Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Grabnar posted:

This probably belongs in the mental health thread but does anyone have tips for finding a Covid realist psychiatrist? I'm not doing so hot depression wise after some personal poo poo piled on top of the general loving nihilism of the moment.

I'm considering going back on antidepressants for the first time in a hot minute and my doc wants me to see someone more specialized. Not crazy urgent but definitely not at a point I want to sit on things too long.

Echoing and signal-boosting this.
Honestly - especially as what little restrictions/mandates that remain are lifted - I think it would be wonderful to start a spreadsheet of various known doctors of various specializations who actually take COVID seriously so goons can try and see dentists and poo poo as safely as possible. I'd offer to get the ball rolling, but lol my dentist is a nice guy but very much beholden to trusting the CDC and authority, and my general practitioner is someone who, even as recently as this January, recommends to his patients and family that a cloth mask is more than enough and no one outside of healthcare needs an N95 and my elastomeric is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sydney health minister Brad "Health" Hazzard is saying BA2 is about to gently caress poo poo up in Australia

Brad Hazzard concerned at rise of COVID-19 Omicron sub-variant BA2, flags case spike
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-10/nsw-covid-concern-at-rise-of-ba2-sub-variant/100898154

i'm shocked that this could of happened, even with all of our restrictions and what not!!

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Lacrosse posted:

If that dog got close enough to get brained with a brick I'd be worried it might have rabies, especially if it was aggressive.

They had collars with tags but there was no way I was letting them break skin on me. I will kill an animal with my bare hands if needed. Play time is over

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Another day, another 327k cases for South Korea.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04569-5_reference.pdf

the paper itself, not the tweets around it, is the content I crave

now do it again in 6 months when half the COVID group have had it again. gimmie that longitude

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

GXL posted:

The lady at Costco asked if I wanted to take off my mask for the card photo and I said

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Nah.

They can reduce your exposure by factors of hundreds or thousands. This easily brings the true risk of COVID at the zoo to less than the risk of a fatal car crash on the way there.

I do all kinds of unnecessary stuff in my respirator, like foregoing curbside pickup to get good produce or visiting museums.

Respirators are great, but let’s not make up myths about them.

What are the best guesses for how much protection or how leaky n95s really are for covid? Sorry to quote this horrendous shitbag, but Leonhardt today claims that it's on the order of this

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/briefing/covid-precautions-red-blue-states.html

quote:

I’ve come to think of the point this way: Imagine that you carry around a six-sided die that determines whether you contract Covid, and you must roll it every time you enter an indoor space with other people. Without a mask, you will get Covid if you roll a one or a two. With a mask, you will get Covid only if you roll a one.

Notwithstanding this would be a hugely effective intervention if true, I think he or the guy he quotes completely made these numbers up?

If you're say just sitting with your aura on, not eating, in a crowded restaurant full of covid positive spittle saturating the stale air for an hour or two, what are your odds? Do we have any idea at all?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shear Modulus posted:

look for people who are still holding appointments over video? or when you first speak with them/their assistant to set up the intake appointment ask them straight up. i don't think people will post their stance on whether covid is over or not on their psychologytoday profile

yup. when I was looking for a therapist I specifically asked for one doing all their appointments by video instead of in person and wound up with a fellow caver who talks to likeminded people all day. it’s a good signal if they aren’t going to the office.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

The lady at Costco asked if I wanted to take off my mask for the card photo and I said turn on your monitor

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
[COVID] I will kill an animal with my bare hands if needed. Play time is over

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Mola Yam posted:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mola Yam posted:

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Echoing and signal-boosting this.
Honestly - especially as what little restrictions/mandates that remain are lifted - I think it would be wonderful to start a spreadsheet of various known doctors of various specializations who actually take COVID seriously so goons can try and see dentists and poo poo as safely as possible. I'd offer to get the ball rolling, but lol my dentist is a nice guy but very much beholden to trusting the CDC and authority, and my general practitioner is someone who, even as recently as this January, recommends to his patients and family that a cloth mask is more than enough and no one outside of healthcare needs an N95 and my elastomeric is ridiculous.

This is very much the problem that I’ve run into as well, the “official guidance” has eliminated a lot of the virtual options that were available, and everyone else is on the “Doing well. Covid a few times” train. My GP, dentist, optometrist, even my loving asthma doc have removed “
mask “recommendations” and “social distancing” in their waiting rooms, so there’s not even some TSA-level safety theater going on anymore.

