Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Looked this up and wasn't disappointed.

Edit: Found it through the developer's comment on this blog post, which I also want to share.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 19, 2022

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Edit: Found it through the developer's comment on this blog post, which I also want to share.

Holy poo poo I used to play this guy’s games all the time. Honeycomb Hotel is a great logic game.

He never really adapted to a post 2002 internet. Or mobile. Or Steam. Or any app stores.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lifg posted:

Holy poo poo I used to play this guy’s games all the time. Honeycomb Hotel is a great logic game.

He never really adapted to a post 2002 internet. Or mobile. Or Steam. Or any app stores.

Nope. I am fascinated at how he's extremely determined to stay firmly in the 90s or earlier with his games. I was playing Willa's Walk the other day and my partner saw me and would not believe that it came out in 2012.

He's still coding though!:

quote:

I've been busy rewriting all of my development tools and the KINT
interpreter itself, all (well, mostly) new design. I've got most of
the code working for all the menus, dialogs, toolbar, Help, etc.,
and will very soon (as a test case for all the new code) start
porting Crocotile to that "code platform." Crocotile is one of 4
remaining games that were written in the original KINT "assembly
language." The new version will be the same basic game, but the
user interface and all the underlying code will be in C (MUCH more
easily modified and maintained). Don't expect much in the way of
changes or enhancements to the game, though.

After that, we'll see. I recently encountered a mobile game that
I quite enjoyed. It shares some similarities with Crocotile, while
being significantly different. I think it would make a great 5th
entry in my 'tile' game series. Time will tell. I'm retired, don't
you know, so I move a little slower... :-)

Best wishes,
Everett

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Reading a "Detective Twins" novel by Sivar Ahlrud, that I don't remember from my childhood so I guess it was my brother's. There's an isolated village of near-mystical beings that the boys visit. No electricity, no children, no mail, and no-one speaks properly if at all. The name of the village is all hosed up too.

Of course they're Finns.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm glad you found it because I hadn't been able to when I looked. What am I looking at here?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm glad you found it because I hadn't been able to when I looked. What am I looking at here?

http://kaser.com/bb.html

quote:

Beckett's Books is a type of jigsaw puzzle, but instead of putting together images, you're primarily putting together pages of text from books. As you put together the pages of the book, you read the book. Many books are included, from Sherlock Holmes to Tarzan to Mark Twain to The Wizard of Oz to Jane Austen to H G Wells... and many more, over 40 books to solve! The number of tiles per puzzle and the number of lines of text per tile is controllable, making the puzzles easier or more difficult, providing dozens to hundreds of puzzles per book. Puzzle solving becomes a type of "slow reading" as you piece together the words and lines of text. All books included are in English, but books in other languages are supported and may be added to the game. See below for additional books you can add to the game, and read the Help screens in the game to find out how you can add your own books to the game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Can anyone recommend some good book about the Hays Code? Also can anyone recommend some good books about movies under nazi Germany?

Those are for separate things. I realize now that putting both those questions together looks like I'm aiming for some kind of hack comparison. But I swear it's for two different things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else pick up Devil House by John Darnielle? It's real loving good man.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Anyone else pick up Devil House by John Darnielle? It's real loving good man.

I started it tonight, so far it's good.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is there a letterboxd for books? I'd like some way to make a to-read list that's not just an amazon wishlist or a word document.

Also is there any way to get audiobooks ala carte without an Audible subscription?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Like goodreads or something?

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Also is there any way to get audiobooks ala carte without an Audible subscription?

There are many other audiobook estores (e.g. Google Books, Kobo) but they generally charge a lot more than Audible and are lacking many titles because of exclusivity deals.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If there's a Half Price Books near you they usually have a pretty big audiobook section.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

i think im the only person on the forums who is interested in jack reacher books and also the series that i guess is debuting this week? is there somewhere im missing where people talk about these awesome books

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Hoopla and Libby will probably have 80% of the audiobooks you're interested in, depending on your library system. You'll need a library card, but that's it.

