Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Pro-Russia twitter account posted more pics of the supposed NATO laptop
https://twitter.com/ASBMilitary/status/1500505238507249664/photo/2

Why exactly would there be a laptop from an air force base in Germany that houses AWACS aircarft in Donetsk?

UA spend the last 8 years consulting with NATO to modernize their military?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

ZombieLenin posted:

Russian aircraft downed over Kharkov. :nms: because there was no ejection, this is clearly someone dying https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1500507275697528833?s=20&t=w7motwuvWTw6D3zUdCjPCQ

One of the other linked videos appears to be showing explosions below the aircraft immediately before missiles take it out, so it seems like it was on a bombing run and probably contributes to all the cheering from the Ukrainians when it blows up. I am no military expert but the huge explosion when the missiles hit makes me suspect it had more bombs, too.

I wonder if switching to using unguided bombs due to shortages, as has been suggested several times already, is requiring them to drop down low enough to be vulnerable to MANPADs which is apparently what took out the plane here (again, not a military expert, so it's just speculation).

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

How are a lot of these countries going to get the required personnel they need for their militaries when West European populations have been in decline and they’re adverse to immigration. Much of the benefits and reasons many Americans sign up for the US military are already provided for in the social safety net of these nations. A German isn’t gonna sign up to serve in the Bundeswehr for GI bill related benefits because it only costs them like 300 Euro to go to university.

You have plenty of impoverished flyover states and family military dynasties in the US to draw on recruits by comparison.
EU and UK are together over half a billion people, there's no danger of literally running out recruits.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Why exactly would there be a laptop from an air force base in Germany that houses AWACS aircarft in Donetsk?

As someone who works in IT, that laptop is literally ancient as hell. Probably was stolen a long time ago and someone decided to make it a prop. Would be funny for someone within their org to look up the asset# to determine its disposition.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

TheRat posted:

Digital Combat Simulator, and yeah I think that's the same clip. No idea who the old guy is or what the text says though.

I think the guy is Oleksandr Oksanchenko, a retired SU-27 pilot and trainer who returned to duty after the invasion and was shot down pretty promptly. There is a lot of cockpit GoPro footage of him from airshow performances.

https://theaviationist.com/2022/03/01/col-oksanchenko-shot-down/

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think portraying anyone who reflexively adopts a fascist viewpoint with full knowledge of Russia’s current leadership because Western media is insufficiently leftist as smart and savvy is unearned.

I don't think they're really smart. Just smart enough to be irritated with CNN. They aren't knowledgeable enough to adjust to a nuanced narrative, thats for sure. And its not because its "insufficiently leftists" its because its literally aesthetically and narratively repulsive. The news equivalent to a NASCAR pre-Race show.

Americans of Prime Posting Age grew up with that poo poo being used to justify genuinely atrocious stuff, from CNN specials on Iraqi WMDs to giving platforms for mil creeps to explain why a civilian train is actually a military target. I think its much more productive to look at how the media fails to prevent stuff than suppose that leftists really believe Russia is bringing the world revolution to Kyiv.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 6, 2022

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

PITT posted:

As someone who works in IT, that laptop is literally ancient as hell. Probably was stolen a long time ago and someone decided to make it a prop. Would be funny for someone within their org to look up the asset# to determine its disposition.

As a fellow IT I can confirm this too, its an extremely old laptop (although not literally as ancient as hell, which doesn't even exist).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ZombieLenin posted:

In the last instance economics underlies everything.

What about asteroid impacts?

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Didn't that nipple-mouse go out about 20 years ago?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

PITT posted:

I've had this exact laptop type issued to me more than a decade ago by the government, and I specifically remember hating it so much because that little red nub would wear and break all the time and it would become a pain to use it without an external mouse. Wouldn't surprise me at all if some low-level military bureaucrat got stuck with this on a NATO mission - only for someone to swipe it and sell it to the FSB.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I think the guy is Oleksandr Oksanchenko, a retired SU-27 pilot and trainer who returned to duty after the invasion and was shot down pretty promptly. There is a lot of cockpit GoPro footage of him from airshow performances.

Lol no its Petr Poroshenko, previous president
Its a tiktok joke

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The problem is they’ve already claimed total destruction of Ukrainian military facilities.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1500506185195302912

They're working overtime.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 6, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

I don't think they're really smart. Just smart enough to be irritated with CNN. They aren't knowledgeable enough to adjust to a nuanced narrative, thats for sure. And its not because its "insufficiently leftists" its because its literally aesthetically and narratively repulsive. The news equivalent to a NASCAR pre-Race show.

