Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Just an amazing burn
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/s...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Doesn't really matter at this point, it's clear that Putin has chosen the dictatorship siege-state path and is locking Russia down for the long haul.

Long haul. I think there are a lot of people in the west, mostly younger, who are in disbelief that he's willing to pay the price to annex Ukraine. Hence the visibility of the iPhone news. Incroyable! And it's unthinkable in their minds to return to 1945 as instructive history since that is only an old people reference.

But yes. He's willing to return to Soviet-like privation and control to exercise his will. A pliant populace in service to the State is also an ideal, and while the pretty sensibilities of the comfortable young in the west might view "service to the state" as laudible, it's a jarring dissonance to observe what that really means in practice, or to see it happen in real Tik-Tok time.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm not sure if taking away a country's ability to do air travel nationally and internationally still counts as containment.

It very much does. "Containment" here means "cripple their ability to wage further wars (against us)".

I guess it's a bit of a euphemistic term, but imploding a countries airlines still counts.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

ZombieLenin posted:

Since I cannot read this map, I assume the red area is Russian annexation, the yellow area goes to Belorussia, the blue area is some Western Ukrainian rump state, and the green and purple areas are apparently the areas the Western NATO powers are going to agree to annex?

Red - Novorossiya with Transnistria
Yellow - Ukraine (Malorossiya)
Blue - Western Ukraine (Galicia & Volhynia)
Green - Bukovina (Romanian territory)*
Purple - Zakarpattya (Hungarian territory)*

*Protectorate (I assume Russian controlled)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KitConstantine posted:

:nms: for a dead body in the loving header but a russian senator is calling out the Russian Military for not even trying to bring back the bodies of dead soldiers.

https://nv.ua/ukr/ukraine/events/ly...i-50221640.html

Quote from the article:

I've also heard from more than one POW and Russian radio chatter say that officers are shooting the wounded rather than trying to transport them.

hosed up thing is i can believe it. like convoys are hosed and so is logistics, your not getting them to a field hospital and i am sure those drones and explosives don't exactly make happy clean wounds and such.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Huh, effective immediately the EU is banning Russia's international propaganda outlets.

https://twitter.com/justinhendrix/status/1499038839406485506?s=20&t=YAThFI53PAu-lQxA-DCJnQ
So when the hell is Biden going to do the same with those outlets - including FOX News?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's long been a talking point that conventional wars of aggression between developed powers are effectively impossible because national economies are now too tightly tied up in a globalised economy and that doing so would never be worth it economically.

Obviously Ukraine represents something of an edge case being not quite as developed and vaguely non-aligned (at at least not affiliated in a power bloc), but it's being put to the test right now. Outcomes of this conflict will huge knock-on effects around the world in terms of re-militarisation in developed nations. If Russia wins and recovers in a reasonable timeframe, it will be at the cost of one of the world's most valuable fictions.

I think both sides of the talking point are getting some ammunition at the moment. For one, the economic squeeze can be rapid and extremely punitive. For the other, the global economy is never so united that condemnation is universal, and that actors can't cut an advantage by not playing ball with sanctions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Germany completely disbanded a chunk of its special forces two years ago because those parts were completely overrun with neo-nazis who were stealing explosives and ammunition. The Bundeswehr continues to have periodic neo-nazi scandals. Ffs, a fascist party with close ties to neo-nazi organizations holds 10% of seats in parliament, IIRC that around twice as much as in Ukraine

Ukrainian far-right holds 1 seat in ~500 seat parliament. They held real ground only in the interim post-revolution government, and their influence is mostly limited to their local communities.

Chalks posted:

How long will Russia be able to keep their own stock market closed for? Can they just keep it closed indefinitely?

They can do that, technically speaking. Can they afford that is a different question, the answer to which is "No".

OgNar posted:

Does anyone have a summary/status of that long rear end column?

As far as we can tell, it's barely moving, if at all.

TheRat posted:

Surely a carrier group can defend itself against drones???

It's not there, that was a joke about the smoke it emits.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheRat posted:

Surely a carrier group can defend itself against drones???

the joke is that russia's carrier is such a deathtrap if it was in the black sea it would probably have lit itself on fire

however it is not, because it is such a deathtrap it managed to sink its drydock

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I really needed to laugh this morning. More evidence my field of study is :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/zunguzungu/status/1499021010498387980?s=20&t=WPCdiesnMH-Vg1_VyEpm9A

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CommieGIR posted:

This was literally what was on the invasion map that Belarus' president leaked accidentally.

