Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Happy to report that I successfully KILLED CHAOS in the pixel remaster and am primed to do it again on the PS5. Its kinda funny, even with the speedy leveling and other QoL features the only two spots that were any real trouble were the Marsh Cave and Chaos fight, just like when I played the original all those years ago.

Will be interesting to see just how much of FF1 they keep. Like I know the underwater shrine is a mako reactor now but will I still need to buy a fairy's freedom from an ambiguous desert trader to get oxyale to get down there? Will I still need to feed a golem a delicious ruby? Will all my friends become bats? I can't wait to find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/SOPFFO/status/1500803450703159299?s=20&t=J7ACYCVNSNn9C_UArSu2TQ

Another SoP original location, though mostly looks based on Cavern of Ice, based on Mt Gagazet from X.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I have nightmares about Gagazet, namely because of that unskippable cutscene followed by that ball-buster fight.

Finished the first act of FF7 in a replay of four hours. I dread to think how they expanded the same section into a thirty hour game.

Yuffie strikes me as very insincere, because despite mourning Aerith she'll still steal all your poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I have nightmares about Gagazet, namely because of that unskippable cutscene followed by that ball-buster fight.

Finished the first act of FF7 in a replay of four hours. I dread to think how they expanded the same section into a thirty hour game.

Yuffie strikes me as very insincere, because despite mourning Aerith she'll still steal all your poo poo.

yuffie liked aerith. she also likes materia. your materia, specifically

I’m just now remembering how if you send her alone down one of the Crater’s branching paths she’ll clean the place out and claim it was empty when she got there. or was that apocryphal?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

If in any junction where the party splits the player sends Yuffie alone in any way, once the party gathers up at the bottom, she will not give the items she found to the player, and will lie and claim she found nothing. At this point, any characters sent alongside Yuffie remind her, and she grudgingly gives up the items, but if Yuffie was sent alone she will keep the items.

It was real.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that little so-and-so!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Every character in the game is disappointed in Yuffie, even her dad.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
man im excited for ff origin

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

20 years later, getting the Sun Sigil in FFX's Catcher Chocobo is still bullshit. :colbert:

I did it, but it's still bullshit. :colbert: :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

eonwe posted:

man im excited for ff origin

:same:

I am going to farm CHAOS and get the best gear and then kill CHAOS even harder.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 8, 2022

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I wrapped up the FFIV Pixel Remaster - overall a nice, enjoyable way of reliving one of the defining moments of my childhood and the real reason I got into RPGs. I recall slogging through FFI and Dragon Warrior but not really understanding them. It wasn't until Final Fantasy IIIV that I call the real potential of the genre. Still love it and its influence on me.

They totally nerfed Zeromus, didn't they? Big Bang wasn't the calamity it was in just about every other version of the game. A lot of other things got rebalanced I noticed. Like whips. They're neigh useless in the Pixel Remaster. I've always wanted to give Rydia some kind of physical offense to save on MP, but really it was easy to keep her in full nuke mode. Mist Dragon stayed extremely relevant through the entire thing. I also saw Slow work with almost all bosses, which I don't remember happening before. Chalk it up to the "easy breezy" nature of the Pixel Remasters, I guess.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Grimthwacker posted:

I wrapped up the FFIV Pixel Remaster - overall a nice, enjoyable way of reliving one of the defining moments of my childhood and the real reason I got into RPGs. I recall slogging through FFI and Dragon Warrior but not really understanding them. It wasn't until Final Fantasy IIIV that I call the real potential of the genre. Still love it and its influence on me.

They totally nerfed Zeromus, didn't they? Big Bang wasn't the calamity it was in just about every other version of the game. A lot of other things got rebalanced I noticed. Like whips. They're neigh useless in the Pixel Remaster. I've always wanted to give Rydia some kind of physical offense to save on MP, but really it was easy to keep her in full nuke mode. Mist Dragon stayed extremely relevant through the entire thing. I also saw Slow work with almost all bosses, which I don't remember happening before. Chalk it up to the "easy breezy" nature of the Pixel Remasters, I guess.

I can't speak for the rest but Slow has always been extremely effective against everything in 4.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did leaping on the veldt always cause the game to re-average Gau's level?

Because it sure as poo poo does in FF6PR and uh.. that's kind of a big oversight!

edit: lmao on the plus side it apparently gives him the bonus for whatever equipped esper he has for all those levels, so now I have a Gau who just gained 26 levels and now has 108 strength

edit 2: I've been systematically leveling each character to 50 to get the achievement by:

-Heading to the island with Doma
-Casting Vanish on themselves
-Equipping a Growth Egg
-Getting into random encounters on the grasslands areas. Each encounter solo with a growth egg gives at least a level per fight until level 45 or so, and all the enemies you find there exclusively use physical attacks.

