Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The cartoonist has terminal labelling disease.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao, I love it when cartoonists completely undermine their own work by making their caricatures too cutesy. Just look at that preventable disease! That would be a cute plushy to have :3:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
https://youtu.be/rfyOihhAD4A

My anti vaccine friend sent this to me overnight and then got mad at me when I told him that no one is stopping him from eating ivermectin if he wants to. I'm just venting because I don't get it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Greg Legg posted:

My anti vaccine friend sent this to me overnight and then got mad at me when I told him that no one is stopping him from eating ivermectin if he wants to. I'm just venting because I don't get it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

What are the needles supposed to be??

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mike the TV posted:

We’ll never know. :iiam:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mike the TV posted:

Debt

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

How's Florida's pro-rabies bill going

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Greg Legg posted:

I made a joke about resorting to horse medicine on a team call last week, and the guy I report to started hemming and hawing about how well actually there are human applications for ivermectin and also the science blah blah blah

Ugh. When he inevitably rushes back into the office we’ll find out if it’s true what they say about country boys & survival.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cheesus posted:

Anyone else finding themselves in a situation where their spouse is buying into the Biden propaganda and those irritating and increasingly uncomfortable facts are becoming more meaningless? If so, how are you handling it?

Not spouse, but my parents don't listen to me because it's different from what CNN tells them. A couple weeks ago I decided it was time to visit because it's just not going to get any better. So with two weeks until I visit, it's becoming increasingly clear that I have made the right choice, because at some point someone in this family will die for Cracker Barrel.

OTOH, my roommate and I are going to be very happy to clean out 2 years of unsent Christmas presents.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

My ultra-liberal NYC employer is going masks optional mid-March and pushing back the booster deadline, my guess is indefinitely. If masks are optional here they're optional everywhere. Frankly my co-workers have been pulling down their masks to sip coffee through the entire pandemic, so this move isn't changing anyone's exposure anyway. Can't really judge as they haven't got infected yet and I did, life is funny.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

schrodingers queen

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

NYC government ended masking for workers today with only a handful of exceptions. Guess they felt the early retirement rate was too low lol

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Apparently most cartoonists don't start out that way but after years of people completely missing the point they realize subtlety is a risk they can't afford. Here's an example from 2020 where the cartoonist got a lot of flak because people completely misunderstood which character was supposed to be the punch line.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

zegermans posted:

How's Florida's pro-rabies bill going

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1500587788592300035

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lmao that the MicroCOVID calculator has been updated for Omicron yet treats boosters as seventy‐five percent effective against infection

also lol:

quote:

Since our system doesn't yet have vaccine data for your region, we aren't able to provide a way for you to adjust your score based on whether or not the person you're seeing is vaccinated.

Even the CDC’S dumbass new community risk index doesn’t include the prevalence of vaccination as a factor.

Anyway, how mild is it in New York, New York? Forty hours per week, twenty people on the floor, they’re not masked but are socially distanced. Our hero protagonist has two shots and an N95 (but using MicroCOVID’s bullshit idea of what kind of risk reduction that implies).

Over!

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 7, 2022

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

good to know where's back to the 80s when the official white house press secretary response to every question about AIDS was "what are you, gay?"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

zegermans posted:

good to know where's back to the 80s when the official white house press secretary response to every question about AIDS was "what are you, gay?"

GOP media interactions are coordinated and centrally controlled, if Florida is doing this while Texas is embarking on the transgendered teen abduction campaign you’ve got to figure that the party leaders have decided lgbtq hate is a winning strategy that is going to work for them and they’re going to start leaning a lot harder on it before too long.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
FYI, I just successfully ordered four more tests (aka two boxes lol) from covidtests.gov

thanks, brandon

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

The Oldest Man posted:

Time to scramble over the bodies to brunch motha fuckaaaaaa

Yesterday I made mimosas and fried egg sandwiches w/ cut up fruit at home. Do people realize that they can do that? It almost seems like folks are having memory issues but who knows what might be causing it

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Platystemon posted:

lmao that the MicroCOVID calculator has been updated for Omicron yet treats boosters as seventy‐five percent effective against infection

also lol:

Even the CDC’S dumbass new community risk index doesn’t include the prevalence of vaccination as a factor.

Anyway, how mild is it in New York, New York? Forty hours per week, twenty people on the floor, they’re not masked but are socially distanced. Our hero protagonist has two shots and an N95 (but using MicroCOVID’s bullshit idea of what kind of risk reduction that implies).

Over!

lol their list of options is so insanely optimistic, i couldn't select options like 'indoors with compromised circulation' and my office floor has over 100 people on it but they don't count b/c even though it's the same sealed environment it's not within 5M

good to know that a one night stand is considerably safer than going to work though lol

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao, I love it when cartoonists completely undermine their own work by making their caricatures too cutesy. Just look at that preventable disease! That would be a cute plushy to have :3:

Gonna dangle these from my rear view mirror alongside my VOTE mask with the embroidery of RBG throwing gang signs

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cheesus posted:

Anyone else finding themselves in a situation where their spouse is buying into the Biden propaganda and those irritating and increasingly uncomfortable facts are becoming more meaningless? If so, how are you handling it?

hit da bricks.png

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

facetoucher cat posted:

Yesterday I made mimosas and fried egg sandwiches w/ cut up fruit at home. Do people realize that they can do that? It almost seems like folks are having memory issues but who knows what might be causing it

