Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
A scathing critique of Russian strategy so far

quote:

Russian commanders appear to prefer opening up new lines of advance for regiment-sized operations but have been unable to achieve meaningful synergies between efforts along different axes toward the same objectives. They have also continued conducting operations in southern Ukraine along three diverging axes rather than concentrating on one or attempting mutually supporting efforts. These failures of basic operational art—long a strong suit of the Soviet military and heavily studied at Russian military academies—remain inexplicable as does the Russian military’s failure to gain air superiority or at least to ground the Ukrainian Air Force

https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Facebook is down in Russia. I wonder how this will affect things?

https://twitter.com/EilishHart/status/1499516871837720582?t=LWFyMGdOWssoFMsXEFwmXQ&s=19

The Globalchecker account tracks what websites are available in Russia - BBC and BBC Russia are also down, among others

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What the gently caress the CDC said that this new variant wasn't going to....

Oh

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It's becoming pretty clear that some of the more vocal and disruptive elements on social media and political discourse, on both sides of the political spectrum (or maybe same side, given the horseshoe), have been amplified by Russian dark money over the past decade.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

ha, you are falling for american lies. these vehicles are simply being left as a burden on enemy soil, to clear the way for the better tanks yet to come

yes, but with a much, much, MUCH higher rate of casualties. in the first week of the invasion of ukraine, russia plausibly has lost as many soldiers killed as the united states did during the ENTIRE years long war in iraq, from the invasion to the final withdrawl

But we’ve seen many abandoned and destroyed T-90s and T-72B3s, so your argument about “better equipment to come” seems pretty flimsy. not to mention the very advanced AA that we’ve seen abandoned and destroyed as well

dominoeffect fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 4, 2022

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

yes, but with a much, much, MUCH higher rate of casualties. in the first week of the invasion of ukraine, russia plausibly has lost as many soldiers killed as the united states did during the ENTIRE years long war in iraq, from the invasion to the final withdrawl

Losses are very high compared to Iraq and I think will continue to be high. Ukraine has a capable, equipped Army and is not going to be routed from the field the way Iraq was, but still seems that Russia's advance is going by the book.

I hope that the reality of fighting a modern peer to peer fight, and the losses it incurs means Putin will be more willing to make concessions and agree to a peace. Rather than win the conventional battle at much higher losses.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/EilishHart/status/1499516871837720582?t=LWFyMGdOWssoFMsXEFwmXQ&s=19

The Globalchecker account tracks what websites are available in Russia - BBC and BBC Russia are also down, among others

I actually hope it is not permanent. Lot of people using Facebook to find relatives and also to get the word out to Russians about the War.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dominoeffect posted:

But we’ve seen many abandoned and destroyed T-90s and T-72B3s, so your argument about “better equipment to come” seems pretty flimsy. This says nothing of the very advanced AA that we’ve seen abandoned and destroyed as well

You can have the best equipment, but if its not maintained, if its not manned with a good crew, its trash.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Sanguinia posted:

I bet there's some Russian news rag that's already comparing Macron to Napoleon over it.

I bet he loves the compliment

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ronya posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/kazakh-provider-blocks-russian-tv-stations-over-ukraine-war-2022-02-28/

Ukrainization! The verbization continues.

Entirely normal for a government only recently installed by Russian forces to demonstrate its autonomy for domestic consumption, of course; only a truly paranoid Moscow would overreact...?

Does Russia realize that they not only risk losing Eastern Europe to the West, but Central Asia to the East?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1499377671855292423

very good thread on the VDV and how Russian propaganda makes them out to be delta force types, when in fact they are mostly super riot cops mixed with SS who go in a crack heads when their are uprisings or protests. like you have to be 6ft to be in the VDV because its all about psyops bullshit. so when they are tossed against and actual army. they implode. hard.

this thread is pretty weird. it reduces the role of paratroopers to just "if they're not being thrown from planes, they are only glorified riot cops". i agree with the whole thing about them serving a really pompous macho role but at the same time VDV units did hard fighting in ukraine 2014 (allegedly). this reads a lot more like politically frustrated sounding off at a bunch of fountain-frolicking dickheads than it does an actual review of the role of airborne infantry in the modern russian military

