Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Somaen posted:

Half the fields look like there's burned tanks and other wreckage on them, even if there is someone to take the crops what are the chances it's not safe to consume?

We have been assured by the Americans that depleted uranium is safe. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Thread from an Indian journalist on how the war is perceived in India - they seem to blame Zelensky/NATO as much as Russia.
https://twitter.com/rachelchitra/status/1501471010042036233?t=-M6hn4MqjlLqk0gjck8gEw&s=19
They're sympathetic to Ukraine, but also a little dismissive - "Should have kept your nukes, shouldnt have trusted the west. This is what you get". Interesting perspective.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Young Freud posted:

An Ukrainian soldier inspects a captured Russian artillery piece and is shocked at the poor condition the piece is in. Included with translation.
https://twitter.com/ReddishCat1/status/1501489845495083011?s=20&t=e9aXQ9mobz6P0GqQsTc_qQ

An aside, but he perfectly encapsulates my image of a no-poo poo career soldier who would absolutely know his poo poo around hardware like this, and even take it a little personal that it's kept in such bad condition

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Anecdotally I've seen masses of INDIA +RUSSIA STRONG BEST FRIENDS in YouTube chat, comments, other places online. Seems like there's a well of support there, who knows how deep.

Or it's all bots of course.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Somaen posted:

Half the fields look like there's burned tanks and other wreckage on them, even if there is someone to take the crops what are the chances it's not safe to consume?

Ukraine is about the same size as Texas, except pretty much the whole thing is arable land. There's not enough tanks in the world to make a dent in the usable farmland

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

FishBulbia posted:

the only real hope i have for the conflict sparing them is a negotiated peace deal which zelensky may be able to extract in the next week or two

if the russians commit to full occupation, the conflict could last 20 years according to NBC report on US house intel breifing

Putin is 69 years old (not nice).

Looking forward to an 89 year old man in 2042 saying “I finally got ‘em.”

This seems sustainable for two decades, sure.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Young Freud posted:

An Ukrainian soldier inspects a captured Russian artillery piece and is shocked at the poor condition the piece is in. Included with translation.
https://twitter.com/ReddishCat1/status/1501489845495083011?s=20&t=e9aXQ9mobz6P0GqQsTc_qQ

This just making me think of the scene in Band of Brothers where Webster gets pissed off at the surrendering Germans and is shouting

"You tried to invade Europe with horses? What were you thinking?"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Brilliant strategy - if the equipment is in terrible condition then it won't be as much of a threat if it's captured

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zephro posted:

edit: those cages are basically field-expedient versions of slatted armour which is a real thing that real armies stick to their real tanks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slat_armor

Slat cages work against RPG-7 shells by crushing the fuse between the bars so it can't function. This doesn't work against Javelin because the fuse is not at the nose (the guidance systems camera is there).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KitConstantine posted:

They're sympathetic to Ukraine, but also a little dismissive - "Should have kept your nukes, shouldnt have trusted the west. This is what you get". Interesting perspective.
Not sure about the rest but this isn't an uncommon sentiment in Europe as well.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This just making me think of the scene in Band of Brothers where Webster gets pissed off at the surrendering Germans and is shouting

"You tried to invade Europe with horses? What were you thinking?"
Am I hallucinating or did you have that as "Babe of Brothers" before ninja editing it? :thunk:

Often Abbreviated posted:

Anecdotally I've seen masses of INDIA +RUSSIA STRONG BEST FRIENDS in YouTube chat, comments, other places online. Seems like there's a well of support there, who knows how deep.

Or it's all bots of course.
Oh man remember the insane India vs Pakistan memes?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

mobby_6kl posted:

Not sure about the rest but this isn't an uncommon sentiment in Europe as well.

Am I hallucinating or did you have that as "Babe of Brothers" before ninja editing it? :thunk:

Oh man remember the insane India vs Pakistan memes?

supper bowl to you sir

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ukraine is about the same size as Texas, except pretty much the whole thing is arable land. There's not enough tanks in the world to make a dent in the usable farmland

I get that, but I hope modern cleanup methods in agriculture are good, since statistically someone out there is going to get crops grown in war afflicted areas contaminated by heavy metals and god knows what else

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Time for more nuke chat! Not the Clancy kind the HBO kind. Russians have cut off Chernobyl from the local grid
https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1501517856680431619?t=4symI-RvnA4PF1Y1hvriUA&s=19
Article (reprint of a Rueters article with statements from the IAEA): https://www.scmp.com/news/world/eur...ampaign=3169805

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Somaen posted:

I get that, but I hope modern cleanup methods in agriculture are good, since statistically someone out there is going to get crops grown in war afflicted areas contaminated by heavy metals and god knows what else

The bigger problem is that all the tractors are busy towing Russian poo poo

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Somaen posted:

Leaked diesel fuel would be my primary concern. But I wouldn't worry so much, because I don't think plants grow that well in toxic soil anyway. Food crops in particular. And UXO buried in the soil will make tractorists avoid those parts, I hope.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Somaen posted:

If you get a big sack of rice from India now, there's a non-zero chance it's been contaminated by some Bhopal level industrial disaster.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

mobby_6kl posted:

The bigger problem is that all the tractors are busy towing Russian poo poo

Hell yeah

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you get a big sack of rice from India now, there's a non-zero chance it's been contaminated by some Bhopal level industrial disaster.