This is incorrect. Batka's map had the current four Ukrainian military districts. Not the same.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jeza posted:

It's long been a talking point that conventional wars of aggression between developed powers are effectively impossible because national economies are now too tightly tied up in a globalised economy and that doing so would never be worth it economically.

Obviously Ukraine represents something of an edge case being not quite as developed and vaguely non-aligned (at at least not affiliated in a power bloc), but it's being put to the test right now. Outcomes of this conflict will huge knock-on effects around the world in terms of re-militarisation in developed nations. If Russia wins and recovers in a reasonable timeframe, it will be at the cost of one of the world's most valuable fictions.

I think both sides of the talking point are getting some ammunition at the moment. For one, the economic squeeze can be rapid and extremely punitive. For the other, the global economy is never so united that condemnation is universal, and that actors can't cut an advantage by not playing ball with sanctions.

it seems p clear this war was not worth it economically.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They can do that, technically speaking. Can they afford that is a different question, the answer to which is "No".
How would martial law in Russia affect the speed at which the economic collapse brings Putin to the negotiating table?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grouchio posted:

How would martial law in Russia affect the speed at which the economic collapse brings Putin to the negotiating table?

the goal of martial law and suppressing dissent is to not need to care what the public thinks

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Interesting interview here:

https://twitter.com/risj_oxford/status/1499007132934582274?s=20&t=QEvqurY6vq1U1_85iwc7xw

It's Bellingcat, but nevertheless.

The quote that bothered me the most from reading the transcript:

quote:

Another big unknown is we've seen, sadly that Russia has on the Kremlin has internalized the reputation cost completely so they decided that they are the bad actor. They don't care about how they're perceived. And the example to this was the shelling of the most Russian sound Russian I sit in Russia in Ukraine, which was hard because everybody there speaks Russian and they like Russia and so on so forth. And they shell that and they ship they they shelled it indiscriminately and they killed dozens of people. So it seems like they've given up the idea of rationalizing what they're doing and they just want to terrorize Ukraine into submission.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

evilweasel posted:

the goal of martial law and suppressing dissent is to not need to care what the public thinks

Yeah this is just a full return to full Soviet Paranoia hermit empire. It'll be North Korea giving aid to Russia soon.....

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

evilweasel posted:

this is, incidentally, why the US army stopped doing regional regiments after the civil war iirc, specifically to avoid this "whoops an entire town's population of young men was wiped out in one go" vs spreading it out

That's almost exactly what US national guard units are though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

This is incorrect. Batka's map had the current four Ukrainian military districts. Not the same.

I stand corrected there.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The quote that bothered me the most from reading the transcript:

Why did that bother you because reading other pieces about Putin, his goals and his perception or Ukraine. That makes complete sense.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Is there any source for this other than the British Foreign Secretary's off the cuff statements? Given the costs of war--this is probably costing Russia tens of billions of dollars each day--and the sanctions I doubt the Russians can afford a ten year war.

This is the Russian Federation not the United States, so even before the sanctions the government would have been very hard pressed to pay for 10 years of war in Ukraine. The entire thing was predicated on the notion that the war would be quick.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/russia-ukraine-news-kyiv-war-putin-invasion-talks-today/#post-update-8de46653

quote:

A U.S. official tells CBS News that a tactical seizure of Ukraine (e: probably meant Kyiv) is possible within the next 4-6 weeks, based on the assessments of what is currently taking place on the ground with the Russian military.

As David Martin has reported, it is expected to take one week before Kyiv is surrounded, and another 30 days could elapse before Ukraine's capital is seized. This U.S. official says it is not clear whether Russia would gradually strangle the city or engage in street-to-street fighting. These scenarios were laid out for members of Congress Monday as the initial battle to destroy the Ukrainian military and government. It is also not clear whether Russia would then decide to go west toward Lviv or as far west as the Polish border.

The situation is dynamic, so this remains an estimate on what is militarily possible. This U.S. official also could not say when the sanctions that have been rolled out so far will have a practical impact on the Russian military. The low morale and shortages of food and fuel are not a result of the sanctions now in place. At some point, however, the Russian military will be impacted by the sanctions.

Given the durability of the Ukrainian resistance and its long history of pushing Russia back, the U.S. and Western powers do not believe that this will be a short war. The U.K. foreign secretary estimated it would be a 10-year war. Lawmakers at the Capitol were told Monday it is likely to last 10, 15 or 20 years — and that ultimately, Russia will lose.

drunkill posted:

Well this is pretty terrifying.