Hoopla has a desktop website you can use to manage your library and look things up.

Libby is a part of Overdrive, but it's strictly app-based, so you have to manage that with your phone or tablet.

Audible manages to get a lot of exclusive deals with authors, so there's gonna be things you'll miss out on. I usually check Audible first to make sure the book isn't exclusive to them, but then I hunt them down on Hoopla or Libby. I like Libby's interface and bookmarking system more than Hoopla, but I've noticed Hoopla has the better library.

Both also offer ebooks, and Hoopla also has comics, films and music.

Gaius Marius posted:

Like goodreads or something?

If you don't want to use GoodReads, I've found StoryGraph to be a nice alternative.

I prefer how StoryGraph lets you rate and review books. The stats and "mood" graphs are nice too. The biggest issue it has is that the library itself is a mess. GoodReads is really easy to add a book to your library and mark what edition you have. StoryGraph is a pain in the rear end to try and find your edition. Most of them aren't in the system. It's also marked by ISBN. If a book's edition is tied to that ISBN, you just won't be able to log your edition. They have a manual system where you can add your edition to the list of editions, but it's time consuming, it gets messy when you try and find the right publishers, you have to have a picture of the book's cover as an image file on your computer, and you may go through all of this carefully, hit the save button, and find that the ISBN is tied to another edition, and it will bounce you back with all of your work gone.

It has a smaller user base, there's less of a social media aspect to it, so reviews tend to be better and there's less "book culture" clutter.

Neither of them have a good list function. GoodReads Listopia is permanently open to edit by any user on the page. So if you're trying to make a personal list, some jackass can come in and add Twilight and Harry Potter to it. It's also limited to 100 books per user, per list. Incredibly limiting. Storygraph doesn't have a list function that I can find.

I've tried to make a list of book recommendations that I get from a podcast I like, and I'm stuck using GoodReads's Listopia because that's the lesser of two shits.

Anyway, I'm now stuck using both GoodReads and StoryGraph because both have aspects I like, but neither are really good on their own terms for what I want out a book logging website.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 1, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

buffalo all day posted:

i think im the only person on the forums who is interested in jack reacher books and also the series that i guess is debuting this week? is there somewhere im missing where people talk about these awesome books

I just read like fifteen of the books . . .last week? Week before?

Definitely in the "I've read a lot of much dumber stuff" category. TV show might be good. Someone was talking about it recently on the forum somewhere or I wouldn't have read them.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I just read like fifteen of the books . . .last week? Week before?

Definitely in the "I've read a lot of much dumber stuff" category. TV show might be good. Someone was talking about it recently on the forum somewhere or I wouldn't have read them.

i think they're kind of brilliant. my appreciation especialyl skyrocketed when his brother wrote the last one and it was so clear how bad they could be if they weren't done just right.

janet maslin has/had this deep crush on the series so the nytimes of all places has glowing reviews on most of the books and each one is like "you aren't gonna believe this, but..."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

buffalo all day posted:

i think they're kind of brilliant. my appreciation especialyl skyrocketed when his brother wrote the last one and it was so clear how bad they could be if they weren't done just right.

janet maslin has/had this deep crush on the series so the nytimes of all places has glowing reviews on most of the books and each one is like "you aren't gonna believe this, but..."

I feel like some of them were genuinely well-executed, especially the first, and most every book had a few good scenes or moments. Later on though there started to be a lot of contrivance in the plots and Reacher and villains all tying their arms behind their backs for a hundred pages or so to make things interesting.

They reminded me a lot of the Parker novels by Richard Stark.

quote:

A ruthless career criminal, Parker has almost no traditional redeeming qualities, aside from efficiency and professionalism. Parker is callous, meticulous, and perfectly willing to commit murder if he deems it necessary. He does, however, live by one ethical principle: he will not double-cross another professional criminal with whom he is working, unless they try to double-cross him. Should that happen, Parker will unhesitatingly undertake to exact a thorough and brutal revenge.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Started reading Jean Giono's Le Chant du monde, and I'm wondering how many people stopped reading before the story even started because of all the NATURE in the first chapter.

