Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

I'm a little split, but if I had to choose between looting intact goods from a store today and picking through rubble for charred scraps tomorrow, I'd choose the former. This city is on the front, and there's a fair chance those goods will not have the chance to do anyone any good.

e: ughh what a lousy snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Tomberforce posted:

It is pretty remarkable that Ukraine is still contesting the airspace over a week in but really feeding intelligence directly to the Ukrainian military to enable them to hit Russian logistics units effectively is arguably more significant at severely limiting the fighting capability of the Russian army at this stage and carries way fewer escalatory risks.

Not just contesting, from what I understand sources at the USDOD were saying that Ukraine has limited air superiority over Ukraine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kaal posted:

I think that the debate over an American-led no fly zone sort of misses the reality that NATO is dumping MANPADS into the country as fast as Ukraine can receive them.

This is where my (probably flawed) argument comes in of "does it really matter who fires the weapons provided by NATO?" I know that there's a bunch of precedent for doing the weapons giving and that's why we're comfortable with it, but Putin threatened retaliation if we did that and he didn't do anything - probably because they're overextended as it is and can't do anything about it.

Famethrowa posted:

Jesus christ why do you want nuclear war so bad

Someone asked what it would do and that's the objective answer to what it would do.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

FishBulbia posted:

I'm split. these might literally be people trying to survive by taking stuff. IDK.

Looting perfume and jewelry? IDK.

But obviously looting is to be expected for a city under siege like Mariupol.

Not long ago people were looting Air Jordans etc when there wasn't even a war lol

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I could see the world ending from a snap poll

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Famethrowa posted:

Jesus christ why do you want nuclear war so bad

Yea. This is horrible for Ukraine but I don't want ww3 breaking out and I certainly don't want to be nuked. A no fly zone is not the solution.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Kaal posted:

I think that the debate over an American-led no fly zone sort of misses the reality that NATO is dumping MANPADS into the country as fast as Ukraine can receive them.

Those are good against helicopters and slower ground attack aircraft but not so good against fast jets at higher altitudes. It is probably a big part of why there haven't been too many Russian helicopter operations reported though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KillHour posted:

A no-fly zone is really a "we are enforcing our own air superiority" zone. It would involve wrecking Russia's AA capabilities and free the Ukranian airforce to do whatever they want, basically.

That 5 billion mile long convoy would suddenly be a burning streak of charred metal through the countryside.

Strictly speaking, a NFZ would also mean grounding Ukrainian planes and drones and telling them to shut their AA systems. In any case it's out of question.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

I feel like this has to be a bluff because KSA has been spending germany in the 1930s GDP% on building up their army and they've been domestically banging the drums for an eventual regional war against Iran and Iran's sphere of influence for a decade now. I find it too hard to believe at this point that even the response to Russia has somehow sobered him up from wanting that war. If KSA keeps spending on its military at the current rate, imo just toss that statement completely out.

That said there are some interesting parallels between how a KSA (or american for that matter) invasion of Iran would go and how the Russian invasion of Ukraine is going. Eg attacking by forcing several axes of advance from different regions in unfriendly terrain by an extremely motivated, decently equipped enemy with significant personnel reserves and significant recent combat experience where, at most, just a couple percent might be sympathetic, and then additionally all the supply line and other logistical nightmares that we're currently watching wreck havoc on the Russian advance.

Also lowkey, it hasn't been very heavily reported on or I think fully noted by the press, but KSA is very much out of america's good graces and MBS seems to be more aware that that is a risky place to be.

all in all it's a weird as hell development.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 5, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I feel like this has to be a bluff because KSA has been spending germany in the 1930s GDP% on building up their army and they've been domestically banging the drums for an eventual regional war against Iran and Iran's sphere of influence. I find it too hard to believe at this point that even the response to Russia has somehow sobered him up from wanting that war. If KSA keeps spending on its military at the current rate, imo just toss that statement completely out.

That said there are some interesting parallels between how a KSA (or american for that matter) invasion of Iran would go and how the Russian invasion of Ukraine is going. Eg attacking by forcing several axes of advance from different regions in unfriendly terrain by an extremely motivated, decently equipped enemy with significant personnel reserves and significant recent combat experience where, at most, just a couple percent might be sympathetic, and then additionally all the supply line and other logistical nightmares that we're currently watching wreck havoc on the Russian advance.

