Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cant cook creole bream posted:

Are debit cards commonly used in Russia? In Germany, a really small subset of people actually uses a credit card, because it gives you pretty much the same options as your regular bank card. The only reason that I have one is the fact that it can be easier for international payments like for example to some weird online forum which demands an entry fee. Being unable to use a credit card here would be inconvenient for many, but hardly world changing.
Then again, on the whole, Germans prefer good old cash anyway.

Americans call any sort of wallet sized card a "credit card", you can buy like, tiny wallet sized lockpick sets called a credit card lockpick set because they fit in a credit card sized rectangle. Visa and Mastercard manage all sorts of cards, but when US people talk about it they just call whatever "a credit card". If they saw you in germany with a bank card they would say "your credit card" when talking about it unless being intentionally specific. People in this thread talking about "credit cards" mean all the sorts of cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Sir John Falstaff posted:

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1500238754438594564

There's a remaining 26% who are someone else, but I don't know how many of the others are domestic or foreign ones that will stick around (also not entirely sure what the definition of "payment transaction" is for this purpose--credit card payments? something broader?).

Of the remaining 26% I would guess a significant portion are… cash transactions. Those count too.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Huh. To be honest I seem to have some gap in my knowledge about electronic pay.

KillHour posted:

Do you not get points for paying with credit?
Sure, depending on the provider. and conditions But that's not such a huge incentive. It's basically on the level of loyalty programs for stores and such which plenty of people skip. I surely wouldn't do all my payments by credit card just to collect reward points.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Of the remaining 26% I would guess a significant portion are… cash transactions. Those count too.

That's what I was wondering, yeah. If it includes cash, etc., then they're even more boned.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's been a bit that I watched it, so i might get some of his wording wrong, but a pretty glaring mistake he makes is that he conflates America and the EU as "the West". It's easy to declare Russia a regional power that's of no threat to America, and that the real focus of America should be on China. But Russia and Ukraine are very much an existential issue to Europe. Either Europe expands democracy East, or Russia expands authoritarianism West. It's been the assumption that Europe can afford to be patient, eventually Russia would acculturate, and Ukraine could serve as a bridge between them in the meantime. Putin has categorically taken that option of the table, as long as he and his clique remain in power. Europe really, really can't ignore that.

Mearsheimer seems to think America can afford to ignore Russia and abandon Europe, in order to focus on China.

The notable thing about Mearsheimer is he is basically anti-American exceptionalism. Not pro-Russia. He wants the US to succeed because he lives there, and believes that it is fundamentally no different than other states it terms of how it behaves. I think that's in general a good take away, even if a lot of his general theory is incorrect and some, like Ukraine, is flagrantly wrong.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

Curious what percentage of transactions use credit/debit. A lot of countries are still mostly cash based (looking at you Japan), but I have no idea what Russia's deal is.

EDIT: For non-Americans' context, I'd bet the majority of Americans rarely use cash anymore. I probably have paid for something in cash maybe once or twice in the past six months.

According to a random site I found on google, 30% of transactions in Russia were with cash in 2019

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

KillHour posted:

Do you not get points for paying with credit?

In the US, the credit card company takes a ridiculously huge cut in merchant fees. Then they have all kinds of programs to kick part of these back to the consumer in "points" to compete with each other.

In the EU, the fees paid for credit card transactions are capped at 0.3% by law. Not much room for weird kickback schemes.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's a remaining 26% who are someone else, but I don't know how many of the others are domestic or foreign ones that will stick around (also not entirely sure what the definition of "payment transaction" is for this purpose--credit card payments? something broader?).

Thom12255 posted:

Debit cards are still a Visa or Mastercard/other. They're the ones that actually handle the transaction between the merchant and your bank account.

So this is where the legitimate, Great Depression style bank runs start right? Not just the large lines we saw but full-on panic? Three-quarters of Russians can only buy things with cash now. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding - and that's possible because I know nothing about economics - it's really hard for me to fully process how big this is. And not only that, but would it mess up bank transfers too? I mean getting your paycheque, paying bills, whatever, this is crazy.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

That's what I was wondering, yeah. If it includes cash, etc., then they're even more boned.

