Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Similarly, something about this chapter reminded me of AIVAS from the Dragonriders of Pern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I suppose it値l be explained next chapter, but I知 not following this sudden about-face at all. Senkuu must have masterful negotiation skills to make an enemy out of someone who was trying to give humanity eternal life.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I suppose it値l be explained next chapter, but I知 not following this sudden about-face at all. Senkuu must have masterful negotiation skills to make an enemy out of someone who was trying to give humanity eternal life.

It sounds like the Medusas at large felt humans were just too stupid and aren't bothering, they just don't Get Humans. Senku's arguments as a whole just weren't enough to convince them it was worth doing; if anything it was probably the final nail in the coffin they'd been building over the course of the comic.

but he got through to one, who is on his wave length even if it doesnt fully understand

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Us getting on the same wavelength as them is what started all of this!!!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Us getting on the same wavelength as them is what started all of this!!!

Dr Stone 2: Mama Mia Here We Go Again!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh man I didn't realize it was ending so soon.

This has been a fun ride, I'm glad I was here for the whole thing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This was so weird. Though, I at least can appreciate that the Medusa didn't suddenly be like "Oh, you're all cool people. Let's go be friends!" Instead they remain alien and detached.
I look forward to the final chapter.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Darth TNT posted:

I look forward to the final chapter.

Turns out they find a convenient robot body for the remaining medusa device in orbit on the way back to earth...

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Vengarr posted:

we proved to the medusae that we were too dumb to make more of them. they're a parasite. they need to be able to reproduce and we have a near zero chance of doing so. the fact that there was a 1 somewhere down that line of 0.0---% intrigued one (1) of that giant pile of medusae.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I know this wasn't some shonen battle manga, but it's still pretty funny that the big confrontation at the end of the series was basically an alien race calling humans dumb as they flew away.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Aurubin posted:

I know this wasn't some shonen battle manga, but it's still pretty funny that the big confrontation at the end of the series was basically an alien race calling humans dumb as they flew away.

legitimately the best part of the chapter it's so funny

you know they're just thinking 3000 years down the drain

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm looking forward to this mangaka's next work (or another team-up if it's a team), since this has been a really wild ride. I think you can take this science-y focus and apply it to a lot of different story scenarios and make it compelling, or maybe they'll come up with a new idea entirely. Bare minimum, I know they can tell a fun story and make it look pretty along the way, so that's plenty for me to want more.

Plus the life of a mangaka is such an insane gamble anyway (as Bakuman taught me) that I feel like one solid success will give them room to keep on getting fun manga published.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If you liked Inagaki's writing then check out his previous works: Eyeshield 21 (shonen sports - American football, drawn by Yusuke Murata) and Trillion Game (insane gambits to make a $1T company, drawn by Ryoichi Ikegami)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yep, I caught all of Eyeshield 21 and I've been really liking Trillion game.

I'll always remember the ~option pass~ being treated as basically the equivalent of Goku unveiling the Kaioken.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I haven't read it, but someone posted a few pages from one of Boichi's work in the manga panels thread that got me really interested in it.

Nebrilos posted:

Sorry. I've read this story a total of three times now. I know exactly what happens, so why does it still make me cry?

Source: Hotel, by Boichi

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Vengarr posted:

The Medusas are parasites, not to say they are thoroughly evil but they seem to give 0% poo poo about human life, as their only purpose is to improve and reproduce. The best outcome here for humans would have been a symbiotic relationship, but if that's not possible, the medusas loving off and even leaving a gift behind is a lot better than humanity being continuously experimented on with petrification blasts.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I haven't read it, but someone posted a few pages from one of Boichi's work in the manga panels thread that got me really interested in it.

It's been a while, but I remember reading Hotel when it came out, the first time I'd ever heard of Boichi, I really enjoyed it. It has enough similarities to Dr Stone to make me sure it wasn't a coincidence he ended up as the artist for this manga. The two people behind Dr Stone being the Hotel guy and the Eyeshield 21 was part of what got me reading this series in the first place.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Bah I HATE time travel.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Z=232. The Final Chapter.
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1012941
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-232/chapter/24104?action=read

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
That's a final tech tree for the ages alright.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Look carefully, skeleton!

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams
I'm glad they circled back at long last to answer the most important question of Dr. Stone: will Taiju finally ask Yuzuhira out?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I enjoy the high five filled victory lap.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Weird note to end the series on. I realize this comic has always had a tendency to focus on the fuzzy feel good low-consequences side of science, but I can't help but feel they're performing handwave action extra hard to ignore all the interesting fallout that makes the science-fiction prospect of time travel interesting in the first place, like how they'd be potentially be unmaking everyone who was born in the time since the the original stoning. I mean, if they're going to go the route of impossible science anyway, why not find a way to clone everybody who died or bring them forward in time instead? Then again, it's supposed to be one of those "IMAGINE ALL THE FUTURE ADVENTURES" ending where all those questions would get posed in hypothetical conversations... and there is something thematically sound about ending on a note of "onto the next project which has equally nightmarish and fantastical potential"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kinda abrupt? Boichi is such a good artist though. Those were really good color pages.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SKULL.GIF posted:

My face did CONTORTIONS when i saw that

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

SKULL.GIF posted:

?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

From Chapter 1. Look at third panel leftmost balloon.

What happened on March 6th, 2017?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

My face did CONTORTIONS when i saw that

:same:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

SKULL.GIF posted:

From Chapter 1. Look at third panel leftmost balloon.

goddamn

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Holy poo poo

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Goddamn and also lmao at Senku's original design.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I liked the ending, definitely didn't expect that but it makes sense to get access to super science and then have one final road map showing how science never stops.
although i'm thinking about taiju getting married every singel day for the next millennia until the project is done.

Also had a huge loving laugh at the AI core show up

sniper4625 posted:

Goddamn and also lmao at Senku's original design.

saaaaame he looks like an entirely different character

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SKULL.GIF posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who has no idea what the answer is. Was that when the first chapter was published?

edit: So it was. At first I looked at mangaplus and didn't realize there it's dated when the chapters were put online, not the original publishing date.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 6, 2022

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Sindai posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who has no idea what the answer is. Was that when the first chapter was published?

edit: So it was. At first I looked at mangaplus and didn't realize there it's dated when the chapters were put online, not the original publishing date.

Holy poo poo

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

remember the Byakuya side story?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

A solid ending, though I would've preferred a more classic "let's touch in on all the characters to see what they're up to" ending. That's a cliche ending at this point, but I've always enjoyed it, and I felt like some characters didn't get much at all in the finale when they did show up and quite a bit of the massive cast got left out entirely.

The final science project is absolutely on point though, so no complaints about that. And I like that the proposed goal of that shouldn't nullify the story that's been told up to this point, at least in theory.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xeno is the scientist of darkness because of titty bot

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Xeno is the scientist of darkness because of titty bot

Next week: In that [Other] timeline, where things still went wrong, [The AI Who Watches Above] finally makes her move...!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's thematically sound that the final science project they end the series on is easily the most ridiculously dangerous and irresponsible thing they could possibly even consider making. :allears: