Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I have to imagine that pocketing that thing during the first five years was unpleasant at best.

I mean... you're telling me AFOL don't wear JORTS with bigass pockets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/BrickFanatics/status/1500815046338916361?t=OZdNBSdFd2AUh0bdQG5J1w&s=19

Owns.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Bad Munki posted:

I have to imagine that pocketing that thing during the first five years was unpleasant at best.

The rounding off happens faster than you'd think.
This notebook spent 13 months in my pocket and the plate was rounded off so it lost any sharp corners by the end.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Carbohydrates posted:

In fact, after building over forty drat cars in the 6-wide SC scale, 2022's lineup inspired me to finally do a drat 8-wide. I will say, I greatly enjoyed being able to do a full and proper interior, but man, this thing is a parts hog at over 400 pcs. Anyway, it's a Lancia Delta S4 Corsa.

I want to build this. Tell me how I throw money at you or whatever so I can build this.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hey someone repost that awesome Photoshop of the Titanic instruction adding all the water pieces. I can't find it on my phone

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
But how many bodies did you have to pour in? Thats the real question!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
r/AskReddit
Adults, what is something you'd love receiving as a gift but no one even considers giving you because you're an adult?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/t82aht/adults_what_is_something_youd_love_receiving_as_a/

2 of the top 9 best replies are lego.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is Lego hinting at more Doctor Who sets?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Feenix posted:

I want to build this. Tell me how I throw money at you or whatever so I can build this.
I'll have the instructions and part list on RB as soon as I build it myself (quality assurance and all that). I've ordered the pieces.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Just saw the $80 Jabba's Palace that folks were talking about at Costco, which is tempting. I was pretty darn pleasantly surprised to also see the Luke + Dark Trooper scene for $23, $7 off makes it a lot more attractive. I was going to buy one anyway, now I might buy a 2nd one to beef up my Dark Trooper numbers.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BaconCopter posted:

Just saw the $80 Jabba's Palace that folks were talking about at Costco

My gf asked me to pick up a bunch of stuff from Costco for her parents visit, and to use her credit card.

LEGO Jabba's Palace was not on the list but somehow ended up in the cart anyway.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Is Lego hinting at more Doctor Who sets?

Wow that is pretty, I need that for my London collection. Let's hope it gets the votes. Also more Dr. Who would be good.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The F1 Technic McLaren was a really cool build. While I miss at least some take on a gearbox, I think it actually feels like a Technic from the “better years”. Way better than I expected. Now looking at the BMW Bike….

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Does anyone have a recommendation for replacement tubing for the old pneumatic parts? Is this just a go and try and find it at the hardware store type of thing??

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Well, if anyone else goes searching: micro fuel line 3/32" ID x 3/16" OD is a drat good match.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Well, if true, which it probably is because Promobricks is about 99% on their info, then I know what I'm saving my cash for. remake of the kings castle

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-ritter-sind-zurueck-neue-ritterburg/140348/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Saw the Vespa in store today, and it’s much bigger than I expected! Looks drat good value for money, especially considering it’s only £10 more than the Fiat 500.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The Dark Trooper Attack set is $30 and only 166 pieces? Feels like just paying a higher than usual tax for those minifigs and licensing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
What was the reasoning for switching from light gray to light bluish gray back in the day? It's super annoying going through a 60lbs haul trying to recreate an older set and having to hold them up to the light to tell apart, let alone what's a light bluish gray brick that just has one side that's yellowed to the point it looks like old light gray. They still make some pieces in old dark gray right, but did they phase out light gray entirely when they made light bluish gray, or was there overlap?

For that matter was old brown fine, and brittle brown happened when they switched to reddish-brown, or was there overlap and it got both since it got dark red too?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
The main reason was that the new greys (light and dark) are brighter and tested better with kids. It was also a part of Lego redoing their colour palette since it had gotten a bit out of hand with lots of weird colours in the years leading up to the changeover.

In theory there was no overlap of the old and new greys, from 2004 all sets had the new greys, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the first production runs of 2004 sets sometimes had the old greys to use up inventories of the old parts. It was the same thing with brown, in 2004 production of old brown stopped and the new reddish brown started, but it took a while for the inventories of old brown parts to be used so you'd sometimes get old brown parts in sets for a while afterwards.

As for the brittleness, I've never had an old brown part break but I've had reddish brown parts break. I don't know if it happened at the same time as the colour changeover, but at some point Lego stopped buying coloured ABS and started buying neutral-coloured ABS and dyeing it themselves, and whatever pigment they used for brown and dark red caused the plastic to become quite brittle. I don't believe that ever affected old brown parts.

