Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quarantinethepast posted:

You know Russia's invasion of Ukraine short term is going to strengthen NATO, but I'm thinking that if Ukraine beats the invasion it could give support to the opposite position too.

The idea being that Russia is so weak that it can't even win against one of the poorest countries in Europe that is right on its front door. Nationalists (or some leftists) may argue that if Russia can't win this, then they can't win anything and we don't need to strengthen NATO. Of course you could counter saying who wants to even have the chance of suffering a war in the first place.

Yeah sorry, no way. Who would want to risk going through this voluntarily? As funny as it is to see russian tanks stuck in the mud, I'd rather never have them set foot on my soil in the first place, which is what NATO membership ensures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why is Ukraine abbreviated to UA and Russia to RU?

Well when they were setting up the internet TLDs, Great Britain was more important than Ukraine. See also Switzerland getting Ch over China.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Presumably the UK called dibs on UK?

OctaMurk posted:

really dude

he was responding to a post that suggested Ukrainian victory could lead to NATO becoming less important. the fact that NATO is the reason for Ukrainian success is therefore very relevant because it means being in NATO or having good relations with NATO remains very important to a nation's security
In their defense, politics and reality do not always see eye to eye.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OctaMurk posted:

really dude

he was responding to a post that suggested Ukrainian victory could lead to NATO becoming less important. the fact that NATO is the reason for Ukrainian success is therefore very relevant because it means being in NATO or having good relations with NATO remains very important to a nation's security

That does make more sense, yes. I obviously didn't read the post he replied to closely enough.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That's their domain codes and UA is easier to type than UKR (and just UK has some risk of confusion, Putin isn't landing at Bristol... yet)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

International standard 2-letter country codes.

https://www.iban.com/country-codes

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Ukraine is also doing as well as it is because it's spent eight years at war already, even if the West forgot. That's eight years of lives lost, budget cuts for infrastructure and welfare, and general instability.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Because there's more countries than letters, so we need to abbreviate with 2. The United Kingdom already took UK, so Ukraine needs to settle for UA. Russia -> RU is simple.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Cugel the Clever posted:

The folks most adamantly doing that are the pro-Putin folks, though? They're ardently defending Putin's illegal invasion while declaring that this is the only acceptable position of those who are anti-war/anti-imperialism.

That's just a matter of there not being a lot of worthwhile arguments in favor of putin or the russian invasion at this point, and so they mostly fit into the leftover grooves of regime apologism and start looking same-ish. Also, they're forced to do the bedfellows thing with people who are whole-assing the craziest, most obvious propaganda, like that this is actually being done for 'denazification'

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dante posted:

Well the war itself makes energy a national security issue, if that entails expanding solar or coal kinda depends on your country. The oil price will for sure stay high during this, which in itself is good for the green energy though.

Well it was being said that in the next 2-3 years electric vehicles would be equal in sales of petrol vehicles and then overtake them going forward. Energy is a national security issue and should have been framed that way years ago.

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The ISO standard (written by English speaking people) that governs two-character country abbreviations typically prefers the first two letters of a place, so you would think Ukraine is UK and Russia is RU. The United Kingdom, which goes by GB, asked not to allocate UK. [strike]UR is Uruguay.[/strike] Edit: Uruguay is apparently UY, so I'm not sure why they didn't allocate UR to Ukraine. But anyway, hence UA. In general the codes don't match the native languages (Egypt is "EG" rather than "MI", Hungary is HU rather than MA, etc.) and instead match English.

Man Plan Canal fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 5, 2022

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Good think-tank piece that argues that the reason Russia hasn't used its airforce isn't just due to being overly cautious, or because it's in disrepair, but because the Russian airforce might actually be institutionally incapable of conduction real air operations:

https://www.rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/rusi-defence-systems/russian-air-force-actually-incapable-complex-air-operations/

Highlights:

quote:

- First, while the VKS has gained significant combat experience in complex air environments over Syria since 2015, it has only operated aircraft in small formations during those operations [...] This means that its operational commanders have very little practical experience of how to plan, brief and coordinate complex air operations involving tens or hundreds of assets in a high-threat air environment.

- Second, most VKS pilots get around 100 hours’ (and in many cases less) flying time per year – around half of that flown by most NATO air forces. They also lack comparable modern simulator facilities to train and practice advanced tactics in complex environments.

- Instead, the VKS continues to only operate in very small numbers and at low level to minimize the threat from the Ukrainian SAMs. Down low, their situational awareness and combat effectiveness is limited, and they are well within range of the MANPADS such as Igla and Stinger which Ukrainian forces already possess.