Those statistics likely share the same source as this:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1116580/payment-card-scheme-market-share-in-europe-by-country/

So that's specifically the percentage of payment cards, not including cash or other alternatives

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
What will be the standard medium of barter once the Rubel is a foggy memory and electronic payments are done for? Potatoes, vodka, or cigarettes?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

According to a very cursory google search, the popular e-payment methods in Russia are:

Visa
Mastercard
YooMoney
Qiwi wallet
MIR
e-Wallets
WebMoney
PayPal
Telegram payments

I couldn't find a percentage breakdown.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 6, 2022

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The rest is krysha.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Canada’s debit cards don’t use Visa or Mastercard, outside of specific cards set up that way. I don’t think we’re the only country set up with these inter-bank solutions either… though it doesn’t sound like Russia has it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

So this is where the legitimate, Great Depression style bank runs start right? Not just the large lines we saw but full-on panic? Three-quarters of Russians can only buy things with cash now. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding - and that's possible because I know nothing about economics - it's really hard for me to fully process how big this is. And not only that, but would it mess up bank transfers too? I mean getting your paycheque, paying bills, whatever, this is crazy.

There’s a domestic card system, and other domestic payment systems. This is a bad development for them, but far from end of the world.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fuctifino posted:

According to a very cursory google search, the popular payment methods in Russia are:

Telegram payments

Telegram as in the internet company or literal telegrams?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Is the last part real? If so please link it. It'll it's part of the article it may be a translate error also

My quote was from Sphere, because there's a scene where Dustin Hoffman's character admits to a fellow scientist that he basically made up the super important First Contact protocol because the government offered him big bucks and he needed the money.

In this case, the whistle-blowing FSB analyst all but admits that the analysis Putin based his decision to start a war on was all but him writing whatever his boss wanted to hear because he wanted to get back to real work, not figuring out the details of some pie-in-the-sky fictional scenario that someone higher up dreamed up. Putin and his inner circle were keeping things so close to their chest that no one, not the soldiers, not the economists, not even the FSB analysts, knew this was really going to happen.

quote:

you are asked (conditionally) to calculate the possibility of human rights protection in different conditions, including the attack of prisons by meteorites. You specify about meteorites, they tell you - this is so, reinsurance for calculations, nothing like this will happen. You understand that the report will be just for show, but you need to write in a victorious style so that there are no questions, they say, why do you have so many problems, did you really work badly. In general, a report is being written that when a meteorite falls, we have everything to eliminate the consequences, we are great, everything is fine. And you concentrate on tasks that are real - we don’t have enough strength anyway. And then suddenly they really throw meteorites and expect that everything will be according to your analytics, which was written from the bulldozer.

Maybe some Russian speaker can translate this paragraph better and clarify what "written from the bulldozer" means, but I take it as "completely made up".

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

That's not really true, they're just walling off Russian transactions from the rest of the world:

Edit: Mastercard said the same thing in their press release:
https://www.mastercard.com/news/press/2022/march/mastercard-statement-on-suspension-of-russian-operations/

kemikalkadet fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 6, 2022

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Jordan7hm posted:

Canada’s debit cards don’t use Visa or Mastercard, outside of specific cards set up that way. I don’t think we’re the only country set up with these inter-bank solutions either… though it doesn’t sound like Russia has it.

The only comparable system to Canada's Interac network was France's Carte Bleue system, which was hosed over by Visa, shortly before they took a similar run at Interac in 2010. Canada and France were the last countries outside their global cartel monopoly on domestic transactions.

There's basically no alternative to those two.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The big thing to take in on this is if the credit card industry is pulling out it is because they see massive default to be imminent. Even in a bad economy they can make money generally. Them cutting Russia off means that there is no hope to make any money there.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

kemikalkadet posted:

That's not really true, they're just walling off Russian transactions from the rest of the world:

Ah, significantly less serious then - still turbofucking any foreigners in Russia or Russians abroad though. This is really going to suck for them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

kemikalkadet posted:

Okay, that is a lot less significant. Really sucks for Russians abroad and foreigners in Russia though.
Edit: I came up with this super original hot take on my own and didn't just copy the idea of the previous poster. Kind of weird how similar that phrasing ended up.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 6, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hannibal Rex posted:

My quote was from Sphere, because there's a scene where Dustin Hoffman's character admits to a fellow scientist that he basically made up the super important First Contact protocol because the government offered him big bucks and he needed the money.

In this case, the whistle-blowing FSB analyst all but admits that the analysis Putin based his decision to start a war on was all but him writing whatever his boss wanted to hear because he wanted to get back to real work, not figuring out the details of some pie-in-the-sky fictional scenario that someone higher up dreamed up. Putin and his inner circle were keeping things so close to their chest that no one, not the soldiers, not the economists, not even the FSB analysts, knew this was really going to happen.

