Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

silicone thrills posted:

Anyone else have way cleaner teeth than ever before the pandemic because of the whole - gotta brush my teeth every time I put on my mask because I dont wanna rebreath any stank breath. Like obviously i used to brush my teeth twice a day but ill frequently brush mid day now lol.

my teeth are impossibly clean now

I am so minty fresh that I technically qualify as a candy cane in some countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Platystemon posted:

Respirator crew after safe and sane recreation:

From this Naomi Wu thread

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1500459141059416067

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1500510791409102856

i am not a toolsmith woman but JESUS loving CHRIST WHAT IS THIS IDIOT DOING

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 67 days!

Rutibex posted:

you could move to china

It's open to serious question just how long that would work.

I'm sure you've heard about the way Hong Kong's pandemic control effort cratered after BA.2 showed up.

The numbers from Guangdong Province aren't good either, though we have far less insight into what's behind that process.

The only conclusion I can draw from similar events over the last 9 months is that
  • When a pandemic control plan works, it works fairly well.
  • But it's fragile in a very specific way. Raise transmissibility above a certain threshold, whose value you don't really know in advance, and your pandemic control plan shatters like a glass bowl dropped 6 feet onto concrete.
Whether this will happen to China, considered as a whole, is still not known. Hopefully, it won't.

But Vietnam, South Korea, New Zealand, and now Hong Kong have convinced me that it possibly can.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hot witch divorcee posted:

lol wore the bane mask filter/cartridge out to the community grills to make burger patties for tonight's dinner and i swear this thing sets off people less than the envos, they seem to avoid looking at me instead of staring lol.

so far im surprised at how comfortable it is for what it is, though of course it is a new and exciting way to irritate my nose bridge but everything else does too. it also doesn't have that mask musk that even envos have, i think that's the best part. of course i only wore it for like 30 minutes but it wasn't building up at all, and it was even slightly chilly out.

e: oh yeah only problem was grilling isn't as fun when you can't smell anything, but hey the thing worked, i couldn't smell anything
welcome to the secure click crew, the stares, the immediate look aways, the mask adjusting, not smelling anything, lmao it all owns

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

Anyone else have way cleaner teeth than ever before the pandemic because of the whole - gotta brush my teeth every time I put on my mask because I dont wanna rebreath any stank breath. Like obviously i used to brush my teeth twice a day but ill frequently brush mid day now lol.
i recall in the before times frequently getting cavities or having to get other related work done, or being berated by my dentist on my lack of flossing etc
these past 2 years however, zero issues at all, nothing but praise from my dentist lol

Akaiku
May 17, 2013

Zedri Edfly posted:

Old post but resp crew / 3dp obsessor here..

There are are tons of 3m 63xxx/7xxx models on thingiverse, but for some reason 90% of them are focused on making your own kawaii filters out of cotton (or making your own whole resp yourself!) Bad ideas imo.

I've been experimenting with 63xx mounts/masks. It's kind of ideal with the clippy exhaust and light weight and super cheap. You can really just mount random poo poo (3dp or not) to the mask with straps and adhesives and dedication, but fitted modular mounts would be ideal. I am in the middle of modeling a fairly accurate 63xx to that end. The $5 Stealthmask is also excellent for this (and in general).

I'm curious what masks people would rock. I did an MF Doom and some geometric designs. I get scary/gruesome ones but resp is alienating enough that I just want something pretty /agreeable. There a lot of cool generic mask designs on thingiverse etc but pretty much any model could be adapted easily. Also comedy adaptors for straws and cigs. Kinda surprised this never became a thing, but I guess _extra_ flagrant violation of social norms just isn't that cool.

I'm trying to spend less time on SA (and this fast paced doom thread specifically), so if you have any burning questions/ideas, lemme know by PM. I'll try to come back and post models/prints/printer help at some point if there's interest.

I don't have pms, but Japanese fox/noh mask covers would be awesome.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Respirator crew after safe and sane recreation:

From this Naomi Wu thread

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1500459141059416067
what a great read, props to Naomi Wu for calling to attention all that poo poo my god

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tzen posted:

what a great read, props to Naomi Wu for calling to attention all that poo poo my god

I've worked in shops which were lax on safety on oh my god was it constantly stressful and annoying. My favourite incident was the guy who was lying on his back under an installation using an industrial hot melt gun to glue a piece to the underside and the 200o C hot glue dripped into his eye. (He was fine, he somehow avoided permanent injury)

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

That part caused a visceral reaction in me and my wife looked across the room when I shouted "NO" at the screen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The statement “we have made much progress in 24 months” feels like it should be true. :coffeepal:

GXL
Feb 6, 2004

It's against all of our policies for an application to ever share information with advertisers.
Seeing people who have the right spirit with knowing that they're threatened but have been given reams of bad information about how to protect themselves saddens the heart of this old plagueland wanderer

