Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Given that Gainax was doing some mutual congratulatory handshakes with the Next Generation team I would not at all be shocked if Anno was up to date on DS9. Now the interesting question is if it was being aired in Japan with dubs or something or if he had to get fansubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

翻訳者注:「plan」は「計画」を意味します。

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The dreamy non-linear Prophet Wormhole Aliens talking-to-Sisko is definitely a tang-instrumentality vibe.

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

hmmmm. in ds9, the changeling's great link is literally instrumentality

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Pk yeah but that one's like jelly not tang so :smuggo:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/222pancake/status/1495873198575042567

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wonder if I'd like End of Evangelion more with the Netflix dub. They did redub the anime right so I figure they redid EOE and, ya know, didn't add ridiculous SFX that ruined everything.

Then again, maybe there's some sort of fanedit out there of EOE with the original dub sans SFX. I've seen such projects for DBZ and its myriad incarnations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

quote:

In 2021, Amazon Studios acquired the streaming rights to all of the Rebuild of Evangelion films. The 2.22 version of the film became available on the streaming service on August 13, 2021.[51][52] It featured full re-dubbings of all Rebuild films, including several voice actors from the A.D. Vision and Manga Entertainment localizations of the original series and films, in place of the mostly new cast used in the Funimation adaptations of the Rebuild series and Netflix's adaptation of the series. Like Netflix's release, it also included a full re-translation by Khara's in-house translator, Dan Kanemitsu.[53]

I know I'm super late to the party, and somebody already told me they got Winn-Lee back for I think the last movie, but I didn't know anything about this. I watched Rebuild 1 and 2 back in 2013 or 2014, whenever I watched the original anime and read the manga, and while I didn't mind the new voices at all, I think this is a pretty nice gesture to the fandom and the VAs themselves.

Also as much as I like Winn-Lee (she's probably a big part of why Rei is my favorite character), I recognize Eva Rei and Rebuild Rei are very different. That was evident even in the first couple movies to me. So a new voice kinda fit the new Rei, if that makes sense. But whatever.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Feliz Jueves.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Did that one poster ever finish work on his Eva 2 bike?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 is still working on it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I bought my Eva DVDs for $150 back in 2013 and later sold them because I was desperate for money.. But hey, maybe some lucky SOB found them at that bookstore and was very happy.

Anyway, thinking of trying to piece together a collection again and found out Tiffany Grant has her own ebay store
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294750702985?hash=item44a082cd89:g:degAAOSwu2hh6eFM

I know VAs sign stuff at cons but never heard of one having their own store. I guess it makes sense but hope she's doing okay and this isn't because she really needs money. I'll probably buy this.

EDIT
https://forum.evageeks.org/post/491550/Why-does-NGE-have-so-many-references-to-the-Bible/#491550

quote:

—You previously said you have an interest in psychology, but in Eva things like Kierkegaard’s The Sickness Unto Death are cited as well…

Anno: I didn’t read it.

—Eh‽

Anno: I just quoted it.

—I thought you must have liked it.

Anno: In no time at all I lost my interest [in it]. I didn’t understand it. I made guesses based on skim-reading, and so on. And, I would seem intelligent if I remembered a phrase [from it]. (laughs)

This is like the quote of "I just threw in the Christian symbolism 'cuz it's cool" but then the fans were like "it is too precise and meaningful to be random" and I'm left scratching my head about what exactly he was thinking when he did anything.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 4, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Some day Anno's gonna drop that he's never watched Ultraman or seen Godzilla and he just goes by what he thinks they would have been like.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Schwarzwald posted:

Some day Anno's gonna drop that he's never watched Ultraman or seen Godzilla and he just goes by what he thinks they would have been like.
David Lynch never read Dune, I'm told.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Oddly enough, both of those projects wound up being episodes of Kare Kano.

Shin Godzilla was inspired by what Anno had heard about some kind of Bat guy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"Anno-san, do you feel with your Rebuild movies you've finally told the definitive story of Evangelion?"

"I can't really say for certain. All I've seen of the original were some youtube highlight videos."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1505549449531170827

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

EDIT
https://forum.evageeks.org/post/491550/Why-does-NGE-have-so-many-references-to-the-Bible/#491550

This is like the quote of "I just threw in the Christian symbolism 'cuz it's cool" but then the fans were like "it is too precise and meaningful to be random" and I'm left scratching my head about what exactly he was thinking when he did anything.