Maybe some Russian speaker can translate this paragraph better and clarify what "written from the bulldozer" means, but I take it as "completely made up".
So you're saying most of the anonymous FSB tip was bunk.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Telegram as in the internet company or literal telegrams?

The app.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Grouchio posted:

It's someone trying to cover his rear end because his lazy analysis has started a war that'll ruin his country.

Perfectly believable.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

quarantinethepast posted:

The idea being that Russia is so weak that it can't even win against one of the poorest countries in Europe that is right on its front door. Nationalists (or some leftists) may argue that if Russia can't win this, then they can't win anything and we don't need to strengthen NATO. Of course you could counter saying who wants to even have the chance of suffering a war in the first place.
The problem is that RUS was willing to try it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/econinbricks/status/1500191526927880196?s=20&t=qkG6P0uPkORrT8IJMEcTNg

Shell never fails to disappoint again

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Not the whistleblowing - the analysis Putin & Co ordered to decide whether or not they could afford to start a war in Europe.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Firing up the domestic audience. Well produced in a simplistic way.

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1500231126606098434

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

the popes toes posted:

We are not the fascists. We are the capitalistic ultranationalists!

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

kemikalkadet posted:

Edit: Mastercard said the same thing in their press release:
https://www.mastercard.com/news/press/2022/march/mastercard-statement-on-suspension-of-russian-operations/

Ah, ok--the BNO tweet seems rather misleading, then. Still going to cause a lot of problems, though--probably going to be harder to buy off AliExpress, for one.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Take note that BNO is not a real news/wire service - it’s literally a news account started on Twitter by some Dutch dude a few years ago.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

the popes toes posted:

A significant subset of those cooped up people screaming nationalistic phrases will find they have some sympthoms of a sickness within the next few weeks.

Seriously, Covid is still a thing and the vaccination effort in Russia is not that significant. Couldn't they do this bullshit propaganda outside?

I do wonder how significant Covid is in the battle zone. On the one hand there seem to be more pressing issues, on the other hand it might completely paralyze a squad of soldiers if they are unlucky and tend to sleep in the same room.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 6, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

We are not the fascists. We are the capitalistic ultranationalists!

Z must be so smug to V right now.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The people who are hosed are middle class Russians who escaped from the country in the past few days and did not get an account in Georgian or Armenian bank yet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
From that translated letter:

Is this passage implying that the analysts are pressured to downplay problems?

As in some officer asks a guy to come up with scenarios in the case of x happening, and the guy doing the analysis reports only the positive aspects (or massively downplays the negatives) because he knows that the officer’s higher ups only wants to hear good news?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Can someone make a mod for World War Z: Aftermath that turns all the Zombos into conscripts?
Since they've coopted the Z.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

A significant subset of those cooped up people screaming nationalistic phrases will find they have some sympthoms of a sickness within the next few weeks.

Seriously, Covid is still a thing and the vaccination effort in Russia is not that significant. Couldn't they do this bullshit propaganda outside?

I'm sure, for safety, this is a naZi covid pod group and they have been living together doing group racisms for a long time. Not to worry overmuch.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

And PayPal cut services earlier today as well, which is going to completely gently caress over a lot of independent artists. I do cross stitching and a lot of very talented pattern designers are in Russia* and use PayPal to sell. It is the right thing to do, just sucks that it has to be done and it is a really strange way to see sanctions pop up in my personal life.

There are also a lot of really talented pattern designers in Ukraine. I'm currently working on something designed by a person in Dnipro:

PayPal confirmation:

https://twitter.com/FedorovMykhailo/status/1500022660952203266

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Well, as of last night, AirBnB was still active there and I used PayPal for it so I dunno.

e: dumb me, I used it for Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

From that translated letter:

Is this passage implying that the analysts are pressured to downplay problems?

As in some officer asks a guy to come up with scenarios in the case of x happening, and the guy doing the analysis reports only the positive aspects (or massively downplays the negatives) because he knows that the officer’s higher ups only wants to hear good news?

That seems to be the implication. His job is to write reports about how the country is prepared to deal with various situations. He claims that they're not allowed to tell the truth - the reports must always state that the country is gloriously prepared to deal with whatever emergency with aplomb. Thus the higher-ups wouldn't have to do anything to prepare for the potential problems.

The preparation for the war was handled the same way - simply telling the brass what they wanted to hear, regardless of reality.