Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i am curious if this will change war tactics now. its definitely shown that sending in a giant army won't end great if you have no logistics Plus tanks while useful are shown to be just as useless as knight on horseback with the right tech. it also shows that Europe/west is way more united then previously assumed.

~ish.

Tech-wise What this has shown is that 1990s technology (the Javelin) beats 1970's technology (a lot of these russian tanks), especially if the 1970's technology isn't maintained and especially especially if the 1990's technology is used by people who know how to use it and the 1970's technology isn't.

Russia isn't really fielding that much new equipment; a lot of this stuff is loving ancient and even the new stuff it seems the russians don't know how to maintain or use it.

There are new technologies that can counter stuff like Javelins but it doesn't appear the Russians are fielding such or know how to use it when they do field such.

That said people will be writing analyses of this war for the next fifty years (hopefully).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

the popes toes posted:

That captured comms device?

Turns out that the CIK looks like this. CIK is the device that holds the crypto key (crypto ignition)

It might appear familiar to STU3 users and touchers. FYI The STU was a secure phone, phased out now.

Anyway, the CIK is made by the US manufacturer Data Key. So that's how dumb they are. Even the poo poo they are supposed to be good at, counter-intel, they are bad at.

they are bullies, good at going after small groups and dumbass big companies, but now its a whole other level of poo poo.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

~ish.

Tech-wise What this has shown is that 1990s technology (the Javelin) beats 1970's technology (a lot of these russian tanks), especially if the 1970's technology isn't maintained and especially especially if the 1990's technology is used by people who know how to use it and the 1970's technology isn't.

Russia isn't really fielding that much new equipment; a lot of this stuff is loving ancient and even the new stuff it seems the russians don't know how to maintain or use it.

There are new technologies that can counter stuff like Javelins but it doesn't appear the Russians are fielding such or know how to use it when they do field such.

That said people will be writing analyses of this war for the next fifty years (hopefully).

almost certainly. it will be interesting reads. its still loving horrofying though and i am sorta worried putin will try some gas/chemical attack on kharkieve or kyiv or some other city.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

~ish.

Aren't most modern countries moving away from tanks towards some type of faster armored fighting vehicles?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't want to be unnecessarily skeptical, but are the egg crates or cardboard vests substantiated by anything other than those photos? It sorta looks like egg crate shapes, but presumably that could be ceramic with angles designed to deflect fire or something.

Relikt has these plastic boards between the ERA blocks that are kept in the bag to maintain spacing/alignment, so this part of their response is mistaken. The bag looks like this because the ERA blocks have been removed.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I honestly think this is going to be remembered as the high-water mark of the Russian invasion because I don't see them getting their poo poo sorted out soon enough. Maybe if a general who actually knew what he was doing was appointed supreme commander of the invasion force today he could reorganize, get the various pieces of this thing talking to each other and start getting the logistics wreck sorted out, but that could take years. Meanwhile the Russian economy ceases to be anything more than a theoretical concept about a month from now.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

TulliusCicero posted:

...I actually hadn't heard that one

God drat how many GOP party members are romantically involved with Russians?

tbf it's commendable when someone is that loyal to their country that they're willing to gently caress one or more of the odious toads that make up the conservative landscape

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The Russian ministry of Defense unlocked their Twitter account so now we can see the whole video showing their extremely real logistical support in Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/Andrew_S_Bowen/status/1502108220726427679?t=V1G04Uc5vA3y1VkquhxfAw&s=19
I've never been in the military, but ceramic plates used for presentation and flowers on tables don't seem very...practical

Also zero mud. Anywhere. I dunno guys this might be fake

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

the popes toes posted:

That captured comms device?

Turns out that the CIK looks like this. CIK is the device that holds the crypto key (crypto ignition)

It might appear familiar to STU3 users and touchers. FYI The STU was a secure phone, phased out now.

Anyway, the CIK is made by the US manufacturer Data Key. So that's how dumb they are. Even the poo poo they are supposed to be good at, counter-intel, they are bad at.

e: https://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/ru/m427/

Remember that "NATO Laptop" the Russians found that looked like a child who thought NATO was Rad and had that sticker on it? :allears:

That's the level of incompetence we are dealing with

It's amaxing watching chuds utterly fall apart at conducting war, the thing they constantly masturbate over

^In regard to the supply clownvoy: someone geolocated it to be filmed across the Russian border in relative safety

So yesh, fake

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 11, 2022

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sax Mortar posted:

My favorite woke ideology is "we should be allowed to exist"

look, everyone* knows LGBT people are a Western plot
*idiots

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1501535801469030415

new fun updates. we already new this but seems the russians are just crimping folks into army.

alchevsk is in ukraine, so this is a conscripted luhansk guy. not a russian soldier.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://twitter.com/TsybulskaLiubov/status/1501862686396661764?s=20&t=v-UACQug6UeAepSAuJH5Vw

This is hilarious

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Is this real, though? Seemed like Hollywood-style STDH to me.

