Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Sorry if this was posted already, but according to Finnish broadcaster Yle, Georgia intends to apply for EU membership immediately (in Finnish)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://twitter.com/Eleskola/status/1499133296789368848

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm quite certain I'm the only person who has read it end to end - the last thing it needs is more derails.

No, I also have some kind of mental disorder that has made me compulsively read every single post in this thread since it was started.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

At least now I know I'm not the only one who walked right into the European decimal comma after the fact. :unsmith:

i left for a short trip to the mountains on friday morning and got back on sunday evening. reading through all of the ~4k posts made during that stretch took the rest of the day

if by "killed" they mean "casualties" than this is a pretty blatant propaganda number. if by "killed" they mean "killed" than typical ratios of kia/wia means they're claiming that ~25-33% of the original russian formation are casualties and they're about to win the war

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Dante posted:

As the guy who was probated for "Boring Geneva stuff" I will say that I haven't tried engaging much in a debate with the "yes they're war crimes, but" posts because that's a morality discussion. I don't know anything about military equipment or vehicles, but I know some about international law. My intent was to correct factual assertions which are unambiguously wrong, because I assumed it would be useful information people would be interested in regarding a chaotic current event. Its admittedly it's a little weird to me that the gauntlet is laid down in such a way that one can't discuss current war crimes in the war thread, but I can understand how it would be boring in a twitter feed-esque thread. If anyone has any specific questions about that stuff I guess we can take it to DMs.

No. Stick around and comment. You're good. Very good.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Tuna-Fish posted:

No, I also have some kind of mental disorder that has made me compulsively read every single post in this thread since it was started.

Cant really tell with that map because UA forces are not marked anywhere but a long the road

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

jaete posted:

Sorry if this was posted already, but according to Finnish broadcaster Yle, Georgia intends to apply for EU membership immediately (in Finnish)

This is a pretty shocking move since 20% of the country is still under occupation by Russia. I guess they've seen twitter and reasoned that Russia can't deal with two fronts right now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i left for a short trip to the mountains on friday morning and got back on sunday evening. reading through all of the ~4k posts made during that stretch took the rest of the day

This happened to me too, except I went "gently caress it" and skipped like 50 pages

I think I've read everything else

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

mustard_tiger posted:

Varinn what are your thoughts on the perpetrators in the below attack?

That its horrifying and disgusting? Probably the same as you? Russia is absolutely doing war crimes, you'll find no disagreement from me there.

I know what you're getting at here but sorry, that aint me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

It would not at all surprise me if generals estimated 15 days and then told Putin a week at most because that's what he wanted to hear and you tell Putin whatever the gently caress he wants to hear. They probably thought they were being realistic that 7 days could happen if everything went right and 15 was a "we face more resistance than anticipated" scenario. This happens all the time on projects I'm on with non-insane people who aren't going to be literally killed for giving the wrong number.

I don't even think a week is what they expected. Its clear they expected to be able to have a welcoming populace that would be willing to give them food and fuel. Shockingly, that didn't come true.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

TheRat posted:

A couple of pages back american intelligence estimated between 500 and 5000 but said it was very hard to get accurate numbers. So yeah, 9k is almost certainly about as accurate as the ghost of kyiv doing that ejection RPG move from Call of Duty

this is heinous bf1942 erasure

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xachariah posted:

As soon as I saw that headline I laughed. If only...

As much as I want it to be a flawless one-sided David versus Goliath victory I believe the realistic estimates were roughly 2500-5000 and pegging Russian losses as more or less equal with Ukraine.

Equal losses in terms of numbers would still be a david versus goliath victory considering the equipment and support gap.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Read my lips.

Decisive victory.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dante posted:

This is a pretty shocking move since 20% of the country is still under occupation by Russia. I guess they've seen twitter and reasoned that Russia can't deal with two fronts right now.

Well, they're just applying. Acceptance is another story.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

TheRat posted:

A couple of pages back american intelligence estimated between 500 and 5000 but said it was very hard to get accurate numbers. So yeah, 9k is almost certainly about as accurate as the ghost of kyiv doing that ejection RPG move from Call of Duty

500 seems about as unlikely as the higher Ukrainian estimates to me, though--the Russian MOD is already admitting to 500 killed. It seems unlikely to me that Russia is going to be that honest about their casualties.

