Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

KitConstantine posted:

"Especially of interest to children because they look like toys" :)

sorry, who invented these? asking for a friend who definitely isn't going to hunt that person down and flay them alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

The Red Cross confirmed that the corridors out of Mariupol were mined.
https://twitter.com/DavidYankovich/status/1500937997541335044?s=20&t=KqXfJyUq2c8oLlxrZq19pQ
Article link: https://www.newsweek.com/evacuation-route-offered-fleeing-ukrainians-mined-1685418?amp=1
The type of mines used on the supposed "humanitarian corridor" out of Mariupol has also been cofirmed. They're called butterfly mines.
https://twitter.com/deangloster/status/1501154163652108290?s=20&t=oMSkFCnw7CpwBEbLbS9frQ
"Especially of interest to children because they look like toys" :)

This is horrific holy poo poo. "intended to maim... because it slows people down more" has to be a war crime in and of itself, right?

Deviant posted:

sorry, who invented these? asking for a friend who definitely isn't going to hunt that person down and flay them alive.

Should I let them know to look out for an unexpected Uber?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it would arguably benefit the US more if Russia gets trapped in a costly and bloody quagmire that last years, whilst the Europeans would prefer a quicker and more definite settlement

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

KillHour posted:

This is horrific holy poo poo. "intended to maim... because it slows people down more" has to be a war crime in and of itself, right?

Should I let them know to look out for an unexpected Uber?

i mean, i'm not a violent person generally, but I think if I had this person in shouting distance I'd just stab and stab and stab and stab until there was nothing left to bury.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

No finer thing

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

More so than the sanctions argument, what are off-ramps that are palatable for both Ukraine/Russia? I would like to see more countries pushing for peace. Even though people get on China for not condemning Russia and painting it way more rosy than it is, they most definitely don't want things to escalate much further. Even if Putin isn't a rational actor, my hopes are that wide-spread war fervor and jingoism that's been rampant from NATO countries gets drowned out and people get weary of this war quickly and realize that at some point cheering for the good guy who doesn't want to see their country destroyed just means more civilian/military death that could ve been avoided.

It's easy for me to say since it's not my country and I realize that, and I understand "Get the hell out of my country and leave me alone" should be option number one, but it's not feasible. But if what's been reported is true where there weren't "huge gaps" in the talks when it came to what both sides are wanting out of it, and Zelensky being "open" to the DNR/LNR stuff Putin is demanding and realizing Ukraine isn't going to join NATO, I feel like there is some wiggle room for things to be agreed upon even if it's unsavory for Ukraine right now. But I think some leaders are so obsessed about "making Putin/Russia lose at all costs" which to me isn't a good strategy at the moment. Letting him pat himself on the back with an extremely pyrrhic victory will eventually lead to his demise without having to add the World War III toe-touching and turning Ukraine into Afghanistan with a dead leader option.

Zelensky has made noise about not joining NATO and some flexibility regarding DNR/LNR and Crimea. However, Putin has still stuck to his demands for Ukrainian demilitarization (after showing exactly why Ukraine needs a military) and denazification (i.e., regime change).

I think the rest of the world sees the unhappy compromise for everyone to make, but Putin needs to budge in a way he hasn't shown he's willing to do so yet. Until then, the war has to become costly for him. It really loving sucks.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Note that Ukraine is a signatory to Ottawa convention against anti-personnel mines, so all of its inventory of such is supposed to have been destroyed long ago. Russia is not part of that treaty (nor is US).

Edit: I would be careful of Newsweek as a source, though. Remember that it's a carcass of the publication taken over by some dubious people.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Deadbeat Dad posted:

More so than the sanctions argument, what are off-ramps that are palatable for both Ukraine/Russia? I would like to see more countries pushing for peace. Even though people get on China for not condemning Russia and painting it way more rosy than it is, they most definitely don't want things to escalate much further. Even if Putin isn't a rational actor, my hopes are that wide-spread war fervor and jingoism that's been rampant from NATO countries gets drowned out and people get weary of this war quickly and realize that at some point cheering for the good guy who doesn't want to see their country destroyed just means more civilian/military death that could ve been avoided.

