Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judakel posted:

Given their track record, that account should be laughed at instantly even as you browse for any backing.

Anyone who immediately starts musing if generals are real without the most cursory checks will soon acquire the same reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
An operation fusion reactor tied up in EU bureaucracy was, indeed, a joke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Okay knock it off. If a poster does something, just report it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

ZombieLenin posted:

They’ve literally not moved at all in 48 hours. They are just shooting missiles now.

Only if you are watching the Kyiv front where the Russians are trying to sort out their traffic jam and stabilize the front after the Ukrainian counterattack on Makariv that go you so excited 2 days ago. They also are busy securing the area around Brovarsky to try and push Kyiv from the east. These are new developments in the past 48 hours.
The Ukrainians themselves are reporting a renewed buildup NW of Kyiv and that the Russians are preparing to renew the attack on roads leading into Kyiv from the roads near Homostel and Irpin. The shelling and missiles are to try and soften things up while they sort out their formations from the earlier plan which counted on Ukrainians not resisting.

Meanwhile, they are making daily gains in the south.

quote:

In the Donetsk direction, the enemy with forces of up to seven BTGs continues offensive operations in the directions of the cities of the Dnipro and Zaporizhya, in order to reach the administrative borders of the Donetsk region. Despite heavy losses, it is moving in the direction of Volnovakha.

This is from the Ukrainian Armed Force FB page so it's not like it is Russian propaganda. No one is saying the Russians have it in the bag but the fight isn't over. A few days ago analysts were saying they had 2 to 3 weeks of supplies for the invasion so we are approaching the deadline for Russians to move. We should know this week how much farther if at all they are getting.

https://www.facebook.com/GeneralStaff.ua/posts/266840212295731

Despera posted:

Nuclear power is way underutilzed as a green power source. Takes awhile to build though. Bring bac steam trains!

Is there a reason why the Europeans are so averse to nuclear power? In Ontario Canada, nuclear makes up well over half our energy with Hydro making up another quarter.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ukraine still had troops working as UN peacekeepers till now!
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1500991358118600706?t=Q1jEMCR7up5wuy-XjvKcmA&s=19

Per Wikipedia that's 307, ranked 44/120 for number of troops contributed. And I'm sure if any friends want to come they can :)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So guys I have a great way that Russian planes can avoid the blocks in Russian air traffic. What we can do is have the Russian plane flyers air drop into the cities that they're planning to go.

Lol you got one too! What up fellow Schwab bro :hf:

I have a great way for Russia to avoid further issues with logistics: go home fuckers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Lol you got one too! What up fellow Schwab bro :hf:

I have a great way for Russia to avoid further issues with logistics: go home fuckers

In 3 weeks stuff will be more available on frontline than in supermarkets.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

a podcast for cats posted:

Apparently that Russian ship got lured into an ambush position by smaller boats and was sunk by a MLRS barrage. hosed up if true.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

FishBulbia posted:

I wish these people were smart enough to not make Russian propaganda.

You'd think that, but much of our local UK media is staffed by young unpaid interns, who are all battling for the tiny amount of paid jobs at the end of the tunnel. So it's common to get terrible grammar, unchecked spelling mistakes and ridiculous takes, but I don't think I've seen something like this before.

Ethan has since locked down his twitter account, but he doesn't look that old, so I really think it was just complete naivety on his part. But still... loving hell....

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

When Bellingcat was saying they expected the Russian supply system to collapse (more than it already has I guess?) on Sunday, did they mean Yesterday Sunday or 6 days from now Sunday?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Dont think solar works great in the baltics? Maybe Trumps favorite energy source works better?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MikeC posted:

Is there a reason why the Europeans are so averse to nuclear power? In Ontario Canada, nuclear makes up well over half our energy with Hydro making up another quarter.

Relying on Russian gas is a feature and not a bug to a lot of people

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Despera posted:

Dont think solar works great in the baltics? Maybe Trumps favorite energy source works better?

Might be better to go for wind power in case the vdv tries to airdrop into a wind farm

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

When Bellingcat was saying they expected the Russian supply system to collapse (more than it already has I guess?) on Sunday, did they mean Yesterday Sunday or 6 days from now Sunday?

I think it was this Sunday? I'm not sure

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Oh and for those asking if Zelensky has left Kyiv - nope, and he wanted to make that very clear. The man has a gift
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1500985658646609927?t=OdLy8nwjKb5-LyZTeoLuuQ&s=19
Edited in a version with captions
Edit2:full video w/captions on telegram

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 8, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Despera posted:

I think everyone should carefully reread that tweet. It’s about reliance on Russian gas, not any gas.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Bremen posted:

Infantry screens make sense to me against something like someone hiding in the bushes/trees along a road, sure. But stuff like in that video or the Javelin test video someone posted, where the missile is launched from a very long range and homes in? I don't really see how effective screens could be there. Can you really push the infantry out to form a perimeter a mile or two away from the tank?