Real or not that’s such a funny thing to say. It’s just so awesome

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eva-themed keycaps if you're a keeb weeb:

https://drop.com/buy/drop-full-metal-gmk-mecha-01-r2

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i keep laughing at this

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1511977734133596160

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kaji is basically the Evangelion-verse's version of Brock Sampson to Gendo's Rusty Venture anyway.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
What are the EVA units if not ambulatory Joy Cans after all?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

What are the EVA units if not ambulatory Joy Cans after all?

I'm pretty sure "joy" is low on the list of emotions Shinji experiences while piloting.

(They're also powered by the souls of forsaken adults. Much more ethical.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifRBljYeDnU

Long video but really good at talking about what went into the making of Eva and an in-depth exploration of its themes and impact on the entire anime industry. Bennett said his follow up look at the Rebuild films will be out sometime in July. I really liked this one, a neat evolution of his views from his original Eva videos from almost ten years ago.

I've had this video and Eva in general stuck on repeat in my head for the last few days. It's complicated but I always feel a sort of intangible sadness when I look at the show and everything around it. I can say I like it, but I still have reservations. It's like a microcosm of the anime industry as a whole with all the good and bad that entails so I think it's impossible for me to fully like Eva. I can't fully explain why beyond some of the obvious things like Khara meddling with the dubbing process and losing some of the charm as a result or the more blatant and rampant monetization of the franchise. It's stuff that's easy to avoid but I can't keep it out of my mind and it does temper my enjoyment. The Netflix dubs also severely bum me out and making the ADV dubs harder to find sucks. It's getting to Star Wars special edition levels of silliness where there's no ideal way to watch the show and movies with the dub you want. Watch EOE with bad sound effects, watch it with crisp HD and a boring dub. Watch old ADV dubs of Rebuild with Win Lee's adaptation and go digging for impossible to find releases or watch Rebuild with new ADV dubs on streaming but with Khara scripts sucking out Lee's quirks.

If I could try to explain the sadness the best I can come up with is that I'm sad that Eva does a lot of stuff so well but it feels like it has never been able to fully embrace what it wants to be, and can only be what it is. It wouldn't be Eva without all the insane stuff going on during production and it probably wouldn't be recognizable if everything did go to plan. It feels 85% of the way to being what it wants.

Edit: Now I've got Komm, Susser Tod stuck on repeat in my head and it's like a trauma trigger. Good song but gah, that's not stuff I like getting dredged up.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 9, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watched EOE again. Still hosed, still hurts, still got that goddamn song in my head and I can't stop seeing everything as a metaphor for Anno's psyche. Stories about mental trauma and identity and the struggles that come with them get stuck on a loop in my head and the only way to get them out is to confront them even if its uncomfortable. Same thing happens with DDLC, same thing happens with anything that hits those buttons and makes me afraid inside. It's stupid that I get triggered by this kind of media but it is what it is. Third Impact is a mindfuck visually but the dialogue is so goddamn raw and the stream of consciousness rant where Shinji experiences simultaneous relationship/rejection/arguments Asuka, Rei and MIsato is like hearing the same kind of intrusive thoughts that gently caress me over in reality. I don't like it, but I can't tune it out.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 11, 2022

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
^
Ever hear that saying, "Minecraft music feels like knowing you can't go home because it no longer exists"
Evangelion gives me the same vibes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ak Gara posted:

^
Ever hear that saying, "Minecraft music feels like knowing you can't go home because it no longer exists"
Evangelion gives me the same vibes

I haven't heard that one but it does seem to get at part of the vibe. It's part of a jumbled mess of conflicting ideas and emotions that can only be half explained with words

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifRBljYeDnU

Long video but really good at talking about what went into the making of Eva and an in-depth exploration of its themes and impact on the entire anime industry. Bennett said his follow up look at the Rebuild films will be out sometime in July. I really liked this one, a neat evolution of his views from his original Eva videos from almost ten years ago.

Heads up, but this essay has come under some controversy, which this tweet chain gets into:

https://twitter.com/pauseandselect/status/1534411609518522368

tl;dr: Bennett misrepresents and/or fails to source many of his quotes, which calls into question much of his analysis.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 13, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who is this Shaybs person he refers to early in the thread? I don't dip into anitubers very much for several reasons so I'm not aware of the community at large.

Either way I looked into things on the other side of Twitter and of course there's two sides forming on this, saying the quote was actually from an article and not misrepresented, so now i don't know.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 13, 2022

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Who is this Shaybs person he refers to early in the thread? I don't dip into anitubers very much for several reasons so I'm not aware of the community at large.

Either way I looked into things on the other side of Twitter and of course there's two sides forming on this, saying the quote was actually from an article and not misrepresented, so now i don't know.

I like Shaybs. He was pretty down on the video you linked (haven't seen it myself).

Anyways, here he is giving his thoughts: https://youtu.be/VaykLuIMcck

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

duckdealer posted:

I like Shaybs. He was pretty down on the video you linked (haven't seen it myself).

Anyways, here he is giving his thoughts: https://youtu.be/VaykLuIMcck

Going by that video's comments, people are still intent on giving Bennett poo poo for videos he made ten years ago or saying he's not doing his proper work if he doesn't watch everything three times over in different languages. I dont judge youtubers by their comments section but I am noticing a number of people gravitating here to voice their ire at Bennett and it just seems weird. Do you dismiss an entire video out of hand based off a response video or basing your assessment off the first few minutes? Or is this another case of no true Scotsman-ing things because someone has the wrong opinion.

Edit:
Yeah... this video might be an irritating watch for me.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 13, 2022

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Going by that video's comments, people are still intent on giving Bennett poo poo for videos he made ten years ago or saying he's not doing his proper work if he doesn't watch everything three times over in different languages. I dont judge youtubers by their comments section but I am noticing a number of people gravitating here to voice their ire at Bennett and it just seems weird. Do you dismiss an entire video out of hand based off a response video or basing your assessment off the first few minutes? Or is this another case of no true Scotsman-ing things because someone has the wrong opinion.

Not sure if you are asking me or just asking generally but I have no opinion on the video. As I said I haven't seen it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

duckdealer posted:

Not sure if you are asking me or just asking generally but I have no opinion on the video. As I said I haven't seen it.

Speaking in general. I dont know much at all about this Shaybs guy but I am getting some vibes off of his video and off of the comments section.

Edit: gently caress me I know twitter is a shithole but I'm now reading a whole slew of "you're watching and critiquing things wrong" arguments on this whole video "controversy" and I feel like I've wasted my time.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 13, 2022

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I see that a 90-minute "Part One" amateur criticism video, and a 60-minute criticism of amateur criticism video, exist. I have a hard time believing those are worth their runtimes. The perfect long video about Evangelion already exists, and it's the Tim Lyu/CR "All 37 Evangelion Timelines Explained" video.

It's fine to think Eva and Hideaki Anno are problematic for various reasons. I guess it's even fine to produce outrageously long and occasionally inaccurate/poorly sourced videos about those opinions. However, we don't need to see reposts of content from the rage farm created by YouTube's engagement algorithm.

We do need better digital preservation efforts for dumb internet arguments from 15+ years ago to help recognize their circular nature. We're almost back around to "RahXephon isn't based on Evangelion" territory.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I got to say critiquing a video on what you think it might be is impressively lazy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anitubers were a mistake?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I had been waiting to watch all the rebuilds til the fourth was released (which took much, much longer than expected) and finally finished up the fourth part today. I really, really loved the movies, much more than I expected to. The whole village portion of part 4 was incredibly good and well done, and the ending was satisfying to me. Glad they made them and I will not be watching any anitubers on it as I'm happy with the series and finally done with it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are the funimation rebuild blu rays still available for purchase or would I have to buy used to get their version? I tried to watch the ones available on Prime and it felt like Tiffany Grant was on Xanax.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Are the funimation rebuild blu rays still available for purchase or would I have to buy used to get their version? I tried to watch the ones available on Prime and it felt like Tiffany Grant was on Xanax.

There are some new original stock of 2 and 3 available in retail channels but I'm pretty sure the first one is impossible to find on disc in the US now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

There are some new original stock of 2 and 3 available in retail channels but I'm pretty sure the first one is impossible to find on disc in the US now.

Well poo poo. Tracking down that one is gonna be a pain in the rear end. It was nice hearing Win-Lee back on Prime but I liked the Funi versions better last time I heard them. Brina Palencia was a bit less whispery than Lee but the script was more fun and she's a good VA.

I see that GKIDs has the ADV version of the show and EOE available on a special edition release, which is nice but expensive. At least it's available, but I may have to get creative on purchasing the Rebuilds and tracking down 1.11.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 16, 2022