Plus, who's going to be able to process those transactions right now?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Concerned Citizen posted:

alchevsk is in ukraine, so this is a conscripted luhansk guy. not a russian soldier.

It could just as easily be bullshit. I'm a POW and captured ? "Yeah man they just grabbed me I didn't even want to be here at all" is exactly what I'd say, true or not.

I mean maybe it's true but maybe not also.

Also probably just someone google searching "apartment + crimea" and posting the map, there's nothing actually proving those are FSB owned etc.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Grape posted:

Contrarian poisoning rather than irony poisoning.
Russian misinfo propaganda has heavily appealed to that sort of psychology over the years (aimed at both the left and right naturally).

I'm starting to think engagement was a really bad idea. We told ourselves trading with and investing in these plutocratic dictatorships (China and Russia) would cause liberal democracy to rub off on them. The problem is we sent / are sending amoral capitalists in to do business without any oversight or regulation. Then they use the fire hose of wealth we're aiming at them to turn around and fund disinfo campaigns, fracture alliances, weaken democracy, support far right movements (and in some cases straight up own far right politicians, lol Trump), and point at all of this and tell leftists 'look at how terrible the west is!'

It basically worked, if their army wasn't in such an incredible state of disrepair they'd have pulled this invasion off and gotten a pass from both the left and the right in western politics & media.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

The Russian ministry of Defense unlocked their Twitter account so now we can see the whole video showing their extremely real logistical support in Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/Andrew_S_Bowen/status/1502108220726427679?t=V1G04Uc5vA3y1VkquhxfAw&s=19
I've never been in the military, but ceramic plates used for presentation and flowers on tables don't seem very...practical

Ah, this is good. Next time I see a Ukrainian tractor pulling a battlefield bread maker, I'll know what I'm looking at.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

It could just as easily be bullshit. I'm a POW and captured ? "Yeah man they just grabbed me I didn't even want to be here at all" is exactly what I'd say, true or not.

I mean maybe it's true but maybe not also.

In any case Ukraine should stop parading POWs and no one should put any stock in the statements made by POWs.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i am curious if this will change war tactics now. its definitely shown that sending in a giant army won't end great if you have no logistics Plus tanks while useful are shown to be just as useless as knight on horseback with the right tech. it also shows that Europe/west is way more united then previously assumed.

As far as the last point, Putin showed that as long as there was some population of Russians in a former soviet country he could send in little green men to shave off chunks at will and Europe wouldn't do anything to stop him. This time he decided to be so flagrant that there was no way to make excuses for it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Eric Cantonese posted:

Seems like fresh listings within the last couple of days. I don't believe these are fsb, but people in Crimea are definitely don't feel confident about staying. And I imagine people living in captured real estate are the most nervous about things

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Xerxes17 posted:

Relikt has these plastic boards between the ERA blocks that are kept in the bag to maintain spacing/alignment, so this part of their response is mistaken. The bag looks like this because the ERA blocks have been removed.

Thanks! They definitely look deflated but it's not like there's a bunch of reactive armor unboxing videos out there so I didn't know what they're supposed to look like.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also if the war continues what the hell is the moral of the Russian troops going to be like. It's already at the point where they're leaving million dollar equipment at the side of the road and deserting in at least small, possibly larger numbers. A solution to moral problems would be to offer them more money, but what money, the russian economies collapsing?

Also there's the issue they're losing a lot of equipment and with the sanctions it may not even be possible for them to build more, as by many accounts a lot of there expensive stuff needs overseas parts.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's not really Russia as a whole that needs to face facts, it's Putin.

I appreciate the other response to my question, but this pedantry is pointless. It's quite common jargon to refer to states by the name of the country they govern.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
From the president of Lithuania:
https://twitter.com/GitanasNauseda/status/1502103582337871874

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

The author of the tweet followed up with this:

https://twitter.com/TsybulskaLiubov/status/1501881466631897089

Her bio says: Liubov Tsybulska
@TsybulskaLiubov
hybrid warfare expert. Founder of @StratcomCentre
Former head of @HWAG_ucmc, an advisor to @MFA_Ukraine, @GeneralStaffUA

So it may be just propaganda, but she may be in a position to be telling the truth.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Huge if true. Wonder how Putin reacts to this news.