KitConstantine posted:

A volunteer for the Ukraine defense force was recording a voice message when the city council building in Kharkiv was hit by some kind of shell

He got it all on video. He also survived and no one else was near him that i can see, so no nms. Let me know if I should change that

In future, please read the OP before posting war footage. This pushes the borderline for what I would consider permissible without tag and spoiler.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jeza posted:

There's also "modern war is horrendously lethal and expensive", which has been true for a long time (see the 500,00 casualties sustained in the first month of WW1 alone) but after years of asymmetrical and low-intensity warfare beared repeating. If Russia truely has lost 6000 men in a week, that's 5% of their 120,000 troops who were on the border. Obviously, that's going to focus on certain formations and units, but Russia (and probably Ukraine aswell) won't be able to sustain this operational tempo forever, they just won't have the men where they need them. Thats why taking cities is so important - if they get bogged down without taking any objectives, it makes potential ukrainian counterattacks much easier if they don't have to retake any urban areas.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a way we could see those scenarios or the report? Prior to the war, many defense analysts weren't exactly confident Ukraine would be able to support such a long lasting insurgency.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

spacetoaster posted:

That's almost exactly what US national guard units are though.

A little bit. Those are state-level units, and their sub-organizations don't typically come from the same local communities, but from across the state. Of course there are exceptions: one of the National Guard military police companies is almost entirely state police from Rhode Island, for example. Heavy casualties in that unit would be very poignant given the small size of the state and the fact that most of them have the same non-military employer.

What the US doesn't do, though, is deliberately raise military units from specific towns, cities, and counties. Imagine you're a town of 20,000 people and had a 150-person company from your town take 88% casualties. The concentration of grief is terrible.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

William Bear posted:

I don't get what they're suggesting. Purple says Hungarian territory, green says Romanian. How would that work?

Presumably to fuel Hungarian and Romanian separatism in Ukraine. And fringe nationalism in those NATO states. Anything to divide your enemy.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

So the plan is now to let Russia rot as a hermit kingdom for 20-30 years until it completely collapses like the Soviet Union and then try to bring it back into the global community again(and not repeating the post-Soviet mistakes this time)? Jfc, this was a busy week for the world

A harsh possibility but letting it wither on the vine might be the safest choice... i don't make those calls.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there a way we could see those scenarios or the report? Prior to the war, many defense analysts weren't exactly confident Ukraine would be able to support such a long lasting insurgency.

you could get elected to the us congress

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/russia-ukraine-news-kyiv-war-putin-invasion-talks-today/#post-update-8de46653
In future, please read the OP before posting war footage. This pushes the borderline for what I would consider permissible without tag and spoiler.

They are clearly more informed than I; however, I do not see how the Russian Federation can sustain it's current military operations for much more than a month, let alone 6 weeks just to take Kiev--then the rest of Ukraine--and then to sit in Ukraine for 15 or 20 years with a full-scale insurgency.

Edit

And that's not even taking into account the impact of sanctions.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I really needed to laugh this morning. More evidence my field of study is :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/zunguzungu/status/1499021010498387980?s=20&t=WPCdiesnMH-Vg1_VyEpm9A

I don’t agree with everything Mearshimer says here but he doesn’t come off as stupidly as nearly every other Chotiner interviewee. He’s got a different, coldly analytical approach, but it’s not wrong. Mexico isn’t doing poo poo without the US approving, and nobody here thinks that’s odd.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Youth Decay posted:

Love to use 17th century Russian Empire borders as the justification for carving out pieces of a sovereign state.

something something China 5000 years

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

It's theorized that this was a single shell from a smersh MRLS

They can launch like a dozen of these

Hard doubt on that one, Smerch is what Kharkiv was being pounded with elsewhere, according to Kaufman, and it's not as impressive.

KitConstantine posted:

This is very bad. Every remaining nominally government-independent major news company in Russia was shut down yesterday, and now their staff are fleeing the country. The poster is the editor of Meduza, an indie news operation in Russia.

Meduza is Latvia-based.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The war in Afghanistan only coat about 300 million per day.

My guess would be this is costing Putin like half that. But he also has a smaller bankroll by far.

Current cost of sanctions, over 20 year horizon, is already above that.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

selec posted:

I don’t agree with everything Mearshimer says here but he doesn’t come off as stupidly as nearly every other Chotiner interviewee. He’s got a different, coldly analytical approach, but it’s not wrong. Mexico isn’t doing poo poo without the US approving, and nobody here thinks that’s odd.