(I like nature but my experience of it is apparently so far removed from any author's that I've never enjoyed reading about it and absolutely loathed it whenever a writer waxes poetic on the subject.)

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is there a Kindle thread around here? Holy hell I'm batting my head against something dumb.

We have 3 readers in our family myself and my wife and our 9 year old, we had only two kindles, two paperwhites. My son just used my account on his iPad to read books from my collection. (Animorphs, Goosebumps etc), it was kind of annoying because his progress synced to my stuff, and my stuff synced to his iPad etc.

So my wife for my birthday bought me a new Kindle, and we decided to give the 9 year old my old one so he has his own. He was very excited. I found that you can create a kids account in your Amazon Household so I did and got the Kindle setup for him, but when I went to add books from my library to his, I can't add any sideloaded ebooks. I get it, Amazon can't guarantee what you are sending your kids Kindle etc etc.

But I'm trying to figure out a way to have it so he has his own account and we can share our books with him, Amazon books and sideloaded stuff and I just cannot for the life of me think of a good way to do this... Any ideas?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is there a Kindle thread around here? Holy hell I'm batting my head against something dumb.

We have 3 readers in our family myself and my wife and our 9 year old, we had only two kindles, two paperwhites. My son just used my account on his iPad to read books from my collection. (Animorphs, Goosebumps etc), it was kind of annoying because his progress synced to my stuff, and my stuff synced to his iPad etc.

So my wife for my birthday bought me a new Kindle, and we decided to give the 9 year old my old one so he has his own. He was very excited. I found that you can create a kids account in your Amazon Household so I did and got the Kindle setup for him, but when I went to add books from my library to his, I can't add any sideloaded ebooks. I get it, Amazon can't guarantee what you are sending your kids Kindle etc etc.

But I'm trying to figure out a way to have it so he has his own account and we can share our books with him, Amazon books and sideloaded stuff and I just cannot for the life of me think of a good way to do this... Any ideas?

There is an ereader thread, in IYG: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366619

But to try to help: when you say it won't let you side load, does that mean even if you plug it in to a computer to move files? Or just no emailing?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Humerus posted:

There is an ereader thread, in IYG: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366619

But to try to help: when you say it won't let you side load, does that mean even if you plug it in to a computer to move files? Or just no emailing?

So the “kids mode” on a kindle is a sandboxed mode where you have to from the parents account manually add approved books to your child’s library. And it only lists approved Amazon purchased books.

I can manually add books all day long but he can’t use his kids profile he has to stay logged in as me.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

simply pirate all your ebooks and you can avoid this insane rigamarole

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't think you read the posts.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Hoopla and Libby will probably have 80% of the audiobooks you're interested in, depending on your library system. You'll need a library card, but that's it.

Hoopla has a desktop website you can use to manage your library and look things up.

Libby is a part of Overdrive, but it's strictly app-based, so you have to manage that with your phone or tablet.

Audible manages to get a lot of exclusive deals with authors, so there's gonna be things you'll miss out on. I usually check Audible first to make sure the book isn't exclusive to them, but then I hunt them down on Hoopla or Libby. I like Libby's interface and bookmarking system more than Hoopla, but I've noticed Hoopla has the better library.

Both also offer ebooks, and Hoopla also has comics, films and music.

If you don't want to use GoodReads, I've found StoryGraph to be a nice alternative.

I prefer how StoryGraph lets you rate and review books. The stats and "mood" graphs are nice too. The biggest issue it has is that the library itself is a mess. GoodReads is really easy to add a book to your library and mark what edition you have. StoryGraph is a pain in the rear end to try and find your edition. Most of them aren't in the system. It's also marked by ISBN. If a book's edition is tied to that ISBN, you just won't be able to log your edition. They have a manual system where you can add your edition to the list of editions, but it's time consuming, it gets messy when you try and find the right publishers, you have to have a picture of the book's cover as an image file on your computer, and you may go through all of this carefully, hit the save button, and find that the ISBN is tied to another edition, and it will bounce you back with all of your work gone.