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I bought "elephant ear savers" to upgrade my gear even further:

[this is not me]

the problem with "traditional" ear savers is that there's only one point of contact, so either the top straps are still running over your ears and still cutting into them over time,
or you run both straps under your ears, but that means the loops are pulling down on the mask, which makes it not nearly as snug as they could be

this way, any earloop mask is effectively converted into having halo straps - they're pulling upwards as well as downwards to keep the mask fitting well, but while also avoiding your ears entirely

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Well, my brother got out of his $20,000 hernia operation bill, still fighting his $50,000 unvaxxed covid bill.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bought "elephant ear savers" to upgrade my gear even further:

[this is not me]

the problem with "traditional" ear savers is that there's only one point of contact, so either the top straps are still running over your ears and still cutting into them over time,
or you run both straps under your ears, but that means the loops are pulling down on the mask, which makes it not nearly as snug as they could be

this way, any earloop mask is effectively converted into having halo straps - they're pulling upwards as well as downwards to keep the mask fitting well, but while also avoiding your ears entirely
this is great and all but if someone is putting this much effort in why not go the double banded disposable route and use n95s/auras/etc? or just half-mask it at that point
then again auras/double-banded n95s are hard to come by, poo poo if this works for folks, go for it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tzen posted:

this is great and all but if someone is putting this much effort in why not go the double banded disposable route and use n95s/auras/etc? or just half-mask it at that point

earloop-KN95s are widely available here, even 3M-branded ones, but for whatever reason it's very difficult to find authentic headstrap N95s

(and I do have half-mask respirators - I wore my Honeywell to the grocery store this morning)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1501316871215325191
that pic is me looking for any more NPI scraps the CDC may have forgot about eliminating

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pictured: CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky looking for her marbles

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Excuse me what the gently caress

This is like moments before she cuts her fuckin fingers off with an angle grinder

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

earloop-KN95s are widely available here, even 3M-branded ones, but for whatever reason it's very difficult to find authentic headstrap N95s

(and I do have half-mask respirators - I wore my Honeywell to the grocery store this morning)
ah i see, gently caress

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Excuse me what the gently caress

This is like moments before she cuts her fuckin fingers off with an angle grinder
lol it's loving insane esp this bit
https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1500959513599361024
even the dudes there are on some what the gently caress man vibes

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

Phigs posted:

I wish I had enough money to build an anti-covid commune. We'd be all isolated like a cult but our only beliefs would be that getting covid is a bad idea.

Kylaer posted:

I've been looking for land. It's really hard to find decent land.

I will be looking soon as well. Not a whole lot of money but maybe enough for a small plot somewhere fairly remote. If you learn any tips on finding good land, or at least acceptable fixer-upper land, please share.

though of course it is a new and exciting way to irritate my nose bridge but everything else does too.

The 3M 7502 was doing that to me at first as well, but I realized that I could loosen the halo straps to where it wasn't resting so tightly on my nose bridge and still get a perfectly good seal. The material really seems to do a lot of the work of that, rather than N95s which don't feel assuredly sealed enough unless they're tightly plastered to your face.
I kind of wish I'd gotten a model with a speaking diaphragm though, but people here have also said it doesn't help that much.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Nocturtle posted:

Repeating some of my recent posts and apologies for the length, but summarized recent PASC studies for my own understanding and thought my notes might be of interest here. Would appreciate if people could point to any large scale studies of PASC impacts I missed.

PASC overview
-PASC encompasses a range of conditions that might occur after a COVID infection
-conditions include cardiovascular, neurological and immune disorders
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2021.698169/full
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/02/19/science/long-covid-causes.html
-several large scale studies and labor force analyses attempt to evaluate PASC rate, severity
-ignoring COVID-related mortality as it’s better understood, effectively reduced with vaccines

PASC rate estimates from major studies
-focus here on PASC rates for mild cases in <65 year olds where possible
-ideally account for vaccination impact, most large completed studies done pre-vaccine

Post-acute symptoms, new onset diagnoses and health problems 6 to 12 months after SARS-CoV-2 infection: a nationwide questionnaire study in the adult Danish population
-large scale study, 152880 participants, evaluated at 6-12 months, pre-vaccine availability
-long-term symptoms maximal for 30-60 year old
-”significant” post-infection symptoms:
-~40% risk of physical exhaustion, 35% risk of mental exhaustion
-~28% chance of memory and concentration issues
-~8% fatigue

Long COVID in a prospective cohort of home-isolated patients
-followed up 312 home-isolated (non-hospitalized) Norwegian patients from the early pandemic
-study found that 52% (32/61) of home-isolated young adults, aged 16–30 years, had symptoms at 6 months
-”significant” post-infection symptoms:
-impaired concentration (13%, 8/61)
-memory problems (11%, 7/61)
-fatigue (21%, 13/61)

