Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

mdemone posted:

holy living and breathing shitballs

thank you, I don't have to worry about anything until I'm 56, per these graphsd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
good thing everyone in charge of everything is…

oh. well uh

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Sounds like Seattle public schools are getting rid of their masks next week too! Exciting stuff!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mdemone posted:

humans have always lived with disease

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
vote!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

as a species

individually, well,

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 354 days!

Dog Case posted:

https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1501017039028248577

Smaller dumber brain means I can be less mad about how bad and dumb everything is

Wait so the policy is "just bury it all as our (shrinking) ape brains couldn't possibly handle reality"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

inferis posted:

it only gets funnier every time we have a new wave and a flood of posters that wore lovely masks up to that point and only then decided that they need an elastomeric. doubly so when they’re concerned about the exhaust vent

Now that you mention it, I just wear cheap ones, I haven't really come to this thread very much. Are any of the hardware store masks satisfactory? Or other recommendations? I've just been using kn-95s mostly consistently.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

So far this month in Virginia, I've been in several stores with signs asking customers to wear masks (like actually requiring it, not "suggested"), and when I go in, the customers are masked and the staff are unmasked

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Toaster Coaster posted:

I have to go to Maryland for court for a few days at the end of the month. Curious what your source is as I'd like to keep track and ease my mind.

https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/

choose whatever county you'll be in with the little dropdown thingy

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

covid is loving over

our brains lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

petit choux posted:

Now that you mention it, I just wear cheap ones, I haven't really come to this thread very much. Are any of the hardware store masks satisfactory? Or other recommendations? I've just been using kn-95s mostly consistently.

A KN95 is much better than a cloth mask, but the best protection is a P100 respirator. 3M Auras are generally considered the best-fitting and most comfortable N95s.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nocturtle posted:

For anyone on the younger side freaking out about that Nature article re reduced brain size post-infection, note that the distinction between controls and infected people becomes very small for people under 50 years old. This is best cope I can come up with for clear evidence of widescale brain damage from an out of control pandemic.

Ugh maybe get your shots in while they're there.

Goddamn it I'm only 6 weeks out from when CVS will let me get shot 4.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chamale posted:

A KN95 is much better than a cloth mask, but the best protection is a P100 respirator. 3M Auras are generally considered the best-fitting and most comfortable N95s.

That is, unless you want to go with a 3M FF-400 series full face respirator

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

U-DO Burger posted:

my dad is a 65-year-old high school teacher and he told me yesterday how the end of mask mandates is making him really nervous. he said he was going to ask about keeping masks required in his class, since he is at higher risk. he was shocked when i told him that the best he can probably hope for is an informal agreement from his students, and not to expect any administrative support whatsoever. he didn't realize that the new guidance meant masks weren't even recommended anymore.

i typically follow this kind of post with 'lol lmao' but i just feel really sad. my dad's given so much of his life to teaching, and he's about to see how little his safety matters to the powers that be :smith:

Dreadfully sorry to hear that.

But I suspect he's probably aware of just how little support he can expect from the administrative PHBs in other areas. School administrations are infamously stupid and corrupt, and the higher up you go the worse the stench gets.

There's no way you can put in more than a decade's worth of time in that profession without figuring it out. Let alone as much as your dad probably has. I got a secondhand view because my mom put more than 30 years into secondary teaching. And she could smell a lovely command structure well before I was even born.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 354 days!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

trip report from day 1 of wearing 9211 at work. even with vent, it feels like the same experience as the 9210. my mouth still gets warm and moist. it still makes me sneeze

I have the 8511s too which are nice because they get the mask off my nose more and I don’t sneeze, but the metal nose clamps hurt by the end of the day

honestly I do loving hate wearing disposable respirators all day long.

I’d wear an elastomeric but I would get so much social pressure about it and I have to be on calls most of the day. need people to hear me

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn it I'm only 6 weeks out from when CVS will let me get shot 4.

I'd just lie and say I'm not vaccinated tbh. Not like anyone gives a poo poo at this point

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 354 days!

i think im becoming a chud

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

I'd just lie and say I'm not vaccinated tbh. Not like anyone gives a poo poo at this point

yeah I'm prob gonna do this for shot 5 in a few weeks

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

Nocturtle posted:

We'll get there. A couple of years of minor restrictions was enough for the public to accept implicit (or not so implicit) genocide against the immunocompromised and elderly. Doesn't suggest great things for the coming decades, when living standards start getting significantly impacted by climate change and environmental degradation.

It's going to be crabs in a bucket. No other way it can play out.

