Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's a great looking M3, how did you do the periscopes? The T-34 also looks great, but it looks like it has less detail than the much smaller M3.

Little dab of sky blue and French mirage blue at about 1:1, plus some varnishing to catch the light. Basic as possible.

I can only assume it's the relative age of the kits. The T-34's from 2007, while the M3's a relatively recent 2015, well into Zvezda's new CAD sculpting at that scale. For a dirt-cheap kit, I gotta say the M3's pretty nice. The strangest omission is the headlights being blank monoliths, but that seems to be Zvezda's style at that scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You have to remember that the Zvezda 1/100 kits are wargaming miniatures that just happen to end up in model kit shops. They're designed to be pushed around on a board. Really nice and cheap for what they are, but you can likely find better detailed versions out there if you want to pay a bit more and buy five at once.

NTRabbit posted:

But how will the fellas shoot people?
Very well, thank you.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The worst kit I've ever put together was Revell's F4U Corsair. The main fuselage refused to fit together. If I remember correctly one side was longer than the other. It put me off Revell for a long time.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Darth Brooks posted:

The worst kit I've ever put together was Revell's F4U Corsair. The main fuselage refused to fit together. If I remember correctly one side was longer than the other. It put me off Revell for a long time.

Is that the 32nd scale one? I picked one of those up for about $4 around 5 years ago and it's still sitting in the stash.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Sounds right. Did they ever retire that mold?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Looks like you can still pay $50 for it on Amazon, which is fuckin criminal really.

https://www.amazon.com/Revell-Germany-Vought-Corsair-Plastic/dp/B0002HZ22W

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

lol at that review:

"Patético"

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Kind of amazing that that mold is almost twice as old as the original plane it's based on was when the mold was made.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Since I've got all my paints on the new rack now, I hacked up one of the older tiered racks I was using and made a glue-station with some light modification. Nice 15 minute project.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I'd buy a couple.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ICM just announced they're out of action for a while, for obvious reasons :ohdear:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

ICM just announced they're out of action for a while, for obvious reasons :ohdear:

There's a lot of kit manufacturers in Ukraine including some of my favourites. I've built a bunch of stuff from Dora and MikroMir.

quote:

Posted Thursday at 03:30 AM (edited)

Several Ukrainian model kits manufacturers are now facing the effects from the Russian military invasion from their country.

Thursday 24th February 2022, a dark day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Messages from the Dora Wings Facebook & homepage

Sources:

https://dorawings.com/ & https://news.dorawings.com/

https://www.facebook.com/dorawingsofficial/posts/3241907109373177

Dora Wings - Dear friends. Sending orders is temporarily suspended. Keep in touch.

Dear friends.

Russia attacked my country.

The country is under martial law.

All shipments have been suspended.

Please be understanding.

Keep in touch.

Message from ClearProp Models

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Clearpropmodels/posts/3264892847126525

Ukraine is our homeland. Every day we work, create jobs and develop Ukrainian products.

We are glad that our customers from all over the world know that we are a Ukrainian company. A company that proudly states that its product is made in independent Ukraine.

We are grateful for every word of support from our buyers from abroad.

Glory to Ukraine!

Message from Reskit

Source: https://www.facebook.com/reskit.official/posts/303270311786756

In these difficult times for Ukraine, we have no right to remain silent. Reskit supports the territorial integrity of Ukraine according to internationally recognized borders.

Now we continue to work and will stay in Kyiv. Your orders are packed and will be shipped on time. We are happy for each of our customers and will continue to produce a world-class product.

If you want to support our state from abroad, you can apply to the charity fund "Come Back Alive".

Their website: https://savelife.in.ua/

Their patron: https://www.patreon.com/savelife_in_ua

Glory to Ukraine!

Message from Foxbot Decals

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2832910047004560&id=1578150815813829

273962389-2832909963671235-6513863728782
Expand

Message from MikroMir

Source: https://www.facebook.com/mikro.mir.dnepr/posts/5096786473732381

Dear friends,

This morning (02/24/2022 at about 5 am) Russia started an undeclared war with Ukraine. Rocket and bomb attacks were carried out on the main cities of Ukraine, including the city of Dnipro, where we are now. To be honest, it's not the most pleasant feeling to wake up from the sound of a rocket flying over the house ... But, we believe in our army and that everything will be fine.

Thanks everyone for the words of support! This is infinitely important for us and helps a lot not to fall into despondency.

We love you all! Once again many thanks!!!