Maybe with infrared gear to see hiding people I guess, which is apparently another thing the Russian invaders are lacking.

Yes, ideally you would be using some kind of long range thermal optic to visually clear the terrain ahead of you before bringing your vehicles up. There's no reason dismounts need to be tethered to the vehicles, it's just another example of the lack of training for Russian troops.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think everyone should carefully reread that tweet. It’s about reliance on Russian gas, not any gas.

Im all for the tankie tears when the US buys out Maduro but that level of reduction requires less consumption

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

They never said it would collapse, not directly. It was a bad headline.

When they said is that units deployed with two weeks' worth of supplies. Those two weeks were up yesterday. If they're going to continue to be effective in the field, they will need external resupply. So from here on out the entire campaign will balance on Russia's ability to resupply the frontline troops.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ZombieLenin posted:

They’ve literally not moved at all in 48 hours. They are just shooting missiles now.

ISW's analysis in the Kyiv area:

quote:

Russian forces are concentrating in the eastern, northwestern, and western outskirts of Kyiv for an assault on the capital in the coming 24-96 hours. The Russians are bringing up supplies and reinforcements as well as conducting artillery, air, and missile attacks to weaken defenses and intimidate defenders in advance of such an assault. It is too soon to gauge the likely effectiveness of any Russian attempt to complete the encirclement of Kyiv or to seize the city at this time. If Russian troops have been able to resupply, reorganize, and plan deliberate and coordinated simultaneous operations along the several axes of advance around and into the capital, they may be more successful in this operation than they have in previous undertakings. Operations near Kyiv in the past 72 hours have not offered enough evidence to evaluate that likelihood.

Russian forces are likely completing preparations for an assault to seize Kyiv from the east and west within the next 24-96 hours. The Russians are setting conditions for the attack by concentrating supplies and reinforcements, attempting to advance and stabilize their lines, and attacking the city with air, artillery, and missile fire likely intended both to demoralize and to damage Kyiv’s defenders. The Ukrainian General Staff reported on March 6 that the Russians have started accumulating the resources they would need to storm the capital.[1] The General Staff noted that Ukrainian forces retain a coherent defense of the city at this time

the ukrainians believe the russians are preparing their assault, not just sitting there totally stalled and unable to do anything. i don't exactly think a direct assault in kyiv is a very good idea on russia's part, but it seems to be a growing consensus that the battle of kyiv will be happening soon. the war is not yet a stalemate, the russians continue to be able to complete operations albeit with significantly heavier than expected losses.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

PittTheElder posted:

Yesterday

Twitter was also saying that Russia ran out of cruise missiles by Day 3, so yeah.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Despera posted:

Solar could work but it will take a lot of time, money and land, plus a lot of very expensive batteries to keep power output stable. With this new energy crisis the question is what green or green-ish power source can be built the fastest. Which might not be fission, those aren't cheap or particularly fast to build either. They have much better energy density and are well established, but they also come with dump trucks of political baggage.

EDIT: sorry if this is too much of a derail, how Europe will compensate for cutting off the gas isn't really Ukraine's main concern right now

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Valtonen posted:

As a tanker id Note that m1a2 is just as vulnerable- in fact even MORE vulnerable- to your command being bunch of crooks who sold off all your fuel and spare parts and gave an OPORD of ”piggy column down the road straight into those javelins over there whilst enemy drone feeds real-time info on your location and all your comms are unencrypted”

A tank without fuel comms or command isnt weak Because Its not an abrams, Its weak Because of operator error.

Yeah, I agree. That should be point three.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Often Abbreviated posted:

The contrast to this is Ukraine didn't instruct a general mobilisation until ~36 hours into the war. Russia's got a lot left but they've allegedly committed everything they've got on hand and aren't sending anything more. Meanwhile Ukraine will be working round the clock to organise their reserves into new formations.

Don't think this was really true. The Ukrainians mobilized in stages, the last stage was complete after the war broke out but many of the earlier stages, including the mobilization of several recent reserve classes, happened before the war broke out.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Orthanc6 posted:

Solar could work but it will take a lot of time, money and land, plus a lot of very expensive batteries to keep power output stable. With this new energy crisis the question is what green or green-ish power source can be built the fastest. Which might not be fission, those aren't cheap or particularly fast to build either. They have much better energy density and are well established, but they also come with dump trucks of political baggage.

EDIT: sorry if this is too much of a derail, how Europe will compensate for cutting off the gas isn't really Ukraine's main concern right now

Germany has a ton of nuclear reactors that they could basically just refuel and turn on, and they’d provide something like 20% of their energy needs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't think this was really true. The Ukrainians mobilized in stages, the last stage was complete after the war broke out but many of the earlier stages, including the mobilization of several recent reserve classes, happened before the war broke out.

The initial mobilisation, that you’re thinking of, was just summoning active personnel, 180k of them. Subsequently there has been reserve mobilisation, and general mobilisation - and last time they did practice reserve mobilisation it took them 30 days iirc.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I think the American rule of thumb is that at 10% casualties (including injuries) the unit is completely spent and incapable of further offensive operations even if it's nominally still 90% there.

