Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Uncle Wemus posted:

Lol 4ever that disney, the biggest loving company in the world, made worse star wars movies than George Lucas

it's so loving funny, just two juggernauts of pop culture and media merging, with a theoretical endless talent pool that they could draw on, and they made the 3 dumbest star warses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'll always remember that Disney temporarily owned the Power Rangers but somehow couldn't turn that sweet deal into easy money.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i still lol that db weiss and david benioff were so eager to get in on the star wars that they publicly strangled one of the most popular shows in history in its crib, leading to them getting let go from star wars.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

God Hole posted:

i still lol that db weiss and david benioff were so eager to get in on the star wars that they publicly strangled one of the most popular shows in history in its crib, leading to them getting let go from star wars.

doing so subverted expectations and was therefore good inherently

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
d&d kind of forgot about storycraft

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

babypolis posted:

planning ahead would imply they had a more elaborate idea than "we need to make more star wars movies"

i cant believe their solution for what conflict the sequels should cover was "its the rebels vs the empire again with zero explanation why"

The ineffective liberal rebellion was so unpopular literal nazis came roaring back within 30 years

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Uncle Wemus posted:

The ineffective liberal rebellion was so unpopular literal nazis came roaring back within 30 years

it feels like there's a really good tragic high adventure story in the fight against the regrowing space-nazis as the rebellion proves too fragmented and unguided to form a solid government, you can have jedi trying to rebuild despite the fear, smugglers trying to do the right thing in a pretty grim time, diplomatic intrigue as nobody's sure who stands where anymore...

or I guess...I guess you can do a magic knife map, JJ...yea, okay...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

babypolis posted:

planning ahead would imply they had a more elaborate idea than "we need to make more star wars movies"

i cant believe their solution for what conflict the sequels should cover was "its the rebels vs the empire again with zero explanation why"

Palpatine amasses a fleet in the Unknown Regions bigger than anything the Empire ever had - which could draw resources from the entire civilized galaxy - and nobody noticed.

God Hole posted:

What still gets me about how badly they botched GoT is it could've been a lot better with just a little follow through. Cersei blows up the holiest site in all of Westeros and nothing happens. The Faith Militant were all just a bunch of goons in King's Landing, apparently, and the entire faith of The Seven pretends nothing happened.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Mar 3, 2022

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

its pretty obvious that disney thought star wars was just going to be an infinite money machine and they didnt need to even pretend to try

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

sexpig by night posted:

it feels like there's a really good tragic high adventure story in the fight against the regrowing space-nazis as the rebellion proves too fragmented and unguided to form a solid government, you can have jedi trying to rebuild despite the fear, smugglers trying to do the right thing in a pretty grim time, diplomatic intrigue as nobody's sure who stands where anymore...

or I guess...I guess you can do a magic knife map, JJ...yea, okay...

It's incredible how easily Mandalorian captured the tone of Star Wars just by being straightforward genre schlock. The post-imperial galaxy is still very messy. The Republic is still weak and there are Imperial remnants everywhere - a real Wild West type of situation. You could tell any kind of story in that kind of setting, but instead Disney tried retelling the original trilogy in the first movie, and didn't plan the sequels. When planning out a broad interconnecting franchise is something they should've had a lot of expertise on from Marvel cinema.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

Lol 4ever that disney, the biggest loving company in the world, made worse star wars movies than George Lucas

The prequels set the bar pretty high, so it's not really that strange the sequel movies are worse than the prequels.

I did expect them to be better than the holiday special though

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

McCloud posted:

The prequels set the bar pretty high

lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

jar jar binks was mocked by unrelated acts, genres and venues. the prequels were considered very bad

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

"Had"? Are they extinct now?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Jar jar, actually, is good

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

"Had"? Are they extinct now?

wookiepedia and memory alpha are written in past tense

Wookiepedia posted:

""We're just having another dinner." [Leia breastfeeds Jaina]
"They eat like starving Wookiees. Jacen done already?"
"Just wanted a snack, I guess. He'll probably want the second course in an hour or so."
"I wish they'd get together on scheduling." [Jacen grips Han's finger] "He's going to be a strong one."
"You should feel the grip at this end."

―Leia Organa Solo and Han Solo, discussing their infant twins[src]

Breasts were a functional anatomical feature in some mammalian species that gave birth to live offspring and fed them with milk secreted by their mammary glands. Some non-mammalian species had the appearance of breasts, along with some droids with feminine programming, but they did not have milk-producing mammary glands.[1]

Anakin Skywalker, a Human male, displays defined chest muscles beneath his breasts.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Mar 3, 2022

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nichael posted:

wookiepedia and memory alpha are written in past tense

I guess that fits with the timeline actually.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

God Hole posted:

My brain is swiss cheese to begin with and every still-functioning part of it has been colonized by Elden Ring, so remind me which show this was again?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

My brain is swiss cheese to begin with and every still-functioning part of it has been colonized by Elden Ring, so remind me which show this was again?

game of thrones seasons 6-8

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

what cinema discusso does to a mf

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

God Hole posted:

Well, not it's crib, it was nearing the end either way. But it's hilarious how GoT just kinda evaporated after that last season.

Also Disney was probably concerned that these two morons sabotaged their own perfectly good show that was bringing in mad money as well as tanking the brand, just for their own personal ambition of working on Star Wars. Not even a handover, just pulling the plug and making the show into a joke. It makes them a huge liability because who knows if they'll just decide to dip out on Star Wars too, not that SW's brand needs help being destroyed.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Star Wars is such a poo poo franchise. it has sucked my entire life and yet my entire life people have been asking me to be nostalgic for it for some reason

like drat. the last six movies in the star wars franchise have been terrible

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

8, actually

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

george lucas is a talented director who made a series of six good movies and there's also a lot of associated fiction of varying quality that goes with it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

josh04 posted:

george lucas is a talented director

lmao

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

josh04 posted:

george lucas is a talented director who made a series of six good movies and there's also a lot of associated fiction of varying quality that goes with it.

Zokari posted:

what cinema discusso does to a mf

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Casey Finnigan posted:

Star Wars is such a poo poo franchise. it has sucked my entire life and yet my entire life people have been asking me to be nostalgic for it for some reason

rogue one was good :colbert:

still really surprised that the script was allowed to kill off the cast, and not in a "we can bullshit a way for them to come back later" way by incinerating them with nuclear hellfire

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lucas also just owns, personally

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

rogue one sucks too. having a decent war movie climax doesnt make the rest of the movie less of a gigantic turd

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

its hilarious how every single prequel apologist itt has that snyder gang tag

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im pretty sure the main reason some ppl like rogue one is because they were surprised at everyone dying at the end. which yeah its a bit more grim that you would expect for a disney movie but also it doesnt take a genius to figure out why none of these characters show up again

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Casey Finnigan posted:

It's so played out at this point.

And like, they have literally an entire galaxy to play with, but they just keep focusing on original trilogy people and their descendants/antecedents. Nothing else is going on with anyone who isn't in the Skywalker or Solo dynasty.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thats not true what about boba fett and all his mandalorian friends with extremely distinct personalities compared to boba fett

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I hope that means he got the pay raise and didn't just cave to fan backlash.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

josh04 posted:

lucas also just owns, personally

him pulling a reverse Dave Chappelle and fighting his rich NIMBY town to put in low income housing was cool

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

skipmyseashells posted:

him pulling a reverse Dave Chappelle and fighting his rich NIMBY town to put in low income housing was cool

Did he ever follow through?

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Did he ever follow through?

he’s still in court suing the town lol, dude won’t give up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

American Graffiti.... is good