Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Wallet posted:

The water has really cleared up (hooray). There's some bladder snails in there because of course there are, but I guess they'll eventually get eaten. At least they seem to be going at the white mold or whatever that popped up on one of the pieces of wood. I was in there late last night so I figured I'd get some pictures while I was reflection free so I can tell if/how much things start growing. Bonus finger in the only shot I got of the right end.

I was going to put the heater over near the intake to hide it but it complains about not getting enough flow there so I had to move it :(

I was wondering about how to handle cycling though. My plan was to just run amanos and maybe a few nerites in there for a while to keep things clean while the tank seasons a bit, but is that going to be enough bio load to keep the bacteria going? I don't really want to drop pure ammonia on top of shramps.

OPINIONS:

1) This looks awesome good job!

2) those dumb loving fluval series e? heaters or whatever? they need current and the lighting on the LED screens dies and then the LED screen as a whole dies. They will hold a solid temp for a long long time. dial it in and buy a thermometer just to make sure

3) white mold on driftwood is good and goes away in like 2 weeks? some poo poo will eat it

4) Nerites are cool and like bigger tank smaller snail, grabbing a half dozen is not the worst thing. SOME OF THEM BURROW (gently caress YOU RACERS). avoid those

5) Amano's are hardy but expensive. Still def buy early and often and in quantity cause once they hit adult they live for loving ever. They are an easy shrimps but you have lots of space and they are cheaper the more you buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

OR you can go cheap AF and just start tossing Ghost Shrimp in. Don't buy any with the white parasitic worm. PetSmart's supplier (Segrest) seems to be pretty good? A lot of non-chain LFS's not so much.

If you are unsure, ask yourself "do any of these Ghost Shrimp look to be filled with a white worm?" Ghost Shrimp are supposed to be clear and/or the color of the food you are gut-loading them with before they get eaten.

Don't buy parasite ridden Ghost Shrimp. If you can find clean Ghost Shrimp they're like three for a dollar? They're cheap and work and a lot of them will live but that will not be a problem? Ghost Shrimp are pretty perfect.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Seconding that Amanos can live a long time. I've got some that are well on their way to five years old at this point.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

2) those dumb loving fluval series e? heaters or whatever? they need current and the lighting on the LED screens dies and then the LED screen as a whole dies. They will hold a solid temp for a long long time. dial it in and buy a thermometer just to make sure

Yeah, I have a small independent thermometer running on the other end of the tank near the canister intake just to keep an eye on things. It's at 77 right now and seems steady.

quote:

5) Amano's are hardy but expensive. Still def buy early and often and in quantity cause once they hit adult they live for loving ever. They are an easy shrimps but you have lots of space and they are cheaper the more you buy.
I'm inclined towards amanos over ghost shrimp. Buce seems to have them for not a lot of money, which is where I got most of the plants from. I was thinking about ten, which I imagine is enough?

candystarlight posted:

Beautiful! Really love the contrast of the rocks against the green plants. The huge one on the right side is what my dreams are made of.
The plant, you mean? The big anubias in front is heterophylla I think.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Eh. I assume at least some of the plants came from a store/grower/seller/etc tank and would have some bacteria slime coat or brought their own water? Give the tank like 2 weeks to mature and you can probably go ahead and start stocking fish tbh.
There's a bunch of java fern plantlets (and some snails) from my own tank downstairs so there's definitely seed bacteria in there.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Hey I took a trip to the cool local pet shop a few towns over yesterday to see what they had and pickup a few more plants since my dump blue crayfish didnt molt correctly and now has deformed pincher claws till his next molt I have a break from that little rear end in a top hat snipping all my plants at the root for no reason.

I got more plants because of course but they also had some really energetic fun to watch 'mystic sharks' the owner referred to them as, which I dont know a ton but I know small freshwater sharks are catfish family. They were really lively and swimming midtank nonstop and pretty so I grabbed two.

Got em home and let em sit in their bag as I did a water change and planted the new plants, then finally added them. they sank like rocks and did some weird head first dive into the nearest plants they could find and just stuck there floating vertically lodged into various plants not moving for a good 20 minutes... had I not let them acclimate for plenty of time I would have thought shock, maybe it still was Im not sure.

But after a bit they decided there was no immediate danger and started swimming around, one of the two got pretty banged up on the car ride home, the pet shops a good 50 minute ride to get to the small non chain store that has cool stuff and its still cold winter new england but they were in a heated car. neither seemed so worse for the wear that I worried for their lives tho.