But you see the whole "point" of brunch is that you have someone give it to you, then you camp at the table for 3 hours and tip 5%

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

GOP media interactions are coordinated and centrally controlled, if Florida is doing this while Texas is embarking on the transgendered teen abduction campaign you’ve got to figure that the party leaders have decided lgbtq hate is a winning strategy that is going to work for them and they’re going to start leaning a lot harder on it before too long.

it's an election year and they're clearly drumming up their base to show up by using fresh legislation to point toward how they're "owning the left" or whatever, just like how the removal of mask mandates are what biden et al gonna point to as "progress". hope they all loving burn

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

transpeople are the anger target and will be the one of the top things brought up by every republican over the next two to four years.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

It's not really a secret that they're running the same playbook on the transgendered that they ran on the gay/lesbian community

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The possibility that SARs-COV-2 potentially persists in certain tissues and bodily reservoirs is something I hadn't paid attention to in the past, in part because the acute phase of the disease was bad enough but also because the majority of people appeared to fully recover from infection and presumably cleared the virus. However observations of potential viral persistence keeps coming up in PASC research with speculation that this could help explain long-term symptoms in at least some people. Here's one example, from a review article:

quote:

Long COVID or Post-acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC): An Overview of Biological Factors That May Contribute to Persistent Symptoms

REVIEW article
Front. Microbiol., 23 June 2021 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2021.698169

SARS-CoV-2 Appears Capable of Persistence in Certain Tissues
There is no firm consensus on whether patients harboring SARS-CoV-2 RNA or protein for long periods of time remain contagious. Very preliminary data suggest that such patients do not infect others. For example, Vibholm et al. (2021) found that ∼5% of their subjects tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 ∼90 days after infection by RT-PCR nasopharyngeal testing, but transmission to close contacts was not observed. However, some Ebola outbreaks appear to have been started by post-Ebola patients harboring persistent reservoirs of the virus (Lo et al., 2017; Virological, 2021). The overall topic of RNA virus persistence and infectivity must therefore be further studied not just for a better understanding of PASC, but for the sake of best managing the COVID-19 pandemic itself.
There are many others, and people itt have sporadically posted similar observations too.

The prospect that someone infected with SARs-COV-2 could potentially be permanently infected is a possibility I can't evaluate, as I'm not a virologist or immunologist or knowledgeable at all. However it appears to be more than a theoretical possibility at this time, and if it turns out to be true the current normalization of "non-severe" infections is even more horrendous.

Also would be bad news for China's zero-COVID strategy if every former COVID patient is a potential new patient-zero.

Apr 7, 2003

zegermans posted:

It's not really a secret that they're running the same playbook on the transgendered that they ran on the gay/lesbian community

it's getting a lot more vicious a lot faster than I thought it would, honestly

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

it's getting a lot more vicious a lot faster than I thought it would, honestly

the lesson learned from the previous culture war is that you can't let them even start to be humanized.

related sidenote, ever wonder how Laura Dern's career just disappeared from Jurassic Park until the mid 2010s? She got blacklisted for being Ellen's partner in her coming out episode.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
lmao i'm in danger

https://twitter.com/veryshaunahill/status/1500837205216051200

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Well, the outbreak at my kid's daycare continues to be way too close for comfort. One staff member in the room next to hers tested positive last Thursday night and over the weekend two of the babies in that room tested positive. There's an often open door between that room and hers and the staff moves back and forth between those rooms so really hoping it stays next door and didn't make it in to her room. My wife is home sick with something that doesn't seem to be COVID today (negative rapid test this morning) so we're just keeping the baby home as well in the hopes that any other kids or staff that were infected last week start to show symptoms and get tested by today.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

zegermans posted:

You start out in 1984 by saying, “Homo, homo homo.” By 2022 you can’t say “homo”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced gender reassignment for kids, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, gays get hurt worse than straights.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the trans thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “homo, homo.”

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I think that the weird adhesive mask is your best option.

A similar concept is to tape a headband/earloop mask to your face. Someone in this thread mentioned that their barber did this for every customer (back when COVID wasn’t over), and they were impressed.

It’s possible to just hold an elastomeric respirator to your face securely, or at least it is for my face and my respirator, but I’d just buy the Readimask if the haircut is two weeks away.

How reusable are Readimasks before the adhesive becomes risky? Seems like it might be hard to judge.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

covid.jpg
https://twitter.com/JackRhysider/status/1500584613135233026

Apr 7, 2003

T-Paine posted:

You start out in 1984 by saying, “Homo, homo homo.” By 2022 you can’t say “homo”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced gender reassignment for kids, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, gays get hurt worse than straights.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the trans thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “homo, homo.”

lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rename Vermont to ‘Vvardenfell’, because it’s the Red Mountain State now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PerniciousKnid posted:

How reusable are Readimasks before the adhesive becomes risky? Seems like it might be hard to judge.

I’ve never used them.

Their FAQ says:

Q: What is the difference between silicone and acrylic adhesives?

A: Both adhesives are very gentle, hypoallergenic and made of medical-grade adhesives. Our tests suggest about 10 reuses for the silicon adhesive mask and about half of that for the acrylic adhesive. Individual results vary depending on cleanliness, the environment, etc. Nurses will get more reuses than coal miners.