Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fuctifino posted:

There's an interesting snippet from the UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss where she admits they've been planning for this since the end of last year.

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1500900513705041931

Don't be too harsh on world's first sentient muppet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRhlRM6rYck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

OMG the same Russian Ambassador to the UK who made the ~implications~ about NATO earlier today is now whining about how his office is getting threats.
https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/1500903516075929617?s=20&t=wJO_pAN6jCV4RU39CrRxYQ
Farcical

Logistical issues you say?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

In social media news Telegram is one of the last independent social media sites standing in Russia, and the government there has reportedly been wavering on whether to pull the plug on it or not. The founder and CEO of Telegram is from Russia originally and put out a wishy-washy statement earlier in the war. Seems like his position has firmed, and he's pro-Ukrainian.
https://twitter.com/etbrooking/status/1500891610019676171?s=20&t=YNPZExzM3nduCVK3Wa06Cw
I didn't know this guy had founded VK.

My Ukrainian friend works at Telegram, hopefully it is a result of him and other Ukrainian employees pushing on Durov

Durov is a weirdo libertarian and seemingly free speech absolutist but he collaborated with Russian authorities in the past so who knows

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Chalks posted:

Logistical issues you say?

A joke and all that I know, but I imagine it has something to do with the daily protests and defacings. Also presumably a lot of suppliers won't work with them either.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYgtzg8hpIQ

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 7, 2022

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I stepped away from this for a few days, whats the current t situation?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Telsa Cola posted:

It's explicitly a war crime and it would also probably understandably have them treat you like a spy.

I figured that might be the case. Interesting.

Bremen posted:

Just to clarify, the previous poster means the uncompressed original video is out there and Putin's hand doesn't pass through the microphone in it, so we know with complete certainty that it *is* a compression artifact.

Oh, I haven't seen that. I withdraw my point then, still seems p bizarre to me as I've never seen compression do something like that, but if the higher quality video doesn't have that issue then I must be wrong.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BigRed0427 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSzAnNU4u28

Russia continues to have problems

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigRed0427 posted:

Ukraine shelled a Russian patrol boat and sunk it, Ukrainian Marines may have destroyed 30 helicopters in the South, a fuel convoy got destroyed. Russian shelling and cruise missiles continues, Russian demands have not really changed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

fuctifino posted:

There's an interesting snippet from the UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss where she admits they've been planning for this since the end of last year.

I mean, as far as I can tell, she's a total clown and an embarrassment for the Brits. But hasn't the US warned people since about that time that Russia was planning to invade Ukraine, only nearly nobody believed them back then? If the UK government did believe US intelligence, it would only make sense to plan for this since that time. I don't see the huge revelation here.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

North has ground to a halt, west and south russia has progressed some but there's indications that they're outrunning their supply chain still and the fact that they're not security territory instead of just major roadways is leading to logistics issues for russia. Also some truly embarrassing losses as another user pointed out. Ukrainian cities are now starting to be bombarded more in earnest and civilian casualties are starting to kick in. Russia's economy is so bad it's basically collapsed so the trillion ruble question is, can Ukraine hold them off until russia can no longer afford the war.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

KitConstantine posted:

OMG the same Russian Ambassador to the UK who made the ~implications~ about NATO earlier today is now whining about how his office is getting threats.
https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/1500903516075929617?s=20&t=wJO_pAN6jCV4RU39CrRxYQ
Farcical

our twitter is "blowing up" unlike Ukraine which is undergoing peaceful operation

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1500908409268355076?cxt=HHwWiICy7d-PptQpAAAA

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

Ukraine shelled a Russian patrol boat and sunk it, Ukrainian Marines may have destroyed 30 helicopters in the South, a fuel convoy got destroyed. Russian shelling and cruise missiles continues, Russian demands have not really changed.

You forgot the new stated reason for the war, which might be the most :shuckyes: statement of all time

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

I'm not shocked, but I am disappointed.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Torrannor posted:

I mean, as far as I can tell, she's a total clown and an embarrassment for the Brits. But hasn't the US warned people since about that time that Russia was planning to invade Ukraine, only nearly nobody believed them back then? If the UK government did believe US intelligence, it would only make sense to plan for this since that time. I don't see the huge revelation here.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't aware the invasion was all known about back then. I only started following the events in Ukraine a week or two before they crossed the border. The tweet was just something I saw blowing up in my corner of twitter.

I guess the main take from that video then is her being grilled on only accepting 50 refugees so far, and her passing the buck to the Home Office.
Talking of which, this is what greets refugees in Calais:

https://twitter.com/andylines/status/1500837210895130629

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Play posted:

Is dressing up in the other side's uniforms like, acceptable overall? Are there any treaties or anything preventing that?

No. It’s a violation of the Geneva Protocols and anyone caught doing so is only protected by the Geneva Protocols in as much as they are to receive a military trial before you shoot them.

Other than that military trial, individual combatants caught pretending to be members of the other sides armed forces are to be treated as spies and are expressly denied the protections of the Geneva Conventions and the status of Prisoner of War.