Its been about 24 hours now, maybe a little more and even after they snapped out of their weird initial possum play dead state they both hide in the very back corner and almost never leave or really even move around. they are alive, I can see them breathing but they are not the energetic interesting fish they were in the store.

I had read once that some loaches are extremely sensitive to noise and vibration like from air pumps and when I came home today (the house was empty and silent) I saw one of the two swimming around but the second I walked into the room it darted for the corner so fast it smashed into the glass. I mean they came from a pet shop , they cant be that ultra sensitive or theyd have gone nuts right? are they still just adjusting? should I try turning off the air stones or would that potentially be bad for the other fish? its a 75g bow front potted tropical tank with 2 guppies a half dozen angels and a crayfish. I specifically picked those sharks cause they were midtank swimmers, Im hesitant to do bottom dwellers since eventually that cray is gonna molt his claws back and I dont wanna come home to half a fish one day.

Any idea why my sharks are acting this way ? Do they just need more time maybe ?

edit: some pics

Hi fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 5, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wallet posted:

There's a bunch of java fern plantlets (and some snails) from my own tank downstairs so there's definitely seed bacteria in there.

Oh word, if you dump like a cupful of old cycled tank water (or presoak some filter media—some ppl keep extra bags of filter media in their running filters for that purpose, or to quickly seed a quarantine tank, etc) in then you don’t really need much cycling/maturing time at all.

Some ppl wait a few days after inoculating, some people just go for it

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hi posted:

Hey I took a trip to the cool local pet shop a few towns over yesterday to see what they had and pickup a few more plants since my dump blue crayfish didnt molt correctly and now has deformed pincher claws till his next molt I have a break from that little rear end in a top hat snipping all my plants at the root for no reason.

I got more plants because of course but they also had some really energetic fun to watch 'mystic sharks' the owner referred to them as, which I dont know a ton but I know small freshwater sharks are catfish family. They were really lively and swimming midtank nonstop and pretty so I grabbed two.

Got em home and let em sit in their bag as I did a water change and planted the new plants, then finally added them. they sank like rocks and did some weird head first dive into the nearest plants they could find and just stuck there floating vertically lodged into various plants not moving for a good 20 minutes... had I not let them acclimate for plenty of time I would have thought shock, maybe it still was Im not sure.

But after a bit they decided there was no immediate danger and started swimming around, one of the two got pretty banged up on the car ride home, the pet shops a good 50 minute ride to get to the small non chain store that has cool stuff and its still cold winter new england but they were in a heated car. neither seemed so worse for the wear that I worried for their lives tho.

Its been about 24 hours now, maybe a little more and even after they snapped out of their weird initial possum play dead state they both hide in the very back corner and almost never leave or really even move around. they are alive, I can see them breathing but they are not the energetic interesting fish they were in the store.

I had read once that some loaches are extremely sensitive to noise and vibration like from air pumps and when I came home today (the house was empty and silent) I saw one of the two swimming around but the second I walked into the room it darted for the corner so fast it smashed into the glass. I mean they came from a pet shop , they cant be that ultra sensitive or theyd have gone nuts right? are they still just adjusting? should I try turning off the air stones or would that potentially be bad for the other fish? its a 75g bow front potted tropical tank with 2 guppies a half dozen angels and a crayfish. I specifically picked those sharks cause they were midtank swimmers, Im hesitant to do bottom dwellers since eventually that cray is gonna molt his claws back and I dont wanna come home to half a fish one day.

Any idea why my sharks are acting this way ? Do they just need more time maybe ?

Very pretty!

I don't see the catfish....I am hoping they aren't P. hypophthalmus.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

Very pretty!

I don't see the catfish....I am hoping they aren't P. hypophthalmus.

Yea they are hiding behind that drift wood in the left corner.

looking at wikipedia for P. hypophthalmus, it definitely looks like them. the juveniles have stripes, which mine do, and the comment about them seeing things and fleeing in a mad dash aligns very closely with what I experienced today.

I guess the guy at the pet shop was technically correct when he said theyd get to be 8 to 10 inches, in that thats as big as theyre likely to grow in a 75g tank. Wonder if he knew and was being slimey or if just thought 8-10inches was their actual adult size.

