Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Dante posted:

That sounds like an interesting story!

Well Nemtsov did it has a former vice prime minister, and he was executed right outside the Kremlin to make a point. I think the duma really has extremely limited power as it is right now. Aside from Putin, you have the military and the oligarchs as the two other centers with some power in Russia today.

It doesn't take any power at all to say "stop". I personally would never encourage the variety of bravery that would lead, almost certainly, to death. But if we really want a rule of law community, it's heroes we should ask for, even in a puppet Duma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The whole martial law in Russia thing makes this even better, troops will need to be relegated to these areas instead of the battlefield. I ponder that this is a sign of Putin's downfall in the country. And I don't think tomorrow or the day after or the week after the month after, but Russians have had enough of being locked out of the world. And I'm not even talking sanctions but being a citizen of the pariah state has so little benefits. I mean there's a potential that 100,000 Russians could get slaughtered over the next couple months, that's millions of people having loved ones dead. The state media can't lie to grandparents when their children are literally being sent back to them or just disappearing.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Randarkman posted:

You should not be making these kinds of posts when you can't even follow the news of the day well enough to know that Ukrainian armored elements were mentioned today in relation to a counter-attack north of Luhansk (I think that was it, in the east at least).

I am familiar with that attack. Those forces are not the 1st Tank Bde. This information of this counterattack is directly from what appears to be the 93rd's own Facebook page and I cannot find solid verification of its occurance and or success. (source) https://www.facebook.com/93OMBr/posts/1789154617947987.

It is ironic you think to play gatekeeper and insinuate I know nothing because Luhansk is nowhere near Chernihiv. There is no way for that unit that was defending the Belorussian border and the Desna crossing to magically warp nearly 700 kilometers away through enemy-held territory to participate in an attack there never mind the roads leading out of Chernihiv were cut almost 24 hours ago. I read through as much open-source material as I can find. My go-to currently is https://understandingwar.org/ which keeps a daily assessment updated and a pdf report which is thoroughly sourced.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

This^

I don't know why some people talk about Vladimir Putin like he's loving Emperor Palpatine or something but he's not: he a flawed human being capable of miscalculations and mistakes.

Has he shown savvy and cunning before yes? Did he come from the KGB and become dictator by being ruthless and intelligent? Yes

Was this invasion an utter loving mistake and the invasion plan he signed off on Special forces wankfest worship idiocy?

Yes

You make things bad enough and military commanders start talking about a change at the top and a purge of that inner circle.

Yeah, agreed. Further, no one expected the Tsar to be deposed and shot even in 1917. Regime change can be fast and unexpected when it hits, cause no one planning it wants to publicise their plan until it succeeds. Not that I think it's likely that Putin will be shot any time soon, but we wouldn't likely hear anything until after it happened if it did.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of the Ukrainians are calling the Russians 'Orcs' in reference to LOTR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGVZHLOV60E
Music video praising the Turkish drones Ukrainians are using.

If Tolkien considered the Elves to be French, and the Orcs their dark reflections, then logically the Orcs are Quebecois.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia will declare martial law on March 4th.

Batman will be watched

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wistful of Dollars posted:

If Tolkien considered the Elves to be French, and the Orcs their dark reflections, then logically the Orcs are Quebecois.

Good point.

Epic Mount
Jun 18, 2007

Despera posted:

Hitler sirvived 42 asaaaination attempts that we know of

42...mein fuhrer survived 42 assassination attempts...

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Hope there's no mud in Moscow!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gorman Thomas posted:

Yeah I'm sure it's a LOTR reference man

It actually is. Fun fact, there’s a whole literary niche where Tolkien is interpreted as with Mordor being USSR, and elves being arrogant western racists.

Don’t take it from me, take it from Russia Today https://russian.rt.com/inotv/2019-10-08/Svenska-Dagbladet-viyasnila-pochemu-russkie

Another, more practical reason, is in this being a coincidental tit-for-tat for some Russians mockingly calling Ukrainians “ukrs”.

Saint Kyivanka
Mar 1, 2022

Patron Saint of SA

TheRat posted:

Putin before or as the war starteed said he had a list of 'criminals' that they were going to round up as part of their 'denazification' scheme.