A lot of people seem to think that Ukraine is in trouble when the Russian airforce finally decides to attack in force, but there is apparently decent evidence that what we've seen so far is just the best that they can do.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nessus posted:

That's their domain codes and UA is easier to type than UKR (and just UK has some risk of confusion, Putin isn't landing at Bristol... yet)

London was successfully occupied decades ago, FSB operates freely there. Salisbury area is still contested, the church towers are awfully high.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Because United Kingdom booked UK.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

FishBulbia posted:

No, he's just a neorealist contrarian. These people only know him because they saw that Youtube video with 8 million views of a lecture he gave once.

I watched the video and didn't find anything that objectionable. Actually the only thing I titled my head over was when he said "America overthrows countries and makes them democratic" which had me roll my eyes. Yes I know he followed up with "because our government believes that those countries will then ally with us", but still.

The fact that what he stated is considered "radical" and "dangerous" really frightens me.

Discendo Vox posted:

The mediating account seems to be misrepresenting the letter they're posting, which surprise, isn't calling for a "cancellation".

Assuming that the letter on the Twitter is accurate (wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't), the students literally accuse him of spreading "Putinism" and cherry pick not even quotes but like words from part of a sentence from his hour plus video. I mean the letter begins asking for his "appeal".

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 5, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

really dude

I didn't even think what I said was controversial, given how many times we've seen Russia invade a non-NATO neighbor and just steamroller them or jack up the atrocities to pull themselves out of a quagmire. poo poo, we don't even have to go back too far with the 2014 invasion of Ukraine, which had a very little external support. If we had their backs then and threw what we're throwing now, they wouldn't have lost Donbass and Crimea.

BTW, Alexandr Dugin popped up on Facebook to talk about the current conflict...

Edit: think this might actually be from 2014

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 5, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

quarantinethepast posted:

Yeah funny how said "anti-war" stance is rewarding Russia for committing acts of aggression, which will embolden them to do more in the future.

Likewise encouraging further strongmen to pursue glorious little revanchist wars.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

some FSB analyst posted:

...I made up the report.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Young Freud posted:

I didn't even think what I said was controversial, given how many times we've seen Russia invade a non-NATO neighbor and just steamroller them or jack up the atrocities to pull themselves out of a quagmire. poo poo, we don't even have to go back too far with the 2014 invasion of Ukraine, which had a very little external support. If we had their backs then and threw what we're throwing now, they wouldn't have lost Donbass and Crimea.

He's kinda correct about the first half! Russia has helped coalesce a global liberal elite around a cause and a set of values, ironically this is probably the biggest shot in the arm for global liberalism since...the soviet union was a threat.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Russia has spent so much time and money funding and supporting far-right groups that they'll have no shortage of places to denazify

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Is the last part real? If so please link it. It'll it's part of the article it may be a translate error also

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dante posted:

He's kinda correct about the first half! Russia has helped coalesce a global liberal elite around a cause and a set of values, ironically this is probably the biggest shot in the arm for global liberalism since...the soviet union was a threat.
"Now that we have set fire to any hope of being part of their world order at least with Putin in charge our only choices are annihilation or creating our own world order!"

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Nessus posted:

"Now that we have set fire to any hope of being part of their world order at least with Putin in charge our only choices are annihilation or creating our own world order!"

Yeah, the Dugin rant comes off as an almost comically unaware text-based version of the bicycle self-wrecking meme.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Did your autocorrect have a grand mal seizure here? I assume this is supposed to read "an argument that, in the end also" or something similar.

Not meant to be a knock on you, I'm just kinda impressed by the typo.

Phone typing w/autocorrect. Sorry.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

He's making a list, he's checking it twice

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1500182315112321028

e: who knew that starting a war would negatively impact people's perception of your country!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Russian command and control seems highly doubtful so if it is indeed true that Russians shelled evacuation points it's as likely to be stupidity as malice.

It's still tragic for people killed, but I doubt it's part of a perfidious Russian plot.

Djarum posted:

It's a mix of poorly trained and disciplined soldiers coupled with little accountability for them. Let's say we put you into an active war zone, given a gun and little training. Everyone is going to spook you and eventually you are going to take everything as a target.

The US military spends months getting soldiers ready before deployment somewhere to try and avoid these kinds of scenarios and as we have seen in Iraq and Afghanistan it still happens occasionally there.

Yeah that's probably it, it seems like a bad tactical move so if it's Russian soldiers doing it without orders from higher backing it up it makes more sense.

It's tragic that this is the way it worked and I doubt those soldiers will stand trial for these war crimes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PederP posted:

Yeah, the Dugin rant comes off as an almost comically unaware text-based version of the bicycle self-wrecking meme.
Even the Russian thinkers think of Russia as a mindless stimulus response machine. No choice! Only one path!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So my mom just called me. She’s a 71 year old progressive Democrat and she called me to tell me:

“I wish we would just set up a no-fly-zone already. If we have to go to war with Russia we might as well do it before your son and your brother’s son are military age.”

My reply was, “I prefer that we don’t all die in a nuclear holocaust if that’s okay…”

To which she responded, “meh, I am not that worried about it. Probably because I am closer to dying than you are.”

This phone call was probably the most concerning thing I’ve encountered since the was started. :tif:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Assuming that the letter on the Twitter is accurate (wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't), the students literally accuse him of spreading "Putinism" and cherry pick not even quotes but like words from part of a sentence from his hour plus video. I mean the letter begins asking for his "appeal".

The letter is appealing to the president of the university. It's also not just talking about his youtube video- it's coming from current students, referring to claims from him in his classes and questions about his funding sources. Without a big derail, I'll say that it is very doable for well-moneyed figures (I'm familiar with it in industry) to set up professors to legitimize themselves in the academy.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Young Freud posted:

Edit: think this might actually be from 2014

Ah the 'anti-globalist populism' of oligarchs waging proxy wars.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Kamrat posted:

Yeah that's probably it, it seems like a bad tactical move so if it's Russian soldiers doing it without orders from higher backing it up it makes more sense.

It's tragic that this is the way it worked and I doubt those soldiers will stand trial for these war crimes.

You think all those artillerymen are getting spooked and "accidentally" bombarding a city, and accurately hitting the one supposedly safe evac route? :cmon:

Pretty sure Russia has a documented history of pulling this exact same poo poo before.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

So my mom just called me. She’s a 71 year old progressive Democrat and she called me to tell me:

“I wish we would just set up a no-fly-zone already. If we have to go to war with Russia we might as well do it before your son and your brother’s son are military age.”

My reply was, “I prefer that we don’t all die in a nuclear holocaust if that’s okay…”

To which she responded, “meh, I am not that worried about it. Probably because I am closer to dying than you are.”

This phone call was probably the most concerning thing I’ve encountered since the was started. :tif:
Your mom is correct.

Alchenar posted:

e: who knew that starting a war would negatively impact people's perception of your country!
Oh no, what are you gonna do asssholes?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Dugin is an insane dipshit, like if Steve Bannon had a free reign for over a decade to just dream up the dumbest nationalist horseshit possible.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Alchenar posted:

You know how when you’re not logged in to this dead comedy forum certain words are replaced? I sincerely hope war/special military operation has been added to that list.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Had similar conversations with my mom, who also asked me if I was thinking about signing up as a foreign volunteer.

Boomers, man.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Discendo Vox posted:

The letter is appealing to the president of the university. It's also not just talking about his youtube video- it's coming from current students, referring to claims from him in his classes and questions about his funding sources. Without a big derail, I'll say that it is very doable for well-moneyed figures (I'm familiar with it in industry) to set up professors to legitimize themselves in the academy.

The letter doesn't mention anything about his classes, just his lecture video on Youtube. It does mention funding at the end though which if the students want to know is fine by me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kamrat posted:

I don't get why they would even do this, shooting non-combatants is just a waste of ammo and it makes the remaining people fight even harder for their land.

For some reason fascists always think that terrorizing people who *can* shoot back wilk work out the same way as terrorizing people who can't.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

You think all those artillerymen are getting spooked and "accidentally" bombarding a city, and accurately hitting the one supposedly safe evac route? :cmon:

Pretty sure Russia has a documented history of pulling this exact same poo poo before.

The idea that a whole artillery unit just happened to miss the memo that there was a cease fire between this and this hour - it's just absurd apologia or wishful thinking trying to find a charitable chain of events

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I watched the video and didn't find anything that objectionable. Actually the only thing I titled my head over was when he said "America overthrows countries and makes them democratic" which had me roll my eyes. Yes I know he followed up with "because our government believes that those countries will then ally with us", but still.

It's been a bit that I watched it, so i might get some of his wording wrong, but a pretty glaring mistake he makes is that he conflates America and the EU as "the West". It's easy to declare Russia a regional power that's of no threat to America, and that the real focus of America should be on China. But Russia and Ukraine are very much an existential issue to Europe. Either Europe expands democracy East, or Russia expands authoritarianism West. It's been the assumption that Europe can afford to be patient, eventually Russia would acculturate, and Ukraine could serve as a bridge between them in the meantime. Putin has categorically taken that option of the table, as long as he and his clique remain in power. Europe really, really can't ignore that.

Mearsheimer seems to think America can afford to ignore Russia and abandon Europe, in order to focus on China.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

The idea that a whole artillery unit just happened to miss the memo that there was a cease fire between this and this hour - it's just absurd apologia or wishful thinking trying to find a charitable chain of events

They presumably also missed the memo about only performing precision strikes against military targets, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The letter doesn't mention anything about his classes, just his lecture video on Youtube. It does mention funding at the end though which if the students want to know is fine by me.

You may be missing part of it, there's an image that begins "as recently as a month ago" that talks about his classroom statements.

Just for broader reference, the example I was thinking of was TJ Kaptchuk; I don't remember who I tracked down that had set him in place (and they were a proxy), but he's undermined the medical profession for years and years from his seat.