Gau was my last character to level, so I was running around on the veldt to get the Io rage since flare star chews through random encounters pretty effectively. I ran into a group of Tonberries and leapt into them because gently caress dealing with that, and suddenly the achievement for getting all characters to level 50 popped. When I got Gau a few fights later he was level 54, when he'd been level 28 a few minutes previous.

dolphinbomb fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 8, 2022

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also either I broke his scripting somehow or the Magi Master doesn't cast Ultima anymore if he dies while berserked :psyduck:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Wolfsheim posted:

Happy to report that I successfully KILLED CHAOS in the pixel remaster and am primed to do it again on the PS5. Its kinda funny, even with the speedy leveling and other QoL features the only two spots that were any real trouble were the Marsh Cave and Chaos fight, just like when I played the original all those years ago.

Will be interesting to see just how much of FF1 they keep. Like I know the underwater shrine is a mako reactor now but will I still need to buy a fairy's freedom from an ambiguous desert trader to get oxyale to get down there? Will I still need to feed a golem a delicious ruby? Will all my friends become bats? I can't wait to find out!

I too bought FF1PR in anticipation of SoP. It is making me very excited. I only just took down Astos but I feel my hype levels rising to critical levels.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Wait poo poo what if Jack and gang are the 5 Lufenians who got turned into bats in the Chaos Shrine???

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Grimthwacker posted:

That's what you get for horsin' around.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/SOPFFO/status/1501165849729658881?s=20&t=hjZ6M33JsLWkQ8UPIHHKXA

FF9 repped by Evil Forest.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I know there's only so many ways that you can do that kind of setting, but that's just Darkroot Garden. Like, I'm pretty sure a few of those areas are straight copies.

It's also probably either the Marsh Cave standin or the area around it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

dolphinbomb posted:

Also either I broke his scripting somehow or the Magi Master doesn't cast Ultima anymore if he dies while berserked :psyduck:

I think Berserk always blocked him from casting ultima on death and was the reason to use that gimmick.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jack don't just drink water out of a tree stump you don't know what's in there.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

He knows exactly what's in there: water! :dumb:

Also lol he climbs a rope like a dork

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think Berserk always blocked him from casting ultima on death and was the reason to use that gimmick.

Berserk only prevented him from changing his weakness and casting spells, Ultima couldn't be stopped unless you drained his MP with Rasp/Osmose.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does Berserking Omniscient in V PR still make him pack a punch?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Bullshit.

*rocks out to limp bizkit while chugging stump water*

*gets giardia*

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jack is unfortunately a believer in Raw Water.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

esuna exists, it's fine

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Little did people realize that 'chaos' is Jack's nickname for the bathroom.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are we getting ff16 crumbs tomorrow

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Starting my hunt this week to snag a PS5 for SoP and XVI.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

are we getting ff16 crumbs tomorrow

I am betting we dont but that would be really nice if we did.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So all we are missing are 4, 5, 6, and 8, right?

Oh wait, 4 is Tower of Babil. So just 5/6/8 missing.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 8, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

grieving for Gandalf posted:

esuna exists, it's fine

Not in cutscenes

People die and even if you know Raise and Curaga or have 99 Phoenix Downs in your inventory it doesn't matter

Buncha jerks

Worst part of RPGs

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Did we get one for XV?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Throwing in my bet that V will be Library of the Ancients represented somewhere.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DanielCross posted:

Did we get one for XV?

There was a JP promo livestream that showed off an Insomnia Castle zone so yes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Not in cutscenes

People die and even if you know Raise and Curaga or have 99 Phoenix Downs in your inventory it doesn't matter

Buncha jerks

Worst part of RPGs

A notable part of galuf's death scene is that the other three literally stand around him spamming spells to no effect

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Throwing in my bet that V will be Library of the Ancients represented somewhere.

The first DLC, going by its name, is going to be Gilgamesh so the main game almost certainly won't use the Big Bridge. Maybe Exdeath's castle or the Forest of Moore as the SoP inspired location.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Weird question: is there a reason to prefer the Wizardry style names for spells instead of just Cure2, Fire3, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Not in cutscenes

Buncha jerks

Worst part of RPGs

Phoenix downs and stuff work perfectly fine on dead people, but only mostly dead people. Cutscene death usually makes you all dead.

There’s a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there’s usually only one thing you can do.

Go through his clothes and look for loose change.