Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

massrafter why did you change your avatar after 14 years

It was me, STONE COLD 64! It was me all along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BrigadierSensible posted:

What is the lucha libre etiquette when it goes the other way?

i.e. A famous star who for many years has wrestled unmasked, decides to wear a mask. Are there any famous instances of that happening? Do they keep the same name/character? Do they have the same issues if the choose to unmask?

mascara ano 2000 wears a mask when he's teaming with the NGD's it's not a big deal

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

i.e. A famous star who for many years has wrestled unmasked, decides to wear a mask. Are there any famous instances of that happening? Do they keep the same name/character? Do they have the same issues if the choose to unmask?

That's Mr. America, brother.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Usually wrestlers take on a new gimmick. EMLL wanted Volador to remask (he'd been unmasked as Remo Banda for over a decade) so they eventually decided on Volador. Then after he lost that mask he became Super Parka.

The closest I can think of someone keeping the same name/character is Silver King becoming Silver Cain to be able to remask, he'd lost his mask early in his career and decided he wanted to remask years later. So he changed the name but just barely.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

MassRafTer posted:

The closest I can think of someone keeping the same name/character is Silver King becoming Silver Cain to be able to remask, he'd lost his mask early in his career and decided he wanted to remask years later. So he changed the name but just barely.
Easier than getting those 12 more wins.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's the oldest that someone has started pro wrestling and made a real career of it? I can't think of anyone older than the Boogeyman, who at least had a career at a high level, has a Legends contract and seems comfortably semi-retired.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

What's the oldest that someone has started pro wrestling and made a real career of it? I can't think of anyone older than the Boogeyman, who at least had a career at a high level, has a Legends contract and seems comfortably semi-retired.

DDP started physically wrestling in his mid-to-late 30s, though he'd had a career as a manager and commentator before that

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
My wife and I are coming to the States at the end of April for our honeymoon, splitting eight days between New York and Las Vegas. Is there a way of looking up if there is any sort of local indie wrestling taking place whilst we are there?

I am aware there is a wrestling collectors store in, I think, Long Island, but shy of MSG/Manhattan Center, is there any other sort of wrestling-related/themed sight or store that we should check out?

I don't envisage Las Vegas offering anything wrestling related, and we're a month too early for AEW's next PPV, but I don't suppose the parking lot from Caesars Palace that housed WM9 is viewable?

Thank you

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Batista was like 35 but also with all of those guys they were genetic freaks. I think less people are gonna wanna see a chubby 5'11 40 year old wrestle.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

britishbornandbread posted:

My wife and I are coming to the States at the end of April for our honeymoon, splitting eight days between New York and Las Vegas. Is there a way of looking up if there is any sort of local indie wrestling taking place whilst we are there?

I am aware there is a wrestling collectors store in, I think, Long Island, but shy of MSG/Manhattan Center, is there any other sort of wrestling-related/themed sight or store that we should check out?

I don't envisage Las Vegas offering anything wrestling related, and we're a month too early for AEW's next PPV, but I don't suppose the parking lot from Caesars Palace that housed WM9 is viewable?

Thank you

La Lucha closed, but there's apparently Luchadores NYC another lucha themed restaurant. I know nothing about it.

Gosuke in mid-town isn't wrestling themed but it's owned by one half of the Jumping Bomb Angels.

As for indies, check the NYWC, House of Glory and GCW sites or twitter accounts for NY dates.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Batista was like 35 but also with all of those guys they were genetic freaks. I think less people are gonna wanna see a chubby 5'11 40 year old wrestle.

Hey, I’m not 40 yet

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Yea, I think Earnest Miller was ~33 when he started in WCW and dudes not a genetic freak.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Takeshi Sugiura started in the NOAH Dojo at age 30 and probably has the best career of anybody that started training at that age

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't think i've ever seen Regal actually wrestle, does he have any outstanding matches people would recommend? I've always liked him as a giant loving presence and extremely believable authority figure, but the only time I think I even saw him enter to wrestle a match is that one video where bryan danielson has them play regal's old theme as a rib

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flatluigi posted:

I don't think i've ever seen Regal actually wrestle, does he have any outstanding matches people would recommend? I've always liked him as a giant loving presence and extremely believable authority figure, but the only time I think I even saw him enter to wrestle a match is that one video where bryan danielson has them play regal's old theme as a rib

His match with Ultimo Dragon at Slamboree 97 is still worth watching and I don't think that highly of Regal in generla.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

flatluigi posted:

Sort of by the definition of where & when he wrestled he's not got what you'd call ***** matches, he came through in England past the peak of wrestling so there's not much TV footage, (though there is some between ITV Wrestling & also wrestling for Orig Williams in Wales but he was very green obviously), he was a midcarder in 90s WCW & early 00s WWE. So he's working within the confines of shorter TV matches. He's also not really a flashy guy, despite the quite broad character he'd play, it's a lot of really solid fundamentals rather than necessarily "cool poo poo matches" that I tend towards because at heart I am a child impressed most of all by fancy things that glimmer & shine nice.

