Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Kopitar
May 21, 2009
Well gently caress, looks who's back

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/freedom-convoys-taking-to-hwy-401-402-for-large-scale-protest-saturday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What are they even protesting? All the provincially mandated health restrictions have ended or are ending this month.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

An apology for the last two years, and for Jason Kenny to be made President of Canada.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

infernal machines posted:

What are they even protesting? All the provincially mandated health restrictions have ended or are ending this month.

They're protesting that most people's attention is no longer on them

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

There was a crowd of them on the Hill today, too. Couple hundred at best. The new outrage is that the PPS told them their "gently caress Trudeau" flags violate the General Rules of Use of Parliament Hill, which state signs cannot be offensive, obscene or promote hatred. Naturally, this means Trudeau is personally banning dissenting speech and not, you know, the general rules of use that have been in place for protests for who knows how long.

So now you might see the phrase "CK Trudeau" start to show up in chud circles. It's how Twitter picked up the trend with people writing "F-maple leaf emoji-CK Trudeau."

I wonder if some enterprising screen printers are making "CK Trudeau" flags and clothing items now.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ColdBlooded posted:

They're protesting that most people's attention is no longer on them

Narcissism is as Narcissism does.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Pierre Poilievre vows to threaten our chance to do anything about climate change
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sask-visit-pierre-poilievre-1.6373266

quote:

Federal Conservative leadership candidate Pierre Poilievre stressed his commitment to repealing three pieces of legislation that the Liberal government enacted with the goal of combating climate change during a visit to Saskatchewan on Friday.

"Right now, we have anti-energy laws in this country that are preventing people from harvesting our resources and bringing them responsibly to market," Poilievre said during a news conference at Brandt Tractor in Regina.

Along with a commitment to repealing Bill C-69, the nation's current environmental assessment law, and Bill C-48, a bill prohibiting oil tankers of a certain size docking along B.C.'s north coast, Poilievre said he'd move to scrap the federal carbon pricing scheme.

It's also important to let the private sector just try things out and see what works.

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Syfe posted:

Pierre Poilievre vows to threaten our chance to do anything about climate change
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sask-visit-pierre-poilievre-1.6373266

It's also important to let the private sector just try things out and see what works.

If Poilievre becomes PM I'm leaving the country.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Poilievre is not going to become Prime Minister.

Poilievre is not even going to win the CPC leadership. Poilievre is a gasbag who gets a lot of press because he never shuts up, not because he's a serious candidate for leadership.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah I have no real concern that he's got a chance of being PM, he's just a bloviating loud idiot.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/as-provinces-lift-mandates-federal-officials-say-mask-wearing-a-personal-choice-1.5807051

quote:

Deputy chief public health officer Dr. Howard Njoo made the comments during a Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) press conference on Friday, saying that while “clearly mask-wearing is a well-tested, tried and true personal protective practice,” it is not a mandatory requirement across the country and is “a personal choice under one’s individual risk assessment.”

Ontario plans to remove its mask mandate at the end of March, while provinces like Saskatchewan and Alberta have already done away with mandatory masking. Quebec said it will ease its masking requirements beginning in April.

I feel that this is about not having employers tell employees they have to stop wearing masks, by officially saying it's a personal choice at this point, they can at least have the people who want to stay masked not threatened by being forced to stop because their employer, teacher, etc. wants masks gone.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 6, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Poilievre is not even going to win the CPC leadership. Poilievre is a gasbag who gets a lot of press because he never shuts up, not because he's a serious candidate for leadership.

We were an anime convention and die roll away from Prime Minister Maxime Bernier so let's not rule anything out just yet.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

He's a piece of poo poo but the front-runner in all the polls for Con leadership (well, behind "None of these" and "Don't know" LOL)

Edit: This is from a month ago and I suspect he got a bump since from being so prominent in the stupid convoy.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Who is a serious candidate for leadership?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Conservative_Party_of_Canada_leadership_election#Declared
Expressed interest:
Scott Aitchison Nobody one term MP with "a campaign focused around character and tone"?
Leona Alleslev former liberal who crossed the floor and lost her seat 6 months ago?
Roman Baber Ontario MPP?
Patrick Brown, sex scandal failure?
Jean Charest, maybe if Harper weren't going to do everything possible to sabotage his campaign
Michael Chong, 5th place in 2017. I guess his resume is about on par with Poilievre, but seems less likely to appeal to the CPC base.
Vincenzo Guzzo No idea who this guy is
Tasha Kheiriddin No idea who she is
Leslyn Lewis, LOL

