Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
it just now registered to me what the oddity is, which means it's been forever since I had to put up drywall that had wiring inside it.

is this a case where you're supposed to notch/drill to make a straight run or no?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Empty Sandwich posted:

it just now registered to me what the oddity is, which means it's been forever since I had to put up drywall that had wiring inside it.

is this a case where you're supposed to notch/drill to make a straight run or no?

Probably drill. The smallest hole possible, as close to the vertical centre of the joist.

Or you could do it the professional way and just cut a big notch in every joist along the wiring run, and run all the wires through it together.
Use zip ties to hold the wires in a bundle to make your work look tidy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

mr.belowaverage posted:

Here we go again

My “solution”

no advice, goonspeed

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

poo poo like this is why it blows my mind people would EVER waive a pre-purchase home inspection.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sloppy posted:

poo poo like this is why it blows my mind people would EVER waive a pre-purchase home inspection.

It's generally the only way to get an accepted offer these days.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

Probably drill. The smallest hole possible, as close to the vertical centre of the joist.

Or you could do it the professional way and just cut a big notch in every joist along the wiring run, and run all the wires through it together.
Use zip ties to hold the wires in a bundle to make your work look tidy.

I feel like that second option may be sarcasm.

Sloppy posted:

Baronjutter posted:

Most houses are currently being sold for over asking no questions asked by "investors" as fast as they can be listed. Good luck if you want to actually *live* in the house.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Darchangel posted:

Most houses are currently being sold for over asking no questions asked by "investors" as fast as they can be listed. Good luck if you want to actually *live* in the house.

This is why I'm looking at land instead.

I saw a parcel listed recently, 2.odd acres in the mountains, well, septic, and power already in place. Turns out the house burnt down and instead of rebuilding, they collected insurance and left. $24k in the Sangre de Cristos. I don't blame them for leaving either.

There are 5 acre parcels here for $5-10k. Getting a (40-60ft) well drilled is $10-12k right now (3-4 month wait). Lots with wells sell for $30-40k. I'm starting to think the way to make money on land here is buy a plot, drill a well, sell it for $8-18k above what I sink into it, and repeat until I have enough money to build my personal monstrosity on the edge of the San Juans.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CarForumPoster posted:

Am I crazy or are all those nails sticking up making it impossible to drywall?

It was drywalled. They have yet to pull the nails (or screws, hopefully)

CarForumPoster posted:

Otherwise whats wrong with this?

Wasps. And non-NEMA wire runs.

mr.belowaverage posted:

Here we go again

My “solution”

Well, no poo poo.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 8, 2022

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

For your consideration, whiteboxhouses (English description at bottom of each page.)

https://www.yamauchi-arc.com/works/house-at-niihama

This one is literally called "five voids house."
https://www.yamauchi-arc.com/works/five-voids-house

Lots of links to other houses at the bottom.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I was scrapping and sanding to prep my basement for repainting. Turns out there's lead paint down there. I don't spend much time down there, and I don't have kids. How hosed am I? I know there are remediation things you can do, but I don't know about the costs, time, etc.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sloppy posted:

Baronjutter posted:

Definitely varies by market. I'm buying now, and just had an inspection today on the new property, and we were one of 8 offers :barf:

We wrote into the contract a shorter (5 day) inspection period, and also wrote in that we weren't going to bug them with anything under $2k expected repair. It's like an inspection contingency with a $2k deductible :v:
I think it's a good compromise that lets the seller know you're not going to waste their time with a nickel and dime punch list but also lets the buyer flee with their earnest money in case it turns out to be a meth lab or needing five/six figure dollar amounts of remediation.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

PainterofCrap posted:

Well, no poo poo.

It made short work of about 4” of water above those 3” of solid ice. But it’s still not a solution. I’m kind of stressed about it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
From reddit

quote:

I've owned my home for 14 years (my first.) I came into it with little to no DIY experience and did a lot of learning along the way. We've renovated just about every room on the main floor (kitchen, bath, living room, bedrooms) and each time found terrible and sometimes dangerous work done by previous owners. For example, when renovating the kitchen we removed a floor-level cabinet from the wall and there was a power feed behind it. It was like they were going to put an outlet on the wall and instead put a cabinet. It was just wires pulled through a hole in the wall, stripped, exposed, and live. Elsewhere, since day 1 our shower never really drained well. When doing the bathroom over we discovered the shower drain had no pitch and was using a pipe half the normal size and wasn't vented properly.

