Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

I always wondered why Americans were so excited to have CC companies steal their money in exchange for some stupid prizes and points.
Stores bake in the exorbitant merchant fees into their prices. Consumers pay those prices regardless of their payment method. It's just a nice little bonus profit for the retailer if someone happens to pay cash.

From the consumer viewpoint, if you pay off your credit card bill every month, credit card points programs are a way of recapturing a little bit of the the general raised price level. Without the programs, that money is just lost entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I believe the segment you are thinking of is when he said that as time goes on more focus is going to be put on China which is 100% correct. Russia is a dying and decaying power that is losing influence as each day passes. The invasion of Ukraine isn't them flexing their power, it's a death throes. The fact that Ukraine has held Russia off to this degree is further proof of that. Meanwhile China is a rising superstar that already has the highest GDP PPP in the world and with a larger population than the U.S., EU, and Russia combined it has a lot more room to grow. IIRC there was a post today stating that China increased it's military budget by 7% this year and that seems to be a trend.

He never stated in the video to take focus off Russia completely, but that in the future new powers will rise and world politics will gradually be something closer to a few existing great powers rather than the single sole hyperpower world we have today.

Russia has been a dying and decaying power for I dunno, several hundred years. They have gone through revolutions, complete societal overturns and catastrophic military and strategical defeats like few times a century AT LEAST.

But Russia and Russians are still there. Any rumours of their death etc.

Edit: This just means that European powers, whatever they might be, have paid, are paying and will pay attention to Russia.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Chalks posted:

Looks like crowd control/riot equipment? A symptom of their over-optimistic planning I guess - I wonder how much of their supply convoys contain equipment that's completely useless at this stage of the conflict.

I love the idea that in their timeline this stuff was supposed to go to Kiev to keep control of singular remaining strugglers as the new puppet president gets sworn in by tomorrow.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also “meteorites?” Are Russian missiles/artillery/shells called meteorites and the translation just translated it literally?

I think it's just a metaphor for low probability/high impact events, it's pretty much a trope in risk analysis in my experience.
It's usually used as an extreme to illustrate that there's a threshold of low probability scenarios that you just exclude and don't plan for, because as probability approches zero the number of theoretical scenarios approches infinity.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

the popes toes posted:

Another convoy abandonment. Out in the middle of nowhere. Where do these abandoners go?

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1500206061403443203?cxt=HHwWhsC4vdzd5tEpAAAA

Under the snow. At the 1:00 minute mark he says that you can make out the shape and see the fingers of a corpse and that it would smell if it wasn't that cold.

There was another video earlier this evening from the mayor of Nikolaev (iirc) who was a bit giddy about the city being retaken and mentioned that escaped soldiers are coming out the woods to ask residents for food and that people should feed them and report them to UAF or atempt a citizen's arrest.

edit: went back and doublechecked, it's at 1:20

https://twitter.com/CurrentTimeTv/status/1500133878505353216?s=20&t=Eu3se350PYlyHfh2A_szdQ

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 6, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

a podcast for cats posted:

Under the snow. At the 1:00 minute mark he says that you can make out the shape and see the fingers of a corpse and that it would smell if it wasn't that cold.

There was another video earlier this evening from the mayor of Nikolaev (iirc) who was a bit giddy about the city being retaken and mentioned that escaped soldiers are coming out the woods to ask residents for food and that people should feed them and report them to UAF or atempt a citizen's arrest.

Hahahahahaha a citizens arrest on an enemy combatant. What a loving concept. Lol

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Pravda.com (an anti-Putin site) is claiming that Putin said in a recent address that:

"the current government in Kyiv has to realise that if they continue to behave like this, they will endanger the future of Ukraine’s statehood. And if this happens it will be entirely their responsibility."

and I want to know if this quote is true or complete BS. Not that I'd want to defend that rear end in a top hat in any way, but it sounds a little too mask-off to be true and there's a lot of bullshit claims flying around. And if he really did say that I'd like to know the exact source.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Another for convoy nerds. I saw no corpses and nobody uses the Ivan word

:nms: https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1500258525750206465?cxt=HHwWgoC9qcbL_tEpAAAA

the popes toes fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 6, 2022

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Sucrose posted:

Pravda.com (an anti-Putin site) is claiming that Putin said in a recent address that:

"the current government in Kyiv has to realise that if they continue to behave like this, they will endanger the future of Ukraine’s statehood. And if this happens it will be entirely their responsibility."

and I want to know if this quote is true or complete BS. Not that I'd want to defend that rear end in a top hat in any way, but it sounds a little too mask-off to be true and there's a lot of bullshit claims flying around. And if he really did say that I'd like to know the exact source.

It's from the interview where he sits at a table with some women (because it's International Women's day soon).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So is there going to be significant famine soon, like that FSB letter mentioned but didn't elaborate on? Wheat is up 40% already and perhaps Hungary is just the first to ban grain exports....

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Guess I'll be buying my smokes at a different gas station. Which yeah isn't much but it's about all I can do.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Dante posted:

It's from the interview where he sits at a table with some women (because it's International Women's day soon).

Do you have any more specifics? I'm trying to find it.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Sucrose posted:

I think it's the Putin video where he was talking with Aeroflot stewardesses.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

the popes toes posted:

Another convoy abandonment. Out in the middle of nowhere. Where do these abandoners go?

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1500206061403443203?cxt=HHwWhsC4vdzd5tEpAAAA
:nms: that bud

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

the popes toes posted:

These ones probably legged it to Russia, doable in a single afternoon.