1000 Brown M and Ms fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 9, 2022

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The_Doctor posted:

Saw the Vespa in store today, and it’s much bigger than I expected! Looks drat good value for money, especially considering it’s only £10 more than the Fiat 500.

It’s a pretty conventional build overall but the model is just perfection. Details for miles.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lego Princess Peach incoming

https://www.reddit.com/r/LEGOMario/comments/ta846l/welp_something_leaked_this_morning/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Scipiotik posted:

Well, if true, which it probably is because Promobricks is about 99% on their info, then I know what I'm saving my cash for. remake of the kings castle

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-ritter-sind-zurueck-neue-ritterburg/140348/

Ya, that will be a day 1 buy for me.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 10, 2022

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's.....something....

Toads are cool though:

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ya, that will be a day 1 buy for me.
gently caress yeah. So happy with all the Castle stuff the last few years.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Carbohydrates posted:

I'll have the instructions and part list on RB as soon as I build it myself (quality assurance and all that). I've ordered the pieces.

I love you, man.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I don't know if it happened at the same time as the colour changeover, but at some point Lego stopped buying coloured ABS and started buying neutral-coloured ABS and dyeing it themselves, and whatever pigment they used for brown and dark red caused the plastic to become quite brittle. I don't believe that ever affected old brown parts.
2004 is when LEGO standardized the palette and switched to light bluish gray, dark bluish gray, and reddish brown. In 2010, dark red was quietly updated into "new dark red." The color's ID, 154, did not change. Around 2014, brittleness issues were reported with dark colors that had high amounts of red pigment: particularly dark red and reddish brown, but to a lesser degree dark brown and dark orange as well. In late 2018, LEGO released a statement saying that this issue had been resolved. In 2019, dark red was updated once more - no color ID update, and not even an internal name change this time - to yet another new shade.

All this info and more here: https://www.newelementary.com/2019/05/has-lego-color-dark-red-changed.html

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Leaked picture of a dope rear end viking ship.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Legoleak/comments/tbftwn/creator_viking_boat/

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Oh that's cool.

The midyear 3-in-1 wave has a few other things I really want to see too.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

That looks really cool but something about the brick sails turns me off. I liked that newer creator pirate ship but thought the sails looked like garbage. I miss the old cloth but I suppose the cost is too much.

Edit: VVV That's a good point about the 3-in-1

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 11, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ChesterJT posted:

That looks really cool but something about the brick sails turns me off. I liked that newer creator pirate ship but thought the sails looked like garbage. I miss the old cloth but I suppose the cost is too much.

They've done cloth sails for other sets recently (eg Moana) but the 3-in-1 sets have brick built stuff because it's the purpose of the line. Same as brick built animals vs specific moulds.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Looking at my Nebulon-B earlier and had an idea

Nebulon-T Tanker

Besides the tanks I thickened up the neck to integrate the tanks, threw in some dark sand pieces to color match, added winglets near the rear and the dark red cause it was just to much gray. Technically it was a bitch cause the black technic pins did NOT wanna line up. Had to use a jumper to make it barely sit on the stand.

All in all I like how it came out

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 11, 2022

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Wrong thread.

How cool is LEGO Though...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
6.7/10

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Lego Mjolnir feels surprisingly substantial. I didn’t expect it to be more or less life size. The build wasn’t too bad either because the repetitive parts go together super quickly. Also the way you can store the little artifact stand thingy inside the hammer and it’s secured by studs in there is clever as hell.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

a sexual elk posted:

Looking at my Nebulon-B earlier and had an idea

Nebulon-T Tanker

Besides the tanks I thickened up the neck to integrate the tanks, threw in some dark sand pieces to color match, added winglets near the rear and the dark red cause it was just to much gray. Technically it was a bitch cause the black technic pins did NOT wanna line up. Had to use a jumper to make it barely sit on the stand.

All in all I like how it came out

MORE TANK!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

I tapped on that, and got a giant warning pop up about "unverified content" or some poo poo that disappeared before I could read the whole thing and then the whole page remained blurred out. Great UX ya got there, Reddit

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Chris Knight posted:

I tapped on that, and got a giant warning pop up about "unverified content" or some poo poo that disappeared before I could read the whole thing and then the whole page remained blurred out. Great UX ya got there, Reddit

That's just Reddit trying to push you to their app on mobile. Loads fine for me on a desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

It's hilariously hostile design, if the banner stays up it forces you to use the reddit app to view the link, web browsers not allowed. If you got a third party reddit app installed, sorry go find it manually.