Ciprian Maricon posted:

but still seems that Russia's advance is going by the book.

absolutely not

it seems pretty obvious at this point that russia expected a pushover given the lack of preparation including SEAD, the broadness of the attack, and the lack of subsequent follow through. this includes the multiple times the VDV was committed and lost in highly reckless, unsupported attacks. if this was the plan i'd be really interested to see the plans which were rejected lol

russia still has the forces to just hammer their way through, but they did try the fancy end run first and got utterly clobbered for it

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 4, 2022

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Every Finn I know hates Russians with the passion of a thousands stars going supernova at once. One of my old labs used to have lab outings to the movies and every time we'd sneak in a few bags of fast food.

Every single time the Russian postdoc's food mysteriously went missing; turned out the Finnish postdoc was sitting closer to the aisle and snagging his order out of the bag.

It was awesome.
As a fellow Finnish person, whoever did that was a Class A proper racist oval office and gently caress him and his family forever. Anyone with two brain cells in Finland is able to tell a difference between a just a rando Russian and real proper Putinist, and we've got enough of natives ones to not spend extra effort in harassing Russian speakers. Most of Russian speakers I know in Finland moved explicitly because they didn't see any future in a country led by Putin and his cronies.

gently caress you and your racist shithead friend.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Government is blocking Facebook and Twitter, or trying to anyway. This does affect ability of Russian millennials to coordinate for protests, and to receive and disseminate information from Ukraine and elsewhere.

Russia’s domestic social network, VK, snitches on everything to government, and is (still, I believe) blocked in Ukraine. Before 2014 both Russians and Ukrainians were primarily using VK.

That said, Telegram is immensely popular and not blocked, and is playing a prominent role in the information flow for this conflict already. Technical issues are some of the least worrisome items on organisers’ itinerary.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

MikeC posted:

A scathing critique of Russian strategy so far

Yeah, I can see war nerds decrying the inelegance, but the Russians are doing it the hard way. The hardest way. But they are still doing it. Somebody got told "I don't give a gently caress, just do it."

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

The interesting thing is they quietly dropped the refrain that Russia had sufficient conventional forces to reinforce all their axes of advance and overwhelm the Ukrainians.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

slowdave posted:

Misread that as Bumble at first and was very confused.

Oh. You mean West Elm Vladmir?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Is Russia still going to enact a state of emergency?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

very good thread on the VDV and how Russian propaganda makes them out to be delta force types, when in fact they are mostly super riot cops mixed with SS who go in a crack heads when their are uprisings or protests. like you have to be 6ft to be in the VDV because its all about psyops bullshit. so when they are tossed against and actual army. they implode. hard.

They also get a special yearly holiday dedicated just for them, where they all descend on Moscow, get drunk, and then walk around the city sexually assaulting women, and punching/beating any "effeminate" looking men without any repercussions from the police or the army.

Some in Moscow gov't after facing requests to allow an LGBT pride parade famously stated that they would only allow it to happen on VDV day, that way it will be "taken care of" forever and they won't get bothered again.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 4, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quarantinethepast posted:

Is Russia still going to enact a state of emergency?

Martial law, you mean? The word goes that yes, today is the day.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Rad Russian posted:

They also get a special yearly holiday dedicated just for them, where all descend on Moscow, get drunk, and then walk around the city sexually assaulting women, and punching/beating any "effeminate" looking men without any repercussions from the police or the army.

We call that Fleet Week in SF.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I had to share this here.

My sister posted:

Since the war broke out (we all know it's not a "technical operation") my newsfeed has been flooded with people offering their homes to people fleeing Ukraine, people collecting donations and offers of assistance to the refugees. For a week now, we've been eating and breathing Ukraine. We go to bed thinking of ways to help and we wake up thinking of the people of Ukraine.