I’m just so exhausted and not sure what to even do at this point.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

[COVID] I will pet an animal with my bare hands if needed. Play time is over

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Dren posted:

https://twitter.com/choo_ek/status/1501602780334542848?s=21

good thread

the dude he had on was some big deal aids researcher. monica, fauci, and now this guy, what is it with the aids doctors being so loving bad at covid?

i mean, they were bad at aids, too

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

mdemone posted:

almost every dog will at least stop if you step toward them and show them your hands, but the most important part is that you can't be afraid of them.

they say that dogs smell fear but it's not like that. dogs have been co-existing with humans for so long now that they understand human behavior in ways that other animals don't.

I have been afraid of dogs, I have lived with many dogs, and I've learned what makes even strange dogs back down. Really kinda fascinating.

edit: obv if they continue to be aggressive then absolutely dump the idiot, like kick em in the head
Thanks. I’m moving to a semi-rural area soon, so who knows what critters are going to be rolling into my yard. Would rather everyone walk away from encounters intact.

Grabnar posted:

This is very much the problem that I’ve run into as well, the “official guidance” has eliminated a lot of the virtual options that were available, and everyone else is on the “Doing well. Covid a few times” train. My GP, dentist, optometrist, even my loving asthma doc have removed “
mask “recommendations” and “social distancing” in their waiting rooms, so there’s not even some TSA-level safety theater going on anymore.

I’m just so exhausted and not sure what to even do at this point.
I’m looking forward to my upcoming red state DMV experience once I move and have to get a new license!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Grabnar posted:

This probably belongs in the mental health thread but does anyone have tips for finding a Covid realist psychiatrist? I'm not doing so hot depression wise after some personal poo poo piled on top of the general loving nihilism of the moment.

I'm considering going back on antidepressants for the first time in a hot minute and my doc wants me to see someone more specialized. Not crazy urgent but definitely not at a point I want to sit on things too long.

Go see a jungian therapist. They can be a lil strange but they aren't afraid to talk about the end of the world with you

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Strep Vote posted:

i mean, they were bad at aids, too

Lots of people who weren't really directly affected by AIDS suddenly realizing that the US response to that pandemic was also dogshit.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol that this will be ignored and is currently being ignored by schools/states

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Masks can't reduce school transmission since COVID doesn't spread in schools.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Mola Yam posted:

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

Masks can't reduce school transmission since COVID is over

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

icantfindaname posted:

What are the best guesses for how much protection or how leaky n95s really are for covid? Sorry to quote this horrendous shitbag, but Leonhardt today claims that it's on the order of this

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/briefing/covid-precautions-red-blue-states.html

Notwithstanding this would be a hugely effective intervention if true, I think he or the guy he quotes completely made these numbers up?

If you're say just sitting with your aura on, not eating, in a crowded restaurant full of covid positive spittle saturating the stale air for an hour or two, what are your odds? Do we have any idea at all?

The dice analogy may not be far off for a cloth mask or a loose‐fitting surgical mask.

N95s are way, way better.

In Leonhardt’s analogy, keeping in mind that there’s only a one in three chance of getting infected in this hypothetical even if barefaced, getting infected in a post‐exercise N95 has lower odds than critical failure on two consecutive d6 rolls, followed by a third roll of less than five. I don’t know why we’re using dice, because I don’t think people have particularly intuitive understanding of the probabilities, but it sounds good.

Here’s one small study I posted about other day, where N95s were tested before and after vigorous exercise.

Platystemon posted:

Here’s a study involving exercise under hot and moderately humid conditions. Of note, they used Auras (albeit the surgical model). Fit factor was degraded by an hour of exercise, but it may have been due to mechanical and seal effects, like the respirator slipping around on a sweaty face and/or deforming more easily when warm and wet.

The P100 respirator used was the 3M 8293.

Many results exceeded the limit of quantization in this study at 200+, at least initially, and even after exercise, managing better than a factor of twenty is respectable.

More sensitive methods of measurement are used in many workplace studies, for here with the 3M 8511 and here with the 9211 (valved Aura of the previous generation). Still, protection factors below twenty or above five hundred are relatively rare.

