Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
They're rad but also extremely expensive for what they are.

Just before Covid hit and cancelled everything we were going to buy a second vehicle so I'd be able to tote myself when I wanted to leave the city to go do stuff and now we consider that a bullet dodged, with inflation a second vehicle would be a nightmare.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I just planned a road trip to the US so gently caress me for actually trying to be safe and not take a plane :suicide:

Bonus: this is supposed to make up for the honeymoon I was going to take… in April 2020. :suicide: :suicide:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

When my parents passed away, we debated switching the house from electric to gas heat and decided to stick with electric, and my wife traded in her car for a pure EV car last year because gently caress half-measures and we don't really do "long range" driving anyways. Is it wrong to be laughing this hard at how much of a bullet we seemed to have dodged?

Depending on where you live you might have hosed yourself in the long term. We already know that MB hydro can't produce enough electricity to keep up with the potential demand increase from a mass switch away from fossil fuels for heating and transportation. It's probably the same elsewhere.

We're on methadone natural gas for life, probably.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Depending on where you live you might have hosed yourself in the long term. We already know that MB hydro can't produce enough electricity to keep up with the potential demand increase from a mass switch away from fossil fuels for heating and transportation. It's probably the same elsewhere.

We're on methadone natural gas for life, probably.

Maybe, but like I said, the house was already electric heat, so the only real change we made was switching to an electric car. Considering the lead times on getting an electric vehicle if you aren't absurdly lucky, I don't think there'll be mass-migrations to EVa for a few years yet.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

They better drop the peak/off peak rates in Ontario unless they think the power infrastructure can handle hundreds of thousands of EVs all drawing 30amps at the same moment at 7pm every day

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's going to take a really long time for EV adoption to reach critical levels here but the electric heat might start to become unaffordable sooner than that, especially if MB hydro faces the same fate as Ontario, which it probably will if the conservatives are given enough time to privatize.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If the Ford Maverick is as good as advertised I might pick up a used one of those. 25k hybrid that's better at being a civic than my current honda.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Wow Hillier says he's not running for re-election. Good riddance lol.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

They better drop the peak/off peak rates in Ontario unless they think the power infrastructure can handle hundreds of thousands of EVs all drawing 30amps at the same moment at 7pm every day

Wasn't there something like the Ontario rates are very high (and thus subsidized) because the government promised the producers a minimum payout and there isn't enough electricity usage to reach that minimum payout level at a lower rate? So kwh rate would actually get lower if more people started using power? I dunno, sounds weird now that I'm writing it down, but I heard something like this.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Less Fat Luke posted:

He said he's not running "to show people what freedom looks like".

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Ontario and Quebec are both pursuing energy storage. Ontario is doing bids for private projects and Quebec hydro started their own company. But it will probably be awhile before that has an impact on peak/off peak prices. Most projects now are more about emergency backup and system stability

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Mr. Apollo posted:

He said he's not running "to show people what freedom looks like".

I feel freer already.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Christine Elliott isn’t running either.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6372223

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Less Fat Luke posted:

is he giving the ol' self cancel and make a substack a try?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Mr. Apollo posted:

What are 'things high profile politicians do when their party is 100% being re-elected in 3 months' for $400, Alex?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

What are 'things high profile politicians do when their party is 100% being re-elected in 3 months' for $400, Alex?

Do you think they have some internal polling that shows them getting slaughtered or something? AFAIK right now nothing that's come out publicly shows any competition for the PCPO.

Del Duca is basically a non-entity and if people are voting OLP, it's the people who vote on brand alone. Andrea Horwath remains Andrea Horwath, and that seems unlikely to change in the next three months.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Mr. Apollo posted:

She and Rod Philips both, though I guess he has the added stink of that whole tropical vacation thing.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Not "her" party, though. It's Doug's, thanks to arcane PCPO rules. And despite blundering on every point, Doug is not facing any internal pressure to go.

The last part makes sense, in that they're going to win the next election. In Ontario the opposition parties seem to be terrible at elections, so even unpopular governments can stay multiple terms.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Thinking out loud, but getting rid of both Hillier and Elliott makes sense if the PCPO sees them as electoral vulnerabilities to one or another group they think they need to win. You get rid of the health minister if you don't want to be burdened with the "mandates" minister and so lose voters to the PPC, and you get rid of the screaming crazy guy if you don't want to lose the suburban OLP-PCPO swing voters.

Though Hillier was already kicked out of the party, wasn't he?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
A while ago, he's been sitting as an independent since.

