Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

It would make them more useful. But the purpose of obstacles is to get the enemy to go another way, or take time to clear it.

And if they've got a couple of snipers shooting anyone who tries to move those things it could be a significant holdup to whoever is trying to get past it.

What I'm saying is always have a couple of guys overwatching any obstacle you put up. Just a few shots every now and again with exponentially slow down anyone trying to get past it.

I was under the impression any modern heavy armour just shrugs it off when it's just lying around like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TheRat posted:

I was under the impression any modern heavy armour just shrugs it off when it's just lying around like that.

More it just pushes it out of the way easily

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

It should def go to a landlocked nation but one so far away that it’s completely useless. Congrats to future EU Candidate Central African Republic

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Mokotow posted:

It was never Polish. We have zero claim on it an no one ever called for it to be a part of Poland. If anything, it belongs to the baltics.

Neither was most of the portion of East Prussia given to Poland east of the Oder–Neisse line at the conclusion of the Second World War. Assigning what is now Kaliningrad to Poland would be in-line with the spirit of the Treaty of Zgorzelec, the Treaty of Warsaw, and the German–Polish Border Treaty; all of which contribute to the final settlement of the German/Polish border following the Second World War.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

lilljonas posted:

It's not hosed up. Sports has been a huge part of Putin's propaganda machine, and saying that Russia is not officially competing at the Olympics, while wearing white, blue and red uniforms with a gleaming Putin next to them when they get medals, is the least effective sanction ever imagined by mankind.

Kicking Russians out of all international sports is something that their propaganda machine CAN'T hide. They can cut off all international news, social media etc. to hide the world's disgust, but they can't engineer a fake Europa League to compete in.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the athletes not being able to compete, at all, under any flag or combination of colors or anthem, because of their passport. This is not the same as the Olympics. Russian and Belarusian paralympians are banned, full stop. They can't compete, at all.

It's not an injustice on the scale of the invasion of Ukraine at all, no, but it's pretty bad optically.

But do ban those particular people, for actions they've actually taken.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 3, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Kaal posted:

Task & Purpose released their third episodic war update. It's a good recap from a military perspective. Basically they're seeing that the Russians are setting up forward operating bases at the edge of artillery range of the major Ukrainian cities, and expect a continuation of siege tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5BAZ2bBUzM

I can just about handle listening to that lad for the logistical info, but after ten minutes i want to vomit into his mouth so he'll stop speaking. :argh:

Sorry for that mental image btw. :blush:

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Doesn't Russia have a good-sized border with NATO in the Baltics? I guess compared to the absolute length of Russia's borders it's not all that big, but they border a lot more NATO members than just in Kalininigrad.

this, too
They have a NATO border with Poland, Norway, Estonia and Latvia who are all NATO members. It's still a quite small border in the grand scheme of Russia's immense size. The point was that they already have a border with NATO.

edit: actually now I forgot about Lithuania who also borders on Kaliningrad

Dante fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 3, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ZombieLenin posted:

That's why I have two caveats in my statement. First, I would be careful to call out only assassinations involving nerve agents and radioactive poisons; the use of both of which on foreign soil is not only an act of war, but an act of war involving illegal weapons of mass destruction.

I would also be careful to phrase it as could trigger Article 5.

FFS NATO has announced cyber attacks can trigger Article 5, I think Putin and the FSB need to be reminded that deploying chemical or radiological weapons on foreign soil for any reason whatsoever actually does constitute an act of war.

nobody believes NATO is going to war with russia over an assassination, so all you do is make NATO less credible. same reason why it was probably dumb to suggest cyberattacks could do it and why russia has paid not the tiniest bit of attention to that threat.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Random chant of „gently caress Putin” by some football fans outside my window in downtown Warsaw now. Nice.

Watching the Kiev skyline now and on webcam nad its striking how huge that city is.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TheRat posted:

I have seen M1Abrahms completely stopped by running over barbed wire before. But, maybe it could just push those out of the way, but I know I wouldn't drive over it.

