Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

etalian posted:

For the next Sleepy Joe success story was reading on WTOP on how part of COV19 plan, more federal workers are going to
be expected to return back to the office in April.

Wow part of dealing with a pandemic means crowding people back into offices for $$$ reasons even though the last two years proved WFH
is just a efficient as being in a dull cube farm.

Yeah they're going to yank back all the feds as an example to the rest of the country. Couldn't happen to nicer ghouls, but it doesn't bode well for other computer touchers in the area if they're trying to reset the norm for the sake of commercial leaseholders downtown.

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Also no. Waiting on 30 9211s and 240 9210s.
No update yet. Was told to expect shipment/delivery last week. Suppose I'll make some calls tomorrow.

I got a box of 9211s shipped from Zoro.com in literally one day. Highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s also apples to oranges

the real comparison would be like what if you got covid twice a day every work day for an entire year. that would be a good comparison to “person driving for a year” or whatever

it’s insanely dangerous compared to other every day activities lol

oh well

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tulip posted:

lol those are all dangerous activities that are worth avoiding

this makes the analogy to "going maskless" and "not wearing a seatbelt" even more salient lol

I said this in July of 2020:

quote:

SARS‐2 presents as many micromorts as four hundred SCUBA dives.

I could dine out every night for the next year and take my chances with SARS‐2, or I could go SCUBA diving every day.

e: To be clear, this is assuming 0.2% IFR. At 1%, I could dive for the next five and a half years.

Diving would be a lot more fun, and I suspect that once experience is factored in, the string of dives actually presents substantially less risk than the string of meals. I would certainly be in much better athletic condition.

Decompression illness can cause permanent and nonfatal injury, but I would easily choose that slate of complications over the coronavirus’.

My risk of death to COVID is substantially lower now. On the other hand, what we’ve learned about long COVID and the durability of infection‐acquired immunity is not good.

CDC spin: SCUBA is mild. You don’t need a dive buddy, you don’t need an air reserve, you don’t need safety stops, you don’t need a flag on a buoy, you don’t need a quick‐release weight belt, you don’t need to be current in experience. Just go out there and have fun.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Platystemon posted:

My risk of death to COVID is substantially lower now. On the other hand, what we’ve learned about long COVID and the durability of infection‐acquired immunity is not good.

Long covid may be a fate worse than death if you can't taste anything.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

i am harry posted:

Long covid may be a fate worse than death if you can't taste anything.

It certainly is if you get parosmia and everything tastes like trash.

Edit: Imagine unlimited mozzarella sticks tasted like trash, or unlimited riblets or even unlimited boneless wings.

Pingui fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 4, 2022

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Mother fucker just got an email that a staff member in the room adjacent to the one my kid is in tested positive for COVID this morning. Was at work yesterday and developed symptoms overnight. there's a door between the rooms and I know that the staff in that room and the room my kid is in will sometimes move between rooms to help cover each other during breaks and regularly interact. They somewhat reliably wear surgical masks so that's all I got. She's already been there for two hours this morning so that's really cool and awesome.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Imagine printing this chart with a straight face.

Coincidentally, the chance of a woman dying during childbirth is drastically higher in the United States than in other developed economies and makes some developing countries blush.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pingui posted:

:hmmyes: Just like Jason in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter.

Technically it would have been the final chapter if Tommy Jarvis hadn't gotten drunk and dug Jason back up in part 6

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

https://slickdeals.net/f/15648646-10-pack-black-powecom-kn95-respirator-face-mask-11-90-free-shipping#commentsBox

all the comments from people continuing to wear masks getting downvote bombed lol

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
If I gave my parents covid, it would only be as risky as sending them to war for a year. Very reasonable. Clearly I need to get sucking and loving.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Got a sore throat and a headache. Normally I'd go "I probably just slept with my mouth open and need to eat something," but nowadays lol.

Apr 7, 2003

A child's odds of dying from covid-19 are only as high as his mother dying in childbirth, which is insanely loving deadly here lmaooo

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Tulip posted:

Got a sore throat and a headache. Normally I'd go "I probably just slept with my mouth open and need to eat something," but nowadays lol.

:same:

Apr 7, 2003

your toddler's odds of dying from covid-19 are only as high as your odds of dying during childbirth, and also we don't give a gently caress and are incredibly indifferent to both of you

Apr 7, 2003

If you do any public health poo poo whatsoever you know that America's tremendous rate of maternal death is a huge huge huge problem and some jackass printing a chart saying "don't worry, your kid's chance of dying is only as bad as <insanely deadly thing>" has already broken my brain for the day.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dren posted:

You already have excel, take a PowerBI tutorial. Pulling the data can probably be automated. All of the data grooming tasks can be automated. Generation of the maps can be automated.

i recommend against auto generated maps. ive seen more garbage spit out by well meaning programmers than not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If you do any public health poo poo whatsoever you know that America's tremendous rate of maternal death is a huge huge huge problem and some jackass printing a chart saying "don't worry, your kid's chance of dying is only as bad as <insanely deadly thing>" has already broken my brain for the day.

Everyone gives birth two or three times per year, right?

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

the real takeaway here is that being a troop is slightly less dangerous than being a baby

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thoguh posted:

Mother fucker just got an email that a staff member in the room adjacent to the one my kid is in tested positive for COVID this morning. Was at work yesterday and developed symptoms overnight. there's a door between the rooms and I know that the staff in that room and the room my kid is in will sometimes move between rooms to help cover each other during breaks and regularly interact. They somewhat reliably wear surgical masks so that's all I got. She's already been there for two hours this morning so that's really cool and awesome.