That was baked into American cultural DNA before my grandparents were born.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I didn't notice initially today, but the bad number I showed was based off of reporting from 5500 hospitals instead of the normal 6100. This usually only happens on Tuesday, so I hope its not a sign of things to come.

Here's the past few weeks

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/dgaytand...ingawful.com%2F

Well, well, that's kinda more evidence that America did made Covid in their lab after all.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It was me. I made COVID in a lab

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Chamale posted:

It's the correct name of the country, like how Swaziland is now eSwatini and The Czech Republic is now Czechia.

Yeah, but what if the wrong thing is what it's called in Risk?

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

NeonPunk posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dgaytand...ingawful.com%2F

Well, well, that's kinda more evidence that America did made Covid in their lab after all.

Only if someone hasn't been reading carefully.

There was abundant evidence of zoonotic origin, almost from the start of the pandemic.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Thoguh posted:

Posting this mostly just because of the illustration

https://twitter.com/kashprime/status/1501576459873304580?s=21

Saving this thread for tonight when I get to fight with my parents about our COVID restrictions for visits.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Thoguh posted:

Posting this mostly just because of the illustration

https://twitter.com/kashprime/status/1501576459873304580?s=21
One of the things he says is that BA.2 will get those who didn’t get Omicron. Do we know yet whether BA.1 offers nAb protection from BA.2? Because I’m seeing claims elsewhere that maybe 1&2 are antigenically different enough that 2 should be its own variant. Which seems like maybe BA.2 is a threat to everyone anyway, whether they got Omicron or not.

Toaster Coaster
Feb 26, 2013

Dren posted:

https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/

choose whatever county you'll be in with the little dropdown thingy

Much appreciated.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dog Case posted:

https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1501017039028248577

Smaller dumber brain means I can be less mad about how bad and dumb everything is

hurr hurr cspam thinks covid is airborne brain damage, wrap it up caveailures

actually im now pretty convinced that while one covid infection may not in fact be airborne parkinsons, its gonna be Funny 10 years down the road when we found out what multiple covid infections does to people lmao

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Doors in my section of the office are now Open Biden on order of the director, no exceptions. There goes my brief period of hyperfiltered air bliss, RIP to ever eating or drinking in my office.

https://www.zipwall.com/product/zipdoor-standard-door-kit/

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

AppleNippleBOB posted:

:rubby:

(*Meanwhile my former employer who got $675k in relief funds, bought another buisness and building, never lost much work due to covid - he didn't pay people when they were home sick w covid past 5/10 days. Those types won't be punished)

One of the biggest recipients of relief funds in IL was a for-profit owner of a bunch of nursing homes that were responsible for killing a majority of elders in the state.

And since each nursing home was individually incorporated each home got several million.

I tried counting up the total amount the owner got but lost track somewhere around $40-50 million.

afaik, the state has taken no action nor fined any of the nursing homes for negligence; the owner prolly used some of the money as campaign contributions.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

One of the things he says is that BA.2 will get those who didn’t get Omicron. Do we know yet whether BA.1 offers nAb protection from BA.2? Because I’m seeing claims elsewhere that maybe 1&2 are antigenically different enough that 2 should be its own variant. Which seems like maybe BA.2 is a threat to everyone anyway, whether they got Omicron or not.

Sorry for the self quote:

Nocturtle posted:

Linked in the D&D thread:

The linked paper is here. It looks like they used national databases of coronavirus infections to infer protection against reinfection by BA.1 or BA.2:

The main reinfection protection number from the abstract:

Note this effectiveness was evaluated at 45 days. No idea if the paper's methodology is good, in particular it looks like they're just relying on national databases being complete and not missing a significant number of cases. Or at least assuming the rate of unreported cases would be the same in the infected vs non-infected cohorts? The overall age distribution skews to the younger side as well. They claim they controlled for vaccination status in their regression analysis, but provide few details beyond the reported adjusted hazard ratio.

Here's the main plot:

Would be good if true, esp for NYC and other places that just got Omicroned.

edit: aside from everything else, interesting to compare infection rates between BA.1 and BA.2 in the non-infected cohorts...
Though probably more to do with whatever the local dominant strain is.

Personally think these results look too good to be true, I haven't seen >90% effectiveness quoted for anything COVID-immunity related since the intial mRNA vaccine trials against alpha. But on their face they suggest some real world evidence that maybe BA1 infected people will have at least a few months of relative protection against BA2. One big lesson from the breakthrough infection era is to not rely on your immunity at all.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mdemone posted:

FIZZZZZZ!!!!!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
brain damaged populace and nukes?! wait I’ve seen this one before

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r8fkrPP_0qA

ThatBasqueGuy