It's wrong. The whole field couldn't predict the soviet union collapsing without a world War and they didn't predict this.

IR is just rife with post facto Cassandra complexes (though that's even spurious because at least Cassandra was telling the truth)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
is russia pressuring belarus to join the fighting because it wants to form its own mini "coalition of the willing" to downplay their international isolation, or at this point are they actually looking to supplement their own army? if the russians are having widespread morale and logistics problems, i can't imagine that belarusian soldiers with even less operational planning and investment in the conflict are going to be very effective

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

quote:

I was interested in that article because you say the idea that Putin may eventually go after the rest of Ukraine, as well as other countries in Eastern Europe, is wrong. Given that he seems to be going after the rest of Ukraine now, do you think in hindsight that that argument is perhaps more true, even if we didn’t know it at the time?

It’s hard to say whether he’s going to go after the rest of Ukraine because—I don’t mean to nitpick here but—that implies that he wants to conquer all of Ukraine, and then he will turn to the Baltic states, and his aim is to create a greater Russia or the reincarnation of the Soviet Union. I don’t see evidence at this point that that is true. It’s difficult to tell, looking at the maps of the ongoing conflict, exactly what he’s up to. It seems quite clear to me that he is going to take the Donbass and that the Donbass is going to be either two independent states or one big independent state, but beyond that it’s not clear what he’s going to do. I mean, it does seem apparent that he’s not touching western Ukraine.

Yeah, really needed a laugh here.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

is russia pressuring belarus to join the fighting because it wants to form its own mini "coalition of the willing" to downplay their international isolation, or at this point are they actually looking to supplement their own army? if the russians are having widespread morale and logistics problems, i can't imagine that belarusian soldiers with even less operational planning and investment in the conflict are going to be very effective

The latter. Russia doesn't have enough troops, on paper, for the kind of war they need to fight now, with garrisons in every town and patrols on every supply line. It's a problem that will only get worse as they seize territory. And that's before we get into their organic cohesion issues.

The Belarusian troops won't be much better, but they'll be something. They can either open a new axis of advance on Lviv to interdict military aid or help with garrison duties.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

It would marginally slow it down. As evilweasel notes, the introduction of martial law is mostly meant to allow Russian cops to beat people up outside detainment.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ZombieLenin posted:

I remember hearing George W. talking about a conversation he had with Putin at the end of his second term, and Bush said Putin asked him, "why are stepping down as president?" Bush apparently responded, "I have to. Our constitution only allows me to be president for 8 years."

Putin's straight face and serious response was apparently, "why don't you just change the constitution then?"

Because you're right. That's what Putin did when he was up against term limits; and Putin thinks that the internal politics of all countries works the exact same way as the internal politics of Russia does.

This is could not be more obviously a fable than if GW had turned to the camera and said "the moral of the story is..."

Unless of course you honestly believe an ex-spy with (at the end of Bush's second term) nearly two decades of political experience didn't understand how democracy works and was flabbergasted that the deeply unpopular president of a country in a financial meltdown wasn't running for a third term.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The local counter-attack in Donbas was mentioned earlier but looks like it's been wildly successful. Not enormously sure of the wisdom of attacking East when every HOI4 playing armchair general has assumed they should be getting ready to try to break out West but presumably there's a plan there.

https://twitter.com/AlexandruC4/status/1499012982663229441

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It's wrong. The whole field couldn't predict the soviet union collapsing without a world War and they didn't predict this.

IR is just rife with post facto Cassandra complexes (though that's even spurious because at least Cassandra was telling the truth)

There’s a reason the US formed the OAS, and if there were a countervailing alliance intended to rein in US power and Mexico was considering joining it we would have a lot to say and likely do about that. Mearshimer isn’t wrong in the sense that this seems to be about power politics at its base, and that analysis is essentially something you have to approach pretty coldly. Right or wrong isn’t much of a factor, and I think he’s largely right on why Russia is doing what it’s doing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That was quick. German military aid delivered. (not the helmets)

https://twitter.com/gebauerspon/status/1499036607021826052?s=20&t=tjhtUaZu7ohWc-uEqs7R-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

No, Russia is pressuring Belarus (and Kazakhstan, and a few other former-Soviet republics) into fighting because Putin's goal of this war (and major goal in life) is literally to restore the Russian Empire.