Long-term cardiovascular outcomes of COVID-19
-157000 VA patients, predominantly older white males, with contemporary and historical control groups
-study period 2020-2021, pre-vaccine
-4.5% elevated risk of any cardiovascular outcome in entire cohort
-roughly 2.5% elevated risk of any cardiovascular outcome for mild cases

Six-month sequelae of post-vaccination SARS-CoV-2 infection: a retrospective cohort study of 10,024 breakthrough infections
-10024 vaccinated individuals, 9479 matched against unvaccinated controls
-evaluated pre-Omicron
-two doses had no impact on “long-COVID” features, several other disorders
-this study might be more focused on evaluating difference in long-term outcomes between vaccinated vs unvaccinated and not so much the absolute rates
-”significant” post-infection symptom:
-60% outcome of long-COVID (any) by day 150, vaccinated or not (!?!?!?)
-cognitive symptoms 10% at 150 days, vaccinated or not
-fatigue 20% at 150 days, vaccinated or not

Indirect PASC impacts from labor statistics

Is ‘long Covid’ worsening the labor shortage?
-assumes ~100 million workers infected by Oct 2021
-roughly estimates ~1.1 million people out of work due to long COVID at any given time

COVID-19 Likely Resulted in 1.2 Million More Disabled People by the End of 2021
-additional 1.2 million people in the US civilian institutional population with a registered disability in 2021 compared to 2020
-total labor force without disability is down ~2 million since the start of the pandemic
-large increase in workers with disability likely due to PASC, ~1% of infected workers

Summary
-multiple PASC research studies suggests >10% chance of “significant” long-term impact from COVID infection, esp fatigue and cognitive symptoms (estimates vary around 10-20%)
-additional risk of cardiovascular disease after mild infection is ~2.5%
-vaccines did not protect against all PASC conditions (estimates vary between 50% reduction to no effect, depending on the condition)
-vaccine protection has likely not improved with Omicron dominant given lower protection against symptomatic infection
-labor statistics suggest >1% of infected workers either disabled or too sick to continue working at least temporarily
-current overall picture is >1%-10% of COVID infections result in “significant” long term impacts, with large uncertainties in actual rates but these are likely lower bounds

Outstanding Questions/TBD
-is seriosu PASC post-COVID infection a ~1% or a ~10% outcome? PASC and labor statistic studies disagree
-is risk of PASC cumulative with reinfection? Likely yes, given PASC likely arise from factors associated with symptomatic infection
-are reinfections likely? Likely yes, given short vaccine induced neutralizing antibody lifetime and continued viral evolution
-how do PASC risks compare with other common risks? Likely significantly worse for people getting regularly infected (teachers, HCWs, parents with children in school)
-are there long term prospects for improved treatments and reduction of risks? ????

Thank you for the writeup. One thing missing - that I think is extremely important for the understanding of risk - is the age and gender distribution in the Danish study. Contrary to what most would assume, it is mostly middle aged people that get hit by a lot of these - that it is also mostly women either talks to a gender difference (which should be kept in mind with receptive female audiences), or it means that men are less likely to report their issues (in which case the actual percentages are higher...).

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Very functional and cool:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/08/health/antivirals-underused/index.html posted:

A federal program to ease access to Covid-19 antivirals rolls out, but pills have been going unused in many parts of the United States
(..)
The government has been distributing these scarce treatments to states based on the size of their populations and their Covid-19 infection rates. And although states can shift unused supplies within their own borders, there's no plan to redistribute unused doses from states that have a surplus, like Mississippi, to those that are going without, like West Virginia, which has used 84% of its allotted doses of Paxlovid through March 7.

No plan to redistribute unused pills
In the past, if states weren't using all their supplies of infused therapies like monoclonal antibodies, they could decline their allotment, and the federal government could sweep unused Covid-19 therapies back into a federal pool, where it could be claimed by other states, said Michael Ganio, senior director of pharmacy practice and quality at the American Society of Health Systems Pharmacists.
(..)
In its latest weekly update, the US Department of Health and Human Services Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, or ASPR, said the supplies of pills to stock the test-to-treat program will come from a separate federal cache of drugs that will not affect current state allocations. Test-to-treat will also ship pills directly to pharmacies serving long-term care facilities.

Pharmacy chains will choose where the pills should go, however, rather than the federal government or states.

Although the program officially gets underway this week, it may take some time to get it up and running, and it's not clear where stores that participate in the program will be located.
(..)
In many states, lifesaving pills go unused
Until test-to-treat becomes widely available, however, states will continue to be the main distributors of antivirals pills.

A CNN analysis of data collected from state health departments shows big differences in availability of these medications.

