Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

still wild his bounty is only behind zoro, sanji and jinbe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Luffy is spent. It’d take a crazy development for him to get another shot at Kaido anytime soon, and I can’t imagine anyone else will beat him. His “wings” aren’t in fighting shape, even. What on earth is about to happen?!

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Electric Phantasm posted:

What did the CP0 guy do to Luffy?

Grabbed Luffy's arm and used Iron Body to stop him from throwing his punch

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

JahRoo posted:

still wild his bounty is only behind zoro, sanji and jinbe

I forgot that Sanji has just barely a higher bounty than Zoro lol.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Drake...

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Julias posted:

Agreed. It's a cool fight.

So uhhhhhhh this chapter pretty much confirms that Luffy's fruit isn't actually the gomu gomu no mi, right? At least if we take Kaido's words about how rubber shouldn't be able to bend that way at face value, and it lines up with most of the recent things like the five elders telling cp0 to kill luffy. Though it's weird that they talked about this fruit recently awakening, but to our knowledge Luffy hasn't awakened anything yet

‘Awakening’ could just as easily be a turn of phrase to mean that a fruit hasn’t appeared or been used in public.

And I still don’t see Oda writing himself into that kind of corner. “It’s actually not the fruit I told you it was for over 20 years” is too much the bad writer escaping for Oda.

I think it still aims most squarely at Toki.

Also: great chapter and I really liked the payoff from Oden/Luffy parallels.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I wanted to post even before I finished the chapter: Holy poo poo that opening panel. Mr. CP0 being loving impaled out of nowhere... and then he loving teleports away and stabs Drake through the loving neck. This CP0 guy doesn't gently caress around! I kind of felt like because they weren't in the lineup for a fight they were probably kind of chumps, but holy poo poo, this guy is the real deal.

And then when I finished the chapter: I totally forgot about that CP0 guy's existence with how intense Luffy vs Kaido was! It really felt like it must be coming to a decisive end, and then that fucker! The look on Kaido's face! The dispair! What's going to happen next?

In conclusion: One Piece Good.

Do we even know CP0's name?

Fecha posted:

Luffy is spent. It’d take a crazy development for him to get another shot at Kaido anytime soon, and I can’t imagine anyone else will beat him. His “wings” aren’t in fighting shape, even. What on earth is about to happen?!
Yeah, for real. I have no idea what's going to happen next. This feels like a more decisive defeat than just "he's gotta run around for 10 minutes to recharge." Like, it's gotta be a situation where he's going to get an opportunity to recharge... but everyone has already confronted Kaido. Who's going to stall for Luffy? Everything looks like it's done... except Luffy hasn't won. It's crazy.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

I could see Oda continuing the Luffy/Oden parallel but show Kaido as the one who changed in the intervening years.

This time he doesn’t take the easy win and instead takes out the CP0 leader and gives Luffy a breather.

It’s a framework Oda has used a lot — Luffy is who he is, we measure change or the way he effects people around him by their reaction, not necessarily Luffy himself.

Wano’s had some pretty consistently great writing. I’m sure whatever comes next it’ll be great.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mabels big day posted:

"Rubber shouldn't be able to do that" hmmmmmmmmmmm

didnt luffy tank a boro blast earlier in the fight and he said the reason he didnt get hurt was because he was rubber? that made no sense, and now it makes sense in the context that he doesnt have the rubber fruit.

bleh. i dont really like this sort of thing, i hope oda pulls it off

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

:(

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Actually yeah, I could see Kaido genuinely being so bummed that he just knocks CP0 guy off the island, sits down and gives Luffy a moment to recover.

He clearly never got over getting the cheap shot on Oden like that.

anime was right posted:

didnt luffy tank a boro blast earlier in the fight and he said the reason he didnt get hurt was because he was rubber? that made no sense, and now it makes sense in the context that he doesnt have the rubber fruit.

To everyone worried about this, how the gently caress do you explain Luffy's performance against Enel if his fruit ISN'T some kind of rubber?

Also he said it was GUTS!!!

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 4, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Christ this is a great series :stwoon:

Love that Kaido has Observation Haki too but apparently just never bothers to use it because his fights are usually such straightforward affairs it hasn't been needed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Marluxia posted:

Actually yeah, I could see Kaido genuinely being so bummed that he just knocks CP0 guy off the island, sits down and gives Luffy a moment to recover.

