Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:sad:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/former-pm-netanyahu-contracts-coronavirus-1.10663923 posted:

Former PM Netanyahu Contracts Coronavirus
Netanyahu tests positive for COVID after attending a ceremony at the Israeli parliament
(..)
“The pandemic is not over,” said Prof. Hagai Levine, chairman of the Israeli Association of Public Health Physicians. “It is just wrong to go on with our lives and forget about COVID. My colleagues and I are definitely worried.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Netherlands had a lockdown in December to deal with Delta and rolled out boosters (Dec/Jan) at the same time. This probably slowed down BA1, we did have lots of cases eventually but mainly among the young who still had to go to school (or they'd go insane!).

With elections coming up pretty much all NPIs are gone since about two weeks. Masking is now only required for public transport, WFH is officially recommended as 50% maximum. The peak of the Delta wave for 60+ is now the baseline as we're starting the BA2 wave.

No one gives a poo poo because there's WAR.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

HazCat posted:

:allears:

Remember when official sources were saying covid wouldn't mutate fast enough for it to impact mitigation measures?

I remember (because I haven't had covid yet).

In the future only Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

I gave up this week trying to get my son to wear a mask at school. I sent him in with one but with no teachers to enforce it he takes it off and doesn’t put it back on. At least he’s vaxxed.
the vast majority of teachers are maskless too. from my experience, my schools official announcement continued to recommend masks even though every single one of the people responsible for making that announcement were maskless Day 1. it pressured everyone else into ditching their masks fast.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Auras have done well in studies that compared models but I can’t find the one I had in mind at the moment.

Here is a study about how you can just hand N95s to the public and they’re still way better than anything else.

This is why I don't stress too much about if I have some stubble or about not being fit checked. I know I'm probably not wearing my Aura 100% perfectly but I am also not heading in to crowded spaces for hours at a time so I feel pretty decent knowing I'm still much better protected than anyone not wearing an N95. If I had to get on an airplane for a 4 hour flight or something I'd have much stronger concerns about my fit.

Anyone please feel free to quote this post when I get COVID.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Knitting Beetles posted:

The Netherlands had a lockdown in December to deal with Delta and rolled out boosters (Dec/Jan) at the same time. This probably slowed down BA1, we did have lots of cases eventually but mainly among the young who still had to go to school (or they'd go insane!).

With elections coming up pretty much all NPIs are gone since about two weeks. Masking is now only required for public transport, WFH is officially recommended as 50% maximum. The peak of the Delta wave for 60+ is now the baseline as we're starting the BA2 wave.

No one gives a poo poo because there's WAR.

I guess Edwin Starr finally got an answer.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Lacrosse posted:

If that dog got close enough to get brained with a brick I'd be worried it might have rabies, especially if it was aggressive.

I mean might as well CYA because rabies is such a fatal disease, but get more than one dog together and they just act completely lovely. Packs of dogs can be a big problem, we just have good animal control here for the most part and they don't allow packs of dogs to form.

I am pretty surprised that the second dog didn't gently caress off when the first one ditched it though.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Thoguh posted:

This is why I don't stress too much about if I have some stubble or about not being fit checked. I know I'm probably not wearing my Aura 100% perfectly but I am also not heading in to crowded spaces for hours at a time so I feel pretty decent knowing I'm still much better protected than anyone not wearing an N95. If I had to get on an airplane for a 4 hour flight or something I'd have much stronger concerns about my fit.

lol yeah i’m hosed

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

crowded spaces of maskless children with nothing but an n95, 40 hrs a week

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gio posted:

crowded spaces of maskless children with nothing but an n95, 40 hrs a week

According to many megaphone holders, you are living the dream. Shiny teeth as far as the eye can see o7

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:iiam:

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia/philadelphia-vaccination-rate-children-covid-adults-20220309.html posted:

Philly health department admits the city is far less vaccinated against COVID-19 than it has been saying
It remains unclear how the city's errors in vaccination rates happened.
(..)
Bettigole and her top deputies knew the publicly available vaccination rates were incorrect by Feb. 16, spokesperson James Garrow said. Yet they dropped the city’s indoor mask requirement last week before the rates were corrected. Vaccination rates, though, didn’t play a role in changing the rules, Garrow said.

