Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Luffy definitely died there, but he died without a smile on his face, like every other D has, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The strawhat might be a component as well. I personally think that the devil fruit is the only thing that has nothing to do with the return of Joy Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

it's funny to think that CP0 probably caused what they were trying to prevent in the first place.

Man they're definitely getting fired for this blunder.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

derra posted:

If he actually died, I can't imagine that he would have died without a smile on his face.

Luckily he only died for a moment. It's meeting death with a smile on your face, not necessarily dying with a smile on your face when you don't expect to suddenly die.

Electric Phantasm posted:

it's funny to think that CP0 probably caused what they were trying to prevent in the first place.

Man they're definitely getting fired for this blunder.

oh no! my life insurance!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what a time to be alive

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Countblanc posted:

what a time to be alive

Unlike Luffy

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

He got better.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
This Joyboy real world connection is looking more and more intriguing now: https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/oi5anw/theory_the_inspiration_for_joyboy/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wouldn't be the first time honestly, he’ll get better

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
luffy died with a DON!

e: wait, has nobody picked up on that? lol

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 11, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fecha posted:

This Joyboy real world connection is looking more and more intriguing now: https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/oi5anw/theory_the_inspiration_for_joyboy/

there is this real world connection too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayabaya

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Luffy is going to be the Pirate King

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Jose posted:

I highly recommend rereading chapter 576 btw

what makes you say this my friend

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

what makes you say this my friend

its one of the fun chapters hinting at luffy being joyboy without using that actual name as we hadn't heard it yet

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Brandfarlig posted:

I thought the same thing but I don't know if it works in japanese.
If the wiki is to be believed, the Japanese word used in the song is ドラム (doramu); and from some googling, the usual Japanese term for a drum appears to be 太鼓 (taiko). So if I'm not completely off base here (I know very little about Japanese), it seems plausible that this specific word in the song might have been used because it sounds kind of similar to 'gomu'.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Luffy is going to be the Pirate King

ドーーン!!!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Death as a power up is pretty dumb. Luffy not being a rubber man would be very very dumb. Oda is cool and we shall see, but I hope he comes at this from a different angle.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

All this talk about the Joy Boy. When are we gonna get to the Joy Man.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

The World Inferno posted:

All this talk about the Joy Boy. When are we gonna get to the Joy Man.

you'll have to wait for his joy mitzvah

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

PirateZim posted:

Joyboy barmitzvah - spooky, scary
Boys becoming rubber, rubber becoming drums

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

PirateZim posted:

:xd:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Joy Boy = title not actual name? