Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shibawanko posted:

they really do look like complete teenage dumbasses that have no idea what they're doing or why they're there. i hope they at least got captured alive afterwards

I'd strongly consider letting them go again because they're a far greater danger to their fellow Russians than to Ukraine.

OTOH maybe they did this because they wanted to get captured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes, but couldn’t Putin at least take some bites from China? Such as 5 Year Plans, SEZ, and nationalizations of key aspects of the economy? Or are the oligarchs truly powerful enough to prevent two of the three above from becoming a reality?

The last 5 years or so of its existence, the USSR actually tried doing some SEZs, notably in the Far East to try and work more with China. It was mostly a failure.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Trump posted:

I just want to inform you that a minority of people in the world live around the Mississippi/Ohio/Missouri barge served area.

In the us it’s a v significant portion of the population which is what we were discussing. The biggest inland port in the us by cargo moved is Huntington West Virginia which despite a small population size is located next to the coal fields of Appalachia the oil fields of Pennsylvania and a massive oil refinery in Ashland

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 5, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Libluini posted:

This is probably the effect of zero training on poor conscripts. If your missing training has made you so disconnected mentally from actually being in a war and this is the first thing you're ordered to do, you'd probably pile in without a second thought.

Until elevator No. 10, when your enemy has noticed you doing this and just cuts the power after you walked in

I've never been in combat, but it's been drilled to me that in an emergency like a fire or something, never take the elevator, take the stairs.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Russia has a severe case of resource curse, it's the no. 1 world example due to the visibility that Gazprom has in its politics and media

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
If they waited until the elevator was a few floors up and had a saw handy, they could recreate a scene from the first Resident Evil movie.

Not saying they should, but it's probably something to think about before you get into an elevator in the country you're currently invading.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Young Freud posted:

I've never been in combat, but it's been drilled to me that in an emergency like a fire or something, never take the elevator, take the stairs.

The sign didn't say anything about special military operations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

I'd like to know statistics on how many teenage dumbasses would actually remember this in an emergency, ha ha :allears:

Joking aside, who knows, if the basic education of a kleptocracy is just bad enough, maybe no-one even told them this in their life?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Can't believe I've forgotten to post this. The decades don't quite line up, but the theme does.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Libluini posted:

I'd like to know statistics on how many teenage dumbasses would actually remember this in an emergency, ha ha :allears:

Joking aside, who knows, if the basic education of a kleptocracy is just bad enough, maybe no-one even told them this in their life?
To be grudgingly fair to the invader, they are likely young men who have been at best going hungry and cold while trooping around in a country that hates them for over a week, they have been told this country is their lost little brother and instead now they have found the magic jar that releases Javelins. In these situations, "can we take the loving lift?" starts to look like a brilliant idea.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Please don't do that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nessus posted:

To be grudgingly fair to the invader, they are likely young men who have been at best going hungry and cold while trooping around in a country that hates them for over a week, they have been told this country is their lost little brother and instead now they have found the magic jar that releases Javelins. In these situations, "can we take the loving lift?" starts to look like a brilliant idea.

Like I said, it's possible they did it on purpose to get captured. In fact I hope that's what happened because I just can't really process it otherwise.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Please don't do that.

What if the guy's name is Ivan? It's not a loving slur.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Come on man

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
This reminds me of when I tried naming plants in No Man's Sky something-"kraut" and the game didn't let me because "Kraut" is a slur. So I was wondering, who in the hell is still using slurs from the 1st and 2nd World Wars in earnest?

I guess this answers this question.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ola posted:

Can't believe I've forgotten to post this. The decades don't quite line up, but the theme does.

Pretty much. The iron curtain was winning the Cold War for like two decades at most. After 1971 or so it gradually declined.

Also Russia never really had a “strong” economy post dissolution.

Flappy Bert posted:

The last 5 years or so of its existence, the USSR actually tried doing some SEZs, notably in the Far East to try and work more with China. It was mostly a failure.

I wonder what it is that China and Laos do that makes other nations like Russia, Belarus, or South Africa have so much trouble getting the same positive results.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/status/1500192254887022593?s=20

Is this guy even that majorly pro-putin, when we don't even have that many Russia experts to begin with?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Libluini posted:

This reminds me of when I tried naming plants in No Man's Sky something-"kraut" and the game didn't let me because "Kraut" is a slur. So I was wondering, who in the hell is still using slurs from the 1st and 2nd World Wars in earnest?

I believe the traditional name is "Jerry"

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

punk rebel ecks posted:

It did/does if you're living in Germany! :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The original post used "Ivans", plural, so it's not referring to a name unless you believe that entire squad of Russian soldiers are all named Ivan.

It's not a slur, but it's not a really good idea to use or make up pithy cutesy nicknames for groups of people, because those nicknames can become slurs.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pretty much. The iron curtain was winning the Cold War for like two decades at most. After 1971 or so it gradually

I wonder what it is that China and Laos do that makes other nations like Russia, Belarus, or South Africa have so much trouble getting the same positive results.

The tl;dr version is export-oriented industrialization. Russia has relied on exporting natural resources which is sort of a macroeconomic version of a poverty trap in that you get lots of money from it, but you don't secure the huge productivity gains that accrue long-term with industrialization. If you look at russian exports, manufactured goods are a small percentage.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pretty much. The iron curtain was winning the Cold War for like two decades at most. After 1971 or so it gradually declined.