My hometown is 500 miles from Ukraine and we get vegetables and fruit from Ukraine so it's slightly more close than rice and India

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Somaen posted:

I too am worried about the environmental effects on the land, but I’m guessing most of this junk is not ending up in farmers fields.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Karl Barks posted:

I don't want the war either, and I do place most of the blame on Russia as they are the aggressor. That's a separate question from whether the US should be sending large weapon shipments to Ukraine. I'm not sure how the sanctions got rolled into this, I just disagreed that BDS movement and state sanctions are the same thing.

So, when the US provides arms for anti-imperialist wars, it's 'prolonging the suffering' whereas, say, the PRC providing arms to the Viet Minh against the French is solidarity, does that sound about right?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
What's little diesel fuel on your food, when Ukraine probably has bioweapons, not just according to Putin, but according to Nuland as well

quote:

Rubio: I only have a minute left. Let me ask you, does Ukraine have chemical or biological weapons?

Nuland: Ukraine has biological research facilities, which, in fact, we are now quite concerned Russian forces may be seeking to gain control of. So we are working with the Ukrainians on how they can prevent any of those research materials from falling into the hands of Russian forces, should they approach.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Oh no! Not biological research facilities!

Looking forward to Vlad sending in his paratroopers in the west of Ireland to liberate my campus next.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

Can sanctions be added to the list of boring poo poo that gets rehashed over and over?

It's an ongoing development, so no. I can only hope that we'll get fewer dull conversation about them than the last night.

a podcast for cats posted:

Energy prices is one thing, but it also seems that Ukraine is now banning exports of grains (except for wheat), meat, sugar and salt. Seems that the salt hoarders in Eastern Europe were onto something.

We're running out of hydrogen peroxide now, salt is old news.

Zephro posted:

edit: those cages are basically field-expedient versions of slatted armour which is a real thing that real armies stick to their real tanks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slat_armor

They stick them in hopes to tamper with some of the shittier munitions out there. Cope cages do literally nothing to modern ATGMs with tandem warheads.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They stick them in hopes to tamper with some of the shittier munitions out there. Cope cages do literally nothing to modern ATGMs with tandem warheads.

Yeah, even modern RPG-7 munitions can defeat slat armor.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Somaen posted:

Hell yeah

My hometown is 500 miles from Ukraine and we get vegetables and fruit from Ukraine so it's slightly more close than rice and India

OK but the point is, lots of people do eat rice :shrug: . If you want to pointlessly fret about a non-issue be my guest tho

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Somaen posted:

The standard method for soil decontamination is digging it all up and dumping it in a confined area. Plants also love to soak up heavy metals and other exotic compounds in the soil. I doubt an ukrainian farmer has the means to send soil samples to a lab or access to a $20k XRF device to check for contamination other than diesel, which you can smell.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Anyone know the current situation in and around Kyiv? Last I heard the Russians were ready to assault it, but they just seem to still be hanging out in that convoy. Is Kyiv surrounded? Or are weapons and supplies still being delivered? Also, what are the odds Zelensky films himself in urban combat?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

KitConstantine posted:

Time for more nuke chat! Not the Clancy kind the HBO kind. Russians have cut off Chernobyl from the local grid
https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1501517856680431619?t=4symI-RvnA4PF1Y1hvriUA&s=19
Article (reprint of a Rueters article with statements from the IAEA): https://www.scmp.com/news/world/eur...ampaign=3169805
That's probably not good. Something like that happened in Fukushima where spent fuel pools started boiling. After water evaporates, fuel rods might release radioactivity to atmosphere.

(if they are still stored in that way, I have no idea)

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 9, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Not surrounded, still being supplied, Russians appear to be consolidating forces, loosely speaking, in the outskirts (think like 10-40 miles out, not like, end of the metro system).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

Anyone know the current situation in and around Kyiv? Last I heard the Russians were ready to assault it, but they just seem to still be hanging out in that convoy. Is Kyiv surrounded? Or are weapons and supplies still being delivered? Also, what are the odds Zelensky films himself in urban combat?

It’s definitely not surrounded, but Russian armies appear to be slowly creeping towards it from both sides of the river. Supplies are more than likely still being delivered.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ukraine has weapons, of mass destruction, and needs to be stopped!