(And the number of videos of destroyed Russian vehicles, etc. also seem to me to make those numbers unlikely, although I'll admit there is likely bias in what we see.)

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 3, 2022

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

Bf3 really. Especially since all the Russian secret weapons from bf4 and on apparently never made it through procurement

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

I can only apologise, I dont FPS :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dante posted:

As the guy who was probated for "Boring Geneva stuff" I will say that I haven't tried engaging much in a debate with the "yes they're war crimes, but" posts because that's a morality discussion. I don't know anything about military equipment or vehicles, but I know some about international law. My intent was to correct factual assertions which are unambiguously wrong, because I assumed it would be useful information people would be interested in regarding a chaotic current event. Its admittedly it's a little weird to me that the gauntlet is laid down in such a way that one can't discuss current war crimes in the war thread, but I can understand how it would be boring in a twitter feed-esque thread. If anyone has any specific questions about that stuff I guess we can take it to DMs.

Every thread rule has precedent. You had a room to make an unrestricted discussion until today, and you did. So did others. The result was, unfortunately, a barely readable half a dozen of pages that achieved nothing, despite salient points made by multiple participants.

Since yesterday's posters are not gone anywhere, and the early signs of the conversation didn't differ meaningfully from the previous, I didn't expect the conversation to work out any better than the previous. Therefore, with overall thread velocity in mind, I'd rather not have it at all.

Phrasing this as a ban on discussing war crimes is disingenuous, though. The ban is specifically on people yelling their interpretation of Geneva Convention at each other.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So is this 'Winter War' levels of blunder by the Russians at this stage?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

By the end of this war, every Ukrainian will have a tank

fyodor, you can't drive two tanks at once, what will the neighbors think

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Drunk in Space posted:

No, they're still winning even if it's horribly poorly executed and extremely costly. If they somehow manage to lose as well, then yea.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Drunk in Space posted:

There’s definitely more to it than just terrain but signs point to yes

Edit: assuming it was terrain there is a lot of time to adapt to that. Unless they really can’t handle a long war because of the economic sanctions

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Well, they're just applying. Acceptance is another story.

Of course, but still I imagine Russia won't be happy:https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220302-georgia-to-apply-immediately-for-eu-membership

quote:

The ruling Georgian Dream party chairman, Irakli Kobakhidze, announced the party's "decision today to immediately apply for the EU membership".

Georgia calls on the EU "to review our application in an urgent manner and to make the decision to grant Georgia the status of an EU membership candidate", he told journalists.

The decision was made "based on the overall political context and the new reality", he added.

Georgia's EU integration would put the country "on a path which will lead our country to a qualitative increase in our population's wellbeing, security, and to de-occupation," he added.
Russia fought a war to prevent their NATO membership, but EU membership is still something Russia would be very much against.

Dante fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 3, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dominoeffect posted:

Gosh, only if there were multiple wars in history that we could study where weather and mud played a huge role. Only if happened in russia, then they would surely understand it. Ah well, a man can wish!

The Russians were hoping they'd still be in winter at this time of year. Unfortunately, climate change had other plans...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dante posted:

Of course, but still I imagine Russia won't be happy:https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220302-georgia-to-apply-immediately-for-eu-membership

Russia fought a war to prevent their NATO membership, but EU membership is still something Russia would be very much against.

Georgia may be lucky, spiting Russia might make Georgia getting a fast path worth it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It’s really a significant number of pieces here all coming together at once to ruin putins plan. But invading during peak mud is pretty darn dumb

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if by "killed" they mean "casualties" than this is a pretty blatant propaganda number. if by "killed" they mean "killed" than typical ratios of kia/wia means they're claiming that ~25-33% of the original russian formation are casualties and they're about to win the war

Jesus Christ, why would you do that to yourself?

Also, this means just killed, and is most assuredly inflated.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Concerned Citizen posted:

i recall reading prior to this war that the russians believed mud was only a problem for western tanks, because their tanks were lighter and better able to traverse it. maybe kind of true, but it still seems to be quite a problem.

It blows my mind that they never accounted for this. Like, they had to have done training maneuvers in this terrain sometime in the oh...past 30 years?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Not sure what this is about, or if it's about anything at all in particular. But intelligence (in general) about Russia has been apparently pretty easy to get.

https://twitter.com/DI_Ukraine/status/1499157365937119235

quote:

You've probably all heard of Deepfake technology, a combination of the words deep learning and fake, a technique of synthesizing a human image based on artificial intelligence.
The provocation of the Russian Federation is being prepared.