Having remedied most of the upstairs I turned to the "finished" basement. Previous owners put up some shoddy framing and nailed wood boards onto it to act as paneling. There was a drop ceiling made with those 2'x4' white cardboard tiles and metal framing, with a large 2'x4' office / industrial fluorescent light fixture in the center of the room. I started the demo process with the ceiling to get rid of it all to see what I was dealing with. As expected, there was a wonderful surprise waiting for me. To get the big light fixture to fit properly and be even with the rest of the drop ceiling, they had decided to notch 4 of the joists.... in the center of their run... 27" inches long... and just shy of HALF the depth of the joist. Two of them were cracked, and if I pushed up on them they creaked. This was directly below the main floor living room. I put everything else on hold and immediately got some lumber to shore them up. I left a message for future owners as well (link to pictures, including a finished project home gym: https://imgur.com/a/NZeHK9G)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mr.belowaverage posted:

It made short work of about 4” of water above those 3” of solid ice. But it’s still not a solution. I’m kind of stressed about it.

It was a trite echo of the thread title :)

Your long-term solution, eventually, is to trench along the uphill outside wall and put a pump out there. Although if memory serves, you discussed this option.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

deoju posted:

I was scrapping and sanding to prep my basement for repainting. Turns out there's lead paint down there. I don't spend much time down there, and I don't have kids. How hosed am I? I know there are remediation things you can do, but I don't know about the costs, time, etc.

As an individual homeowner most states require very little of you. You are generally free to poison yourself to your hearts' content.

What do you want to accomplish? No matter what you were doing, I'd wash everything you were wearing while sanding and scraping. Wear a respirator (p100 is the standard for lead i believe) while you're down there until you've got the dust cleaned up.

The ideal way to clean up lead paint chips and dust is with a HEPA vac. A shop vac with drywall or HEPA bags is better than nothing, probably.

If you still need to sand down there, you can put down plastic and wet sand and then roll it up and throw it away. In general, keeping things moist will prevent the dust from going anywhere. Encapsulating is one of the most common ways of dealing with lead paint, i.e. paint over it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

mr.belowaverage posted:

Salt the basement!

(I dunno if it will solve your problem or make it worse, but either way, please post pics.)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

StormDrain posted:

Or my more mischievous guess is that the electrician was unsupervised and did all that before the contractor caught him, and the contractor was forced to add the furring.

Electricians and plumbers will put poo poo wherever if there isn’t somebody watching them.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

ryanrs posted:

Salt the basement!

You're right, that would definitely be a solution!

Not the right thread to really get into it, but PainterofCrap is right. A trench on the uphill side (where the garage door is) is probably the fix. If it's big enough and deep enough to direct water under and around the garage, I can probably avoid the need for an external sump pump. The exacerbating issue, is my neighbours yard is elevated above mine, and twice the size. I get all the runoff from his yard and my own, and it's especially bad this time of year as the snow melt start. During spring/summer/fall, there's no water in the garage.

Vim Fuego posted:

From reddit

I found a similar issue in my basement after removing ceiling tiles. Four joists had been notched to accomodate a duct. And by notched, I mean 90% cut out to fit an 8" trunk. Fortunately the remaining massive true dimensional joists in this 122 year old shitheap were able to hold without issue. There isn't even a dip.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Hello thread, I have wanted to post pictures of this house for the last 5 years. Its about a mile away from where I live. I finally had the chance to take some pictures while my teenage son and I were out on a driving lesson. I dont know much about who owns it but its been under construction for at least 10 years.
It sits across the road from a small "no wake" lake in a really nice neighborhood in the country. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I've recently heard the owner is fighting a battle with his HOA because he wants to make it a VRBO. I'm pretty sure the outside facade is made from some sort of Styrofoam.

Around here this place is simply known as "The Castle".

Edit: we rode by on the 4 wheeler once and the two front doors were wide open. The best I could tell directly inside the doors is the kitchen. Not a grand entry or stair case, just a boring rear end kitchen with standard Home Depot cabinets. Another thing that stood out was the kitchen was full of exercise equipment. Like bowmaster type things and treadmills.

mds2 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 8, 2022

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

mds2 posted:

I've recently heard the owner is fighting a battle with his HOA because he wants to make it a VRBO.

That is their problem with the house?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Blue Moonlight posted:

That is their problem with the house?

I almost feel bad for the people that live next to The Castle. There are about ten really nice $700,000-1,000,000 houses sitting around it in this neighborhood.

Here is the zillow listing. There are zero pictures on zillow or google street view of this place.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9191-W-Burnham-St-Lincoln-NE-68339/245733059_zpid/

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's no Gwynn castle, that's for drat sure.

https://castlegwynn.com/

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

When my old kitchen ceiling had to be taken down due to a flood from the bathroom above, the wiring for the spotlights had been stapled onto the joists and the plasterboard just sort of shimmed on top of it. The electrician that came to sort the lights out looked at it and said "I would characterise this as amateurish at best" and rewired it all.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That castle is magical.

