Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Ogmius815 posted:

I’m gonna have to find a grain of salt to ingest this one with.

This is the same reporter who argued the US should fight and win a nuclear war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

honest question:

I am honestly surprised at how fascist Russia has become in the last decade. Like bear in mind my historical acumen of Russia ends with the fall of the Soviet Union and Yeltsin, but I was always under the impression the country was at least making democratic reforms before the Georgian invasion.

What happened exactly? Putin murdered all opposition? The "reforms" were always a joke? Because for a guy constantly going on about Nazis he sure to steal their tactics and support theirrise in the west.

When Putin came in he slowly took over all news media that have any sort of non-trivial audience, basically (with online media and domestic social network VK getting taken over as they hecame popular). And yes, a bunch of opposition politicians and journalists got murdered, too, or at least attempts were made. If you are American, imagine if only media were Fox News clones and token lefty publications read by like 5000 people.

Putin also basically removed all the term limits.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Oh cool, Jeremy Scahill did a long thread giving his thoughts about the current conflict.

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/1499106963250155525

oh for fucks sake, leftists stop giving milosevic cover for DOING A GENOCIDE challenge

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

honest question:

I am honestly surprised at how fascist Russia has become in rhe last decade. Like bear in mind my historical acumen of Russia ends with the fall of the Soviet Union and Yeltsin, ut I was always under the impression the country was at least making democratic reforms before the Georgian invasion.

What happened exactly? Putin murdered all opposition? The "reforms" were always a joke? Because for a constantly going on about Nazis he sure to steal their tactics and support theirrise in the west.
Democratic reforms in Russia stalled out in 1993 when Yeltsin ordered the army to attack the Russian white house with tanks, and after Putin took power in 1999 it turned into an absolute personal dictatorship - albeit one with good PR and dressing itself in the trappings of democracy with "elections" etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ynglaur posted:

Yeah, I get used to thinking in terms of 1:8 or 1:10, but the US is very, very good at battlefield trauma. (It's medical system sucks for anything not trauma-related, but that's another story.) Relatively recent additions like coagulate powders make a huge difference. I don't know how much Russia's army invests in battlefield medicine, or how competent it is, so I don't have any sense of what a "normal" casualty ratio would look like.

Also the deaths we are seeing are not the kind of thing that leave nonfatal wounds. If a javelin takes out a helicopter, nobody walks away from that, thats a total loss. Similarly a drone strike.

Americans get wounded by small arms fire and IEDs, while wearing armor, in armored vehicles. American weapons incinerate the whole vehicle. Nobody on the highway of death was merely wounded.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Answers Me posted:

So assuming this kind of thing is true, what's the deal? The size and quality of the Russian Army has been grossly overestimated? They're not wasting the 'proper' troops on this conflict unless they have to?

i believe they are conscripts of the separatist states. my guess is Russian army is a loving mess and they never did the various needed reforms and dudes hosed off with the most of the money for projects so shits either busted or stolen or etc.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
From the guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...re_iOSApp_Other

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Paracausal posted:

Oh cool, Jeremy Scahill did a long thread giving his thoughts about the current conflict.

oh for fucks sake, leftists stop giving milosevic cover for DOING A GENOCIDE challenge

I'm not sure that isn't just an excerpt from Putin's speech

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

FishBulbia posted:

This is the same reporter who argued the US should fight and win a nuclear war.

Richard Engel is that person but he's relaying what Josh Lederman, who I know nothing about, is saying: https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/status/1499117617969340420?s=20&t=DpQk2Ihr6SKbMBa9IbAHNg

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Dante posted:

this is not true jesus christ

It actually is true. If you are an uninformed combatant behind enemy lines you absolutely can be executed without the belligerent who executed you violating the Geneva Protocols.

You are 100% wrong.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

That yacht is the largest in the world by volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srmFim_DKq0 This dude has been posting videos about all the things going on in the yachting world :barf:, Including this yacht yesterday.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Riptor posted:

Richard Engel is that person but he's relaying what Josh Lederman, who I know nothing about, is saying: https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/status/1499117617969340420?s=20&t=DpQk2Ihr6SKbMBa9IbAHNg

probably just parroting Ukr gov like those "sources" that claimed the Ukr downed 6 Il-76s.

US reported 1500-2000 on both sides today

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I can't believe this is true. We've not seen any indication that the situation in Russia is bad enough for something like this to be required and going from pretending the war is no big deal to martial law across the entire country is completely insane

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Incidentally, Putins personal yacht just so happened to hastily leave Hamburg at the start of February.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

It actually is true. If you are an uninformed combatant behind enemy lines you absolutely can be executed without the belligerent who executed you violating the Geneva Protocols.

You are 100% wrong.

Without doxxing themselves, Dante has posted enough on the Geneva Conventions in this thread to show they clearly have a better grasp of them than anyone else here.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Youth Decay posted:

Can someone translate what's on her signs?

No to nuclear weapons everywhere! Urgently sign an agreement. The young country of Ukraine banned nuclear weapons, but Russia has tanks with nuclear ammunition that are still in use since the war in Vietnam (USSR - USA).