To everyone worried about this, how the gently caress do you explain Luffy's performance against Enel if his fruit ISN'T some kind of rubber?

Also he said it was GUTS!!!

I could see Kaidou going into a "remorseful drunk" phase and outright self-harming, sort of like what Katakuri did in a similar situation.

And I thought of the Enel thing too. But most plastics are insulators to at least some extent; I could buy Luffy being plastic instead of rubber, I guess.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 4, 2022

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
My two least favorite things of this arc are the fruit awakening poo poo and CP0 so count me down for thinking this chapter kinda sucked.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

isn’t that rob lucci?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ubiquitus posted:

isn’t that rob lucci?

No, Rob Lucci and Kaku were talking to these guys on the phone. He still has his top hat and pigeon, iirc.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

My two least favorite things of this arc are the fruit awakening poo poo and CP0 so count me down for thinking this chapter kinda sucked.
I thought CP0 were a bit lame when they were kind of pointless commentators. In this chapter they proved to be an emotionally pivotal part of this arc. Not because they had a good reason to be there, but because they didn't.

If you're left feeling like Mr CP0 should not have been there and that it was stupid and lame that he was... well then you understand Kaido's emotional state right now!

I think their presence makes enough sense that I'm not literally perplexed, but when Luffy and Kaido are having such a personal clash, talking about strength and what makes people valuable, and this fucker shows up with his mere political interest... well, it sucks for Kaido, but not in a way the audience can be happy with either. And that's a nice feeling to capture for multiple thematically relevant reasons.

As for the other bit, I have no idea what in this chapter had to do with fruit awakening and there's too much actually interesting stuff to engage with that subject. If it is being hinted at, cool, I'll be surprised later because it's really not clear or interesting at the moment if that's what's going on.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

loving insane we still don't know his name

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

not necessarily. Luffy could be using mini awakening to change the direction of his punches by making the air rubbery. Either way I have faith in Oda.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
given that this cp0 guy just interrupted kaido even though he thought it was the stupidest idea on the planet and the fact that he envied drake being able to enact his own justice makes me think the cp0 guy is not exactly able to say no to the WG

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

anime was right posted:

given that this cp0 guy just interrupted kaido even though he thought it was the stupidest idea on the planet and the fact that he envied drake being able to enact his own justice makes me think the cp0 guy is not exactly able to say no to the WG

I can buy this since he'd rather face down a wildly drunk Kaido than answer to five men with fantastical moustaches

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The "Rubber can't do that!" probably hints more towards awakening than Luffy having a different fruit imo. Maybe it's that he can make anything bouncy, including air or something :shrug:

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Julias posted:

Agreed. It's a cool fight.

So uhhhhhhh this chapter pretty much confirms that Luffy's fruit isn't actually the gomu gomu no mi, right? At least if we take Kaido's words about how rubber shouldn't be able to bend that way at face value, and it lines up with most of the recent things like the five elders telling cp0 to kill luffy. Though it's weird that they talked about this fruit recently awakening, but to our knowledge Luffy hasn't awakened anything yet

Twice this arc, Luffy has still appeared to be conscious after being knocked out. The first time Kaido said he could feel Luffy glaring at him, the second time Luffy actually communicated telepathically (presumably using 'Voice of All Things') with Momo and Law's crew. If his devil fruit IS the one the Five Elders were talking about, perhaps these are signs of it awakening... and Im sensed the second occurrence from all the way in Mariejoa.

In which case, if Luffy has been KO'd by this attack there's a good chance we'll see a more definitive manifestation of its awakened mode!

Marluxia posted:

I could see Act 3 ending next chapter as Kaido calls for a time-out until Luffy recovers enough for one final blow. Leading into Act 4, where Kaido tells his backstory to Luffy over a cup of sake, while waiting for his haki to recharge...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

mabels big day posted:

"Rubber shouldn't be able to do that" hmmmmmmmmmmm

I feel like y'all are taking this line too literally. It read to me more as Kaido not expecting Luffy to be able to do creative poo poo like snakeman with his devil fruit. It's not like Kaido is an expert on the physical properties of rubber, or even devil fruits.