“The reason we didn’t consider it was, as we said throughout the pandemic, the vaccine rate, we don’t have a goal percentage to get to,” he said. “From our perspective, the vaccine rates have nothing to do with our mandates because ... we want the mandates to be predicated on what’s actually happening to the virus on the ground.”
(..)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thoguh posted:

Biden’s tentacles are going to get you through your kid and there’s precious little you can do about it.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
A lot of people are finally going to learn firsthand why it was a bad idea to bring a child into The hosed Nightmare

bashosanchez
Feb 19, 2008
Lmao

https://twitter.com/scotgov/status/1501587452678574085?t=2WANTkIgU82tRKU_ZucqLw&s=19

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I've said it before but my heart goes out to all of you parents and teachers dealing with this hell. Worrying about my family and friends going full Open Biden is one thing, it's another when it's your own children or students having to choose between getting bullied by the maskless hordes or diabetes/long-term disability.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have my “keep your distance symbol” right here.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Captain Magic posted:

I picked up what you were putting down without the edit but I thank you.

lol this is gonna be a tough loving ask to just tell them not to come see their grandbaby. I’ll probably email them first so I don’t immediately start yelling about rape-palace capitalism (though that does make them want to stop talking to me so idk)

If my recent experience trying to set guidelines for a pregnancy visit is any indication, calling is better than email because on an email they are able to project all their weird fantasies and biases on it and they might spiral without you realizing it.

For example, my parents got really, really worked up about my ask that they do a PCR test and insisted they wouldn't be able to visit now until my kid was 3. It was much easier over the phone to challenge that by saying, "Spitting in a tube is the red line for you that would make you not see your grandkid?" Telling them not to come might be an unavoidable spiral though.

I was going to say a middle finger is my #BeDistanceAware symbol, but lol that might as well be a bullseye so people can harass you or attack you.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

keeping people from dying of an airborne disease - extremely divisive

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

keeping people from dying of an airborne disease - extremely divisive

It’s divisive, in that it may divide American oligarchs from their rightful gains.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kissinger will grow stronger soon

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Biden’s tentacles are going to get you through your kid and there’s precious little you can do about it.

Yeah, it’s that too. Unless we can find a new daycare soon she’s catching it and all we can do is vainly hope it won’t be until after vaccines are available for her and she’s had her shots.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

This does nothing my ffr doesn't do better.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
In Vermont, we're somehow learning that....COVID isn't actually over?

quote:

https://www.wcax.com/2022/03/09/how-students-are-dealing-with-middlebury-colleges-biggest-covid-outbreak/
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. (WCAX) - Middlebury College is still in the throes of its biggest COVID outbreak to date, with 135 active cases. Compare that to 195 new cases announced in the entire state of Vermont on Wednesday.

When you look at positivity rates, the school’s is more than twice that of the state.

Our Melissa Cooney went to Middlebury to talk with students and the college about life on campus during this uptick in cases.

Navigating pandemic guidelines is second nature for college students.

“Our daily routines went on, we got tested, went to class, people quarantined,” said Brendan Maykeo, a Middlebury student.

But, like everywhere else, people are still getting sick.

“I honestly didn’t expect it to get this bad on campus,” student Sade Awodesu said.

Some 99% of the student body is vaccinated. The staff is 98% vaccinated.

The college PCR tests students weekly and antigen tests have been distributed during this surge, where the school has seen its highest case count since the start of the pandemic.

It’s important to note most students report very mild symptoms or none at all.

“What we’re really trying to focus on also is the severity of symptoms. That is really a more accurate and more relevant data point,” said Smita Ruzicka, the vice president of student affairs at Middlebury College.

The college says it is approaching a place where they can steer pandemic management into an endemic phase thanks to high vaccination rates and thorough protocols.

“It’s slowly shifting the mindset from sort of, again, a top-down restrictive, prescriptive set of policies to really a shift of thinking about personal responsibility, community responsibility and a shared sort of working toward, you know, sort of living with COVID. But we talk about it doesn’t mean that we let our guards down,” Ruzicka said.

The indoor mask mandate is still in place on campus but it’s not clear for how long.

“I’m just hoping that after this spike, the school will drop the mask mandate. I don’t think it’s needed any more,” said Brendan Maykeo, a Middlebury student.

“It’s difficult because everywhere else is lifting restrictions, but I also think we need to be sensitive and take care of our most vulnerable,” student Lauren Garcia Still said.

Ruzicka says the school takes a look at masking policies every day.

“Think we’re going to continue to assess that and continue to think about what are the benefits of continuing with an indoor mass policy. What are really, quite frankly, also the challenges of continuing that when the state is moving away,” Ruzicka said.
I feel pretty stupid.

In watching the daily state dashboard with our county (#7 in population) being at the top of cases for the past week, it didn't occur to me that of course Middlebury College would be a prime culprit for outbreaks.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Cheesus posted:

In Vermont, we're somehow learning that....COVID isn't actually over?