Potential
Peter MacKay,
Caroline Mulroney,
Michelle Rempel Garner,

I guess all three of these might stand a slightly better chance than Poilievre but I wouldn't make a definitive statement on it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

HackensackBackpack posted:

There was a crowd of them on the Hill today, too.

There was a few dozen in my sleepy town too, but they were vastly outmatched by the hundreds at the pro-Ukraine demonstration.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

“Someone else” and “None of these” seems redundant so that’s the clear #2.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

(well, behind "None of these" and "Don't know" LOL)

Yeah, this is the thing.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Conservative_Party_of_Canada_leadership_election#Declared
Expressed interest:
Scott Aitchison Nobody one term MP with "a campaign focused around character and tone"?
Leona Alleslev former liberal who crossed the floor and lost her seat 6 months ago?
Roman Baber Ontario MPP?
Jean Charest, maybe if Harper weren't going to do everything possible to sabotage his campaign
Michael Chong, 5th place in 2017. I guess his resume is about on par with Poilievre, but seems less likely to appeal to the CPC base.
Leslyn Lewis, LOL

Potential
Peter MacKay,
Caroline Mulroney,
Michelle Rempel Garner,

I guess all three of these might stand a slightly better chance than Poilievre but I wouldn't make a definitive statement on it.

It's an entire field of also-rans and perennial failures. But for Poilievre to win the entire party, collectively, would basically have to throw up their hands and just give up.

It's not literally impossible, but it's astonishingly unlikely the minute any other candidate declares. I would bet on it coming down to Charest and Stephen Harper in a Groucho mask before Poilievre.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 6, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
If Patrick Brown or Doug Ford can find an Alberta lieuftenant with some credibility to rep them out there they're a shoo-in to win. I don't know who that lieuftenant would be however.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Every Conservative leadership campaign is full of losers. People thought Patrick Brown was toast but he resurrected his career (not that Brampton mayor is a particularly strong position to move up the ladder from, but it's something).

However, I do feel strongly confident that this being a lovely timeline, the powers that be will be unable to resist the idea of a Mulroney-Trudeau failchild showdown.

e: alternative, Doug Ford resigns and wins CPC leadership against Caroline Mulroney; Ben Mulroney edges out Zach Paikin for OPC leader.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 6, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Is Ben Mulroney still hosting some z-tier celebrity gossip show on a cable-only network no one has thought about in 20 years?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Is Ben Mulroney still hosting some z-tier celebrity gossip show on a cable-only network no one has thought about in 20 years?

He left CTV last year to "develop scripted and unscripted projects." He's still a spokesperson for the CNIB.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Expressed interest:
Roman Baber Ontario MPP?
Leslyn Lewis, LOL

Potential
Peter MacKay,
Caroline Mulroney,
Michelle Rempel Garner,

Lol guzzo owns the Guzzo chain of cinemas in Montreal.

Closely tied with the Saputo's and allegedly other types of ties that havent been proven hint hint

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. Pierre Poilievre is no Donald Trump.

We all know this country is just a low-rent United States, but come on now. The guy who is polling internally below "literally none of these people", who is only at the top of the list because he started telling people he was running for leadership before the knives were even in O'Tool, is very probably not going to win the party leadership because he is no one's choice at all.

I could lob a potted plant into the convention hall the day of with the name "Ford" sharpied on it, and it would get more votes than that guy.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 6, 2022

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if he does succeed in getting the leadership he also has tons of old media appearances his opponents can dredge up where hes acting like the slimiest slimeball that ever slimed

Development
Jun 2, 2016

quebec green party having a normal one :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/AlexTyrrellPVQ/status/1499855566335885319?s=20&t=iAiN04eVAUMF_W1-hWevZA

EMay wants nothing to do with it #appalling
https://twitter.com/ElizabethMay/status/1500288654538805250?s=20&t=iAiN04eVAUMF_W1-hWevZA

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Canada also doesn't have the gerrymandering and voter suppression that they do in the American south.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Mad Hamish posted:

Canada also doesn't have the gerrymandering and voter suppression that they do in the American south.