Today I saw a post from a woman who took in a Ukrainian mom with two kids, aged 4 and 8. The 4 year old was injured at birth, she is now in a wheelchair. As she is unable to walk or play, her only entertainment is watching a Hungarian cartoon while she eats her pureed food, the only kind she can eat. The post was asking for a new tablet, as the old one broke while they were fleeing. Of course, dozens of us offered a new tablet within minutes. As we engaged in conversation in the comments, it turned out that the family came from a very humble background. In Ukraine, they ate what they could grow around the house. The 8 year old never had a banana, or a pineapple. These are the people who are at war now. An 8 year old girl, who never had a banana, a 4 year old in a wheelchair who cannot eat solid food. No mother will ever forget that post, mr putin. We will remember.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1499519380773916674

Soon the Ukrainian military will be equipped with nothing but captured Russian vehicles.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Burning_Monk posted:

We call that Fleet Week in SF.

Do your guys also swim in city fountains (the shallow ones)? Because these ones love to.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So Russia all this time was the Dallas Cowboys? Pieces of quality here and there, but mostly coasting on nostalgia for the old times and veering off course as its leader loses his mind.

It hurts me to say this, but the shoe kinda fits. Now if Jerry Jones would just inflate and hide in a bunker, that'd be swell.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Do your guys also swim in city fountains (the shallow ones)? Because these ones love to.

They got rid of the city fountains because people were taking dumps in them. :(

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

You can have the best equipment, but if its not maintained, if its not manned with a good crew, its trash.

Also supplied and defended. For example it doesn't matter how great of a Anti-Air system you have if you don't have air cover to be able to enable it in the first place and a supply of ammo and fuel to be able to make it useful.

It is the same with a lot of these tanks and other material. You might have some fuel and ammo left but not enough to survive if you get into an actual battle, let alone maintenance people and supplies to fix things as they break down, which they will. It's not surprising that you are seeing tons of material just being abandoned.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Government is blocking Facebook and Twitter, or trying to anyway. This does affect ability of Russian millennials to coordinate for protests, and to receive and disseminate information from Ukraine and elsewhere.

Russia’s domestic social network, VK, snitches on everything to government, and is (still, I believe) blocked in Ukraine. Before 2014 both Russians and Ukrainians were primarily using VK.

That said, Telegram is immensely popular and not blocked, and is playing a prominent role in the information flow for this conflict already. Technical issues are some of the least worrisome items on organisers’ itinerary.

The US State Department funded Tor from the get-go for this express purpose which isn't widely known I don't think?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Losses are very high compared to Iraq and I think will continue to be high. Ukraine has a capable, equipped Army and is not going to be routed from the field the way Iraq was, but still seems that Russia's advance is going by the book.

I hope that the reality of fighting a modern peer to peer fight, and the losses it incurs means Putin will be more willing to make concessions and agree to a peace. Rather than win the conventional battle at much higher losses.

if iraqi's were posting clips on myspace of them joy riding abrams I think you would have the same reaction as many are having now honestly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Shinjobi posted:

So Russia all this time was the Dallas Cowboys? Pieces of quality here and there, but mostly coasting on nostalgia for the old times and veering off course as its leader loses his mind.

It hurts me to say this, but the shoe kinda fits. Now if Jerry Jones would just inflate and hide in a bunker, that'd be swell.

more like the Washington R******s. Racist, run by incompetents, a glorious history and a dire present.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

more like the Washington R******s. Racist, run by incompetents, a glorious history and a dire present.

I guess really you could substitute a ton of teams.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Morrow posted:

The interesting thing is they quietly dropped the refrain that Russia had sufficient conventional forces to reinforce all their axes of advance and overwhelm the Ukrainians.

Interesting note is that the US Intelligence assessment and this blog have repeatedly said before that "Russia has made some mistakes but has the time and resources to change course and correct."

Not seeing a whole lotta correcting, and if the reports coming out Russian military reforms and logistics being a grift pile of incompetence are remotely true, then maybe... just maybeeee they can't switch gears because no one knows how, and all the competent guys are gone.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Ikasuhito posted:

Soon the Ukrainian military will be equipped with nothing but captured Russian vehicles.