But posters in this thread had said that this was CIA bullshit.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It actually is. Fun fact, there’s a whole literary niche where Tolkien is interpreted as with Mordor being USSR, and elves being arrogant western racists.

Don’t take it from me, take it from Russia Today https://russian.rt.com/inotv/2019-10-08/Svenska-Dagbladet-viyasnila-pochemu-russkie

Another, more practical reason, is in this being a coincidental tit-for-tat for some Russians mockingly calling Ukrainians “ukrs”.

Ukrblyat

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Bisse posted:

There's a lot of talk about momentary Ukranian army victories, demoralized and incompetent Russian units, but what chance does Ukraine actually have in this war? Reading here and on Reddit there seems to be a hopeful spirit and lots of uplifting news, with russians deserting and refusing to follow orders, tanks and convoys being taken out, but looking at the reality on the ground the Russian army is absolutely gargantuan and has only been making advances. The situation for Ukraine seems hopeless.

Here is the thing, the Ukrainians will win in the long run. Do they have a chance to defeat Russia sooner rather than later? All of the real analysts will tell you no; however, there is something to be said about paper armies being put into the field.

Wars have been won with longer odds.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

here comes martial law

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1499200309926981634

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Saint Kyivanka posted:

But posters in this thread had said that this was CIA bullshit.

Ok?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

shameful humans walk among us

https://twitter.com/AdamKinzinger/status/1499128664826523651

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ZombieLenin posted:

Here is the thing, the Ukrainians will win in the long run. Do they have a chance to defeat Russia sooner rather than later? All of the real analysts will tell you no; however, there is something to be said about paper armies being put into the field.

Wars have been won with longer odds.

Yeah but the analyst also said Ukraine was going to lose its air parity within days, they also said the AA defenses would be overwhelmed rapidly. Neither of those things have happened, and the Ukrainian Air Force received a bunch of new fighters/pick and pulls. I don't think any of these analysts thought that Europe was going to make the Ukrainian defense an economic initiative. I believe the overarching theme is that the US wouldn't do anything, and Europe wasn't expected to do anything. And that's been surprisingly wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Well they can't vote against a GOP financial backer.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

Putin probably ran the March payouts early to make sure that he would win a couple votes in the essential time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah but the analyst also said Ukraine was going to lose its air parity within days, they also said the AA defenses would be overwhelmed rapidly. Neither of those things have happened, and the Ukrainian Air Force received a bunch of new fighters/pick and pulls. I don't think any of these analysts thought that Europe was going to make the Ukrainian defense an economic initiative. I believe the overarching theme is that the US wouldn't do anything, and Europe wasn't expected to do anything. And that's been surprisingly wrong.

I really did not expect it to become a new Olympic sport where nations compete on who can contribute the most anti-tank missiles to Ukraine.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Well I hope they saved some of Putler's dirty money, because no more will be coming from there any longer

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

If you're a normal propaganda consuming Russian this looks like an absurd overreaction. Wouldn't this be more concerning?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

I really did not expect it to become a new Olympic sport where nations compete on who can contribute the most anti-tank missiles to Ukraine.

We're replacing the air rifle matches.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Judakel posted:

I ask because I've seen some videos of POWs getting slapped around.

You should probably check your sources a little more closely, considering you've been posting poo poo like that account that was posting Russian propaganda kits about the black people being turned away at the border without disclosing that he was given them by Russia and told to disseminate them (and there was no proof that they were real).

Kchama fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 3, 2022

Saint Kyivanka
Mar 1, 2022

Patron Saint of SA

It was as the invasion started, as part of the "deNazification" excuse for invasion. It was not before.

Western nations were saying that intelligence indicated that they had lists they would use to round up dissenters, and many on SA and in various threads indicated it was nonsense due to Russian sympathies.

So it should not come to any surprise now that it was in fact true and is very dangerous.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
loving hell. If he pulls off martial law, there's nothing stopping him from the most atrocious poo poo ever as long as EU continues non-intervention. The blitzkrieg was the only hope of keeping it from Russia's popular media. Now that it's slowly turning into [insert horrible Russian siege here], if he keeps Russia internally subdued, the only offramp would be a palace coup.