Saudi military ambitions are busy dying in Yemen, where the combination of failson officers and Sudanese mercenaries is more important than their expensive equipment.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Wanna reiterate that Nato is 30 countries in a defensive pact that has spent half a century trying to deter escalation, they are not going to throw it all out the window because a right-wing polling company in one country put up a poll that demonstrates that most people don't know what things mean. Nato isn't going to cave on poo poo because of public opinion, that is not its purpose, it can be as unpopular as it needs to be, and they will not compromise just to make one member country's political party more electable in 7-31 months.

Please relax about NFZs or any kind of interference.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Morrow posted:

Saudi military ambitions are busy dying in Yemen, where the combination of failson officers and Sudanese mercenaries is more important than their expensive equipment.

yes, they're inexplicably managing to militarily lose a genocide.

still that has had relatively little impact so far on MBS' ambitions and his perspective has been that Yemen is a crucible where his army can gain actual experience. At least until they started getting bullied back to (and over the border). The outcome of yemen has had bizarrely little impact, if anything, on MBS' ambitions.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
A devastating nuclear apocalypse is just the antidote this world needs

Take us back to the stone age and start over again, this time with way less plastic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

KillHour posted:

This is where my (probably flawed) argument comes in of "does it really matter who fires the weapons provided by NATO?" I know that there's a bunch of precedent for doing the weapons giving

It's a super weird and illogical distinction isn't it, between handing over poo poo tons of javelins and manpads and what else, and say, rolling BMP's or tanks over the border and saying help yourself. I understand the distinction, and why it's an important distinction, but it's still like a stupid rule nations just pulled out of their butts. Yes, you can have this. No, you can't have that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I mean...

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

Not just contesting, from what I understand sources at the USDOD were saying that Ukraine has limited air superiority over Ukraine.

😂

Russia is/was a paper tiger. I wonder if anyone knew.

Edit: I’m still on the the RF ground forces will eventually ground this out, but they might have to call up the reserves jfc

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 5, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Back in 2007 when I was thinking of an edgy internet name, I know THIS would be my moment! It all makes sense now!

Another goon made me this avatar and I love it to pieces. It perfectly encapsulates what I think about my alarm clock in the morning. :colbert:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

gay picnic defence posted:

Those are good against helicopters and slower ground attack aircraft but not so good against fast jets at higher altitudes. It is probably a big part of why there haven't been too many Russian helicopter operations reported though.

That's certainly true, but it's also true that Russian fighter jets aren't really a primary threat at this point. Their air to ground attacks have been fairly unimpressive, particularly now that much of their PGM inventory appears to be depleted. If Ukraine can control the skies well enough to clear Russian helicopters and attack aircraft, they'll have achieved most of what a NATO NFZ would have sought to achieve. Ukraine does have vehicular SHORAD and jets of their own to contest Russian air power if need be, and they are capturing more of it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

A devastating nuclear apocalypse is just the antidote this world needs

Take us back to the stone age and start over again, this time with way less plastic.

:wrong:

The plastic isn't going anywhere. It's just getting more microscopic. There's no starting over.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
god bless kherson llama

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1499827841365590016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Morrow posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1499891142107693057

An interesting implication here is that the Russians may not have enough troops to fully encircle Kyiv: it'd take 90 of their BTGs to do so, and they may not have that many left. So it would have to be a looser encirclement that still allows supplies to flow in. The numbers I saw was that there were maybe 30-50 BTGs involved in the entire front, some of which will be needed for other operations beyond the city itself.

But extrapolating his numbers elsewhere, I don't see how Russia can fight multiple urban battles at once. Which they need to do to take over the country.

I don't get it either. My speculation is that Putin still believes the Ukrainians are weak and will surrender once he starts bombing cities and I wonder what will change if that doesn't work out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I feel like this has to be a bluff because KSA has been spending germany in the 1930s GDP% on building up their army and they've been domestically banging the drums for an eventual regional war against Iran and Iran's sphere of influence for a decade now. I find it too hard to believe at this point that even the response to Russia has somehow sobered him up from wanting that war. If KSA keeps spending on its military at the current rate, imo just toss that statement completely out.

Maybe he's been harboring doubts about what quality he was getting for his money and has now realized that if Putin's military sucks that bad, his is worse. And he's seen that Europe and the US are actually willing to make sacrifices to implement sanctions, plus he sees the environmental writing on the wall, plus he's probably still hurting from losing his Hollywood / Silicon Valley friends over Kashoggi so he knows he is not untouchable. If he sees his way out of this as taking on the role as a peacemaker, well then blessed be he.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The calculus was that Ukrainians wanted to be liberated and there was a new government waiting in the wings and now it’s just doubling down and hoping for a way to get a favorable treaty.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

So that's the new name for the Moscow Mule right

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

If someone wants to put together a kids book talking about living through scary times in Ukraine, this is their viewpoint.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

the popes toes posted:

It's passing strange that of all the people who unironically said that it's a moral imperative to punch a nazi, many of the same now say, when faced with a real nazi, we shouldn't. Because they fear getting hurt. Or something.

