getting paid for his good work. I wish I could get paid for my good work.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Britney deserves every penny though

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Agreed 100% :glomp:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

silvergoose posted:

It depends on how the campaign is set up. Currently for this Kickstarter:

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The ebook only + swag option is $360, plus $280 for shipping to Australia, as another. As a backer, when you select your shipping destination, it very clearly labels the green "Pledge" button with the amount of your pledge, e.g. "Pledge $640".

And buried here in the help files: https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005134073-How-do-I-charge-shipping-on-my-rewards-

Kickstarter Help Center posted:

Keep in mind that additional fees collected for shipping will be reflected in your funding amount while your project is live.

Kickstarter also splits out the funds raised for shipping in the creator backend too: https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035848053-How-do-I-use-the-Fulfillment-dashboard-

But yeah, if a creator hasn't researched shipping costs, they have to option to charge for shipping later once those are finalized: https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024255094-What-do-I-do-if-there-are-additional-shipping-costs-

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Then, when it comes time to publish something like a regular book, the advances for the "this is my actual job" is tiny, and you don't get poo poo till you earn out, and you'd loving better PRAY they know how to market your book. Publishing is a hosed up industry. Especially if you aren't a Koontz or a King.

This is why I self-publish. My books are nothing special that would convince a traditional publisher to take them on and if by some sheer twist of fortune I made it all the way through querying to an offer, I doubt very much it would be a great offer. I'd rather muddle along on my own. That way, at least I've got control and if my book flops whether it's because I am bad at writing or marketing or whatever then so be it, at least it's all on me and I get the feedback and the data and I can work on improving for the next one.

It's not for everyone and you do have to be in a financial position to fund publication and launch and do a lot of the legwork yourself but it is much more viable than it was previously and the barriers to entry compared to other industries are insanely low in relative terms.

General Battuta posted:

I am 100% professionally jealous of Sanderson getting paid for his good work. I wish I could get paid for my good work.

I have faith that eventually this will happen for you. People love your books and you've earned out your advance which is more than many others can say.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Sanderson's worked his rear end off to get where he is, and while he's had a few good breaks (inheriting WoT) and while I don't really think much of his prose level craft and despair slightly at the second-order influences he's had on readers, there's no question he's done his mightiest to use his talents and develop his niche. His success has literally funded my advances.

But it's definitely frustrating to see the rich get richer while you write checks to pay off your back rent and struggle to get the special 'poor people health insurance' forms (available only by email, which sends you a phone number to call) to do your taxes. All while every other YouTube video is an ad for a gigantically successful video game with your writing parked right in the title. I am 100% professionally jealous of Sanderson getting paid for his good work. I wish I could get paid for my good work.

completely agree with this post, you should be paid more, your work is great

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

General Battuta posted:

What’s a phi delt

A full hand of goddamn aces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish