Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nenonen posted:

It can also stand for Mikhail if speaking of a male.

Vladimir is Vova, which should be used of Putin in media because it sounds like a baby name. 'President Macron talked with Vova on phone earlier today.'

That and as I understand it’s considered extremely rude to call a Russian person by their nickname if they don’t introduce themselves as it and/or say it’s fine? My friend Dasha introduces herself as Daria but signs postcards as Dasha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

In wartime Ukraine, driver fears pedestrian!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why does Russia like trains so much?

Big territory.

And communism.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Ides of March

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

PerilPastry posted:

Could shifting the discussion to Donbas be construed as a slight walk back of their war aims? https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1500158945641570304?s=20&t=LhK6yqV4jtitEO8SbfKw6Q

Why the heck would you rely on Chinese news for anything here (outside of trying to gauge Chinese party line messaging).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Trains are cool

Use them for good, not for war

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Trains are how you move military hardware.

The alternative is moving tanks by truck. And that doesn't scale at all.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s a really big country that has built up an unfathomable amount of infrastructure in the last century.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Trains rule

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Just the tip of the iceberg of how many night vision devices and thermal sights Ukraine has been getting. Especially when it's believed that elite Russian units don't even have NVDs.
https://twitter.com/AbraxasSpa/status/1500149958024077320?s=20&t=SIMXCbr6EZT9rCSS9V6q6Q

Edit: there's a rumor going around that Vladimir "Voha" Zhoga, leader of the Donetsk Sparta Battalion, has been killed.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 5, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

OddObserver posted:

That's Misha.

:doh:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Trains are a great way to move heavy things long distances at minimal cost. Before there were trains, the only way to move huge amounts of goods was water transport.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cant cook creole bream posted:

I want to read a depressing short story of the life and death of one of these Russian soldiers as he is lead over the border and promised a liberator's glory, only to end up in that traffic jam from hell. As he slowly runs out of gas, electricity, heat and food, some comrades try and fail to escape by braving the mud, while occasionally the higher ups are shot down out of nowhere.

I do feel kind of bad for these guys. On the other hand, they were on the way to bombshell civilians and will likely still do so if they ever reach their destination, so gently caress 'em.

The Book Barn Book of the Month this month is going to be

Depeche Mode by Serhiy Zhadan

quote:

In 1993, tragic turbulence takes over Ukraine in the post-communist spin-off. As if in somnambulism, Soviet war veterans and upstart businessmen listen to an American preacher of whose type there were plenty at the time in the post-Soviet territory. In Kharkiv, the young communist headquarters is now an advertising agency, and a youth radio station brings Western music, with Depeche Mode in the lead, into homes of ordinary people. In the middle of this craze three friends, an anti-Semitic Jew Dogg Pavlov, an unfortunate entrepreneur Vasia the Communist and the narrator Zhadan, nineteen years of age and unemployed, seek to find their old pal Sasha Carburetor to tell him that his step-father shot himself dead. Characters confront elements of their reality, and, tainted with traumatic survival fever, embark on a sad, dramatic and a bit grotesque adventure.

i haven't gotten the new thread up yet though

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Back when physical game distribution was thing, I was told that distributing games in the US took longer than in Russia, because the US had a dumb infrastructure for such a big country and it took forever to have teamsters and planes move everything. I don't know if that is still valid for physical distribution of stuff.

Trains are awesome.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Kith posted:

:goonsay:

the primary value of sandbagging was often in protecting the machinegunner or driver from spalling or ricochets - measures to counter HEAT munitions was usually in the form of mounting the tank's spare tracks as additional armor, or using other "hard" material. however, tests revealed that sandbags actually did a decent job of taking the bite out of angled or glancing shots, and could often cause said shots to not penetrate the armor

There was another benefit, apparently: small arms fire hitting sandbags is a lot less nervous breakdown inducing for the crew than it was to have it plinking loudly right off your shell

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Young Freud posted:

Just the tip of the iceberg of how many night vision devices Ukraine has been getting. Especially when it's believed that elite Russian units don't even have NVDs.
https://twitter.com/AbraxasSpa/status/1500149958024077320?s=20&t=SIMXCbr6EZT9rCSS9V6q6Q

No wonder why generals keep getting dirt napped.

It's great that racism once again defeated the nazis. They assume the Ukrainian subhuman would just lay down and die.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Grape posted:

Why the heck would you rely on Chinese news for anything here (outside of trying to gauge Chinese party line messaging).
They appear to be quoting the Russian foreign ministry. I'm simply wondering whether that statement's focus on Donbas represents more than a rhetorical shift

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

That and as I understand it’s considered extremely rude to call a Russian person by their nickname if they don’t introduce themselves as it and/or say it’s fine? My friend Dasha introduces herself as Daria but signs postcards as Dasha.

It’s considered overly casual/familiar. To better understand that, you also need to be aware of existence of formal and informal pronouns in Russian language. When you first meet someone, you’re supposed to use formal pronouns, and their full name and patronymic - and to wait for them to offer you to refer to each other in more casual terms.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How does the US move poo poo around the country now that I think about it? Unlike I’m assuming Russia aren’t rail lines in the US privately owned?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia just wanted to restore peace in the Donbass by killing everyone in a children's cancer ward in Kyiv.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Boris Galerkin posted:

How does the US move poo poo around the country now that I think about it? Unlike I’m assuming Russia aren’t rail lines in the US privately owned?

Truck and flight. Mostly truck.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

madeintaipei posted:

Those trucks are carrying bridge segments. I guess the pine or birch logs might be there to form a short section of corduroy road. Makes some sense if they are engineers.

in retrospect, it does make more sense that the logs are to be used for road repair or something

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Also rail

The government doesn’t need to use only publicly-owned infrastructure. That’s a weird idea.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PederP posted:

Back when physical game distribution was thing, I was told that distributing games in the US took longer than in Russia, because the US had a dumb infrastructure for such a big country and it took forever to have teamsters and planes move everything. I don't know if that is still valid for physical distribution of stuff.

Trains are awesome.

US still has a huge amount of rail cargo transport, for stuff that's not very delay sensitive and big and heavy (games are light and most people want them quickly!). In fact one of the reasons that passenger rail sucks here is that it's often cargo rail companies that own the tracks and have priority.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Coal and oil move by barge usually.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Rail also is a thing.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/LahavHarkov/status/1500152430268407816?cxt=HHwWkICzsf2rztEpAAAA
which we knew about but the Kharhiv connection is interesting:
https://twitter.com/LahavHarkov/status/1500155442881875972

Saint Kyivanka
Mar 1, 2022

Patron Saint of SA

Tiny Timbs posted:

Also rail

The government doesn’t need to use only publicly-owned infrastructure. That’s a weird idea.

Also in time of an actual major war, the government would have no problem co-opting all private means of transportation. National security and all that.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Just the tip of the iceberg of how many night vision devices and thermal sights Ukraine has been getting. Especially when it's believed that elite Russian units don't even have NVDs.

It almost mind boggling that any of us, as random civilians, can go online and order sophisticated night vision equipment and digital radios that support AES encryption, yet one of the largest armies in the world from a country once considered a superpower are communicating with old radios only slightly more sophisticated than the ones we played with as children, and seemingly lack NVDs.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Also rail

Of course they don’t but if it’s privately owned then they gotta purchase passage or something and the companies owning the lines most likely won’t prioritize the military?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Trains rule and it's a genuine shame that so much rail infrastructure has gone to waste in favour of trucking

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Qmass posted:

Ides of March

Hell March.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The_Franz posted:

It almost mind boggling that any of us, as random civilians, can go online and order sophisticated night vision equipment and digital radios that support AES encryption, yet one of the largest armies in the world from a country once considered a superpower are communicating with old radios only slightly more sophisticated than the ones we played with as children, and seemingly lack NVDs.

Those thermal sights are just retail thermal sights too as this quote tweet brings up...
https://twitter.com/Schizguns/status/1500160482128416771?s=20&t=L0TsrKlHp6vbD3FskE0SBg

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://www.bts.gov/content/freight-flows-highway-railroad-and-waterway-2012

more detailed and current info

https://www.bts.gov/faf

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Covering the radiators with wood should also make the trucks slightly harder to see on IR I guess?
Cardboard would be better, but they're in a forest on the front lines and bridge units are engineers, they should also have chainsaws to hand.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

You can also gnaw on the food for sustenance in case your convoy gets stranded somewhere for a week

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

[.url]https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1500099189061173249?s=20&t=CnKfVNdiL7Xm9GegnTi4Rg[/.url]

:nms:

What's extra loving crazy about this video is that it is from an off the shelf commercial drone.

The Ukrainian Army is using drones as spotters and probably used the drone feed to have the missile aimed in the right direction and ready to get a lock as quickly as possible when the helicopter came into view of the operator. We already knew that they were using them, just crazy to see how effective it is.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PederP posted:

Trains are awesome.
The US sucks at passenger rail, but is excellent at freight rail. It's basically in the same category as Russia in terms of weight moved, moving like 20% less, which for comparisons sake is roughly the same ratio as the entire EU relative to Ukraine.

Obviously poo poo like the EU being largely more compact, and probably also moving less heavy stuff, makes it look particularly bad in this comparison, but it does indicate that the US doesn't really have dumb infrastructure at that level. Based on the infrastructure thread, I think the issue is more that the US has increasingly outdated port/terminal infrastructure, resulting in poo poo getting stuck in bottlenecks rather than getting moved onto trains quickly and efficiently.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Someone upstream had it right that the wood on these trucks is to assist in mud, especially since they’re on a pontoon bridge transporter that needs to be able to get really close to water. Now, why the gently caress they didn’t think about this earlier is another topic all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Coal and oil move by barge usually.

I'm puzzled by this statement. Do you get delivered oil directly from a barge to your gas station?