This guys never steered me wrong before, which is why I drive the extra bit for his shop, and he did even identify a different cat as Iridescent Sharks, which seems to be the nickname for P. hypophthalmus, and claimed these were "Mystic Sharks" ... but I cant find anything under that name but Iridescent Sharks when I google Mystics. if they ever come out Ill try and snap some pics but in the mean time, theyre mine now and Ive got time to figure out what Im going to do with a potentially 4ft catfish the more immediate thing is their behavior im still worried they aren't acclimating

Hi fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 5, 2022

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hi posted:

I'm surprised your angels lasted. I figured they're fairly aggressive, they'll be able to deal with a crayfish. 6 of them lasted three weeks. My cray kept eating the fins off them and then leaving the bodies behind

Here's mine

Just got the plastic plants in because the crays maul live ones. Seems they like it

And my big male. He started out brownish green and turned blue and orange with his last molt

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 5, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
that’s a nice big tank for a cray—and lmao at keeping them with literally any other livestock that isn’t intended as a feeder

In middle/high school I had a big crayfish for like 3-4 years in a converted plastic bin (no idea why I thought that would be better than a cheap 10gal—probably because I got it at a LFS within walking distance of my house and I initially had to hide it from my parents) with a sponge filter and a small hide.

The thing was a monster. I’d occasionally give it feeder guppies and it would launch itself at them, flipping its body upside down to catch them in the water.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

SocketWrench posted:

I'm surprised your angels lasted. I figured they're fairly aggressive, they'll be able to deal with a crayfish. 6 of them lasted three weeks. My cray kept eating the fins off them and then leaving the bodies behind

Here's mine

Just got the plastic plants in because the crays maul live ones. Seems they like it

And my big male. He started out brownish green and turned blue and orange with his last molt

jesus that thing looks like the leviathan lobster god from memes of old.

mine hasnt killed my angels cause hes just a lil baby blue cray not some monster behemoth.

He isnt killing anything at the moment cause he didnt successfully molt last time and now hes got freakish broken pinchers that twist in like seven different angles and are fused shut. but even before the molting mishap best he ever managed was picking off a molly that wasnt doing well when I accidently shocked my tank doing a big water change at the same time I cleaned out the bucket filter. hes never touched an angel, if anything they seem to, maybe not bully him but they certainly dont fear him they will try and steal his sinking algae tablets right out of his claws and he just gets mad and goes back in his cave.

I missed the part about those being plastic plants, they look good. my cray is small enough that if I pick plants with a relatively thick base he leaves them alone.. the real thin stringy plants he likes to snip and watch float away but if theyve got some girth to em he seems to leave them alone. its been trial an error, my one poor plant he seems to hate with a passion and snips ever time he walks passed it but its resilient and I just stick the snipped piece back in the substrate somewhere else and it usually takes root again eventually.

I cant get a good pic because tank lights arent on but one of those sharks is swimming all over this morning, so maybe they just needed more time to adjust. again its hard to identify because searching that on google seems like it brings up about eighty different catfish breeds that all look generally similar. They do look like some of the pics of the juveniles im seeing when I image search Iridescent Shark, long body, that faux shark fine, long horizontal black and silver striping that runs the length of their body. Im sure if its not that exact species its probably close enough that its not an ideal aquarium fish and needs a chinese river to live in, unfortunately theyre already mine and I live in New Jersey which is notably absent of Chinese Rivers so Ill probably just make the best of it if I cant find anyone better suited to raise them.

Hi fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 5, 2022

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hi posted:

jesus that thing looks like the leviathan lobster god from memes of old.

mine hasnt killed my angels cause hes just a lil baby blue cray not some monster behemoth.

He isnt killing anything at the moment cause he didnt successfully molt last time and now hes got freakish broken pinchers that twist in like seven different angles and are fused shut. but even before the molting mishap best he ever managed was picking off a molly that wasnt doing well when I accidently shocked my tank doing a big water change at the same time I cleaned out the bucket filter. hes never touched an angel, if anything they seem to, maybe not bully him but they certainly dont fear him they will try and steal his sinking algae tablets right out of his claws and he just gets mad and goes back in his cave.

I missed the part about those being plastic plants, they look good. my cray is small enough that if I pick plants with a relatively thick base he leaves them alone.. the real thin stringy plants he likes to snip and watch float away but if theyve got some girth to em he seems to leave them alone. its been trial an error, my one poor plant he seems to hate with a passion and snips ever time he walks passed it but its resilient and I just stick the snipped piece back in the substrate somewhere else and it usually takes root again eventually.

I cant get a good pic because tank lights arent on but one of those sharks is swimming all over this morning, so maybe they just needed more time to adjust. again its hard to identify because searching that on google seems like it brings up about eighty different catfish breeds that all look generally similar. They do look like some of the pics of the juveniles im seeing when I image search Iridescent Shark, long body, that faux shark fine, long horizontal black and silver striping that runs the length of their body. Im sure if its not that exact species its probably close enough that its not an ideal aquarium fish and needs a chinese river to live in, unfortunately theyre already mine and I live in New Jersey which is notably absent of Chinese Rivers so Ill probably just make the best of it if I cant find anyone better suited to raise them.