Honestly, raise hell about it. I'm guessing from the way you're describing this that you're talking about a daycare/preschool situation and not regular school, but the only pushback administrators are receiving right now is from the parents who still care. Anti-mask idiots aren't the majority, but they're loud as hell compared to everyone else. The only thing keeping schools, daycares, etc. from giving up completely is the parents that still get angry over exposures.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Chad Sexington posted:

I got a box of 9211s shipped from Zoro.com in literally one day. Highly recommend.

I'll echo the zoro.com recommendation. I bought my secureclick from them, and I have new hardshell filters arriving today. I got the secureclick in 2 days and my filters arrived in 3. Very good turnaround.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Don't have time for maps today, but upward trend continues.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pingui posted:

It certainly is if you get parosmia and everything tastes like trash.

Edit: Imagine unlimited mozzarella sticks tasted like trash, or unlimited riblets or even unlimited boneless wings.

loving riblets are the grossest thing in the world.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Paradoxish posted:

I'm at the point where I'm not going to berate anyone for giving up, because there's absolutely zero help coming and you need a really strong personal support structure and job situation to avoid doing damage to yourself personally or financially. This breakdown was inevitable as more people caught COVID because now all the survivors are saying "see, it's no big deal, I'm going to go do whatever I want." Meanwhile, the dead can't talk and no one is standing up for long COVID sufferers.

It's worth remembering that tons of us in this thread know people who have lost close family members, and those same people are still out doing whatever and treating COVID like it's nothing. People going full tilt Open Biden doesn't mean that they're all unaffected or that COVID isn't a big deal.
I've been "over it" since just after Christmas. That was when my state stopped doing testing in schools and contact tracing. When I bitched about it (I have a six year old), I got an "actually that's a good idea..." response from my sister who is a ....teacher.

I can read the room; nobody gives a poo poo. I mean, most really never did, but those figurative masks of compliance have been coming off since around mid-January around here. I still see around 50% wearing them in grocery stores, but going to Costco a few weeks ago was simultaneously a mind blower and an "of course" with maybe 25% of us wearing them.

Everyone is convinced they've done "the right thing", "did what they were told" and now they're being told "it's over". I've got nothing to fight that that doesn't make me sound like a conspiracy nut.

Also, I'm tired of fighting. My feeling isn't "gently caress 'em all", it's "I just don't have the strength to care about any of you anymore. I don't pray for you to get infected, I just don't give a poo poo if you do."

I'm not letting up on my personal habits and behaviors, but I can see there's a long road ahead for me, starting with my family. My wife is convinced that since our son tested positive last month (she and I did not), he's immune and so we're good to go back to restaurants and indoor activities like that. I continue be pleasantly surprised when I picked my kid up from school that he's still wearing his mask, but yesterday as we walked to the car, he took his off and said "Daddy, we're outside now; you can take your mask off!"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

Honestly, raise hell about it. I'm guessing from the way you're describing this that you're talking about a daycare/preschool situation and not regular school, but the only pushback administrators are receiving right now is from the parents who still care. Anti-mask idiots aren't the majority, but they're loud as hell compared to everyone else. The only thing keeping schools, daycares, etc. from giving up completely is the parents that still get angry over exposures.

I've already contacted them about continueing to keep up masks and they do some level of contact tracing so other than picking my kid up early today, which I am doing, there isn't much that can be done short of being able to completely pull her out, which isn't viable.

Apr 7, 2003

Cheesus posted:

I've been "over it" since just after Christmas.

It's been over here in Pennsylvania since Thanksgiving 2020. There have been no real restrictions since then beyond masking in schools which isn't a restriction, and no one's given a gently caress.

The county I live in is the best served in the entire state as far as hospitals go and that's probably the only reason we aren't getting run over.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pingui posted:

Theory for lack of fomite transmission:

Hmmm... So if we snorted cow snot daily, that would confer great protection against SARS-CoV-2?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“We here in America believe in personal choice.”

“It is time to live with the virus, by which we mean we’re going to make it functionally impossible for working families to avoid multiple infections per year.”

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

All the coral is dying anyway. Diving is very depressing now. Much like participating in society thanks to covid so the analogy holds.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

tag yrself im "or medium"

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

im gonna start drunk driving. i believe in personal choice.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
lmao and work is going masks optional today too, big day from teh perspective of my exposure to COVID.

Apr 7, 2003

ram dass in hell posted:

im gonna start drunk driving. i believe in personal choice.

Someone in this forum did the numbers and found that bringing your kid to a restaurant is as dangerous as putting them in your car and driving 35 miles shitfaced lol

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Someone in this forum did the numbers and found that bringing your kid to a restaurant is as dangerous as putting them in your car and driving 35 miles shitfaced lol

and people will call you names and give you abuse if you don't want to go to tgi fridays and murder your child lol lmao

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Yeah I work in a related field and this is uhhhh not reassuring to say the loving least.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Can't believe I caught poo poo for dumping on this idiot last month

Apr 7, 2003

Pittsburgh Public Schools is still keeping masking mandatory and every single broadcast media outlet in the county is making GBS threads on them hard to make them stop. Cool

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm starting to think the CDC was right...

...about people not being able to wear N95s correctly. A co-worker recently upgraded from a cloth mask to an N95 but they only use the top head strap while the bottom strap is left to dangle loose. I think they're doing that because the head straps make it hard for them to take their mask off throughout the day.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

A child's odds of dying from covid-19 are only as high as his mother dying in childbirth, which is insanely loving deadly here lmaooo

reminder that the worst part of american maternal death rate is black women have 43/100k, mostly because of white supremacists lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

McCracAttack posted:

I'm starting to think the CDC was right...

...about people not being able to wear N95s correctly. A co-worker recently upgraded from a cloth mask to an N95 but they only use the top head strap while the bottom strap is left to dangle loose. I think they're doing that because the head straps make it hard for them to take their mask off throughout the day.