If anything, he's not running because he can't afford to on his own dime.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Juul-Whip posted:

Automobiles will continue to get larger and more lethal to those not inside them, there just will be fewer of them made and they’ll be more expensive and reserved for an ever shrinking class of people

Yeah this is absolutely what reality will end up being in another gas crisis. Nothing will change fundamentally and the plebs will just have to further immiserate themselves in the service of car culture. Hell, it's basically what's already happening.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
mmm combat flavoured vaping

quote:

Canadians have not taken the threat of nuclear war seriously for 30 years.

Canada was not prepared for the pandemic despite our experience with SARS in 2003.

Officials told us they were prepared.

Then we learned those same officials were bulldozing personal protective equipment into landfills, and redeploying resources from the pandemic surveillance network to combat flavoured vaping.

How long before the Liberals try to claim the risk to Canada is low?

What we need to do is get serious about the threat. Governments need to plan, and calmly communicate those plans to Canadians.

Canadian families should discuss what they will do in the event of any emergency. If you want to learn more about creating an emergency plan for your family visit ready.gov/plan. It is an official U.S. government website.

Sadly, we could not find a similar site for the Government of Canada.

It's another example of how unprepared Trudeau's government is to handle a real emergency.

Sincerely,

Cheryl Gallant, M.P.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

infernal machines posted:

A while ago, he's been sitting as an independent since.

If anything, he's not running because he can't afford to on his own dime.

I guess, with the way politics works, someone could've still dropped Hillier a line saying it would be worth his time to simmer down.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It tastes like...victory.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I assume he'll start a new grift or end up on a federal PPC ticket somewhere down the line.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Postess with the Mostest posted:

shes not wrong

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
The convoy documented their premeditated lawbreaking, as Stringer Bell warned against.

https://pressprogress.ca/convoy-leaders-emails-reveal-planning-document-that-outlines-early-plans-to-illegally-occupy-ottawa/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So you can just e-mail your mycrimes.txt to the Ottawa Police and they'll tell you where you can commit them unimpeded?

Pretty convenient.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Protests do often work with police to plan routes and get road closures but they're typically only meant to last a few hours at most, not three whole weeks.

I still think there were plenty of guys within the police force who were sympathetic to the convoyers and I also suspect there was an element of making Sloly look bad involved in the local response as well. I don't expect the "review" will find any of that, though. It'll probably just say, "We took them at their word that they'd only stay for a few days and we got bamboozled! Oops! shrugging emoji"

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I hole every cop who supported or helped the protest is making GBS threads themselves about the investigation that will come. If you genuinely believed the protests would over throw the government you should not be a cop

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Just a reminder that the sum total outcome of the G20 inquiries over the unlawful detention of more than a thousand people was some lost paid vacation time, which was restored on appeal

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Just a reminder that the sum total outcome of the G20 inquiries over the unlawful detention of more than a thousand people was some lost paid vacation time, which was restored on appeal

Suuure but in that case they actually accomplished what they were put in place to do by the powers that be

Here they specifically did not do that

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I hole every cop who supported or helped the protest is making GBS threads themselves about the investigation that will come. If you genuinely believed the protests would over throw the government you should not be a cop

The cops will, as always, take a good hard look at themselves and decide that their conduct was flawless, no further questions

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

There was actual compensation paid to mistreated g20 protesters via a class-action lawsuit, it only took about 10 years to happen and came from the general city budget so the payout had no actual effect on the police department.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Entropic posted:

There was actual compensation paid to mistreated g20 protesters via a class-action lawsuit, it only took about 10 years to happen and came from the general city budget so the payout had no actual effect on the police department.

How much did they get? I totally missed that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

sleep with the vicious posted:

How much did they get? I totally missed that.

$5000-$16000 depending on the class.

https://www.g-20classactionsettlement.ca/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's good that civil suit was won and at least some compensation was made, but as noted, it was a civil suit and the compensation wasn't paid by any of the involved police services.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, maybe if police brutality settlements came out of police pension funds or something, there'd be actual monetary incentive to not beat the poo poo out of people for no reason. Or at the very least out of the operating budget. Sorry, no new tanks and less OT this year because officer friendly couldn't keep his baton in his holster.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

MNIMWA posted:

HELL YEAH

Give me a hybrid yute/camaro thing that gets insane mileage and can move a couch

The new Ford Maverick is exactly what you are looking for. Unfortunately, so is everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012