He looks good though. I dunno what the hardness of your water is, but a little extra calcium would likely do him good next time he molts.
My angels didn't fear the crays either, that's how they got picked off. I caught one of them once, but before I could open the lid and distract the cray with a chopstick he'd eaten part of the fin and gashed the side of the fish open.
Every plant I stuck in there got eaten, even the java fern. I really like these fake ones though, they're thick enough the crays can climb on them and not dig up the bases or wrap the vines around the wood to have to be untangled.
Here's the male in the light. He's not happy with me because I just did a water change and sucked up all of his food stash

Thus far I've three adults in there. That male for sure and a female. Not sure about the third, it doesn't spend a lot of time out in the open. They successfully bred once, so I've two 3/4 inch crays and one 1 inch cray in there that come out every now and again. They're just regular old swamp crayfish. Always wanted to keep a lobster but I suck at saltwater, so the crays kinda fill that

Edit;
Just looked up the shark. We had one of those when I was a kid, got to be about 7-8 inches long. He was skittish for a few weeks at first, then eventually kind of found the corner where he'd spend some time. Really easy to excite too. Even just walking past the tank would get him to dart about for a bit

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 5, 2022

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Hello! Due to spending a ton of time looking at aquariums Youtube, I'm looking at getting my first aquarium and I'm looking at just getting a betta fish in a 10 gallon aquarium and I'm hoping for some tips on getting started.

I know I need a tank that's wider than it is tall for a betta, and I'm looking at a wide 10 gallon that's got a filter and light built in. I'll also be buying a heater to go in because I live in the PNW and ambient room temperature is a bit too cool for the betta.

What I'm not sure about though is cycling. The aquarium people I all watch on Youtube do fish-in cycles, which seems a bit too advanced for me. So how do I cycle? What are the steps? Do I just put down some strata, plant some plants, fill the tank up with water, and wait two weeks before getting the fish?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TTBF posted:

Hello! Due to spending a ton of time looking at aquariums Youtube, I'm looking at getting my first aquarium and I'm looking at just getting a betta fish in a 10 gallon aquarium and I'm hoping for some tips on getting started.

I know I need a tank that's wider than it is tall for a betta, and I'm looking at a wide 10 gallon that's got a filter and light built in. I'll also be buying a heater to go in because I live in the PNW and ambient room temperature is a bit too cool for the betta.

What I'm not sure about though is cycling. The aquarium people I all watch on Youtube do fish-in cycles, which seems a bit too advanced for me. So how do I cycle? What are the steps? Do I just put down some strata, plant some plants, fill the tank up with water, and wait two weeks before getting the fish?

You can do it with a beta in the tank. You need to buy a freshwater master kit and keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrate rates while the bacteria grows. The danger is when you heavy stock the tank and the bacteria can't grow fast enough to handle the massive amounts of ammonia.
You can do it fishless too, you'll need a master kit like above and buy a bacteria culture to get things going. Put some fish food in the tank to decompose and add the bacteria after the ammonia levels start to grow.
I've done both in the past. Fish in felt easier for me because everything for the cycle was already there, I just had to monitor levels till the cycle was going strong

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

SocketWrench posted:

He looks good though. I dunno what the hardness of your water is, but a little extra calcium would likely do him good next time he molts.
My angels didn't fear the crays either, that's how they got picked off. I caught one of them once, but before I could open the lid and distract the cray with a chopstick he'd eaten part of the fin and gashed the side of the fish open.
Every plant I stuck in there got eaten, even the java fern. I really like these fake ones though, they're thick enough the crays can climb on them and not dig up the bases or wrap the vines around the wood to have to be untangled.
Here's the male in the light. He's not happy with me because I just did a water change and sucked up all of his food stash

Thus far I've three adults in there. That male for sure and a female. Not sure about the third, it doesn't spend a lot of time out in the open. They successfully bred once, so I've two 3/4 inch crays and one 1 inch cray in there that come out every now and again. They're just regular old swamp crayfish. Always wanted to keep a lobster but I suck at saltwater, so the crays kinda fill that

Edit;
Just looked up the shark. We had one of those when I was a kid, got to be about 7-8 inches long. He was skittish for a few weeks at first, then eventually kind of found the corner where he'd spend some time. Really easy to excite too. Even just walking past the tank would get him to dart about for a bit

I use tap and live in a rural area with a lot of farms that Im assuming run off fertilizer into the water supply because my waters very hard.