Hopefully the official translation clears it up a bit.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

anime was right posted:

it’s the yoga yoga fruit

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

GOOD CH.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Kaido using his Observation Haki to see break weeks in advance.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

hosed up this is how one piece ends

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Is the bowler hat guy Blueno?

- Not seen since timeskip
- Used tekkai
- Same head/face shape
- Has chin stubble/beard
- Hat hides his horns???

Would be cool if the guy who was around for the beginning of Gear Two/Three was around for Awakening too lol

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

Cat Machine posted:

Is the bowler hat guy Blueno?

- Not seen since timeskip
- Used tekkai
- Same head/face shape
- Has chin stubble/beard
- Hat hides his horns???

Would be cool if the guy who was around for the beginning of Gear Two/Three was around for Awakening too lol

I think if that were the case, we would already have seen him use Blueno's trademark Air Door ability, no? Also Blueno's horns would have had to shrink considerably (or be cut off) to fit under that hat

edit: also also, I think Bowler Hat's lifespan is gonna be pretty short after this considering he's facing an outraged Kaido, and I don't think Oda would want to do that to Blueno

Siliziumleben fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 4, 2022

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i dont think there's going to be a "recharge" period. luffy's getting up from that hit. i mean, the entire name and point of the chapter is "winners don't need excuses". luffy fundamentally believes that too (see: katakuri, "at sea you fight pirates", etc.) with the renewed emphasis in-narrative on the importance of winning here (check how luffy's tone has changed over the last 3 or so chapters compared to the preceding ones - he's dropped the "im having fun" thing as much in favor of "i quite literally need to win for this country and all of my friends") i can guarantee a big emotional beat in this story is luffy surpassing oden by winning despite the interruption

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
this chapter's great achievement is making me feel bad not just for Luffy, but also Kaido AND Bowler Hat, all at the same time

and I'm not sure what's more brutal, that final Thunder Roaring Bagua or X-Drake getting his throat ventilated :pwn:

Siliziumleben fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 4, 2022

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Siliziumleben posted:

I think if that were the case, we would already have seen him use Blueno's trademark Air Door ability, no?

How did he get onto the roof so quickly?? 😇

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

tbp posted:

i dont think there's going to be a "recharge" period. luffy's getting up from that hit. i mean, the entire name and point of the chapter is "winners don't need excuses". luffy fundamentally believes that too (see: katakuri, "at sea you fight pirates", etc.) with the renewed emphasis in-narrative on the importance of winning here (check how luffy's tone has changed over the last 3 or so chapters compared to the preceding ones - he's dropped the "im having fun" thing as much in favor of "i quite literally need to win for this country and all of my friends") i can guarantee a big emotional beat in this story is luffy surpassing oden by winning despite the interruption

Turns our when you awaken the Gum Gum Fruit, you get the power to bounce back from anything.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

i am tim! posted:

Turns our when you awaken the Gum Gum Fruit, you get the power to bounce back from anything.
GO LUFFY GO

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

tbp posted:

Personally I don't think he's KO'd but he's out of haki. I'm not confident an awakened gomu gomu fruit on its own would make much of a difference.

I only see three outcomes. His fruit is the legendary one and it awakens properly, ending the fight in some game changing way. Or Kaido calls a time-out so Luffy can take one more full powered shot at him after his haki recharges. Or some combo of the two.

jassa fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 4, 2022

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The lanterns are gonna float up the dreams of Wano’s people and give Luffy what he needs to beat Kaido for good and it’s gonna be sick

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

jassa posted:

Personally I don't think he's KO'd but he's out of haki. I'm not confident an awakened gomu gomu fruit on its own would make much of a difference.

I only see three outcomes. His fruit is the legendary one and it awakens properly, ending the fight in some game changing way. Or Kaido calls a time-out so Luffy can take one more full powered shot at him after his haki recharges. Or some combo of the two.

Yeah, or Luffy loses and doesn't become the Pirate King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Cat Machine posted:

How did he get onto the roof so quickly?? 😇

He got serious, and used Soru. The new hole Kaido blasted through the island probably helped provide a direct route for him too.

Scholtz posted:

Yeah, or Luffy loses and doesn't become the Pirate King.

Never gonna happen.