True, there's no way a party could form government here with like 20% of the eligible vote.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HackensackBackpack posted:

He left CTV last year to "develop scripted and unscripted projects." He's still a spokesperson for the CNIB.

Wasn’t that part of his wife being super racist or something?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Arivia posted:

Wasn’t that part of his wife being super racist or something?
I don’t know if he still is but he’s definitely been super creepy to women in the past. My sisters and their friends have had a few interactions with him.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Mad Hamish posted:

The maximum number of electoral votes that could possibly be affected by gerrymandering is five (out of 538), none of which are in the South.

The actual point of the post you were replying to is that Trump voters had a tendency to lie to pollsters.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol "CK TRUDEAU" is trending on Twitter right now because right-wingers keep posting stuff like F*CK TRUDEAU because they don't wanna type a full-on swear word.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The CPC leadership race seems advantage more moderate candidates than fringe nutjobs. Maxime Bernier's wasn't full on PPC dipshit back when he lost to Scheer and his most controversial opinion at the time was that the dairy board should be eliminated and he still lost. Leslyn Lewis and What's-his-face were easily eliminated in the first two rounds leaving O'Toole and MacKay. I'm not really convinced someone with like 15 years of being hated by nearly everyone, including his own party, like Pollievre really has much of a shot. Unless the field is reeeeally dire.

They changed the rules a bit after the last leadership race but the votes are still roughly proportional with population. That kinda rewards candidates with broader appeal or at least ones that aren't actively hated very much.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Yes but with the caveat of the insane caucus. They tossed O'Toole because he wasn't evil enough

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I'm surprised Harper wasn't included in that list.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes but with the caveat of the insane caucus. They tossed O'Toole because he wasn't evil enough

A large part of caucus voted to turf him largely cause he was a loser. Also the CPC membership votes for the leader so what caucus thinks only matters in an indirect sense, and they're probably going to be very divided in this upcoming race.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

leftist heap posted:

The CPC leadership race seems advantage more moderate candidates than fringe nutjobs. Maxime Bernier's wasn't full on PPC dipshit back when he lost to Scheer and his most controversial opinion at the time was that the dairy board should be eliminated and he still lost. Leslyn Lewis and What's-his-face were easily eliminated in the first two rounds leaving O'Toole and MacKay. I'm not really convinced someone with like 15 years of being hated by nearly everyone, including his own party, like Pollievre really has much of a shot. Unless the field is reeeeally dire.

They changed the rules a bit after the last leadership race but the votes are still roughly proportional with population. That kinda rewards candidates with broader appeal or at least ones that aren't actively hated very much.

All the cpc people i know (not many) loving love poilievre. Who doesn't like him in the party? MPs? O'toole won because rode the vote splitting between mackay and leslyn lewis. Maybe that will happen again, idk. Leadership conventions can lead to weird outcomes. It's unpredictable most of the time.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Poilievre is a master shitposter but that's what a lot of conservatives are into these days. He's going to meme his way to CPC leader.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

so he's looked up to him for a long time?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

RBC posted:

All the cpc people i know (not many) loving love poilievre. Who doesn't like him in the party? MPs? O'toole won because rode the vote splitting between mackay and leslyn lewis. Maybe that will happen again, idk. Leadership conventions can lead to weird outcomes. It's unpredictable most of the time.

It's quieted down a bit post-Harper but there's plenty of quotes out there dragging the guy during the Harper years. I tried to go looking but most poo poo is just buried by recent news and :effort:

How did Mackay and Lewis split votes in an instant runoff election?

Like, this is kinda what I'm getting at, being people's 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. choice has been a big factor in the last two races and an extremely polarizing guy is gonna be disadvantaged. Someone like Michelle Rempel Garner seems way more likely to pick up later round points.

leftist heap fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm surprised Harper wasn't included in that list.

Pretty sure Harper is Palpatine in this scenario.