It has a smaller user base, there's less of a social media aspect to it, so reviews tend to be better and there's less "book culture" clutter.

Neither of them have a good list function. GoodReads Listopia is permanently open to edit by any user on the page. So if you're trying to make a personal list, some jackass can come in and add Twilight and Harry Potter to it. It's also limited to 100 books per user, per list. Incredibly limiting. Storygraph doesn't have a list function that I can find.

I've tried to make a list of book recommendations that I get from a podcast I like, and I'm stuck using GoodReads's Listopia because that's the lesser of two shits.

Anyway, I'm now stuck using both GoodReads and StoryGraph because both have aspects I like, but neither are really good on their own terms for what I want out a book logging website.

Thanks for all this!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1497030618219229188?s=20&t=u5gvWfe0AGbqVNeb8VPrtg

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
TWO new Cormac McCarthy books this year, and it's been so long since he released a book that the previous thread got archived
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/08/books/cormac-mccarthy-new-novels.html

"In “The Passenger” and “Stella Maris,” he tackles more cerebral subjects: the history of math and physics, the nature of reality and consciousness, whether religion and science can coexist, and the relationship between genius and madness."

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Boco_T posted:

TWO new Cormac McCarthy books this year, and it's been so long since he released a book that the previous thread got archived
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/08/books/cormac-mccarthy-new-novels.html

"In “The Passenger” and “Stella Maris,” he tackles more cerebral subjects: the history of math and physics, the nature of reality and consciousness, whether religion and science can coexist, and the relationship between genius and madness."

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

he delivered a complete draft 8 YEARS ago?! wtf have they been doing?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Book of the Month reading club seems to dying a slow death. Has any thought been put towards having any of the other SA subforums nominate/vote on books for the back half of 2022 (BYOB chooses July, GBS August, FYAD September, Coupons December)? Or if that earlier suggestion is too much coordination and unpaid work, make whoever nominates the winning book of the month also the Idiot King of the month for the Book Barn?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

quantumfoam posted:

Book of the Month reading club seems to dying a slow death. Has any thought been put towards having any of the other SA subforums nominate/vote on books for the back half of 2022 (BYOB chooses July, GBS August, FYAD September, Coupons December)? Or if that earlier suggestion is too much coordination and unpaid work, make whoever nominates the winning book of the month also the Idiot King of the month for the Book Barn?

Move it to a forum where about 100% of posters don't only want to read Harry Potter.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I remember some time ago there was a popular thread here for reading the Bible. Basically was a guide to cut out the fluff and get the meat. Anyone got a link? Not finding it now

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I remember some time ago there was a popular thread here for reading the Bible. Basically was a guide to cut out the fluff and get the meat. Anyone got a link? Not finding it now

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Perry Mason Jar posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916138

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quantumfoam posted:

It's a problem and one I've been locking horns with for a while, but it might just be the slow decline of the forums generally. I try to use twitter and discord to advertise it, and that helps somewhat.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Online bookclubs are hard. I tried running a short story reading club on the trekbbs (way back when it was big and growing) and even that little bit was a struggle.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

i got your "begats" right here buddy

apparently conjunctions lost all its funding from bard and could end up just totally hosed. I used to have a subscription.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It's a problem and one I've been locking horns with for a while, but it might just be the slow decline of the forums generally. I try to use twitter and discord to advertise it, and that helps somewhat.

Based on some issues I’ve had and I’ve seen around, if you could get the BotM out like the last week of the prior month, it’d give folks a chance to find a physical copy or finish their prior books without picking up something new beforehand? I really wanted to read Depeche Mode but I copy doesn’t come in until March 22nd or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I think it's also really tough to find a book that we haven't read and that sparks conversation. Not every month can be about bear-loving as part of Stella getting her groove back, after all.