Don't murder the physicists, instead ban and destroy all nuclear weapons all over the world at the same time. Save the life on earth.
(Rays of COVID, AIDS and nuclear power)
BOMBS, ROCKETS ARE BEING TESTED

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

cant cook creole bream posted:

How many Ukrainian soldiers lost their lives to achieve this? Should be quite a few less, right?

We haven't seen any reliable Ukrainian loss estimates as of yet (beyond equipment tallies by that one blogger). However, one report of a US report I saw this morning (and which I can't locate again right now, so take it with a salt lick at this level of telephone) said that the Ukrainians had been just as badly battered; it's just that 1) they don't have an outside world eager to tally and broadcast that, and 2) that's more expected of the heavily outnumbered and outgunned Ukrainian military than it was of the Russians.

If I find the report, I'll repost it.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 2, 2022

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

If the goal is accomplished, it will only lead to more death for years to come.

Not to mention this is likely closely watched as a trial run for future wars of conquest by other authoritarian leaders across the globe.

If the decapitation strike had gone off without a hitch, the global diplomatic community didn’t react swiftly enough, and if the propaganda machine succeeded in getting everyone to memory hole the initial lies said during the ramp up, it would have left the doors wide open for land grabs worldwide.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Chalks posted:

I can't believe this is true, we've not seen any indication that the situation in Russia itself is bad enough for something like this to be required and going from pretending the war is no big deal to martial law across the entire country is completely insane

I mean they have been shutting down and raiding news and tv stations reporting on the war and being anti-war, have reportedly jailed thousands of anti war protesters, are rolling out mandatory pro war education lessons in schools, are reportedly stopping people from leaving the country, and are in the midst of a huge economic crash thats going to get worse on saturday if the stock markets open.

So, uh yeah I can see it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Magugu posted:

That yacht is the largest in the world by volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srmFim_DKq0 This dude has been posting videos about all the things going on in the yachting world :barf:, Including this yacht yesterday.

Do the staff have as much fun as the men and women on Below Deck?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

Incidentally, Putins personal yacht just so happened to hastily leave Hamburg at the start of February.

Lol

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

that girl puts some effort in her signs god drat

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

ReidRansom posted:

But they can only do as effective a job as the conscript responsibilities allow (logistics, securing supply routes, etc.). And those dudes are doing a poo poo job, fortunately for everyone aside from Putin and the families of those he's sending off to die for whatever loving reason.

Good point. That follows the previous analysis that Russia believed the initial airstrikes and drops of VDV into the big cities will simply kill the govt and collapse the military. While this was happening the conscripts already began their march into what was believed to be unoccupied cities to take over govt buildings and man road checkpoints. Putin was aware that the country is big and he needed a bunch of untrained military in big numbers just to "occupy" and hold land.

Since all the spec ops units spectacularly failed, the untrained mass of soldiers marched into stiff resistance of a military force that did not collapse, resulting in heavy losses and surrenders.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

ZombieLenin posted:

You are 100% wrong.

The Geneva Convention IV entitles spies to a trial.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Also I will once again beseech this thread to read Masha
Gessen's bio/exposé on Putin, The Man Without a Face.

It is essential background if you hope to understand (?) what Putin is and why he is there.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dante posted:

this is not true jesus christ

Spies and saboteurs can't be shot the moment they're captured, but they don't receive the same protections prisoners of war do; instead, they're effectively treated as if they were a civilian engaged in espionage/sabotage, can be tried by a military tribunal, and punished according to national law for their actions. (POWs cannot be tried for violation of national law, but can be tried for war crimes.) That's the distinction people are identifying.

Ukraine defines espionage as a form of high treason and defines a punishment of imprisonment for up to 15 years. So, no, in Ukraine they can't just be shot when captured - legally speaking.

(In the US, espionage is a death penalty crime, so while there has to be a tribunal, it might in practice be a very quick tribunal.)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

I mean they have been shutting down and raiding news and tv stations reporting on the war and being anti-war, have reportedly jailed thousands of anti war protesters, are rolling out mandatory pro war education lessons in schools, are reportedly stopping people from leaving the country, and are in the midst of a huge economic crash thats going to get worse on saturday if the stock markets open.

So, uh yeah I can see it.

Extreme censorship to ensure people continue to think it's no big deal, that makes sense. Martial law across the entire country implies levels of unrest beyond what they can handle with their normal security forces. I don't think we've seen any evidence of this.

If they're considering martial law across the entire country it must mean that things are considerably worse than they appear.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Riptor posted:

I can confidently state that Russian losses are somewhere between 5 and 1 million soldiers.

Estimates vary.

Jim Bont
Apr 29, 2008

You were supposed to take those out of the deck.

quarantinethepast posted:

Does anyone remember this short film doing a mock BBC broadcast of a nuclear war?
https://youtu.be/4cAZZR_Jki0

When Warsaw gets nuked is one of the best jump scares I've experienced. At the time I thought Russia might have indirectly been involved with the video because of how effective the underlying "we should never gently caress with Russia" message is.