I think the mis-molt was my fault actually, I came home one day found him half molted and got excited and ran over to take pictures which of course freaked him out and made him rush to his little cave, leaving most of his old shell out in the open but I didn't realize at the time he never molted his claws and I think since the rest of the shell was already gone he didn't have any leverage to get the rest off his claws... theyre real weird looking now and like twice as long as theyre supposed to be because its basically a claw ontop of a claw... I googled it and they said you can either cut em off or just wait for the next molt, since it doesn't seem to be doing any harm other than he occasionally has trouble getting thru the entrance of his cave because his monstrous deformed claws.

Now that Im home and the lights are on the tank the two sharks are hiding again... I guess they just need more time. not sure what else it could be that theyd be that energetic at the shop unless everything going on their had them in a literal 24/7 state of panic and thats why they seemed that high energy and interesting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My mom just asked if I wanted her fish because if not she was going to flush them. So I have a 10 gallon aquarium with 8 guppies in it.

I've posted in this thread before and I don't have the best track record with fish but I'm willing to give it the ol college try again.

She said the filter was acting up and she couldn't get parts for it anymore and her lid is a flimsy plastic thing. My cat is an rear end in a top hat who has fallen into a tank in the past so that wouldn't work.

We went to PetSmart and their recommendation for a tank that would support a fat rear end cat was a glass lid so we grabbed that because it's cheap and we needed something. It doesn't have any cutouts for a back filter so I grabbed a cheap internal one to work in the meantime. I remember from when I got a tank almost 10 years ago the filters that hang off the back are suggested more than internal and cartridge filters are just frowned on in general.

Fish thread what is a good sturdy lid that will support a cat who is places he shouldn't be and also lets me use a better filter?

Edit: the house we live in now has a water softener, I assume that means when I don't water changes I shouldn't use it?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hi posted:

I use tap and live in a rural area with a lot of farms that Im assuming run off fertilizer into the water supply because my waters very hard.

I think the mis-molt was my fault actually, I came home one day found him half molted and got excited and ran over to take pictures which of course freaked him out and made him rush to his little cave, leaving most of his old shell out in the open but I didn't realize at the time he never molted his claws and I think since the rest of the shell was already gone he didn't have any leverage to get the rest off his claws... theyre real weird looking now and like twice as long as theyre supposed to be because its basically a claw ontop of a claw... I googled it and they said you can either cut em off or just wait for the next molt, since it doesn't seem to be doing any harm other than he occasionally has trouble getting thru the entrance of his cave because his monstrous deformed claws.

Now that Im home and the lights are on the tank the two sharks are hiding again... I guess they just need more time. not sure what else it could be that theyd be that energetic at the shop unless everything going on their had them in a literal 24/7 state of panic and thats why they seemed that high energy and interesting.

Wish that was my first reaction. I cam home to a shell laying on the bottom and thought one got eaten. I expected it to be like shrimp molts where it's mostly if not all exoskeleton, but this had some fleshy parts on it

Yeah, those sharks are just really skittish till they find a spot to hang out.

Len posted:

We went to PetSmart and their recommendation for a tank that would support a fat rear end cat was a glass lid so we grabbed that because it's cheap and we needed something. It doesn't have any cutouts for a back filter so I grabbed a cheap internal one to work in the meantime. I remember from when I got a tank almost 10 years ago the filters that hang off the back are suggested more than internal and cartridge filters are just frowned on in general.

Fish thread what is a good sturdy lid that will support a cat who is places he shouldn't be and also lets me use a better filter?

Dunno how good hardware stores are in your area, but the local mom & pop one in my town offers glass cutting services. Might want to try around and see if one near you does too

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Finally, one of the sharks came out when I opened the lid and all the other fish went into yay its food time mode, but then like one bump against the tank sent it hiding and into a catatonic state... managed to snag a pic for identification purposes first, does look like a juvenile iridescent to me but Im not expert.

craycray comes out of his grumpy home for crayfish with deformed claws whenever its feeding time as well, so I snagged a pic of that too so yall could see what I mean... its like someone super glued two extra sets of pinches on the ends of his pinchers but didnt read the instructions and put them on backwards.

I read that its ok to just lob off their claws with a pair of sharp scissors when this happens but seems cruel and stressful and I also read I can just leave em as is and itll fix itself eventually.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SocketWrench posted:

Wish that was my first reaction. I cam home to a shell laying on the bottom and thought one got eaten. I expected it to be like shrimp molts where it's mostly if not all exoskeleton, but this had some fleshy parts on it

Yeah, those sharks are just really skittish till they find a spot to hang out.