I think it would mess up a truck for sure.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Looke posted:

putin is such a oval office

Big if true.

It is.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Saladman posted:

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the athletes not being able to compete, at all, under any flag or combination of colors or anthem, because of their passport. This is not the same as the Olympics. Russian and Belarusian paralympians are banned, full stop. They can't compete, at all.

It's not an injustice on the scale of the invasion of Ukraine at all, no, but it's pretty bad optically.

Well we don’t want it, and that’s according to the Polish MOD. Poland considers all territorial claims towards its neighbors settled.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Ikasuhito posted:

Big if true.

It is.

:hmmyes:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

This is all so crushing. The idea of a heroic Ukranian victory is fading and all I can imagine is a long, violent, oppressive occupation in Ukraine and a sustained crackdown on human rights in Russia.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

evilweasel posted:

nobody believes NATO is going to war with russia over an assassination, so all you do is make NATO less credible. same reason why it was probably dumb to suggest cyberattacks could do it and why russia has paid not the tiniest bit of attention to that threat.

Speaking of acts of war against NATO countries... forcing NATO flag vessels to act as shields for the Russian navy in a war zone, if true, certainly meets that criteria. Then there are the mysteriously "crashed" Romanian fighter and helicopter over the Black Sea.

Russia has been flirting with very real Article 5 triggers for days.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

loving hell how?????

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1499414098483814406?t=cJWpUm8pTTBIImCxt9SHBw&s=19

Also econ news:

https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/1499414520560816139?t=xpY1MlOm6J8g-i33YWBckw&s=19

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I have seen M1Abrahms completely stopped by running over barbed wire before. But, maybe it could just push those out of the way, but I know I wouldn't drive over it.

I think it would mess up a truck for sure.

Even if it just makes a tank throw a track, that’s a mobility kill (until someone can come fix it, but lol at that).

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just learned Lukoil has stations in the US, what the gently caress?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

Speaking of acts of war against NATO countries... forcing NATO flag vessels to act as shields for the Russian navy in a war zone, if true, certainly meets that criteria. Then there are the mysteriously "crashed" Romanian fighter and helicopter over the Black Sea.

Russia has been flirting with very real Article 5 triggers for days.

This is predicted, too, fwiw.

"Putin hopes to spark a conflict in the Baltics, Piontkovsky wrote, so as to force Western European leaders into an impossible choice: Fulfill their NATO obligation to defend the Baltics and counterattack, even if it means fighting World War III over a tiny post-Soviet republic most Europeans couldn't care less about — or do nothing."

https://www.vox.com/2015/6/29/8845913/russia-war

Best article I've read on the current situation; and it was penned in 2015

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Just Another Lurker posted:

I can just about handle listening to that lad for the logistical info, but after ten minutes i want to vomit into his mouth so he'll stop speaking. :argh:

Sorry for that mental image btw. :blush:

He has Youtuber mouth in all of his thumbnails, so he always looks like he wants someone to do that.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Some EU news (machine translated as usual):

Tagesschau posted:

The EU states have agreed to take in war refugees from Ukraine quickly and without complications. This was announced by EU Commissioner for Home Affairs Ylva Johansson on Twitter. She spoke of a historic decision. At the request of the EU member states, the EU Commission had proposed that a directive be put into effect for the first time for the rapid and unbureaucratic protection of war refugees from Ukraine in the event of a "mass influx" of displaced persons. The protection is initially valid for one year, but can be extended for a total of two more years. A lengthy asylum procedure is not necessary for this, but the right to apply for asylum continues to exist. At the same time, those seeking protection are guaranteed minimum standards such as access to social assistance and a work permit.

The last sentence is pretty big, that was a major problem with refugees from the Syrian civil war. They were often stuck in camps and weren't allowed to work, slowly going nuts while the bureaucracy processed their claims.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

Even if it just makes a tank throw a track, that’s a mobility kill (until someone can come fix it, but lol at that).