Dick Ripple posted:

According to the BBC, the Ukrainians are still dug in near Kyiv, and the city has not been fully surrounded (yet).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60671329

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Somaen posted:

France has been farming in fields for a 100 years now full of that stuff and the amount of shells dwarfs anything in Ukraine. Vietnam etc have it even worse.

The problem right now is that a lot of the farmers are fleeing for their lives and won't be sowing or reaping any time soon.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 9, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Comstar posted:

France has been farming in fields for a 100 years now full of that stuff and the amount of shells dwarfs anything in Ukraine.

Well in that specific case it's an established fact that the blood of the martyrs will water the meadows of fraaaaaaaaaaaaaance

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Dick Ripple posted:

No matter how much you wish upon a wishing star, and how much western media you read, it's gonna happen. Kyiv is going to be a horrible bloodbath. For the most likely/similar outcome, look up what the Russians did to Grozny in 2000.

The discussion really should be on what the West can do or what their response will be when images of the devastated capital and tens of thousands of innocents slaughtered wholesale are made public.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

KitConstantine posted:

Thread from an Indian journalist on how the war is perceived in India - they seem to blame Zelensky/NATO as much as Russia.
https://twitter.com/rachelchitra/status/1501471010042036233?t=-M6hn4MqjlLqk0gjck8gEw&s=19

India-Russia cultural and social ties are immensely strong

It's obvious that China now overshadows the other two and Russia would much prefer China as a security partner over India, and even Pakistan as a South Asian partner over India - India-China tensions are pretty bad at present, shooting border skirmish only quite recently, hence India reluctantly drifting into the US-aligned Quad - but Indian domestic discourse has not quite caught up. The left indulges the special relationship whilst the right indulges neo-authoritarian strongman visions

It'll shift eventually but for now nobody is in a particular hurry to pick sides. the Quad itself has had little to say over India's claims in Ladakh and is instead more interested in the Chinese naval bases in Gwadar and Djibouti. Which concern India, true, but are not as central either

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Comstar posted:

France has been farming in fields for a 100 years now full of that stuff and the amount of shells dwarfs anything in Ukraine. Vietnam etc have it even worse.
Most damaged areas of WW1 battlefields are still within "Zone rouge" and farming or housing there is forbidden. There is a lot of unexploded ordnance, but also a lot of heavy metals.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
ik edit: :nms: charred corpse

Another fuel truck wrecked. These are so important!
https://mobile.twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1501517822043865089

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 9, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://t.me/rian_ru/152286

Russia is angling to nationalise foreign property. So far, this targets foreign company that have ceased operations in Russia, with at least 25% of their shares owned by persons from the yesterday’s list of hostile countries.

https://twitter.com/karoldarmoros/status/1501514363106205697

The plane saga continues, with Poland being now more explicitly worried about individual consequences.

https://t.me/rian_ru/152262

Russia says that US is “waging de facto economic war” against it.

https://t.me/rian_ru/152245

It also is now saying that they’re not pursuing regime change in Ukraine.

https://t.me/rian_ru/152258

Russian government is going to announce their bans on exports and imports within hours.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dwesa posted:

Most damaged areas of WW1 battlefields are still within "Zone rouge" and farming or housing there is forbidden. There is a lot of unexploded ordnance, but also a lot of heavy metals.

Yeah a huge chunk of it is literally impossible to grow any plants in, in some places the arsenic content of the soil is 17% (not a typo!), and it's illegal to go there, so I'm not sure what kinda French produce op was imagining.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Uhhhh that tweet may have a picture of a burning corpse in the second picture fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Pyromancer posted:

What's little diesel fuel on your food, when Ukraine probably has bioweapons, not just according to Putin, but according to Nuland as well

you might want to quote the entire thing Nuland said. This is not admitting Ukraine have bioweapons.

quote:

“Ukraine has biological research facilities, which in fact we are now quite concerned Russian troops, Russian forces, may be seeking to gain control of,” senior State Department official Victoria Nuland told US lawmakers at a hearing when asked directly whether Ukraine has bioweapons.

“So we are working with the Ukrainians on how they can prevent any of those research materials from falling into the hands of Russian forces should they approach.”

US Senator Marco Rubio noted there were “Russian propaganda” reports claiming the discovery of a plot by Ukrainians to release biological weapons, with coordination from NATO.

Asked by Rubio if a biological or chemical weapon attack were to occur inside Ukraine, whether Russians would be behind it, Nuland asserted: “There is no doubt in my mind, senator.”

“And it is a classic Russian technique to blame on the other guy what they’re planning to do themselves.”

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1565587/us-concerned-russia-wants-to-seize-ukraine-bioresearch