As soon as this madness is over, we will continue to work on new interesting model kits.

Message from Big Planes Kits (BPK)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/BigPlanesKits/posts/3199098520367869

We fully support. Thank you all for your support and orders. For us it is very important.

Dear friends. I apologize to everyone to whom I did not have time to send parcels. I hope I can do it next week. You have all read the news. You all know. We were attacked, this is war. Everyone sees the situation differently. In the morning, I put several boxes of produce in my car. What will happen next we will see. I have 10 737-800 in my car and some 1/144s.

Message from Modelsvit & A&A Models

Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/modelsvit/posts/3179115862357443

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2670451883099430&id=1048501705294464

Dear friends,

As you may already know, Russia started a military invasion of Ukraine 12 hours ago. The war has been started....

In these difficult times for Ukraine, we have no right to remain silent. Modelsvit supports the territorial integrity of Ukraine according to internationally recognized borders.

All of our staff is fine, but production is suspended till further notice.

However, our warehouse in Bulgaria has enough stock for the next few months and deliverties to our business partners shall continue.

Thank you in advance for your support!

And let's hope for peace!!!
Expand

Message from Armory Models Group

Source: https://www.facebook.com/armorymodelsgroup/posts/3830184773872572

Dear friends.

Russia attacked our country.

The country is under martial law.

All shipments have been suspended.

Please be understanding.

Keep in touch.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yeah that kinda puts a damper on building military scale models. Turns out there's such a thing as too much realism :ohdear:

*see "TOS-1 Buratino, location: UA, Ukraine"*

Wednesday: :neckbeard: oh good it's close shipping
Thursday: :gonk:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Since I've got all my paints on the new rack now, I hacked up one of the older tiered racks I was using and made a glue-station with some light modification. Nice 15 minute project.

It’s like a beer flight but with more flavor

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Symetrique posted:

It’s like a beer flight but with more flavor

I call it the "Huffers Delight".

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

NTRabbit posted:

I have an ICM model. Outstanding kit.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

My kid got an AMT Shelby Mustang kit for his birthday and it is the worst kit I have ever seen. It's even worse then the bootleg Russian BTR I tried to make last year. There is so much flash it's like someone tried to fix the mold with a ball peen hammer. We're gonna go with it, because it was a gift, but holy poo poo, this thing is terrible.

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

Yooper posted:

My kid got an AMT Shelby Mustang kit for his birthday and it is the worst kit I have ever seen.

Totally agree. Sounds like the same kit I just finished (I picked it up from Aldi a while back as it was cheap).
Massive amounts of flash, nothing actually fits together. Non rotating front wheels.

Really makes me think I should just stick to Tamiya and Bandai, as they come perfect every time.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I was going to make a joke that AMT was all reboxed '60s and '70s kits, but I checked Scalemates and it actually is just reboxed '60s and '70s kits.

Since 1980 there's been 25 cars and 3 trucks listed as new tool.

Note that that's over 4 decades.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Yooper posted:

My kid got an AMT Shelby Mustang kit for his birthday and it is the worst kit I have ever seen. It's even worse then the bootleg Russian BTR I tried to make last year. There is so much flash it's like someone tried to fix the mold with a ball peen hammer. We're gonna go with it, because it was a gift, but holy poo poo, this thing is terrible.

I built some lovely models as a kid in the early 80s and really enjoyed it. I wasn't experienced enough at the time to know that they were terrible kits. I was just happy to make my favorite cars and planes and was very proud of them despite all the flaws. I think it would be good to hold back your opinions on the kit and let your kid enjoy the build.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jonny Nox posted:

I was going to make a joke that AMT was all reboxed '60s and '70s kits, but I checked Scalemates and it actually is just reboxed '60s and '70s kits.

They've also been reboxing Star Wars and Star Trek kits from the 80s and 90s :colbert:

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I've been slowly working my way through this set of AMT Enterprise kits, which are allegedly snap-together but the only way to get anything to actually fit is to remove all the locator pins and treat them like short-run kits in terms of test-fitting, gluing, filling and clean-up. I can't even imagine that they were any good when the tools were brand new either.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of want to do those, even if the NX-01 looks a smidge overscale.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

They're certainly not unbuildable if you've got a few kits under your belt, and it's nice having them all in a constant scale rather than completely random sizes like most SF kits come in.