It's 30% for most US Army formations. For Marines it's 50%, but Marines have a much higher ratio of supporting fires to infantry than Army. The Russian Battalion Tactical Groups actually remind me of US Marine Expeditionary Units in some ways, in terms of their task organization.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Didn't see as much media today about protesters, not as much as yesterday. Oh, because the typical FAANG social media is pretty much shut down in Russia?

And Latvians. Still getting Russian tv?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Concerned Citizen posted:

i don't exactly think a direct assault in kyiv is a very good idea on russia's part, but it seems to be a growing consensus that the battle of kyiv will be happening soon.

Kyiv appears to be a target of fury: wounded strongman image is the primary need at issue

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

Didn't see as much media today about protesters, not as much as yesterday. Oh, because the typical FAANG social media is pretty much shut down in Russia?

And Latvians. Still getting Russian tv?

Yes to the first one, not quite to the second one. We had plenty of Russian TV banned before already, but this year there have obviously been further bans. I don’t watch TV myself, so I can’t tell you the exact details - I think all the most watched channels have been banned by now, with surviving stuff being only channels like “Hunting and fishing”. That said, since the availability of Russian TV has been historically lacklustre here, many active viewers of it just have satellite dishes pointed at Russian satellites. There’s a healthy black market for that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the ukrainians believe the russians are preparing their assault, not just sitting there totally stalled and unable to do anything. i don't exactly think a direct assault in kyiv is a very good idea on russia's part, but it seems to be a growing consensus that the battle of kyiv will be happening soon. the war is not yet a stalemate, the russians continue to be able to complete operations albeit with significantly heavier than expected losses.

Big "IF" with the resupply/reorganize. They just lost another general, the Chechnyans got murdered in camp, and the convoy that was bringing their supplies remains dead in the water. If they assault, its gonna be a slaughter.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The initial mobilisation, that you’re thinking of, was just summoning active personnel, 180k of them. Subsequently there has been reserve mobilisation, and general mobilisation - and last time they did practice reserve mobilisation it took them 30 days iirc.

30 days is including drills and exercises I'm sure, and giving them that time makes them much much more effective of course, so let's hope UA hasn't been forced to deploy them all with 2 days of workup, but still has a sizable reserve of fresh units in the east, getting better by the day.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1500962329269211138

lol.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Big "IF" with the resupply/reorganize. They just lost another general, the Chechnyans got murdered in camp, and the convoy that was bringing their supplies remains dead in the water. If they assault, its gonna be a slaughter.

It's not going to be on the level of casualties Western democracies would tolerate, but it was never going to be. Lot of people taking pictures of ten burnt trucks out of thousands and making many inferences.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

This is basically the conclusion of Michael Kofman, whose tweets this thread seems to like but who is ultimately a lot less sanguine than the majority of posters here.

He agrees that the Russians very much did want, and wrongly expected, to blitz a quick victory and install a puppet government before the world could respond. However, he emphasizes that just because the initial plan failed that doesn’t mean the Russians are beaten, and they’re now reorienting for a conventional, methodical campaign of positional warfare and massed firepower of the sort that their doctrine calls for.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Cross posting because holy :lol:

"There are no conscripts in Ukraine! None!" :shepface:

Do Russian officials just get off on lying? Is this a fetish?

I mean the whole Soviet system was built on an ever increasing rats nest of lies and bullshit. That didn't just disappear once it fell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fray posted:

This is basically the conclusion of Michael Kofman, whose tweets this thread seems to like but who is ultimately a lot less sanguine than the majority of posters here.

He agrees that the Russians very much did want, and wrongly expected, to blitz a quick victory and install a puppet government before the world could respond. However, he emphasizes that just because the initial plan failed that doesn’t mean the Russians are beaten, and they’re now reorienting for a conventional, methodical campaign of positional warfare and massed firepower of the sort that their doctrine calls for.

He knows what he's saying, but given the fact that half the Russian troops are largely falling apart conscripts forced into contracts, I have my doubts that they are suddenly going to get more competent.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

He knows what he's saying, but given the fact that half the Russian troops are largely falling apart conscripts forced into contracts, I have my doubts that they are suddenly going to get more competent.

Yeah...a lot of people keep talking about "competent" Russian military movements and I'm like "how and here exactly?"

Just today they lost another general and are using cellphones that can be pucked up by anybody.

Again, I don't think there is anybody "competent" left to take over.

Are they sending the legendary "elite troops" wave now? Maybe the VDV can airdrop into the cooling tower of that nuclear plant

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

CommieGIR posted:

as i recall (i might be wrong), kofman believes this force is largely professional and not conscripts. as in, this is the cream of the russian army, believe it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Or for a more top end estimate,

https://twitter.com/hellzbellza/status/1500988321908015110?s=20&t=cZaPh3NqKH_BHfjdF9sJRg