E;FB: Well it's still a big deal.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Terebus posted:

I'm not a football fan, but is this what they mean by "own goal"?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

fatherboxx posted:

This guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Ilyin

Reading 20-30s protofascist idiots is bad for you but good for understanding the imperial smoothbrain forged in ressentiment

Thanks for the recommendation, I enjoy damaging my brain by reading cranks.

Silent Movie
Jul 23, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Also if the war continues what the hell is the moral of the Russian troops going to be like.
I think the moral is, 'if you are not well informed in your job, you might miss a great opportunity.'

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

dr_rat posted:

lol how many decades would it take to do a full investigation into all the shady poo poo Deutsche Bank gets up. Just looking at the controversies section of their wiki and it's basically a list of every international banking scandal in the last decade and a half.

At a certain point the government should be able to just go, look to high a percentage of your income is straight up just money laundering criminals and crooked regimes, we're just going to nationalize you and put some people in charge who won't put up with that poo poo. UK should do that as well. They won't because large stacks of money, but like

Also it's hilarious that when you read through the controversies, when ever they get caught, the fines are always, always, less then the money they are expected to of made from whatever dodgy poo poo they were doing. Like how is that even a disincentive.

:capitalism:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

gay picnic defence posted:

The obvious offramp is Ukraine offering to hold a referendum on recognising Crimea as part of Russia or something.

Russia is incapable of holding an honest referendum anywhere. You either give up all claim on it and give it to Russia or Russia loses it in a Ukrainian counter offensive in a month or three.

You might as well ask Russia to hold a referendum in the donbass.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Terebus posted:

Putin is going to want take-backs and do-evers but Ze was the first to say no erasies so Putin is checkmated.

In other words, he invaded to prevent the thing he caused by invading

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TipTow posted:

I appreciate the other response to my question, but this pedantry is pointless. It's quite common jargon to refer to states by the name of the country they govern.

It's not pedantry though, it's a pretty drat crucial fact about this war.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

the popes toes posted:

Putin is going to want take-backs and do-evers but Ze was the first to say no erasies so Putin is checkmated.

In other words, he invaded to prevent the thing he caused by invading

...the thing that wasn't going to happen for a really long time, if ever.

But also I think 'legitimate security concerns' about western alliances was a crock of poo poo justification for what he really wanted, which was imperialist revanchism.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

This is what the actual document says

quote:

we will further strengthen our bonds and deepen our partnership to support Ukraine in pursuing its European path. Ukraine belongs to our European family

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/...ine-10-03-2022/

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this. I saw this on Reddit. Apparently some kind of plane fell from the sky in Croatia with Cyrillic writing on it and parachutes were also seen? I wish I could find another source besides this:
https://dnevnik.hr/vijesti/hrvatska/zagrepcane-prepao-prasak-vatrogasci-i-policija-na-terenu---699451.html
"In Zagreb, part of the plane hit the ground, with a red star and signs in Russian Cyrillic on it: Military police arrived, dispersed journalists and threatened to arrest them"

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's not pedantry though, it's a pretty drat crucial fact about this war.
You understand that it's not just Putin's personal war, right? Most Russians are in favor of it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Omon Ra posted:

You understand that it's not just Putin's personal war, right? Most Russians are in favor of it.

I am in favor of a lot of things I have absolutely no say in or control over.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

KitConstantine posted:

This video is four years old

https://youtu.be/Xc1DPTZ_cWk

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this. I saw this on Reddit. Apparently some kind of plane fell from the sky in Croatia with Cyrillic writing on it and parachutes were also seen? I wish I could find another source besides this:
https://dnevnik.hr/vijesti/hrvatska/zagrepcane-prepao-prasak-vatrogasci-i-policija-na-terenu---699451.html
"In Zagreb, part of the plane hit the ground, with a red star and signs in Russian Cyrillic on it: Military police arrived, dispersed journalists and threatened to arrest them"

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44697/ukrainian-tu-141-strizh-missile-like-drone-appears-to-have-crashed-in-croatia

Apparently it's a Tu-141 drone that went out of control in Ukraine and just flew west until it ran out of fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

quote:

4. The European Council acknowledged the European aspirations and the European choice of Ukraine, as stated in the Association Agreement. On 28 February 2022, exercising the right of Ukraine to choose its own destiny, the President of Ukraine submitted the application of Ukraine to become a member of the European Union. The Council has acted swiftly and invited the Commission to submit its opinion on this application in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Treaties. Pending this and without delay, we will further strengthen our bonds and deepen our partnership to support Ukraine in pursuing its European path. Ukraine belongs to our European family.

5. The Council has invited the Commission to submit its opinions on the applications of the Republic of Moldova and Georgia.

Georgia and Moldova too.