In other words, dressing up in the other sides uniform makes you a spy or saboteur. Such individuals can be tried by court martial under the governing military laws of the combatant who captured them.

I have no idea what the punishment is for spying under Ukrainian military law, but I can tell you that the UCMJ (governing law for the armed forces of the United States), anyone captured and convicted by court martial of spying during a time of war receives a mandatory sentence of death.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 7, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Threadkiller Dog posted:

If this were a wargame it would be disallowed.

lol at the idea that war has rules after this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fuctifino posted:

e: Sorry, I wasn't aware that it was known about back then. My bad.

Aside from being not news, https://dorseteye.com/ looks suspiciously like a very hasty reskin of RT/Sputnik. It's the exact same frontpage layout, you'll notice the only two actually local news articles are just carbon copy "Police very concerned for" three line articles, the rest is just Russia propaganda on Ukraine.

E: in fact it's really loving obviously a low-effort reskin of RT/Sputnik, which tells you a lot about the sort of person who's sharing their links (not burning you, more the exhausting twitter personality everyone kinda hopes would go away)

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 7, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Alchenar posted:

Aside from being not news, https://dorseteye.com/ looks suspiciously like a very hasty reskin of RT/Sputnik. It's the exact same frontpage layout, you'll notice the only two actually local news articles are just carbon copy "Police very concerned for" three line articles, the rest is just Russia propaganda on Ukraine.

Ah poo poo, I didn't notice it was from that site. I blame old age and bad eyesight.

I normally avoid Dorset News like the plague. It's literally just one person posting from his bedroom.

Apologies.

e:

quote:

in fact it's really loving obviously a low-effort reskin of RT/Sputnik, which tells you a lot about the sort of person who's sharing their links (not burning you, more the exhausting twitter personality everyone kinda hopes would go away)

No, thanks for the heads up. More and more people in my circles are being influenced by Tankies in theirs. I'm going to dive in and correct a few things. Thanks again.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 7, 2022

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

This is the kind of content that keeps me in SA

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Ah poo poo, I didn't notice it was from that site. I blame old age and bad eyesight.

I normally avoid Dorset News like the plague. It's literally just one person posting from his bedroom.

Apologies.

Maybe its because your not eating enough cucumbers.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Play posted:

Is dressing up in the other side's uniforms like, acceptable overall? Are there any treaties or anything preventing that?

If you follow Russian doctrine you find crime time never stops, based on the amazing hacks of not caring what happens your men and having enough nukes leadership can't be touched.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Interesting that Britain would do that given that we only get about 4% of our energy from Russia. Presumably rejecting on behalf of nations that are more dependant on them?

Honestly I think the west should be making lots of noise about blocking Russian energy imports even if there is no plan to actually follow through. Acting like you we want to cut it off will discourage Russia from cutting it off in retaliation which is something they may do as a gently caress you if things get bad.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Anyone in tech from Europe know anything about Hetzner hosting company? People in the comments say they are sketchy/have weak security but it's waaaay outside my area.
https://twitter.com/MFA_Ukraine/status/1500899289580584962?t=TeE8MrwZ50lNrL-TCDDefQ&s=19

Weird time for this website to go down though.

They have decent reputation in EU tech sector.

VideoGameVet posted:

I was an advisor on Full Spectrum Command (a recreation of the Ft. Brag military operations in an urban environment training thing). Company commander stuff.

The thing I learned from that? Small drones are very useful for knowing where people are. We had them as a “2020 option” in thje sim and it changed the results greatly.

Haha, nice 2020 option indeed.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Chalks posted:

Interesting that Britain would do that given that we only get about 4% of our energy from Russia. Presumably rejecting on behalf of nations that are more dependant on them?

Even if we don't get our energy directly from Russia, if Germany suddenly needs to buy their Gas from another country we'll be competing with them for it. Prices will go up for everyone, regardless of the source.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Chalks posted:

Honestly I think the west should be making lots of noise about blocking Russian energy imports even if there is no plan to actually follow through. Acting like you we want to cut it off will discourage Russia from cutting it off in retaliation which is something don't think is outside the realm of possibility.

Shell and BP are headquartered in the UK, as are many of the European subsidiaries of international oil companies.

But, to play Devil's Advocate, cutting off oil imports is perversely counter-productive. Oil is fungible and it WILL get sold at going trade rates, even if the US and Europe aren't buying. So if American and European producers/refiners are limiting crude imports and paying more for oil from other sources, every barrel of oil Putin sells will be worth more the regime, even with banking sanctions complicating the transaction.

If you really want to hurt Russian oil, you should subsidize the poo poo out of alternative sources like shale oil in Alberta and the Dakotas, flood the market to decrease the price.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
If Ukraine accepted Russias demand to stay neutral would that really be such a big deal if the west armed them to the teeth? Russia already got a bloody nose from this invasion, a future invasion might be even worse for them if Ukraine had even more training and weapons.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The guy who rammed the gate of the Russian embassy in Ireland:
https://twitter.com/CllrMickDuff/status/1500886146578059269?t=6EcICPpcHoM1hxDGaNdx2g&s=19

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

If Ukraine accepted Russias demand to stay neutral would that really be such a big deal if the west armed them to the teeth? Russia already got a bloody nose from this invasion, a future invasion might be even worse for them if Ukraine had even more training and weapons.