Exposure reduction against specific ærosols isn’t quite the same thing as efficacy against viral infection, but outside of doing expensive and/or unethical experiments, it’s probably the best we’ll get. Do also note that the participants are fit tested, but the naive fit test pass rate for some models of respirator is quite good, so that’s not as much as a worry as it may sound.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

if this was even close to true, every covid ward doctor the world over would be quadruple dead right now, and their corpse would be double dead from beyond the veil as well.

i know like two dozen people who have spent the last two years spending pretty much full time (and sometimes more) in hospital settings (not always covid wards, but sometimes) and only one of them has gotten COVID -- and he's pretty certain it's from an infected kid coughing directly into his face when he was wearing a surgical mask.

not to say that masks are magic talismans or something, but a correctly worn, not-removed quality (kf94 or better) mask is very very very effective.

it would be amazing if we somehow had challenge trial data for real world infection probability, but we don't. that being said, a six sided die is a ridiculous overestimate of risk and the real analogy would either be in the hundreds of even thousands (again: for a never removed high quality mask)

all of which just makes me even more furious that people don't just loving wear masks!!! it would be so easy!!!

Soap Scum fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 10, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I only have the abstract for this study, but I want to mention it anyway because even the abstract is interesting.

Comparison of performance of three different types of respiratory protection devices

Here’s how it opens:

quote:

Respiratory protection is offered to American workers in a variety of ways to guard against potential inhalation hazards. Two of the most common ways are elastomeric N95 respirators and N95 filtering-facepiece respirators. Some in the health care industry feel that surgical masks provide an acceptable level of protection in certain situations against particular hazards.

Industrial hygienists were throwing massive shade thrown on elements within the healthcare field sixteen years ago. Folks, this is what we call “foreshadowing”.

quote:

A panel of 25 test subjects with varying face sizes tested 15 models of elastomeric N95 respirators, 15 models of N95 filtering-facepiece respirators, and 6 models of surgical masks.

quote:

The level of protection provided by each of the three respiratory protection types was compared. The GM and 5th percentile SWPF values without fit testing were used for the comparison, as surgical masks were not intended to be fit tested. The GM values were 36 for elastomeric N95 respirators, 21 for N95 filtering-facepiece respirators, and 3 for surgical masks. An analysis of variance demonstrated a statistically significant difference between all three. Elastomeric N95 respirators had the highest 5th percentile SWPF of 7. N95 filtering-facepiece respirators and surgical masks had 5th percentile SWPFs of 3 and 1, respectively.

SWPF is “Simulated Workplace Protection Factor”

Oh wow it turns out that “some in the health care industry” were high on their own supply and that surgical masks are no substitute for respirators. Quelle surprise.

P.S. after fit testing:

quote:

It was found that passing a fit test generally improves the protection afforded the wearer. Passing the Bitrex fit test resulted in 5th percentile SWPFs of 11.1 and 7.9 for elastomeric and filtering-facepiece respirators, respectively. After passing the saccharin tests, the elastomeric respirators provided a 5th percentile of 11.7, and the filtering-facepiece respirators provided a 5th percentile of 11.0. The 5th percentiles after passing the N95-Companion were 13.0 for the elastomeric respirators and 20.5 for the filtering-facepiece respirators. The data supports fit testing as an essential element of a complete respiratory protection program.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Horseshoe theory posted:

that's what they get for not letting more people get infected and die faster. if they had let 0.3% of their population die like the USA did they'd have herd immunity

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1501664216977084416?cxt=HHwWgMCsjcbp_dYpAAAA

jfc what are you doing lmao

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

when the 'mectin hits

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

facetoucher cat posted:

Due to my mental health conditions it's possibly best I don't own a firearm. I own plenty of non-lethal options, I just got complacent, it will not happen again

Sure, it definitely wasnt a suggestion. Doesn’t sound like you actually needed one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
so what's the strategy for getting a 4th shot now? same as before? lie about being unvaxxed?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Mola Yam posted:

[COVID] Eyes. Throat. Genitals.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Horseshoe theory posted:

Lol wow

New Zealand is also getting rocked, about 60% more per capita cases than the USA ever had

Denmark and Netherlands still looking like the per capita champs but we will see

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 10, 2022

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
is there an airline that has historically been *more* restrictive for COVID? like e.g. is _____ doing better at enforcing mask use? I know pretty much all of them don’t seem to be allowing respirators with valves, gently caress yourselves very much.