Washington and New Jersey report using nearly all available supplies of their Paxlovid, for example, but Minnesota, Mississippi and Utah still have more than three-quarters of their allocated supplies.

(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.who.int/news/item/08-03...)-08-march-2022 posted:

Interim Statement on COVID-19 vaccines in the context of the circulation of the Omicron SARS-CoV-2 Variant from the WHO Technical Advisory Group on COVID-19 Vaccine Composition (TAG-CO-VAC), 08 March 2022
(..)
Updating current COVID-19 vaccines
(..)
The TAG-CO-VAC considered a number of issues, all of which are important in any decision on COVID-19 vaccine composition:
(..)
WHO is tracking lineages under the ‘umbrella’ of Omicron, including BA.1 and BA.2. Though data are emerging, additional antigenic and virologic characterization of these lineages is needed both independently and in comparison, to the other lineages.
(..)
:thunk:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My wife has apparently been working in a tiny four person office with a maskless covid positive coworker all week and somehow it didn't spread beyond the one guy. He had to show everyone how to do the RATs too lmao

That's the closest covid has come to me. Still have no idea how I haven't got it yet. I'm back to the office as well and mask rules were dropped here like almost everywhere else.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

where da covid at

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

Pingui posted:

Thank you for the writeup. One thing missing - that I think is extremely important for the understanding of risk - is the age and gender distribution in the Danish study. Contrary to what most would assume, it is mostly middle aged people that get hit by a lot of these - that it is also mostly women either talks to a gender difference (which should be kept in mind with receptive female audiences), or it means that men are less likely to report their issues (in which case the actual percentages are higher...).

Women have a higher baseline rate of autoimmunity, so if that's the putative mechanism for a lot of this stuff that tracks.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01836-9

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the Philippine Department of Finance has rejected calls to extend the tax-exemption provisions for call center firms by another six months

this means that call center offices need to go back to 100% capacity, lest they lose their tax exempt status, effectively requiring that such companies force their employees to end their work-from-home arrangements

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Jingoro posted:

Women have a higher baseline rate of autoimmunity, so if that's the putative mechanism for a lot of this stuff that tracks.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01836-9

And younger women at that; but it should also be noted that while this is overall true, it isn't true for all sequelae (perhaps indicating a different mechanism for these). I think it is one of the most important pieces of data on PASC; what it is, how it works and likelihood of getting it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

so what naomi is saying here is, this show's gonna have some tremendous content at some point

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Foo Diddley posted:

so what naomi is saying here is, this show's gonna have some tremendous content at some point

It's not a live DIY show

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

My wife has apparently been working in a tiny four person office with a maskless covid positive coworker all week and somehow it didn't spread beyond the one guy. He had to show everyone how to do the RATs too lmao

That's the closest covid has come to me. Still have no idea how I haven't got it yet. I'm back to the office as well and mask rules were dropped here like almost everywhere else.

This is impossible. Your wife is already dead. Nobody could survive being in the same zip code with someone positive for covid. You think all the respirator crew that got positive got it by dhuge glaring security failure such as suck and loving? No! 100% respirator failure from being near a covid person.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's not a live DIY show

what? why the gently caress would anyone watch it if you're not gonna see some dipshit beardo lose an appendage

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Steve Yun posted:

god drat that thread is a tear
I gasped when I saw the photo of angle grinding using ones feet as a vice. Holy poo poo.

I don't want to know how they "use" a table saw.

All par the course for us idiot Americans.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Cheesus posted:

I gasped when I saw the photo of angle grinding using ones feet as a vice. Holy poo poo.

I don't want to know how they "use" a table saw.

All par the course for us idiot Americans.

If you think about it though, the human body has an excess of appendages or spares, which can (safely) be removed as they are effectively redundant. You don't really need two arms or two lungs.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Pingui posted:

If you think about it though, the human body has an excess of appendages or spares, which can (safely) be removed as they are effectively redundant. You don't really need two arms or two lungs.
Thanks for putting it that way.

I didn't think that I needed an explicit explanation to explain the worlds collective view of dealing with Covid, but I appreciate how you explained it through the lense of individual personal safety.

We kind of do have too many people, don't we?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

how do those of you back in the office eat and drink with your masks on? what’s the technique? how do you do it with an office full of mask less mongs?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

toggle posted:

how do those of you back in the office eat and drink with your masks on? what’s the technique? how do you do it with an office full of mask less mongs?

I go sit in my car for "smoke breaks" at 10am and 3pm. I also leave for lunch. The mask doesn't come off inside the office. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Tzen posted:

lol it's loving insane esp this bit
https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1500959513599361024
even the dudes there are on some what the gently caress man vibes

love how everyone is in the most deliberate broface garb

edit: what the gently caress are they doing to that bicycle