So legit question here: what would be the feasibility of Ukraine putting together additional tank units from captured equipment? I imagine using some equipment as cannibalize for parts etc, but they should be somewhat familiar with the operation of it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Fighting in Bucha and on the outskirts of Vorzel has been going on for more than 6 hours

Decisive victory over the attacker.

Stop the fascist menace with a combined arms pincer strike.

Vorzel... that's where my in-laws had their house. Spent a lot of time in Vorzel.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

dominoeffect posted:

But we’ve seen many abandoned and destroyed T-90s and T-72B3s, so your argument about “better equipment to come” seems pretty flimsy. not to mention the very advanced AA that we’ve seen abandoned and destroyed as well

Russia staged more than 1600 tanks for this invasion. 80, even double that number disabled or captured, is just not enough.

absolutely not

it seems pretty obvious at this point that russia expected a pushover given the lack of preparation including SEAD, the broadness of the attack, and the lack of subsequent follow through. this includes the multiple times the VDV was committed and lost in highly reckless, unsupported attacks. if this was the plan i'd be really interested to see the plans which were rejected lol

russia still has the forces to just hammer their way through, but they did try the fancy end run first and got utterly clobbered for it

It really is

https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_Ground_Forces

For example, forward elements are expected to advance

quote:

...an operational depth of 50 kilometers for company sized unites, and 80 kilometers for battalion elements is common.

If you look at the map, 50-80 kilometers, is the kind of ranges were seeing Russian leading elements make from day to day.

Russia is not getting to dictate the terms of the war, they aren't winning every battle, they don't have complete control of the conflict but that doesn't mean this falls outside of the way they would expect to conduct a war.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Doccers posted:

So legit question here: what would be the feasibility of Ukraine putting together additional tank units from captured equipment? I imagine using some equipment as cannibalize for parts etc, but they should be somewhat familiar with the operation of it?

highly feasible since they use basically the same tanks as Russia.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Play posted:

Russia isn't 'winning' this scenario even if they eventually grind all of Ukraine to dust. They've already lost more, in the big picture, than they could ever gain from this. That's where the rosy view comes from, the fact that the majority of the world has stood up and said 'enough, this can't keep happening'.

Putin can stubbornly stay the course if he wants to but he is only harming (in a political/economic/military sense, since yes he's harming a lot of Ukrainians and Russian conscripts as well) himself and his country's future.

Like, I get this? I really do. But it’s hard to appreciate that with Ukraine facing the prospect of total subjugation, at least in the near term.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ikasuhito posted:

I mean here are the numbers as per his most updated post:

Russian losses
Russia - 557, of which: destroyed: 228, damaged: 8, abandoned: 131, captured: 190
Tanks (74, of which destroyed: 24, damaged: 1, abandoned: 23, captured: 26)

Ukraine Losses - less firm because they have better operational security

Ukraine - 182, of which: destroyed: 70, damaged: 4, abandoned: 43, captured: 65
Tanks (29, of which destroyed: 9, abandoned: 10, captured: 10)

Ukraine has officially captured more vehicles than they've reportedly lost total. For tanks they've replaced all but 3 of their losses with captured replacements.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

ronya posted:

Entirely normal for a government only recently installed by Russian forces to demonstrate its autonomy for domestic consumption, of course; only a truly paranoid Moscow would overreact...?

If I was Putin, what I'd ask from Kazakstan is not their army (which is small, and probably needed where it is), but to be my backdoor and help evading sanctions. Being visibly pro-ukraine would be a necessity for that.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Shinjobi posted:

I guess really you could substitute a ton of teams.

Turns out top down leadership structures that all hinge on a single ancient out of touch billionaire tend to have a bunch of similar flaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Interesting note is that the US Intelligence assessment and this blog have repeatedly said before that "Russia has made some mistakes but has the time and resources to change course and correct."

I feel like everybody has been far too quick to take Russian numerical and material superiority for granted, and what of it there is/was must also have been diluted by attacking in so many place at once rather.