I would think the 50s were a good decade for the USSR economically (or at least one of massive improvements). You could argue that due to the devastation of WWII, they had nowhere to go but dramatically upwards, but I view the Khrushchev era as the closest thing to a golden era for the USSR.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nonsense posted:

Is this guy even that majorly pro-putin, when we don't even have that many Russia experts to begin with?

Mearsheimer is just an IR bullshitter, his job is mostly to rationalize whatever has previously happened. Realism is great.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Libluini posted:

The idiotic word filters anglos love so much filter a ton of normal words from other languages. It cannot be overstated how much I hate the morons who think it's a good idea.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kanos posted:

The original post used "Ivans", plural, so it's not referring to a name unless you believe that entire squad of Russian soldiers are all named Ivan.

It's not a slur, but it's not a really good idea to use or make up pithy cutesy nicknames for groups of people, because those nicknames can become slurs.

By this logic we'll have to ban people from saying Yankees, Aussies, Canucks, Brits...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

In Germany, we'd use both "Der Ivan" or "Der Russe", if we're talking about 70+ year old grandpas getting weird, but nowadays among the younger generations it's less cutesy/pithy and more dumb

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Eric Cantonese posted:

I would think the 50s were a good decade for the USSR economically (or at least one of massive improvements). You could argue that due to the devastation of WWII, they had nowhere to go but dramatically upwards, but I view the Khrushchev era as the closest thing to a golden era for the USSR.

Absolutely, but it was also the golden era for Europe and the US, for the same reasons, mostly. so at best it was a wash, but realistically the USSR still lagged behind, and it also wasn't all that great for the satellite States that had to watch as their Western counterparts grew fat from post war reconstruction investments while they stagnated.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

By this logic we'll have to ban people from saying Yankees, Aussies, Canucks, Brits...

Yeah! And we couldn't call a group of black american protesters "Jamaals!" That would be awful.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nonsense posted:

The mediating account seems to be misrepresenting the letter they're posting, which surprise, isn't calling for a "cancellation". Hanania appears to belong to the substack crowd (his current position is president of an organization that exists only on substack and consists only of him) and has a lot of statements opposing "cancel culture", along with promoting appearances on Tucker and podcast interviews with scientists in the Charles Murray camp.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Some of those are actively embraced by the groups they refer to, which is a different matter.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Discendo Vox posted:

The mediating account seems to be misrepresenting the letter they're posting, which surprise, isn't calling for a "cancellation". Hanania appears to belong to the substack crowd (his current position is president of an organization that exists only on substack and consists only of him) and has a lot of statements opposing "cancel culture", along with promoting appearances on Tucker and podcast interviews with scientists in the Charles Murray camp.

https://twitter.com/RichardHanania/status/1500119039854612484

Went looking for his tweet suggesting that the "manly recruitment ads" are what's keeping up Russian morale and found this and I guess that probably says enough about the dude.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

The only thing accurate about offensive realism is mearsheimer's face.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

steinrokkan posted:

Absolutely, but it was also the golden era for Europe and the US, for the same reasons, mostly. so at best it was a wash, but realistically the USSR still lagged behind, and it also wasn't all that great for the satellite States that had to watch as their Western counterparts grew fat from post war reconstruction investments while they stagnated.

To be fair the United States and other Western nations made insane investments to those nations. It wasn’t a fair comparison. The Cold War was from the late 40s until the early 90s and the USSR was a true competitor for twenty to twenty five years. The remaining second half was stagnation to decline.

The USSR couldn’t pivot to a different t economic system, whether it would be state capitalism or some new innovation like Trotskyism. Those at the top wouldn’t hear it, let alone allow it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Shes Not Impressed posted:

The only thing accurate about offensive realism is mearsheimer's face.

This is the guy's webpage. Realism, baby!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nenonen posted:

(CW: WAR) Ukraine v Russia: Sadly, we're kinda experts on Nazism. !!READ OP WARNING!!

It would be a nice break from
(CW: WAR) Ukraine v Russia: Choo choo chat. !!READ OP WARNING!!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cimber posted:

Apparently Ivan was trying to clear an apartment building, and thought it would be a good idea to take the elevator to the top.

Ukrainians then cut the power to the building after all the Ivans piled in.

For context, the orange-black ribbon is St. George’s ribbon, something used to commemorate WW2 in Russia normally - but recently retconned by Russia into a show of support for Russian Federation.

Imagine a squad of British soldiers where all those ribbons along sleeves, helmets, etcetera are all replaced with Union Jacks of various length.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 5, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kanos posted:

unless you believe that entire squad of Russian soldiers are all named Ivan.

The Russian remake of Calamari Union is, frankly, too absurd.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

You're looking for Joe and Tommy.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/aviation07101/status/1500157654253064195

That seems... bad? The printer ran out of ink for the mission briefing? It's not like the Russian side is short of airbases in friendly territory surely

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Libluini posted:

In Germany, we'd use both "Der Ivan" or "Der Russe", if we're talking about 70+ year old grandpas getting weird, but nowadays among the younger generations it's less cutesy/pithy and more dumb

Being that I grew up and lived a good part of my life during the Cold War, we were calling the Russian's Ivan for as long as I could remember.

But fine fine, as not to upset anyone's sensibilities I will just refer to them as 'Russians.'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

People really getting mad itt about using the term "Ivan" when war crimes are being committed. If Germany had invaded Ukraine would people really be upset if we called them Jerry?