Dunno how good hardware stores are in your area, but the local mom & pop one in my town offers glass cutting services. Might want to try around and see if one near you does too

The glass doesn't go all the way across, there is a plastic spacer that I can cut away at I think. Just need to know what sort of filter would be ideal for a 10 gallon tank before I go modifying it

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hi posted:

Finally, one of the sharks came out when I opened the lid and all the other fish went into yay its food time mode, but then like one bump against the tank sent it hiding and into a catatonic state... managed to snag a pic for identification purposes first, does look like a juvenile iridescent to me but Im not expert.

Yeah, that's the one I had. Like I said, they're skittish for the most part. Sounds like they found their hidy spot and they'll come around when it's feeding time. But any disturbance will always send them off to hide again

quote:

craycray comes out of his grumpy home for crayfish with deformed claws whenever its feeding time as well, so I snagged a pic of that too so yall could see what I mean... its like someone super glued two extra sets of pinches on the ends of his pinchers but didnt read the instructions and put them on backwards.

I read that its ok to just lob off their claws with a pair of sharp scissors when this happens but seems cruel and stressful and I also read I can just leave em as is and itll fix itself eventually.

Yikes, yeah, looks like meat hooks. Watch his next molt, I guess. If for some reason he can't molt off his claws you may have to cut them loose. I hope he can though because I'd hate to put the knife to any creature, myself.
I thought on the mis-molt, and i don't think it was your fault for scaring him. When crays molt the shell splits between the tail and the body. The cray works the head free to get all their antennas out and then launch themselves free from the tail and claws. If his claws hadn't molted with the rest of him, there was an issue already in play.

Len posted:

The glass doesn't go all the way across, there is a plastic spacer that I can cut away at I think. Just need to know what sort of filter would be ideal for a 10 gallon tank before I go modifying it

Ah, gotcha. Pretty much all filters have their recommendations for tank size on them. Any hang on back should do fine. Hopefully all the guppies are the same sex or it isn't filtration you'll have to worry about

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 6, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
You gotta give your cray good mineral/calcium supplementation for good molts and shell growth.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Hey weird one off question,

I know people use UV Sterilizers in their filters, but is it safe to throw a UV light ontop of the tank?

Its not a legitimate short wavelength UV , its a silly 24w LED Strip light I bought for halloween glow painting... but I wanted to put it up a seperate timer so it acted kind of like a dusk / dawn where there would be SOME light for an hour or two before it turns on / off the regular lights. its water proof and a quick google search claims entertainment UV-a lights of 345-400 wave length are fine for lighting tanks, but figured Id get a second opinion before I potentially blind everything in my tank and kill all the beneficial bacteria.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8CKQ4H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
its one of those for reference.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Hi posted:

Hey weird one off question,

I know people use UV Sterilizers in their filters, but is it safe to throw a UV light ontop of the tank?

Its not a legitimate short wavelength UV , its a silly 24w LED Strip light I bought for halloween glow painting... but I wanted to put it up a seperate timer so it acted kind of like a dusk / dawn where there would be SOME light for an hour or two before it turns on / off the regular lights. its water proof and a quick google search claims entertainment UV-a lights of 345-400 wave length are fine for lighting tanks, but figured Id get a second opinion before I potentially blind everything in my tank and kill all the beneficial bacteria.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8CKQ4H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
its one of those for reference.

Decades in the hobby and a question I have never seen. Wow.

Try MFK???

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Yeah that'd be fine, it won't do anything to the inhabitants. Pretty common to use similar lights over reef tanks to get the coral to fluoresce more.

Just be careful of any reflections as its not healthy to stare at those lights directly or indirectly.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Wandering Orange posted:

Yeah that'd be fine, it won't do anything to the inhabitants. Pretty common to use similar lights over reef tanks to get the coral to fluoresce more.

Just be careful of any reflections as its not healthy to stare at those lights directly or indirectly.

Nice, with the actual lights on its so low wattage you dont even notice its on but for that hour or so before the lights turn on and after they turn off its kinda nice.... I mean its a planted freshwater tank not a reef so theres no cool fluorescents but I like it... just wanted to make sure I wasnt harming anything.

Thank you

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up a pretty cool led background light for a 29g I set up recently.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Heres mine in my low effort moonlight mode with my 24w faux UV light

looks cool , doubt it does anything beneficial like inhibit disruptive bacteria and microbes but wasnt really aiming for that anyway.