I'm so scared for Ukraine. Sorry about doom posting, but the macro view of this looks really bad to me right now.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Kchama posted:

You should probably check your sources a little more closely, considering you've been posting poo poo like that account that was posting Russian propaganda kits without disclosing that he was given them by Russia and told to disseminate them (and there was no proof that they were real).

The sources were the same ones posted here with pro-Ukrainian content.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

If you're a normal propaganda consuming Russian this looks like an absurd overreaction. Wouldn't this be more concerning?

This would be, but you could reach a conclusion that the West continues its attack on Russia by trying to destabilise the government now that it has rocked the economy boat.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't martial law require you to pull forces to put in your own cities?doesn't seem like the best option during an invasion

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pook Good Mook posted:

I mean, the propaganda will tell you it's reasonable.

TulliusCicero posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't martial law require you to pull forces to put in your own cities?doesn't seem like the best option during an invasion

If he can't do any more invading because he's too busy occupying his own cities, that's awful for everyone in Russia but relatively great for everyone else

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 3, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Russia is not lacking in force, just lacking in forces stationed anywhere near Ukraine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I hope all the Russian soldiers just say gently caress this and defect. Hell, it seems like walking away from your convoy just became the easiest way to escape russia

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

You have to question if Russian soldiers aren’t loving shooting Ukrainians how much they’ll like shooting Russians. It’s not a risk-free move.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Russia has several different large police-like armies, and tons of random conscripts to prop the numbers. They would, realistically speaking, only need to lock down the two Russian cities that matter at all - Moscow, and St. Petersburg.

Saint Kyivanka
Mar 1, 2022

Patron Saint of SA

MikeC posted:

I know it is fashionable to meme on the Russians but frankly, they are consistently winning on all fronts. This isn't US shock and awe pace but they have cleaned up their act from the 'liberators riding through cheering crowds' mode into a more methodical shell them out approach and are making steady gains everywhere. The shots of destruction at Zhytomyr early in the day is just an indication they intend to outflank Kyiv further West than just Marakiv. The Ukrainians identify Russians operating at least 3 of their battalions in the Zhytomyr oblast so their setback in Marakiv may turn out to phyrric. Cherniv is now confirmed to be in seige mode still with no word on whether the lone tank brigade in the Ukrainian battle rolls managed to extract itself. Maybe they aren't mentioned anymore because the unit has been attritted in 5 days fighting to effectively not exist as a maneuver unit. People keep talking about how Kharkiv continues to hold out but most analysts identify the entire eastern area of operations as a secondary supporting effort. No progress is being made in Kyiv but the Russians are intent on encircling it instead of taking the city by storm. The Russians might not even need to physically sit on top of all the roads leading west out of Kyiv to effectively cut it off from fresh NATO weapon supplies and ammunition. If at some point they can just sit their long-range artillery close enough to shell the roads consistently that might be enough to do the job.

Clearly the Russians are bleeding, the fact that they publicly released a figure at all after days of silence means that they feel they can't really hide the scope of the casualties anymore and want to feed a propaganda number that will at least appear to stand up to casual scrutiny with the phone calls coming home. Not sure if it is enough though. Putin is looking like a pitbull right now with negotiations delayed till tommorrow. Maybe just giving his guys time to take Kherson which they did so they have a better spot to negotiate from on March 3.

"Let me show you excited I get about Russian troop movements. THEY WILL WIN THIS WAR."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russia has several different large police-like armies, and tons of random conscripts to prop the numbers. They would, realistically speaking, only need to lock down the two Russian cities that matter at all - Moscow, and St. Petersburg.

Conscripts sound like not-ideal troops to order to shoot your own citizens.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Saint Kyivanka posted:

"Let me show you excited I get about Russian troop movements. THEY WILL WIN THIS WAR."

What is the point of this post?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Pook Good Mook posted:

“Ukrainian terrorists have been discovered in Russia and this is a temporary measure while they are found and dealt with”

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

WHO WILL ENGORCE YOUR MARTIAL LAW PUTIN? GHOSTS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Thanks for the read, didn't know the average Ukranian nationalist was such a fan of comparative literature!