It's easy for me to say since it's not my country and I realize that, and I understand "Get the hell out of my country and leave me alone" should be option number one, but it's not feasible. But if what's been reported is true where there weren't "huge gaps" in the talks when it came to what both sides are wanting out of it, and Zelensky being "open" to the DNR/LNR stuff Putin is demanding and realizing Ukraine isn't going to join NATO, I feel like there is some wiggle room for things to be agreed upon even if it's unsavory for Ukraine right now. But I think some leaders are so obsessed about "making Putin/Russia lose at all costs" which to me isn't a good strategy at the moment. Letting him pat himself on the back with an extremely pyrrhic victory will eventually lead to his demise without having to add the World War III toe-touching and turning Ukraine into Afghanistan with a dead leader option.

I don't understand how people think there is still some sort of off ramp. Outside of a deposed Putin how could you ever trust an agreement with Russia after this?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Karl Barks posted:

Yeah, the mountains of dead Vietnamese, Afgans, Iraqis, Iranians, etc was not good. I'd like to avoid that.

Good point, the US should never have invaded Ukraine...??

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pkay posted:

I don't understand how people think there is still some sort of off ramp. Outside of a deposed Putin how could you ever trust an agreement with Russia after this?
Putin can go home and declare victory and I imagine he would at least be able to sell oil and gas to Europe without problems, although he may have now created a long-term market problem. Other sanctions might get officially relaxed though I imagine he'll have a loving job of getting any foreign investment again. And he'd even get what seemed to be his plausible war goals!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

pkay posted:

Ukraine can't fight forever and they can't invade and capture the whole of Russia. This has to end somehow and allow space for Ukraine to repair itself and try to heal.

I don't see regime change happening, so I think Ukraine has to trust itself to be able to repel intrusions and push back against violations in the future and cultivate relations with other nations to enable that to happen.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Deadbeat Dad posted:

It's easy for me to say since it's not my country and I realize that, and I understand "Get the hell out of my country and leave me alone" should be option number one, but it's not feasible.

Many people are going to die regardless of whether Ukraine resists op. Putin has said some downright genocidal stuff recently. Russia's previous occupations of foreign territories haven't exactly been pleasant.

Your argument kind of reminds me of old episodes of COPS where the police are arresting somebody and yelling STOP RESISTING while they beat the poo poo out of them. I hope this analogy solves your moral dilemma

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

KitConstantine posted:

The Red Cross confirmed that the corridors out of Mariupol were mined.

The type of mines used on the supposed "humanitarian corridor" out of Mariupol has also been cofirmed. They're called butterfly mines.

Everything about this is evil.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

pkay posted:

There is always an off-ramp even if it's one that literally only Russia thinks is a good one. The difference is that what's "good" for Russia may be more palatable to others right now too rather than what they started off with.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

pkay posted:

How can any country be trusted with any agreement? All international agreements are based purely on mutual self-interest or they are nothing more than polite lies meant to buy time. That is the entire goal of the sanctions - to make whatever security concerns he has of secondary importance relative to the economic destruction of his country.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Deviant posted:

They're pretty old, IIRC the Soviet Union used them frequently in Afghanistan.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

MikeC posted:

How can any country be trusted with any agreement? All international agreements are based purely on mutual self-interest or they are nothing more than polite lies meant to buy time. That is the entire goal of the sanctions - to make whatever security concerns he has of secondary importance relative to the economic destruction of his country.

Literally "PERHAPS THE SAME COULD BE SAID OF ALL RELIGIONS???", this is some profoundly weak nothingness.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Not good
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1501381065851691016

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Nessus posted:

Putin can go home and declare victory and I imagine he would at least be able to sell oil and gas to Europe without problems, although he may have now created a long-term market problem. Other sanctions might get officially relaxed though I imagine he'll have a loving job of getting any foreign investment again. And he'd even get what seemed to be his plausible war goals!

I think that ship has sailed. There is no going back...even if sanctions were erased today, there are long term repercussions.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not that I was going to actually do anything, but i'm infuriated that whoever invented these war crimes got away with death as the worst thing that ever happened to them.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like if your criticism of something that could help people is "it isn't aesthetically pleasing enough" it probably can be ignored.

Not in practice, it turns out.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

pkay posted:

I think that ship has sailed. There is no going back...even if sanctions were erased today, there are long term repercussions.

The most crippling sanctions are those imposed at central bank reserves, once those are unfrozen, Russian economy gets a lifeline.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

This is fine. Everything is fine.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The US had something very similar to them called "The Dragontooth" and used it Vietnam War, mostly in Laos. Except the US stopped making and using them in 1970.

Maybe someone realized they were loving evil?

Anyway, I'm going to bed before I manage to top the existance of "toetapper" mines. Which just edges out all the horrible anti-trans laws beong considered as "most vile thing I have read today".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Deviant posted:

Not that I was going to actually do anything, but i'm infuriated that whoever invented these war crimes got away with death as the worst thing that ever happened to them.

TBF, the "butterfly mines" are based off a design the United States used in Vietnam for a short time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLU-43_Dragontooth

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

the popes toes posted:

The steady propaganda stream of imagery, vids, statements, art - all of it, is remarkable. And contrasted with "Ukrainians are shelling themselves" by the Russian establishment makes them seem amateurish and ham-handed in comparison. At least you could depend on the Soviets for great propaganda art.

That gun on the woman's back is sooo wrong. :(

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

The US had something very similar to them called "The Dragontooth" and used it Vietnam War, mostly in Laos. Except the US stopped making and using them in 1970.

Anyway, I'm going to bed before I manage to top the existance of "toetapper" mines. Which just edges out all the horrible anti-trans laws beong considered as "most vile thing I have read today".

They were also used by Russia against the Chechens, for a more recent example. And were apparently dropped on Kharkiv in the early days of this war.
Link:https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/02/26/7326201/

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Deviant posted:

It's interesting watching someone realize in realtime that war, and the tools created for it, is actually pretty loving horrific.

Just Another Lurker posted:

That gun on the woman's back is sooo wrong. :(

It symbolizes Putins limb dick.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

fatherboxx posted:

The most crippling sanctions are those imposed at central bank reserves, once those are unfrozen, Russian economy gets a lifeline.

That will be something of a lifeline, but at this point the kremlin has offered permanent damage to the next 20 years of its own economy even just with its reactionary countermoves.

russia won't be walking back the effects of the prohibitionary actions it took against the very idea that you'd ever want to invest money in the russian state, or have any sort of affiliation or partnerships or operations there, and it gets worse every day of them trying to manage these with currency lockdowns or literally even just still keeping their stock market frozen.

Whether this is because of putin himself lashing out and having NO sense whatsoever about how to limit the damage that his own government can inflict on the country at this point, or his economic advisors being a bunch of administratively incompetent lackeys left over after three decades of klepto-dictatorial competency atrophy, or both? it's going to be insane to watch.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Varinn posted:

I dont think its worth sanctioning Israels oil and natural gas exports, no

But do you think the same banking and financial trade sanctions against Israel would be worth it?

Which are the ones with real teeth in the economic war against Russia and will cause the most harm to general populace

I'd guess they'd also presumably devastate Israel's ability to maintain an effective armed forces and its occupations

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Young Freud posted:

TBF, the "butterfly mines" are based off a design the United States used in Vietnam for a short time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLU-43_Dragontooth

I'm not sure if they're based on them or just use the same reasoning. It's no coincidence they both look like whirlybird seeds.

Twincityhacker posted:

Toepopper, for those googling along at home. They were small anti personnel mines that tended to maim instead of kill, same as the dragonsteeth. They were "minimum metal" mines, and proved to be such a pain in the rear end to clear if you decided you needed that patch of land after all that the US started gluing big steel washers inside the body so metal detectors could find them.