WIP:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's originally a very old kit, I have the original version that I got in 1992 or so that just has the Enterprise, -A, and -D, long before the subsequent productions happened and they added the -B, -C, -E, and NX-01

e: I also don't remember any of the three I got being snap fit, but it was a few decades ago

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 4, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

SkunkDuster posted:

I built some lovely models as a kid in the early 80s and really enjoyed it. I wasn't experienced enough at the time to know that they were terrible kits. I was just happy to make my favorite cars and planes and was very proud of them despite all the flaws. I think it would be good to hold back your opinions on the kit and let your kid enjoy the build.

We're enjoying it, just taking our time. I came here to bitch to you guys, the real professionals.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I bought the Enterprise-E way back because it looks cool and it was pretty cheap, I think I was an hour into it when I just threw it in the trash and started on something else.

Made some progress on the M1: After cutting out and sanding several pieces, I discovered that all 3 bottles of cement I had were bone dry. Thankfully, a nearby store has Mr. Cement so I didn't have to do the usual hour round trip for hobby supplies.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

tidal wave emulator posted:

They're certainly not unbuildable if you've got a few kits under your belt, and it's nice having them all in a constant scale rather than completely random sizes like most SF kits come in.

WIP:

Having actually checked it seems the NX-01 is a lot larger a ship than the TV show made it seem. That's a pretty cool set. I may invest in it someday.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Jonny Nox posted:

It's even better than that, they made new box art and decals to go in these old crap kits.

Arquinsiel posted:

Having actually checked it seems the NX-01 is a lot larger a ship than the TV show made it seem. That's a pretty cool set. I may invest in it someday.

I still don't believe the scale is right on the either the NX-01 or the NCC1701 at 1:1000. Google, probably via memory-alpha(currently blocked?), has the beam of NX-01 at half the width of NCC1701D.

At 1:1000 a true scale NX-01 would likely be dinky and disappointing so I get the why of it but like stop that AMT.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Yooper posted:

We're enjoying it, just taking our time. I came here to bitch to you guys, the real professionals.

I helped my daughter build a few of the BearGguy snap together gundam models and she really enjoyed them, so I started a plane model with her. It wasn't a bad model by any means (Tamiya 1:72 P-51 Mustang), but certainly a lot more fiddly than a beargguy and I had to bite my tongue a couple times to keep the experience positive for her. There will be plenty of time later in life for her to learn that scale modeling is all about disappointment and frustration.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DiHK posted:

It's even better than that, they made new box art and decals to go in these old crap kits.

I still don't believe the scale is right on the either the NX-01 or the NCC1701 at 1:1000. Google, probably via memory-alpha(currently blocked?), has the beam of NX-01 at half the width of NCC1701D.

At 1:1000 a true scale NX-01 would likely be dinky and disappointing so I get the why of it but like stop that AMT.
Apparently they're a 1:2500 set, but length-wise the NX-01 is supposedly about a third of the NCC-1701-D. I just didn't realise it was within 50m of Constitution class given the crew complements are like ~80 peeps to ~430.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Ah, the box doesn't have a scale so I figured they were reusing the 1:1000 separate kits I have. My two kits are virtually the same diameter in the saucer.

I just don't think they give a poo poo about the scale in regards to fictional space ships.

I'm at work but I have a finished NX-01 here, tempted to get my scale ruler out.... nah I'm not that bored yet.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
How do y'all go about dusting your models? So many nooks and crannies I can't really get to... and so many antennas and mirrors begging to be knocked off...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Gentle dry blast from the airbrush, mainly. Works great on keyboards and computer components, too.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I follow Luke Towan's method: a very soft brush (a makeup brush) and a vacuum. Use the former to brush the dust towards the latter.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Tamiya makes what looks like a really nice anti static brush but it's like $20

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I dust the ships off with the airbrush. Anything that doesn't get removed that way just becomes part of the model!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

tidal wave emulator posted:

I've been slowly working my way through this set of AMT Enterprise kits, which are allegedly snap-together but the only way to get anything to actually fit is to remove all the locator pins and treat them like short-run kits in terms of test-fitting, gluing, filling and clean-up. I can't even imagine that they were any good when the tools were brand new either.

I built a variety of Star Trek kits from AMT in the 90s and they were pretty rough in terms of gaps and misaligned parts even then.

In terms of dusting my tall ship... I don't. I paid for a large display case to protect the project I had plowed hundreds of hours into and all I have to do is wipe it down with Windex occasionally.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

This rules. If I find I have the spending money some day I should commission one. Gerwalks will always steal the show.