Interestingly there was apparently a lot of riot police gear in the convoy. Did OMON decide that they are not interested if the people they are facing is capable of fighting back?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

the popes toes posted:

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1500258525750206465?cxt=HHwWgoC9qcbL_tEpAAAA

I think this one is not new, it's from the 26th, but the video is taken when travelling in the other direction.

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1497570462464942086?s=20&t=3Qh6VccRYc38uH4uBvAZSA

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

But why? I'm happy to otherwise, but what would be the reason for pre-destroyed vehicles? Did you see something I didn't? If so, I apologize.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Sucrose posted:

Here I think you can find it true the various twitters linked in the article. But it was from this weird meeting.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/aeroflot/putin-visits-aeroflot-training-centre-and-calls-western-sanctions-akin-to-a-declaration-of-war/

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

the popes toes posted:

Goddamn. Some of the trucks in the big clump are facing the opposite direction. They panicked and tried to get away, but it was too late.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 6, 2022

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/Orxan_012/status/1500192529215631365?cxt=HHwWisC96YXK4NEpAAAA

Russian "reinforcements".

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Sucrose posted:

It's farcical, so entirely in character with the russian line.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

This guy sums up what that means:

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1500245896176578561?cxt=HHwWgsC91bTs-NEpAAAA

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So the Ukrainian Army is going to capture Moscow when?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

the popes toes posted:

But why? I'm happy to otherwise, but what would be the reason for pre-destroyed vehicles? Did you see something I didn't? If so, I apologize.

There were bodies.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

There were bodies.

Ah, I didn't see any. Thanks. I'm sorry. It bothers me as well.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

And they could otherwise blend in with the Ukrainians on the ground, except for the giant Z on the side. Insert classic 30 Rock gif here.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Ah, I found it. He said it in an interview on Russian TV just today:

"“The current [Ukrainian] leadership needs to understand that if they continue doing what they are doing, they put under question the future of Ukrainian statehood. And if that happens, it will be entirely on their conscience,” Putin added. "

Mask-off. Mask completely off. Ah yes, if the Ukrainian leadership continues doing what they're doing, Putin will simply be forced to annex Ukraine. What a loving douchebag.

Also, he's delusional. It says at lot that he was saying this just today. How does he possibly still think that he can conquer all of Ukraine?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Hand Row posted:

The merchants are the ones who pay the fees unless you are arguing the merchant is raising their prices accordingly. Besides rewards the fraud and security protections of a cc makes it much better to use as well. If you get bogus charges it’s vastly easier dealing with a CC vs debit.

The merchants do raise prices accordingly. Thus, the only way to get ahead is to use a card with some sort of reward, because you are paying for them whether you use them or not.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

TOOT BOOT posted:

So is there going to be significant famine soon, like that FSB letter mentioned but didn't elaborate on? Wheat is up 40% already and perhaps Hungary is just the first to ban grain exports....

I've been seeing concern like this from different places recently, it seems to be something of real concern due to a lot of factors coming together at once. Could be in for some real trouble worldwide.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 6, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russian coup attempt will happen in a week or so.

On Saturday residents flooded the main square in the city of Kherson and protested peacefully against the occupation. They waved Ukrainian flags and even hijacked a Russian armoured personnel carrier, taking it for a spin, to loud applause

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

That's Decepticons, you'll shiver in fear when you see their true form!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Sucrose posted:

Ah, I found it. He said it in an interview on Russian TV just today:

"“The current [Ukrainian] leadership needs to understand that if they continue doing what they are doing, they put under question the future of Ukrainian statehood. And if that happens, it will be entirely on their conscience,” Putin added. "

Mask-off. Mask completely off. Ah yes, if the Ukrainian leadership continues doing what they're doing, Putin will simply be forced to annex Ukraine. What a loving douchebag.

I mean, considering the state of the Russian Armed Forces, it’s really hard for anyone, let alone Ukraine, to take that threat seriously.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trump posted:

That's Decepticons, you'll shiver in fear when you see their true form!

Their true form is two blackened axles on the ground next to a uzbeki body.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

Stores bake in the exorbitant merchant fees into their prices. Consumers pay those prices regardless of their payment method. It's just a nice little bonus profit for the retailer if someone happens to pay cash.

From the consumer viewpoint, if you pay off your credit card bill every month, credit card points programs are a way of recapturing a little bit of the the general raised price level. Without the programs, that money is just lost entirely.

It depends. Different cards have different merchant fees, and it's usually the highest end cards with the most benefits that have the highest merchant fees. Getting an effective 5% or more back on purchases is not uncommon. If you have, say, an Amex Platinum or CSR and you use it frequently at the places with the best rewards, you could easily be getting thousands / year back.*

*Offer only valid for rich people and people who spend their company's money for a living

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Rather high Russian tank casualties given most were snipes? Anyway, that's a lot of nuts. Abut two Cavalry Regiments?

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1500217320702189576?cxt=HHwWkIC95Yzt69EpAAAA

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Those blue Zils will still be running after the war.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

So the Ukrainian Army is going to capture Moscow when?

If I was the Donbass insurgents, I'd be concerned about losing all those 'gains'

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
:nms:
https://twitter.com/Kyruer/status/1500256967511711744?cxt=HHwWgIC5xezw_dEpAAAA

Seems Ukrainians have put their laser guided ATGMs into use.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I always wondered why Americans were so excited to have CC companies steal their money in exchange for some stupid prizes and points.

The credit card companies don’t steal anything if you pay off the statement every month. It’s a free loan, you get points but the big thing is that most credit cards that don’t suck add additional warranty.

Also, if someone rips you off it’s the credit card companies problem, not yours. I got back nearly $500 after an event got cancelled last minute and the organizer declared bankruptcy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russian coup attempt will happen in a week or so.

Where? Says who?