Oh and the US still has a stock of 1.5 million of the things, in case the North Koreans decide to invade the South.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Putin's ambitions are imperial. He wants Ukraine. It has no right to exist, and in fact, does not exist as a country but only a mistake that he is determined to correct. He will not leave. The only realistic off ramp is to remove his forces from Ukraine. Ukraine can not do that alone. The west has a moral obligation to not abandon them and a political obligation to the ideals of Europe to assist.

Some sort of agreement where Ze does "not contest" Crimea or Donbas. and coupled with an agreement to not join NATO might be a minimal for both sides but I don't believe Putin is negotiating in good faith for anything but removal of Ze with a puppet government in his place.

Besides wanting Ukraine for imperial reasons, and as a cultural buffer against western influence, he may now believe that compelling a subjugated Ukraine to its knees is the only thing that can salvage his reputational loss and prevent his empire from further secessions. If he actually believes this, I have to admit his possible escalations to prevent this make me uncomfortable.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

I love the idea that someone watched this vid and wondered what historic general is on the wall of this guy's office, and the answer is one (Mirror universe?) Jean Luc Picard of the late 2300's.

More seriously, losing contact with the systems at Chernobyl is messed up, but I don't think Russia will be doing anything horrible with the plant. Irradiating the land they're trying to conquer wouldn't make any sense. That is of course, they won't do anything intentionally, no one should trust their competence since this all started.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm not sure if they're based on them or just use the same reasoning. It's no coincidence they both look like whirlybird seeds.

Toepopper, for those googling along at home. They were small anti personnel mines that tended to maim instead of kill, same as the dragonsteeth. They were "minimum metal" mines, and proved to be such a pain in the rear end to clear if you decided you needed that patch of land after all that the US started gluing big steel washers inside the body so metal detectors could find them.

Maiming someone in the field is just a slower version of killing them, tbh.

You could run them over with a truck or better a tracked vehicle to set them off with very little damage to the vehicle.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Trump posted:

It's interesting watching someone realize in realtime that war, and the tools created for it, is actually pretty loving horrific.

It seems a lot of the time people think there's nice kinds of bombs to be torn apart by.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Twincityhacker posted:

Maybe someone realized they were loving evil?".

Don't worry, they still use cluster bombs with a high 'dud' rate on the detonators meaning they scatter brightly-coloured bomblets with unstable fuses over large sections of countryside.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

fez_machine posted:

But do you think the same banking and financial trade sanctions against Israel would be worth it?

Which are the ones with real teeth in the economic war against Russia and will cause the most harm to general populace

I'd guess they'd also presumably devastate Israel's ability to maintain an effective armed forces and its occupations

For what it is worth, Israel made a very large natural gas strike in the 2010s. Only a fraction of the fields they have access to have been exploited: while they currently are not a major gas exporter, they stand to sell tens of billions of dollars of LNG in the near future. Sanctioning Israel's gas would impact their ability to make war, as well as cause problems in various domestic programs to be funded by their burgeoning sovereign wealth fund.

I guess that is off limits, though.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 9, 2022

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Orthanc6 posted:

I love the idea that someone watched this vid and wondered what historic general is on the wall of this guy's office, and the answer is one (Mirror universe?) Jean Luc Picard of the late 2300's.

More seriously, losing contact with the systems at Chernobyl is messed up, but I don't think Russia will be doing anything horrible with the plant. Irradiating the land they're trying to conquer wouldn't make any sense. That is of course, they won't do anything intentionally, no one should trust their competence since this all started.

Wind would also blow it straight into Russia last I checked.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crespolini posted:

It seems a lot of the time people think there's nice kinds of bombs to be torn apart by.

This is kind of misleading when the issue around mines isn't how they kill, but who they kill. Children don't sign up to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

KillHour posted:

This is kind of misleading when the issue around mines isn't how they kill, but who they kill. Children don't sign up to die.

Bombs, bullets, grenades, missiles etc. kills children as well.