But all that said, you could worse than seeing the time where he challenged Shinya Hashimoto for the IWGP Heavyweight Title in New Japan in 1995, which is on Daily Motion. There's also the kind of dumb but also nasty parking lot brawl from 96 Nitro with Fit Finlay, which really does just come off as a fight (or did, it's been 5 years since I've seen it). Honestly, you can't go too wrong with just looking for matches Regal had with either Finlay or Benoit (if you can stomach him, your mileage may vary) & watching them. And then at the start of the 2010s he had some fun matches in WWE developmental with guys like Chris Hero, Cesaro & Jon Moxley. The Moxley match in FCW is probably especially relevant considering.

What I like is that he was really good at putting across meanness on screen.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

William Regal’s best work is all character rather than wrestler, and that’s not a knock on his wrestling.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Regal likes to bust out some unusual moves sometimes which i always really enjoyed.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The Duchess of Queensbury match against Jericho from 2001 absolutely rules - it is the correct kind of silliness.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

Just remembered The Butcher

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

bodyguard started wrestling at 40, is still going at it at 53 and hasn't had a bad career tho admittedly modern all japan has been his highest profile promotion

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flatluigi posted:

If it's against Dave Finlay, watch it

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The Duchess of Queensbury match against Jericho from 2001 absolutely rules - it is the correct kind of silliness.

I will defend his match with Finlay at Great American Bash 2006 to the death. It's simultaneously harrowing, hilarious and amazing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If you can track it down, it's absolutely worth finding Regal's FCW feud with Mox. Really intense and brutal stuff that really sells the "mutual respect from beating each other's asses constantly" thing they have going on.

I don't have links, but I recall someone making a playlist on Youtube or Dailymotion.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

britishbornandbread posted:

Thank you
Las Vegas Fight Shop is an enormous store that holds a ton of wrestling mma and boxing merch. The Nerd down in fremont also often offers weird wrestling related tchotchkes

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's probably not all that great compared to some of the ones mentioned already, but I think Regal's match versus Jericho at WMX7 is a really good show opener. Crisp wrestling, good psychology. Kind of surprised to learn that both guys were not really all that high on it in their respective books (likewise Lance Storm, who was obviously close to both guys and at the show), though they both strike me as perfectionists.

As mentioned, the Duchess of Queensbury match from the following month is a fun comedy match. The blow-off was a cage match on Raw, though I can't remember much about it, including whether or not it was good.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The knee trembler is a cool move

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He had a match with Finlay at a WCW PPV in 1996 (I think?) that was stiff as gently caress too. Basically, if you put Regal in the ring with Finlay, you’re going to have a good time.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

edogawa rando posted:

He had a match with Finlay at a WCW PPV in 1996 (I think?) that was stiff as gently caress too.

Yeah, Uncensored 96. It was rad

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
What is the best drawing comedy gimmick?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Quinntan posted:

Big Daddy from England?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The Rock, although his alleged "comedy" was not usually funny. Unless he was telling a heel to turn something sideways, which still makes me laugh today.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Probably Dude Love right?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Quinntan posted:

Danhausen

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Quinntan posted:

It was always kind of funny when Lawler would use the telestrator on replays

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Quinntan posted:

Mankind?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The Rock, although his alleged "comedy" was not usually funny. Unless he was telling a heel to turn something sideways, which still makes me laugh today.

A lot of it has aged like milk as well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SG Bamboo posted:

Yeah, Uncensored 96. It was rad

Aye, that's the one. They just absolutely battered the gently caress out of each other and it rules.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Regal didn't have "great" matches generally but I always looked forward to seeing what weird poo poo he would do, especially in WCW. His wrestling got more normal in the WWE but he did find a really excellent hair style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Regal was excellent at the small things in the ring.

Like grinding his elbow/forearm into the face of the opponent as he is pinning him. Just small vicious things like that.