my parents want to visit and my mom has a poo poo back and can’t drive, so I’m willing to pay whatever differential so they go on a safer, less-exposed flight bar renting a private jet. looking for any kind of guidance here, even if it’s just “definitely don’t do ______.” (which I kind of am assuming will be Southwest)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Magic posted:

is there an airline that has historically been *more* restrictive for COVID? like e.g. is _____ doing better at enforcing mask use? I know pretty much all of them don’t seem to be allowing respirators with valves, gently caress yourselves very much.

my parents want to visit and my mom has a poo poo back and can’t drive, so I’m willing to pay whatever differential so they go on a safer, less-exposed flight bar renting a private jet. looking for any kind of guidance here, even if it’s just “definitely don’t do ______.” (which I kind of am assuming will be Southwest)

The federal mask mandate for transportation expires on the eighteenth.

Things will get interesting after that date.

e: My phrasing is coy here, but to be clear, the environment will get worse but there is some possibility that one or more airlines will stop caring about valved respirators.

More likely, it’s going to be a complete mess and up to the whims of the staff and crew.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 10, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
let’s see how England is doing with lifting their mask mandates

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7073239500859886894

oops

GXL
Feb 6, 2004

It's against all of our policies for an application to ever share information with advertisers.
Thanks everyone for the mask compliments and tales of brutal dog slaying

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Exposure reduction against specific ærosols isn’t quite the same thing as efficacy against viral infection, but outside of doing expensive and/or unethical experiments, it’s probably the best we’ll get. Do also note that the participants are fit tested, but the naive fit test pass rate for some models of respirator is quite good, so that’s not as much as a worry as it may sound.

This means Auras, right?

Thanks for the info

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

I only have the abstract for this study, but I want to mention it anyway because even the abstract is interesting.

Comparison of performance of three different types of respiratory protection devices

Here’s how it opens:

Industrial hygienists were throwing massive shade thrown on elements within the healthcare field sixteen years ago. Folks, this is what we call “foreshadowing”.

SWPF is “Simulated Workplace Protection Factor”

Oh wow it turns out that “some in the health care industry” were high on their own supply and that surgical masks are no substitute for respirators. Quelle surprise.

P.S. after fit testing:

a few weeks ago someone in this thread asked me why i trusted NIOSH and it's because they do this stuff

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I saw a story about how much Biden has reduced the deficit and now I wonder.

From a stone cold numbers perspective, culling the over 60s is a positive thing for the American Empire. Consumer spending going down because you cavers are making normals scared with your masks is a negative. That's all you need to know to understand the government response. All the olds dying doesn't hurt the system. Kids getting disabled hurts the system in the future, and we don't do long term planning. What causes problems here and now is reduced spending hurting the economy, parents being less productive because someone's got to watch the kids if schools are closed, and WFH hurting commercial real estate.

The purpose of our society, the way we have created our civilization, is to maximize our productivity in order to concentrate wealth upwards. Everything else is in service to that. The purpose of Healthcare is not to relieve suffering, it is to repair broken workers. The police are not here to create justice but to preserve private property. The fast food industry exists not to cater to a big aspect of human nature and culture, eating and sharing meals, but to get nutrients into the workers as quickly as possible as no one has time to cook. There are dozens of other examples.

We live in a society. The purpose of that society is not to preserve human life or dignity, or provide for our needs, but to make the economic number go up. If it ever does help people, that's a means to the ends of making number go up. (In the short term. Remember that long or even medium term planning isn't possible. )

Looked at from that perspective, the government response is rational. You people insisting that everything isn't normal hunky dorry are a bigger threat than covid (until we get the mutation that kills enough workers to shut down the system, or until a generation has passed and the kids getting crippled right now enter the workforce). Until then you are the threat to stability, and you will be spit on for wearing a mask.

If this doesn't make sense then blame it on long covid brain damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Platystemon posted:

The federal mask mandate for transportation expires on the eighteenth.

Things will get interesting after that date.

e: My phrasing is coy here, but to be clear, the environment will get worst but there is some possibility that one or more airlines will stop caring about valved respirators.

More likely, it’s going to be a complete mess and up to the whims of the staff and crew.

I picked up what you were putting down without the edit but I thank you.

lol this is gonna be a tough loving ask to just tell them not to come see their grandbaby. I’ll probably email them first so I don’t immediately start yelling about rape-palace capitalism (though that does make them want to stop talking to me so idk)