Americans of Prime Posting Age grew up with that poo poo being used to justify genuinely atrocious stuff, from CNN specials on Iraqi WMDs to giving platforms for mil creeps to explain why a civilian train is actually a military target. I think its much more productive to look at how the media fails to prevent stuff than suppose that leftists really believe Russia is bringing the world revolution to Kyiv.

The impression I get isn’t that this type of self-proclaimed leftist genuinely thinks Putin is bringing about a leftist revolution but that they consider the West their enemy more than they consider the worker their friend. That belief is a much smaller stretch than thinking Russia is actually leftist.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Upgrade posted:

Reducing all actions and motivations to capitalism is some real first semester Marxist history nonsense.

My grandfather, the one stuck in Kyiv, is convinced Putin is a Marxist and is liberating the working classes in Donbas. Which is why he's not worried and convinced the Russians aren't shooting up his neighbors :eyepop:

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Surplus?

And even if it's a real laptop. I thought it was pretty much well know there was training and avdvising done by nato militaries.

escapegoat posted:

Still there on my brand new X1, thankfully

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 6, 2022

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

escapegoat posted:

Nope, those are still a thing.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Trump posted:

The danish PM is holder a presser. 7 billion dkk over the next 2 years as an extraordinary grant, and then a steady increase in baseline spending until we reach 2% yearly gdp in 2033.

This is an enormous shift in defense policy.

Truly a question for the ages

It will be interesting to read what a modern, first world (non-military industrial complex) defense spending explosion will look like.

Any good modern military tech analysis articles out there? I'd like to read something that points out the flaw in my "Buy all the drones and sprinkle MANPADs and Javelins over every single backwoods hamlet" defense theory.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

My grandfather, the one stuck in Kyiv, is convinced Putin is a Marxist and is liberating the working classes in Donbas. Which is why he's not worried and convinced the Russians aren't shooting up his neighbors :eyepop:

Ok never mind lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vaginaface posted:

Isn't this the Arma 3 video? Who's the guy?

TheRat posted:

Digital Combat Simulator, and yeah I think that's the same clip. No idea who the old guy is or what the text says though.

Text says “identity of the Ghost of Kyiv has been revealed”, and the guy is Ukraine’s first (non-acting) post-revolution president. This is a mildly funny, intentional shitpost targeted at those who know who the guy is.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

escapegoat posted:

No, brand new Lenovo laptops still have it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rear end cobra posted:

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1500515840831238144

hmmm looks like that ASB account is full of poo poo

ASB is one of 3 major English propaganda accounts on Twitter, of those parading as “community news”.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Do we actually know how many they have and how many more they've gotten since the war started?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Calibanibal posted:

As a fellow IT I can confirm this too, its an extremely old laptop (although not literally as ancient as hell, which doesn't even exist).
It's a Lenovo Thinkpad t430 I think. We had quite a few of these about 8 years ago in my company and they were about 2y old. Not sure if previous Thinkpad models had the same layout though, so it may be older.

E: nvm the tag is for a Lenovo R500, significantly shittier.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 6, 2022

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah my thought was more along lines they just happened to have info what nato stickers on laptops look like and printed themselves some and put it on some ancient thinkpad

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

It's a good thing magic doesn't exist. Considering the impressive human capacity for magical thinking, we'd have torn reality to shreds well before inventing pants.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

That Italian Guy posted:

It's a Lenovo Thinkpad t430 I think. We had quite a few of these about 8 years ago in my company and they were about 2y old. Not sure if previous Thinkpad models had the same layout though, so it may be older.

T500, I think. They came out somewhere around 2010 or 2011.

e:

e2: Correction, 2008.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 6, 2022

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Laptop chat: It’s got a core 2 duo, literally at least 15 years old. The vista basic sticker also indicates it was a piece of poo poo spec-wise even when it came out. There’s no way anyone but the lowest pissant on the totem pole in any company would be using such a turd of a computer, even a decade ago. When I was working for a charity that refurbished old tech to give to schools for free a laptop like this would go straight to e-waste.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ASB is one of 3 major English propaganda accounts on Twitter, of those parading as “community news”.

ASB is insane because he was also strongly pro-Alyeev, iirc

both a turkish and russian bot

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dante posted:

This is sort a tangential meta-debate and not a twitter news thing I suppose, but I wonder where the whole "Ukrainians won't resist occupation and dissolution" analysis came from. Ukraine famously represents a staggering amount of total USSR losses in WWII, it has a long-standing history and identity as a nation, it was and still is an important cultural center for eastern europe - and most importantly violently resisted Russian interference in its domestic politics in 2014 which led to euromaidan. The whole Russian strategy was built upon that all of Ukraine was basically like Crimea. I don't think anyone assumed they would resist this fiercely (or get this much aid), but the extent to which they've clearly built their strategy on this assumption is weird.

