Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

they still haven't been able to actually literally hide bodies.

only trust all-death mortality rates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’m picking my wife up from the office and moving at like 3 miles an hour because traffic is worse than before the pandemic. Lol where the gently caress is everyone going

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I’m picking my wife up from the office and moving at like 3 miles an hour because traffic is worse than before the pandemic. Lol where the gently caress is everyone going

the office

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Applebee's!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I really feel like the fifth or sixth seal of Open Biden has finally been cracked open

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

WFH is canceled, now back to spending the rest of your life in traffic

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's Friday, where do you think?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
In Vermont:
https://vtdigger.org/2022/03/03/vermont-drops-indoor-school-masking-guidance-in-2-weeks/

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!

Iron Crowned posted:

You can do what I do and go at 7am tomorrow morning when no one is around because they're too hungover from last night's mask burning party

Grocery shopping at 6:00 am on a Sunday is my new normal, I hate it

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It's been few days since the SOTU. Has anyone said that they were going to take a short break (for absolutely no reason at all)?

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!
Austin just announced it is now in Stage 2. 2 days ago it was moved down to Stage 3

It's insane how much america is kicking covids rear end

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!

NeonPunk posted:

It's been few days since the SOTU. Has anyone said that they were going to take a short break (for absolutely no reason at all)?

They have access to monoclonal antibodies that you and I do not, so probably not

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

tenderjerk posted:

They have access to monoclonal antibodies that you and I do not, so probably not

They might as well throw them at the virus for all the good they'll do.

we may not get hit "hard" by BA.2, if only because we had a decent BA.1 wave, but there will be a new variant at some point this year and there's nothing keeping it from becoming more lethal, as always

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

somebody slap a 6-month top-hat smoother on that death function, watch it step up year by year

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

NeonPunk posted:

Did anyone go get him btw?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Oldest Man posted:

:rubby:

Listen you stupid cave doomer there's no precedent for viral infections that repeatedly flare up over years and deal long term health impacts or become infectious and you're a loving idiot for asking if that's possible with a brand new novel virus that has only existed for two and a half years.

Could this be like Herpes? No, shut the gently caress up.
Could this be like Shingles? No, shut the gently caress up.
Could this be like MS? No, shut the gently caress up.

could this be like HIV?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

mdemone posted:

They might as well throw them at the virus for all the good they'll do.

we may not get hit "hard" by BA.2, if only because we had a decent BA.1 wave, but there will be a new variant at some point this year and there's nothing keeping it from becoming more lethal, as always
I just checked (https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#variant-proportions) and it looks like BA.2’s share of cases kept doubling throughout February. As of the end of the month it was about 8-9% of cases in the US.

Given that we are going full Open Biden, and given that we are 2+ months out from so many folks getting BA.1, I guess we’ll get an answer sooner rather than later about how this will impact overall caseload.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mass transit is dead and traffic is worse in major cities due to it. look at nycs toll data vs train ridership

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Mother fucker now the daycare is dropping masking because they are following CDC guidance and the CDC says COVID is over

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Thoguh posted:

Mother fucker now the daycare is dropping masking because they are following CDC guidance and the CDC says COVID is over
:ughh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thoguh posted:

I got a work email how masks are no longer mandatory.

this is in Florida plaguelands in which the community transmission would be high in the previous system.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
LA County formally lifts mask mandate whether you’re vaxxed or not

https://twitter.com/cbsla/status/1499754871280472069?s=21

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Last I checked (pre-pandemic numbers) you have a 1-in-77 chance of dying in your car over a lifetime of driving so maybe that's a bad thing to compare to

jesus that's a grim number

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I might have mentioned it but our son's preschool has done the same. I comfort myself with the fact that most of them wore cloth masks that probably weren't that effective. It sucks. Unfortunately I get the feeling that masks will be back soon.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

sonatinas posted:

well I guess I should try this 1.5 yrs of heroin use out and see what happens

why do you need to try it out, we all know about it already. it's a very relatable statistic

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
My university is setting the mask policy as you only have to wear a mask while in class during a scheduled class.

Otherwise have fun.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Greg Legg posted:

Unfortunately I get the feeling that masks will be back soon.
It’s real hard to get into the High category now, which is when masks become recommended.

The more I think about it, the less I like the continued doubling of BA.2 vis-a-vis waning immunity from the BA.1 wave and the countrywide mask burning party.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mask usage vs. death rate from all causes

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Greg Legg posted:

I honestly and truly believe they're never coming back. The country, our state, municipality will never again in our lifetimes mandate mask usage.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Greg Legg posted:

I might have mentioned it but our son's preschool has done the same. I comfort myself with the fact that most of them wore cloth masks that probably weren't that effective. It sucks. Unfortunately I get the feeling that masks will be back soon.

I partially agree because am not overly concerned with the staff, who are there 8 hours a day and are gonna expose kids regardless if they are sick just due to the amount of time, than I am for all the parents coming in and out that are only there for a few minutes. For the parents a mask, even a half assed one, helps.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!

Greg Legg posted:

We're not putting that genie back in the bottle

its over

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

It’s real hard to get into the High category now, which is when masks become recommended.

The more I think about it, the less I like the continued doubling of BA.2 vis-a-vis waning immunity from the BA.1 wave and the countrywide mask burning party.

Oh crap I hadn't thought of that!

edit: poo poo I think you folks are right

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

could this be like HIV?

Fairly sure the original linked tweet was suggesting SARs-COV-2 virions might "only" be hiding in certain tissues the immune system has difficulty accessing. HIV is a retrovirus that actually copies its genetic material into the infected cell's DNA, which is why it is so difficult to clear that it's effectively a permanent infection. But if the virus isn't getting cleared it's not getting cleared. Don't know if this is truly happening with the coronavirus, or how common it would be.

Thoguh posted:

Ugh sorry.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

my daughter is the only person left wearing a mask at her preschool and is starting to get teased over it. this country sucks.

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Nothus posted:

WFH is canceled, now back to spending the rest of your life in traffic

le no

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mask usage is a lagging indicator of mortality rate. we can expect to see masks become more popular this summer, after a couple dozen more kilodeaths in each state

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
June 13, 2020

Since businesses re-opened and major protests happened at the same time, a huge new wave of infections has taken place. The first wave never even ended. Now people are tired of wearing masks. Hospitals are in trouble again. The official death toll in America is around 120,000 but because they're clearly trying to hide the real number by saying most of the victims died simply of pneumonia, the reality is certainly much worse. But because people want to move on, the media isn't talking about this.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lord of Pie posted:

They don't

The funny thing was that the lease on the place came up during the first summer of covid and they bought into the covid is over hype and re-upped the lease for 10 more years and no one has been in there since
lol owned

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Animal-Mother posted:

June 13, 2020

Since businesses re-opened and major protests happened at the same time, a huge new wave of infections has taken place. The first wave never even ended. Now people are tired of wearing masks. Hospitals are in trouble again. The official death toll in America is around 120,000 but because they're clearly trying to hide the real number by saying most of the victims died simply of pneumonia, the reality is certainly much worse. But because people want to move on, the media isn't talking about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

zegermans posted:

my daughter is the only person left wearing a mask at her preschool and is starting to get teased over it. this country sucks.

:(