Also, here's another twitter list that I saw posted.

https://twitter.com/i/lists/43845512

ummel fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 3, 2022

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

TheRat posted:

No, they're still winning even if it's horribly poorly executed and extremely costly. If they somehow manage to lose as well, then yea.

The russians did win the Winter War.

I'm not really sure what this would be comparable to if they lose.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

It blows my mind that they never accounted for this. Like, they had to have done training maneuvers in this terrain sometime in the oh...past 30 years?

It was colder when they did their exercises and who knows how many hosed up micro maneuvers were swept under during it anyways. They planned for no resistance basically. Why worry about off-roading if you’re just rolling through the road checkpoint in your big manly tank!

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Praying for counter encirclement. If the Ukrainian army can keep their head and hold their flanks the Russian encircling troops are gonna find themselves way, way out beyond supply or reinforcement. The whole spearhead could collapse.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ikasuhito posted:

Right now they are still likely to win in the long run so maybe it will be Winter War 2. But who knows at this point.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Phrasing this as a ban on discussing war crimes is disingenuous, though. The ban is specifically on people yelling their interpretation of Geneva Convention at each other.

Okay this will be my last post on this but thats the problem? People can post war crimes (fine, thats news) go "wow. badass/hilarious/serves them right" (extremely bad!) but this rule would come into effect when someone says "no thats not cool, its a war crime" because thats an 'interpretation of the geneva convention.'

if the rule is around the geneva convention the rule is "dont call things war crimes." this thread needs more informative posts like dantes, not less

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ikasuhito posted:

They won but they lost orders of magnitude more soldiers than they're going to be able to do here.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

DeSantis is addressing the philosophical, platonic Ideal of France, which is only accessible to Real Americans, as opposed to the mere accidents of whatever they're doing right now. Please disregard that this platonic ideal was formed approximately eighteen years ago; it was, in fact, an eternal truth, extending to time immemorial and into the indefinite future.

Methanyanne.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Varinn posted:

Okay this will be my last post on this but thats the problem? People can post war crimes (fine, thats news) go "wow. badass/hilarious/serves them right" (extremely bad!) but this rule would come into effect when someone says "no thats not cool, its a war crime" because thats an 'interpretation of the geneva convention.'

if the rule is around the geneva convention the rule is "dont call things war crimes." this thread needs more informative posts like dantes, not less

I agree with this post. The various cheerleading and/or suggestions to ignore the good guys doing war crimes because they're the good guys is extremely gross, and shutting down opposition to it is gross as well.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Alchenar posted:

Okay now we are past 'warcrimes bad' I think the interesting observation here is that in the last 24 hours we've seen Ukranian public messaging start to fall apart a bit. It's looking less centrally coordinated, different military units are writing their own stuff and putting it up on Facebook and it's getting very hit-and-miss and certainly a lot more cuthroat. Probably parallels the state of the war somewhat.

e: something new tax

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1499143133917069317

It’s a little unhelpful that this fellow didn’t actually provide a link to whatever he was taking about at FT. I’ll do his job for him:

https://www.ft.com/content/433eb7e7-0c32-4c00-863a-9f1f9f294e9b

quote:

Turkey’s stance on Russian warships raises hope of reset in relations with west

Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s decision to curb passage of vessels has received praise in Kyiv

13 hours ago

A Russian Navy warship sails through the Bosphorus strait in the heart of Istanbul en route to the Black Sea last week. Turkey refused Russia’s request to send four more warships through © AP
In the run-up to Vladimir Putin’s assault on Ukraine, Moscow notified Turkey of its intention to send one of its most imposing warships, laden with cruise missiles, through the heart of Istanbul to join the impending onslaught.

But the Admiral Flota Kasatonov — and three other vessels that had been expected to traverse the Dardanelles and Bosphorus straits — did not make the journey over the weekend, as Russia had planned, two western officials told the Financial Times.

On Monday, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan indicated that he would invoke a clause in the 1936 Montreux Convention that allows Ankara to curb the passage of naval vessels belonging to warring parties. “We have the authority and we have decided to use it in a way that will prevent the crisis from escalating,” he said.

While the Turkish foreign ministry did not respond to a request for comment on the four ships, diplomats believe that Turkey, for years viewed in western capitals as an unreliable Nato member that had grown too close to Moscow, asked Russia not to send them.