My old house (the one that was crushed by the tree in Jan 2019, I posted it in this thread) was sold by my landlord for $99k after we moved out June 2021 and is back on the market for $195k now. It's been remodeled into a gray void with new kitchen, bathroom, windows, paint, etc, but somehow I have a feeling they didn't do anything about all the dry rot under the siding (or any of the other real structural issues).

They did, however, appear to have moved the heat vent so there's now heat in the master bedroom. It used to be right outside the door, which was very stupid.

edit: is it bad that I kind of want to go tour it? I went to pick up some mail and I wanted to peer in the windows but all the blinds were closed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

NEC Article 100.

Bathroom. An area including a sink (basin) with one or more of the following: a toilet, a urinal, a tub, a shower, a bidet, or similar plumbing fixtures.

No sink. Not a bathroom. Totally legal. :razz:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It’s for power making GBS threads.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

They didn't even remove the toilet paper roll when they spray painted that room.

And what's with the open pipe (vent stack?) with hoses?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Jaded Burnout posted:

It’s for power making GBS threads.

:dadjoke:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Wandering Orange posted:

They didn't even remove the toilet paper roll when they spray painted that room.

Washer hookup?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Wandering Orange posted:

Either they're just hanging there when not in use or the only thing I can imagine is that they're intended for power-washing the drain pipe system. Considering that it has a trap at the bottom, it's clearly connected straight to the drains and isn't just there to keep the hoses in place.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wandering Orange posted:

This is a level of not giving a poo poo that I haven't seen since I lived in a place with a painted-over dead gecko.

America
Apr 26, 2017

Just yesterday I discovered that the strange disc protruding 1/16" from the top of the radiator is a painted-on penny.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

America posted:

Just yesterday I discovered that the strange disc protruding 1/16" from the top of the radiator is a painted-on penny.

LOL. I removed a bunch of shelving in our master closet and found about a half dozen pennies painted over and a puzzle piece.

Last week I replaced a return air vent and the duct had about two dozen children's letter tiles, like paper scrabble tiles, and someone's announcement for something at a church from 1983, it was nearly completely unreadable. I was able to get a date from a clean corner and a location from the opposite corner. For a moment I thought it was going to be a note from the original owners but it was just garbage a child slid into the return most likely.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My grandad used to leave stuff inside walls, behind panelling etc. When he would renovate something. I guess so he would remember when he did it or something?

Newspaper clipping from 1968 under the bathtub, 1972 Hamilton tiger cats schedule under the counters in the kitchen and so on.

It's kinda neat finding that stuff. Or maybe not depending on your view of the world.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

wesleywillis posted:

It's kinda neat finding that stuff. Or maybe not depending on your view of the world.

I remember once while we were doing some renovations at this kinda mansiony-looking place, we found some ancient newspapers, narrating the uncertainty and upheaval of mandatory public schooling's introduction in Denmark. Stuff like that is kind of interesting.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

My grandad used to leave stuff inside walls, behind panelling etc. When he would renovate something. I guess so he would remember when he did it or something?

Newspaper clipping from 1968 under the bathtub, 1972 Hamilton tiger cats schedule under the counters in the kitchen and so on.

I found some load-bearing crushed beer cans used as shims under radiator pipes when I renovated my flat in Glasgow, Scotland.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah granddad may have done some questionable construction thing WRT concrete that was way thicker than a normal walkway need be, or poles set like 7 feet in to the ground but I never remember hearing about or seeing any structural liquor bottles or ironing boards etc.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah granddad may have done some questionable construction thing WRT concrete that was way thicker than a normal walkway need be, or poles set like 7 feet in to the ground but I never remember hearing about or seeing any structural liquor bottles or ironing boards etc.

There's a body under there, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Danhenge posted:

As an individual homeowner most states require very little of you. You are generally free to poison yourself to your hearts' content.

What do you want to accomplish? No matter what you were doing, I'd wash everything you were wearing while sanding and scraping. Wear a respirator (p100 is the standard for lead i believe) while you're down there until you've got the dust cleaned up.

The ideal way to clean up lead paint chips and dust is with a HEPA vac. A shop vac with drywall or HEPA bags is better than nothing, probably.

If you still need to sand down there, you can put down plastic and wet sand and then roll it up and throw it away. In general, keeping things moist will prevent the dust from going anywhere. Encapsulating is one of the most common ways of dealing with lead paint, i.e. paint over it.

Thanks for the info.