It is kind of curious how murky it makes the water look though considering its crystal clear with the regular lights on.

edit: I really do like that LED light strip in you posted above me though, I got this tank off craigslist years ago and the back is painted black or i might do something similar. its a 75g tho Id have to drain almost all of it for it to be light enough to slide out and get behind to scrape paint, which I dont really want to do either so Ill stick with my silly UV for now. that does look cool tho

Hi fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 8, 2022

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

THIS GOES AGAINST EVERY BONE IN MY "LIVE PLANTS = BETTER" BODY

Neon Pink and Neon Blue and maybe other neon color plastic plants light up real real good under a moonlight.

I will look for pics but lol I have like 10s of thousands unorganized aquarium pics going back like 20 years.

If you're cool with fakes the neon fakes kick rear end under LED "moonlight."

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I've been wanting to put fish in my tank, something quick since the crays have perches that let them get top level swimmers. A friend of mine took me to PetSmart and they had Rosy Red Minnows. For $0.16 a fish i figured who the hell cares if they catch some of them. Asked for a dozen, the guy just scooped a shitload up. I counted something around 30 or so. Got some neon tetras too for the tank at work, but since it was Sunday I let them go in the tank, figured I can net them out when I'm ready to haul them in. They remain untouched by the crays. Got a little Zebrafish mixed in with them and drat, that sucker is quick.
The crays picked off a few of the minnows, mostly the bullied, starving ones. Down to about 24. Currently watching a Mexican standoff between 2 of the crays over a peel and eat shrimp I dropped in the tank.
Also the young ones are getting more brazen
https://i.imgur.com/Ratyxti.mp4

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Desert Bus posted:

THIS GOES AGAINST EVERY BONE IN MY "LIVE PLANTS = BETTER" BODY

Neon Pink and Neon Blue and maybe other neon color plastic plants light up real real good under a moonlight.

I will look for pics but lol I have like 10s of thousands unorganized aquarium pics going back like 20 years.

If you're cool with fakes the neon fakes kick rear end under LED "moonlight."

In an old tank, I had some uranium glass marbles that looked awesome and ever since I've wanted to do a dinner table tank with a uranium glass place setting and glofish.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

In an old tank, I had some uranium glass marbles that looked awesome and ever since I've wanted to do a dinner table tank with a uranium glass place setting and glofish.

A friend of mine has this amazing life size uranium glass hand (possibly haunted) and now I am imagining it in a blacked out 10g with a Glo-Betta and nothing else. WHY DO I KEEP THIS EMPTY 10G SPARE ME FROM MY SUFFERING DEAR LORD.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

So.... my tanks had 5 angels in it pretty much since it was setup well over a year ago, maybe 2 at this point. theyve weathered a few storms, like when I did too big of a water change and cleaned out the filter media at the same time and broke the bacteria cycling and killed off a few guppies and mollies as a result but I just had one die almost completely out of the blue.

I noticed yesterday one was hiding in a corner not moving much, didnt come out to feed with the rest of the fish, very unusual behavior. I didnt notice any issues like ick, or fungal/bacterial infections, none of the other fish seemed to be having an issues, I tested the water and everything seems normal...

the only thing thats really changed recently was the addition of those two iridescent sharks, which for whatever reason just dont seem to be taking to the tank, of them comes out occasionally and swims about a bit but the other never moves from its preferred hiding spot, I have yet to see either eat which is worrying cause usually even reclusive skittish fish get with the program and come out for food. that and I bought seachem root tabs, the directions said place one every 4 to 6 inches. I got the tabs cause I dont like perpetually using the seachem flourish excel as it seems to build up quicker than I change my water and after a few weeks the fish are not having a good time. I think I put maybe six tabs in the tank total, 75 gallons.

I dont think the sharks are responsible, theyre small and want have a big impact on the bio load till they grow up and dont seem to be thriving anyway.

Which leads me to think maybe its the tabs? can you overdose on root tabs as easily as flourish excel ? I hope not cause I dont remember where I put em and will probably kill half my plants ripping thru roots trying to find those tabs.

I mean I guess just like anything else fish can just up and die, but ... those angels have been very hardy and theres no outward signs of why it may have died, so Im worried im on the brink of a mass extinction in my tank.

edit: that and I added that LED UV light obviously, which I dont think could have possibly killed a mature angel in good health but Im trying to think of anything at all thats changed recently. a couple new plants as well, but Ive never heard of aquarium plants that are toxic to aquarium fish.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

just from your description i'd say maybe the sharks brought a bug with them?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

It just happens sometimes. In the last month I lost 1 redbelly mountain dace and 1 southern redbelly dace. No obvious distress with either fish, no ich or anything obviously wrong when I inspected them. Died 2 weeks apart.