Punching a nazi is one thing. Causing global thermonuclear exchanges is another thing entirely.

If it wasn't against thread rules to go into Clancy-chat I would do an effort post about MAD and NATO/Russian nuclear doctrine, as this is, for once, my area of expertise finally becoming relevant. Alas, you will have to suffice with me saying "Any confrontation between NATO and Russia will inevitably, by design, lead to a strategic nuclear exchange because that is explicitly what the US and Russian nuclear forces are designed around."

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lots of people keep asking about no fly zone, which in itself is of course fine, but I think the reason why it seems like such an attractive solution is language. "Declare a no fly zone". Ah, you simply declare it, maybe through the FAA, and enforce it with radar and lawyers. However, if you do find/replace "implement no fly zone" with "aggressively attack all Russian aircraft and air defense systems in the area", it becomes easier to understand. It was easier to confuse it with a TFR declared by the FAA when it was done over Iraq.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I wonder if Trump, Brexit and Putin's folly in Ukraine are going to be some kind of reality check/pressure release in the grand scheme of things instead of being herald of worse things to come. Each of these is horrible, but their intrinsic failures may have prevented something even worse from materializing - like the immediate Brexit aftermath stealing the wind from a lot of anti-EU nationalist parties in the rest of Europe or everyone realizing how bad of an idea it is to start a war with a semi-peer western country. Guess one could argue that Trump has also somehow split the GOP, but it doesn't seem so clear cut.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The calculus was that Ukrainians wanted to be liberated and there was a new government waiting in the wings and now it’s just doubling down and hoping for a way to get a favorable treaty.

And they miscalculated this guy

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1499429621955235845

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I think we've fully settled that the No Fly Zone is not good and won't happen, please move on :siren:

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

:wrong:

The plastic isn't going anywhere. It's just getting more microscopic. There's no starting over.

We can nuke the plastic. Checkmate.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Morrow posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1499891142107693057

An interesting implication here is that the Russians may not have enough troops to fully encircle Kyiv: it'd take 90 of their BTGs to do so, and they may not have that many left. So it would have to be a looser encirclement that still allows supplies to flow in. The numbers I saw was that there were maybe 30-50 BTGs involved in the entire front, some of which will be needed for other operations beyond the city itself.

But extrapolating his numbers elsewhere, I don't see how Russia can fight multiple urban battles at once. Which they need to do to take over the country.

if the ground off the roads is bogging down the russians, it'd do the same to the ukranians. they don't need to invest every foot around the city like a medieval siege, they just need to control every major highway and road, and that includes positioning guns in spots that can reliably hit the roads when spotters request fire.

plenty of major cities in syria were sieged without some kind of giant ring around the city

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I feel like this statement would really piss off a famous Russian author but I'm not sure which one.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

DaysBefore posted:

Ukrainian Llama Recipe:

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons Limoncello

3 ounces Ukrainian vodka

Ice cubes

One 12-ounce bottle ginger beer

Lemon (Sun)flowers, for garnish

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 5, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Woah...this guy doesn't link to the video, but some of the replies do. It is by far the most graphic I've seen so far. So only check it out if you have a strong stomach.

Really. :nms: Don't look if you can't handle it. :siren:
https://mobile.twitter.com/TomRtweets/status/1499777470064693253

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 5, 2022

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I think we've fully settled that the No Fly Zone is not good and won't happen, please move on :siren:

Down with zippers

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Looting perfume and jewelry? IDK.

But obviously looting is to be expected for a city under siege like Mariupol.

Not long ago people were looting Air Jordans etc when there wasn't even a war lol

Anything you can trade for food is worth looting. There's a war going on there, you know.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Oh hell yes.

Although that account is pro Putin.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

No specific to the NFZ but the reason it polls so high, other than the ease of the Iraq NFZ (did Serbia have one?) is that it's tangible action. Clearly, the American government is doing something but talking about it would compromise whatever we're doing. Add to that the average persons understanding of international politics and policy is little to none and that is why you are getting polling so high for a NFZ.

Essentially, we want to feel like we are doing something and it doesn't FEEL like we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Charlz Guybon posted:

Woah...this guy doesn't link to the video, but some of the replies do. It is by far the most graphic I've seen so far. So only check it out if you have a strong stomach.

Twitters constant tightening of what npn-members can view is going to kill the platform