Yeah, and if there's a sniper waiting to shoot anyone who tries to fix it that'll slow them down even more.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

JerikTelorian posted:

This is all so crushing. The idea of a heroic Ukranian victory is fading and all I can imagine is a long, violent, oppressive occupation in Ukraine and a sustained crackdown on human rights in Russia.

Yeah pretty much, it's hard to see any outcome that isn't dismal for a long time. The only real geopolitical actor that could force a settlement is China, because Russia will be heavily dependent on them going forward, but they have no real reason to care about this.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

They probably have been husbanding their forces pretty carefully.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

cinci zoo sniper posted:

When I liberate cities, the first item on my itinerary also is to plant IEDs on pedestrian walkways.

To me, its sort of in the fog-of-war territory. Is it confirmed that the Russians planted it or is it a left-over from Ukrainian defense?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Franchise owners should be allowed to toss their contract and go independent or find a new franchise, rather than be shut down like New Jersey is doing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ikasuhito posted:

Big if true.

It is.

So I met Putin, and I said "Hello, Mr. President, Hello Mr. President"
"Why did you say that twice," said he -and I said, "I didn't"

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Walked posted:

"Putin hopes to spark a conflict in the Baltics, Piontkovsky wrote, so as to force Western European leaders into an impossible choice: Fulfill their NATO obligation to defend the Baltics and counterattack, even if it means fighting World War III over a tiny post-Soviet republic most Europeans couldn't care less about — or do nothing."

I think he will be extremely disappointed in the results--especially now. I think the whole world would be disappointed with the results.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mokotow posted:

Just learned Lukoil has stations in the US, what the gently caress?

They are almost all in NJ with a few in PA and NY.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Walked posted:

nobody in the west (except for canada where everyone's Ukrainian) really cared about ukraine before this year so i would say that its not as impossible a choice as he may think

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

So I met Putin, and I said "Hello, Mr. President, Hello Mr. President"
"Why did you say that twice," said he -and I said, "I didn't"

Idgi

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/myroslavapetsa/status/1499403964751781888?s=20&t=NsSf07fxFI10xhkSjU5B8g

22 civilians reportedly killed in Chernihiv.
Sister sent pics of buildings there blown to gently caress and back. Host brother and cousin's schools are destroyed.
I dare not ask if the school I taught at is still standing.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
watch Predator?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ukraine actually still controls large swathes of land. Its the muddy season, Russian troops are sticking to roads, likely missing most of them and Russia continues to fail to have actual air supremacy.

They've also captured MULTIPLE Russian anti-air systems that are no doubt being pressed into service.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I guess it works better in Russain?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I think it’s safe to assume that they get some very expensive American intel on what are the actual strike targets for ballistic missiles etcetera, and just jiggle the stuff around.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Walked posted:

This is very wrong. Poland and Baltic countries would love to get involved in Ukraine, and Germany just approved a 100bn Euro extraordinary spenditure for its military.

We care about Ukraine and if it weren't for the Russian nukes we would be already fighting there. Touching Baltic countries would be worse, as it would require, as per article 5 of the nato charter, immediate involvement of all nato allies.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Weapons posting ahead

One of the big fuckoff booms from last night was probably this getting blow up
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1499416997741969409?t=KBZpV9FE1sLdl9lGn82SpQ&s=19

This dude threads poo poo weird, so two unrelated items. Also be careful on the click through - the thread is a mix of images of varying violence.

Protests in Primorsk, which is thought to be under Russian control
The Ukranians captured another TOS-1. Not sure if they're gonna light this one on fire or not
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1499378385398730755?t=LwyVWoN2JsKFfGLu2l22MA&s=19

More evidence of successful Ukrainian counterattacks in Kyiv Oblast
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499400684747165696?t=IMr9w91hzsrVTezsfFclgg&s=19

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

I guess it works better in Russain?

so this is the rumored untranslatable pun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm curious how long Russian munitions will last. We saw they weren't expecting a long war, we saw the UK and France blow through their stockpiles in a week in Libya, and we saw that the Russian military does an abysmal job of performing basic maintenance or adequate appropriations.