It's been months since I added anything to my 75g tank and the water tests have been very clean and consistent in parameters.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I got 20 amanos in today and they seem to be having a good time darting around in the tank and nibbling on everything, though they sure are tiny at the moment.

I didn't end up ordering any nerites as the place I got them from didn't have any of the type I wanted, but based on some reading I'm not sure they'd be entirely happy with my water anyway; it's very hard but it stabilizes around 6.7-6.8 pH it seems like. There seems to be a lot of disagreement online about what they'll tolerate in good health.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 15, 2022

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

So I thought I was hallucinating this morning when I found a tiny fish I wasn't expecting. I guess her parents forgot to eat her lol

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Tiny fish is cool.

No additional deaths in the tank since last update, does seem to be a one off. the sharks are still extremely skittish but at least more active now and all their bumps and bruises from the ride home are healed up... I can only assume the cool energetic fish I saw in the pet shop was them just terrified and trying to escape the impending death they thought every noise was 24/7 cause they definitely do not act like they did in the shop.

In other news, wow do root tabs work.

it took a week or so before I noticed anything but now my plants have taken off, almost too quickly its crazy. very rapidly going from sparsely planted tank to heavily planted tank. I had to get under the tank to unplug something and happened to look up , the view from the bottom is almost all root structure, more root than substrate at this point which is nuts cause I have like a 5g bucket of loose lake stone I brought home from the lake house (its like roughly half a finger nail sized gravel), a bag of sand, an over priced bag of lake rocks I ordered from chewy which prompted me getting my own lake rock, and a 50lb bag of coal slag for substrate, theres a good 3-4 inches in this 75g tank. the plants are lovin it. Might have to get choosey soon and start pruning back the less cool plants... for a while I was just putting anything in to see what would take and what the crayfish wouldnt just indiscriminately snip at the root because hes a bastard

thru attrition im down a couple fish since this time last year tho, Im thinking the next addition will be a couple leopard bush fish, Ctenopoma acutirostre. anyone have any experience with them? they stay medium sized, maxing out at 4-6 inches and look cool and like heavily planted tanks.. the one review I saw said theyre low aggressive fish with the same nothing thatll fit in their mouth caveat everything has.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Good to see a tiny one made it. I'm getting ready for my own explosion here soon. Noticed I've got a few tetras that are lookin' plump in the belly and some red minnows that are staking out caves and trying to swoon the ladies. Kinda upset the crays don't take out more minnows. I was expecting them to be more long term-ish snack than permanent residents

From my experience growing plants in and out of water, yeah, they start slow because they're concentrating on developing roots to get the most of what they can, and once established, boom, that's when they start growing.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
Finally got my 55g worked out. I had a parrot and a flowerhorn in it but the flowerhorn was too mean so I moved the parrot into a tank by herself and rehomed the feisty flowehorn. Went a whole different direction: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbFeOpjLOZZ/?utm_medium=copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbCGcKZPbOg/?utm_medium=copy_link
Parrot in a temporary 20 gallon:https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbBPVX2jOUO/?utm_medium=copy_link

Ganesh: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ca8YUfUJ4_O/?utm_medium=copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbL7F-pp09h/?utm_medium=copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CassspNPa51/?utm_medium=copy_link
He had SBD for a while, I tried every treatment for over 4 weeks. Peas, fasting, salt, higher temp, more aeration, lower water level. Finally metronidazole worked. I was so worried about my boy. I love how this guy watches my every move and wants me to come play
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ca1oNijPTQg/?utm_medium=copy_link

Pleco bustin:https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZyoz7VMuqA/?utm_medium=copy_link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm moving about 5 blocks away in a month. I have that 5g nano tank with 3 amano shrimp and a nerite snail. I've seen posts before about moving aquariums basically saying to take the inhabitants out, put them in smaller containers, and transport everything that way with a drained tank.

I think I'm going to just pull the two pieces of driftwood, drain the tank to like 1/5 full (3" of water or so), wrap the top in syran wrap, and take the aquarium to the new place like that. When I arrive I can do a water change/top up as I normally would. This means they'd be in the water like that for about 30 min.

With the hardscape out of the tank there's nothing I'd really worry about the shrimps getting pushed into with the water moving around in the car. There's quite a lot of plant life in the tank too if they wanted to hang onto something. Does this seem irresponsible or unsafe?

I've never taken my shrimp out of the tank and I worry that I'd hurt them/stress them out more trying to do that than I would with my above strategy. Really would like to hear some opinions on this!