I feel pretty stupid.

In watching the daily state dashboard with our county (#7 in population) being at the top of cases for the past week, it didn't occur to me that of course Middlebury College would be a prime culprit for outbreaks.

Tbf - to you - while schools are always driving the spread, it is seldom recorded.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Tbf - to you - while schools are always driving the spread, it is seldom recorded.

“Schools aren’t driving spread. There are hardly any records of transmission within schools.”

MEANWHILE, “We don’t need to contact trace within schools. There’s hardly any transmission there.”

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Loucks posted:

Sure, it definitely wasnt a suggestion. Doesn’t sound like you actually needed one.

No worries :)

I said it more to reaffirm my thoughts that it's a good thing I don't own a deadly weapon. I'd love to go hunting again, meat is expensive. I'm a good gun owner by not owning one, isn't that what personal responsibility is all about or sumshit?

Look at this flower

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I thought Sotrovimab has already been made obsolete by BA2? This sounds like the local cases rediscovering the same escape mutations that BA2 already did. The Eli Lilly mabs is the new one to beat.

edit: actually it's interesting how they can observe resistance re-evolve multiple times in different patients. I don't know the development process for mAbs, but this feels like an issue that could have been identified in the lab through some sort of serial passage study. Probably would interfere with making money though.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 10, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facetoucher cat posted:

Look at this flower

That is a nepenthes pitcher. It’s carnivorous. They get flower stalks like these:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Nocturtle posted:

I thought Sotrovimab has already been made obsolete by BA2? This sounds like the local cases rediscovering the same escape mutations that BA2 already did. The Eli Lilly mabs is the new one to beat.

edit: actually it's interesting how they can observe resistance re-evolve multiple times in different patients. I don't know the development process for mAbs, but this feels like an issue that could have been identified in the lab through some sort of serial passage study. Probably would interfere with making money though.

The key point is 4% developed a resistant strain, which makes the pump'n'dump mAbs strategy (of Florida fame) actively insane.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

facetoucher cat posted:

I said it more to reaffirm my thoughts that it's a good thing I don't own a deadly weapon. I'd love to go hunting again, meat is expensive. I'm a good gun owner by not owning one, isn't that what personal responsibility is all about or sumshit?

Apparently my mom got bit by a wandering dog when she was pregnant with me, so my dad bought a slingshot for an anti-dog weapon. I'm sure getting hit with a large ball bearing would be a pretty good deterrent.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

facetoucher cat posted:

Look at this flower

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I did a google search for "great things are afoot!" trying to find some book that had a comedy sequence where someone kept saying this

found this instead

:rubby:

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

Shiroc posted:

I've gotten very familiar with the sad silence people react with when I start discussing material reality and break their everything is fine bubbles. I was getting groceries tonight and remembered by favorite Discworld quote:

I can't build the stories anymore and there is only screaming (inside my heart).

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

mystes posted:

Intermittent fasting has been pretty thoroughly shown not to do anything at this point.

I guess alternate day fasting might still do something.

hey it's a nice umbrella while it lasts

It definitely does let you skip eating at work though! :P

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Pingui posted:

The key point is 4% developed a resistant strain, which makes the pump'n'dump mAbs strategy (of Florida fame) actively insane.

That's pretty great. But is it substantively more insane than vaccinating half the public and allowing the virus to spread freely? If there are potential escape mutations that will degrade treatment and vaccine effectiveness it's clear by now that we're going to give the virus every opportunity to find them.

TBH it's useful to see Sotrovimab getting evolved around so quickly, and in this regard I've become a viral accelerationist. The faster the various mAbs treatments fail the faster we find out whether neutralizing antibodies, either from vaccines or mAbs treatments, can ever provide durable symptomatic protection As far as I understand there's no reason to get excited about universal coronavirus vaccine development if researchers can't even identify a set of mAbs that the virus can't evolve around.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Oh boy.

The CDC wastewater map doesnt tell the whole story.

I downloaded the data and its a lot worse than the map

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even if we can synthesize antibodies that the virus is incapable of mutating to evade, the solution space of artificial antibodies is broader than the solution space of antibodies generated by the human body.

It is not a given that a protein exists that can coax the human body to produce the right antibodies.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 360 days!
hyperventilating in my mask at my first day back at the office 👍

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

tenderjerk posted:

big mood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

tenderjerk posted:

Good thing you're surrounded by coworkers now who can lend a sympathetic ear!