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull
Has there been any news on whether Stefanchuk and Shmyhal are still in Ukraine?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Xotl posted:

We haven't seen any reliable Ukrainian loss estimates as of yet (beyond equipment tallies by that one blogger). However, one report of a US report I saw this morning (and which I can't locate again right now, so take it with a salt lick at this level of telephone) said that the Ukrainians had been just as badly battered; it's just that 1) they don't have an outside world eager to tally and broadcast that, and 2) that's more expected of the heavily outnumbered and outgunned Ukrainian military than it was of the Russians.

If I find the report, I'll repost it.

If this was a conventional war I would agree with you. The Ukrainians don't seem to be engaging directly which they would be suffering heavy losses. From what I have seen come out from their side they are employing a lot of ambush/surprise attacks, drone/MANPAD/AT and setting up engagements that are advantageous to them. This is honestly to be expected from a smaller force on their home terf. That coupled with real time info from NATO can allow them to do a lot more with a lot less. The fact that the Russians haven't been able to take any population centers closest to the border where supply lines should be the least vulnerable should tell you a lot.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also the deaths we are seeing are not the kind of thing that leave nonfatal wounds. If a javelin takes out a helicopter, nobody walks away from that, thats a total loss. Similarly a drone strike.

Americans get wounded by small arms fire and IEDs, while wearing armor, in armored vehicles. American weapons incinerate the whole vehicle. Nobody on the highway of death was merely wounded.

Good points.

In other news, I was a little prescient in using this essay as applicable to understanding Russian supply woes. (The Twitter poster is the author, fwiw.)
https://twitter.com/BretDevereaux/status/1499089377200377858?s=20&t=N50DXA7YjUy6oXqtPBWSGw

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Not a lawyer but

quote:

Article 5 of the 1949 Geneva Convention IV provides: “Where in occupied territory an individual protected person is detained as a spy … such … [person] shall nevertheless be treated with humanity, and in case of trial, shall not be deprived of the rights of fair and regular trial prescribed by the present Convention.”

https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docindex/v2_rul_rule107_sectionb

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

You are 100% wrong.

This is total nonsense. This was a line of legal argumentation tried at the Yugoslav war crimes trial in Hague over the summary executions done there, and it was roundly rejected. To quote from the relevant ICRC commentary that was in the trial judgement:

quote:

every person in enemy hands must have some status under international law: he is either a prisoner of war and, as such, covered by the Third Convention, a civilian covered by the Fourth Convention, or again, a member of the medical personnel of the armed forces who is covered by the First Convention. There is no intermediate status; nobody in enemy hands can be outside the law.
You mentioned spies, and spies are specifically mentioned because the Geneva conventions incorporate the first Hague convention on war regarding spies which states:

quote:

Art. 30. A spy taken in the act shall not be punished without previous trial.

Kalman posted:

Spies and saboteurs can't be shot the moment they're captured, but they don't receive the same protections prisoners of war do; instead, they're effectively treated as if they were a civilian engaged in espionage/sabotage, can be tried by a military tribunal, and punished according to national law for their actions. (POWs cannot be tried for violation of national law, but can be tried for war crimes.) That's the distinction people are identifying.

Ukraine defines espionage as a form of high treason and defines a punishment of imprisonment for up to 15 years. So, no, in Ukraine they can't just be shot when captured - legally speaking.

(In the US, espionage is a death penalty crime, so while there has to be a tribunal, it might in practice be a very quick tribunal.)

This is true, it's perfectly legal to give someone the death penalty for espionage as a result of judicial proceeding. This is very different from "spies and saboteurs can be shot the moment they are captured", which yes would be a war crime.

Dante fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 2, 2022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What do the countries do with these multimillion dollar yachts that get seized?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

One particular cynical reason Russia may be strongly insisting that this isn’t a war despite that obviously not being the case is that they don’t want to pay out benefits to the families of all their dead soldiers.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

What do the countries do with these multimillion dollar yachts that get seized?

like other seized property, auctioned

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Paracausal posted:

I think it's fair to point out that a lot of things that USA, UK and other western governments have done over the previous decades have been double-standardy as hell. In many ways they have paved the way to Putin believing that might makes right and that following international law or seeking UN backing for actions is for losers. And we NEED stronger international consensus that backs UN and rule of law and condemns cowboy actions.

At the same time, Russia was also an rear end in a top hat for defending Serbia's genocides in Bosnia and Kosovo. Not to mention the massive breaches of human rights during the Chechen wars. Ultimately nothing excuses Russia's current action in any way, it would be just blatant whataboutism.

And on a third hand, messaging during such a stressful time is difficult. Especially for western leftists who would rather die than say "gotta hand it to them" in conjunction with NATO.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

My sister in law living in Russia turned out to be a full on Putin fan, and she just told us they heard Zelenskyy is going to bomb Belarus. :psyduck:

Paracausal posted:

And my mother in law after being quiet since the war started just shared this with us as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I would suggest against another Geneva Convention slap fight. Whether or not POW protections apply to spies and saboteurs, cruel behaviour against them in your captivity doesn’t not reflect well on you.