Never believe a Russian when they talk about neutrality

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Charliegrs posted:

A key part of russia's demands is that Ukraine doesn't get to have a military. So the moment Russia declares that Ukraine isn't being neutral enough they can invade with no resistance.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't aware the invasion was all known about back then. I only started following the events in Ukraine a week or two before they crossed the border. The tweet was just something I saw blowing up in my corner of twitter.

I guess the main take from that video then is her being grilled on only accepting 50 refugees so far, and her passing the buck to the Home Office.
Talking of which, this is what greets refugees in Calais:

https://twitter.com/andylines/status/1500837210895130629

It's kind of interesting that the UK has gone this route unlike Denmark. As most of you know we have an extremely harsh legislation considering immigration (and not just brown ones - being allowed to bring a non-EU partner/spouse is expensive and difficult, American students regularly get deported due to minor mistakes filling out paperwork, etc.) and asylum. Almost all of that was completely waived not just for Ukrainian immigrants, but also (mostly) for refugees previously staying in Ukraine, Part of this is due to populism and employers being exceptionally thirsty for labor, but from most of the political parties there did seem to be a genuine wish to actually take in refugees from Ukraine.

The UK seems to be in this weird role where the government is extremely vocal in support of Ukraine, sanctions against Russia and helping refugees. But the actions of the government (at least seen from the outside - I know little about UK politics) are just so wildly incongruous with what is being said, that it is almost comical. I just don't understand why? My preconception is that every politician is a scumbag, so it's not that part I don't get. But isn't the public support for pro-Ukraine and taking refugees strong enough to make it an easy choice to have actions match words? The UK also needs labor, so I'd imagine employers are every bit as thirsty for immigrant labor as here in Denmark. Is it still Brexit politics at work or is Boris and his gang just plain malevolent?

I guess I just answered my own long-winded question. But still, people like Duda and Orban are taking in refugees. The Danish social democrats are doing so, too - and they're even anti-labor import unlike the rest. UK politicians are an enigma.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I'll believe it when I see it.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1500915342515789828?s=20&t=O5d9roV0nPBwoS5vdLwSbQ

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

If they do that then Russia spends 5 years building up an actual functional military and declares war again, crushing them.

The only route to survival for Ukraine is to come out the other side of the war and join NATO. Their success in this war is 90% Russian incompetence and no amount of preparation will allow them to survive a do-over.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

They only get 2% of their supply from Russia, would it even matter?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
just woke up and saw that some russian gymnast dipshit wants to get banned
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/mar/07/shocking-behaviour-russian-gymnast-shows-z-symbol-on-podium-next-to-ukrainian-winner

quote:

After winning bronze in the parallel bars final at the Apparatus World Cup in Doha, Kuliak taped the letter “Z” to the front of his outfit before standing next to the gold medallist, Illia Kovtun of Ukraine, for the national anthems.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

we don't import much russian oil iirc, and we are also currently negotiating with venezuela to switch sides

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PederP posted:

It's kind of interesting that the UK has gone this route unlike Denmark. As most of you know we have an extremely harsh legislation considering immigration (and not just brown ones - being allowed to bring a non-EU partner/spouse is expensive and difficult, American students regularly get deported due to minor mistakes filling out paperwork, etc.) and asylum. Almost all of that was completely waived not just for Ukrainian immigrants, but also (mostly) for refugees previously staying in Ukraine, Part of this is due to populism and employers being exceptionally thirsty for labor, but from most of the political parties there did seem to be a genuine wish to actually take in refugees from Ukraine.

The UK seems to be in this weird role where the government is extremely vocal in support of Ukraine, sanctions against Russia and helping refugees. But the actions of the government (at least seen from the outside - I know little about UK politics) are just so wildly incongruous with what is being said, that it is almost comical. I just don't understand why? My preconception is that every politician is a scumbag, so it's not that part I don't get. But isn't the public support for pro-Ukraine and taking refugees strong enough to make it an easy choice to have actions match words? The UK also needs labor, so I'd imagine employers are every bit as thirsty for immigrant labor as here in Denmark. Is it still Brexit politics at work or is Boris and his gang just plain malevolent?

I guess I just answered my own long-winded question. But still, people like Duda and Orban are taking in refugees. The Danish social democrats are doing so, too - and they're even anti-labor import unlike the rest. UK politicians are an enigma.
The Tories are literally paid by the Russians. Like literally literally.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This twitter has been monitoring Belarusian airspace during the war so far. Judging by it's posting over the last couple of hours Russia is throwing as much air as they have ready at Ukraine right now :sigh: Russia is pretty solidly known to be staging their air assaults out of Belarusian airspace.

https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp
It's Belarus-based

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Chalks posted:

They only get 2% of their supply from Russia, would it even matter?

It's to help Biden, not Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PederP posted:

The UK's Tories seem to work like the Republicans here - the question isn't if a policy is popular with a majority of Britons, it's if it's popular with a majority of Tories. At least that is my very distant assessment, others must know much better.