The decision to curb warships was a striking move from a leader who has fostered close ties with Putin. Ankara’s public criticism of the Russian invasion and its support for Ukraine has prompted some observers to ask if the conflict might trigger a recalibration of Turkey’s ties with the west. “Could this be a turning point? That is something we are asking ourselves,” said one senior western diplomat. “I think Erdogan is shocked — and maybe even feels betrayed — by what Putin has done.”

Turkey’s relationship with Russia has a long and complex history. Countless wars were fought between the Ottoman and Russian empires from the 18th century onwards — many of them over spheres of influence in the Black Sea and control of the Bosphorus and the Dardanelles. The country’s western-looking foreign policy establishment harbours an ingrained anxiety about the “bear in the north” and its expansionist tendencies.

Erdogan himself, however, forged a close relationship with Putin, a fellow strongman who, like him, harbours a profound mistrust of the west. The two men were drawn closer after a 2016 attempted coup d’état in Turkey that Erdogan believed was supported by the US. The Turkish president horrified Washington by buying an S-400 air defence system from Moscow and even floating the idea of buying Russian-made fighter jets.

Yet there have also been moments of high tension. Putin imposed economic sanctions on Ankara in 2015 after the Turkish air force shot down a Russian jet near the border with Syria, where Turkey and Russia back opposing sides — as they have done in battlefields in Libya and the Caucasus. Two years ago, in February 2020, 34 Turkish soldiers were killed in the Syrian province of Idlib in an attack that the US said was carried out by Russian warplanes.

Yet somehow the leaders have found ways to navigate those crises. “They understand each other, and they give each other slack,” said Selim Koru, an analyst at the Ankara-based think-tank Tepav.

Erdogan, who in the past has compared European leaders to Nazis for fairly minor diplomatic slights, has used careful language to criticise Moscow’s invasion.

Even as he suggested that he would limit the Russian navy’s access to the Turkish straits, he added: “We cannot dispense with either Ukraine or Russia.” Mevlut Cavusoglu, the country’s foreign minster, said he had requested all foreign warships — not just Russian ones — not to transit Turkey.

Still, Ankara’s stance has been welcomed by Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelensky, who said on Saturday that the Ukrainian people “will never forget” Erdogan’s “strong support” for his country. Armed drones, made by the Turkish president’s son-in-law, have become a key part of his armed forces’ arsenal.

Advocates of greater Turkish ties with the west suggest that the US should seize the opportunity to reboot the relationship. Washington could start by persuading Congress to approve a Turkish request to buy around 40 new F16 aircraft, wrote Rich Outzen, a former state department official, in an article for Turkey’s state-owned TRT World news service earlier this week. This would “cement an important relationship that has, and continues, to confer significant geopolitical value,” he said.

Yet others warn that it is naive to think that the Ukraine crisis will reaffirm the cold war-era partnership that was cemented by Turkey’s entry into Nato in 1952. “The prevailing opinion when you turn on TV stations [ in Turkey], even opposition stations, is that Nato lured Russia into this war,” said Koru.

Ankara is also economically dependent on Russia. Close to half of the country’s natural gas last year was supplied by Gazprom. The state-owned Rosatom is building Turkey’s first nuclear plant. Tourists from Russia and exports of fresh produce are a vital source of foreign currency. And, as the attack in Idlib two years ago vividly demonstrated, Turkey is vulnerable to retaliation by Moscow in Syria. “Turkey knows that obliterating this relationship [with Moscow] in return for something unrealistic from the west isn’t worth it,” said Onur Isci, an assistant professor of international relations at Ankara’s Bilkent University.

The risk for Ankara, analysts say, is that its attempt to maintain ties with Moscow could become increasingly untenable if the violence in Ukraine continues to escalate and Turkey faces pressure to close its airspace to Russian flights or sign up to western sanctions — or even push for its own warships to be allowed to enter the Black Sea.

Moscow, too, may yet seek to test Ankara’s allegiances. “What happens if Russia decides to violate the terms of Montreux, as it has done in the past?” asked the senior western diplomat. “Would Turkey try to intercept a Russian warship? Would we even want them to do that?”

Per two western intelligence officers who spoke to FT

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

TheRat posted:

Russia won the Winter War efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Wait, the Russians are being encircled? That cannot be true, but would be loving fantastic if it were.