It’s just basic Russian “racism”. Ukrainians are very often the butt of any joke, even amongst purported Russian “progressives”. That and genuine beliefs about their drivel about Nazis - it’s literally fart huffing all the way down, with no rational kernel to it.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

That Italian Guy posted:

E: nvm the tag is for a Lenovo R500, significantly shittier.

Look again, its an R series. R500 specifically, talking 2008 vintage.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

e:

You can see in one of the pictures that it's an R500.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Dante posted:

This is sort a tangential meta-debate and not a twitter news thing I suppose, but I wonder where the whole "Ukrainians won't resist occupation and dissolution" analysis came from. Ukraine famously represents a staggering amount of total USSR losses in WWII, it has a long-standing history and identity as a nation, it was and still is an important cultural center for eastern europe - and most importantly violently resisted Russian interference in its domestic politics in 2014 which led to euromaidan. The whole Russian strategy was built upon that all of Ukraine was basically like Crimea. I don't think anyone assumed they would resist this fiercely (or get this much aid), but the extent to which they've clearly built their strategy on this assumption is weird.

I think the attitude was that Ukranians are Russians, or at least Orthodox Slavic brothers who are pro-Russian in sentiment, but were victims of a Western coup in 2014 and were being oppressed by the government (which was controlled by Jews ans Nazis) and their Western masters. So, all the Russians had to do was come in, and they'd be treated as liberators, the Ukrainian government would flee and the Ukranians would be free to take up their natural role as an ally under Russian guidance.

So I think that was what Putin and the people around him thought when they went in. There's also this old Russian stereotype of Ukranians as sort of hicks...drunk, obese, crude and cowardy peasants, and I think that played into it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Powered Descent posted:

e:

Yeah I doublechecked the pics and it's a Lenovo R500 (first pic in the twitter thread). 2008-2010.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Yeah my thought was more along lines they just happened to have info what nato stickers on laptops look like and printed themselves some and put it on some ancient thinkpad

Well, you'd be surprised how many poo poo laptops were "forgotten" on commuter trains the moment newer laptops were available in the owner's IT section. Or, back in the day, how many Blackberries were "accidentally" dropped in toilets the moment iPhones were added to inventories.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The problem is they’ve already claimed total destruction of Ukrainian military facilities.

Sure, military facilities as in bases and poo poo.

The defense industry are private enterprises though. Raytheon offices in Tucson for example are literally right next to a Walmart. Sure defense companies have a presence on military bases too but most of the work is done in some office building/corporate park.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

MadJackal posted:

It will be interesting to read what a modern, first world (non-military industrial complex) defense spending explosion will look like.

Any good modern military tech analysis articles out there? I'd like to read something that points out the flaw in my "Buy all the drones and sprinkle MANPADs and Javelins over every single backwoods hamlet" defense theory.

I Denmark's case the 7 billion grant is highly likely going to patch up all the holes the last 20 years of failed defense policy has caused; Actually buy and install the SM2 launchers and missiles on our frigates, as an example, instead of having them sail around with a hole in their deck. Pulling out some Leopard 2s from the mothballs and updating them, buying an ATGM system for the army and in the long term a big one will be more F-35 to supplement the 27 we already have ordered.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Bremen posted:

One of the other linked videos appears to be showing explosions below the aircraft immediately before missiles take it out, so it seems like it was on a bombing run and probably contributes to all the cheering from the Ukrainians when it blows up. I am no military expert but the huge explosion when the missiles hit makes me suspect it had more bombs, too.

I wonder if switching to using unguided bombs due to shortages, as has been suggested several times already, is requiring them to drop down low enough to be vulnerable to MANPADs which is apparently what took out the plane here (again, not a military expert, so it's just speculation).

If the Russian airforce is out of guided munitions I think they have to fly low and slow to provide effective CAS. In a country brimming with manpads that's probably means a high attrition rate. Moreover I think you probably need quite a lot of skill and experience to accurately drop dumb bombs which would require a lot of training which Russian pilots may not get.

I think here's a good chance the Russian airforce is not going to play a decisive role in this war. This may be the best they can do.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Powered Descent posted:

e:

It is an R500, you can see the model number below the screen in one of the photos. That puts it at around 2008-2009.

A bottom spec business laptop is pretty much exactly what I would expect to be used for a lot of non intensive government work, but if it ever was a NATO laptop someone clearly had this thing squirreled away somewhere until they needed a prop.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Russia should have bought a GETAC B360 or earlier version on ebay, they look so much more like something Tom Cruise would use in Mission Impossible compared to some thinkpad a government-employee would secretly dream of spilling coffee on to get rid of.

Dante fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 6, 2022

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I agree it looks like an R500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pinky Artichoke posted:

No, it’s Petro Poroshenko. That tweet is a meme shitpost.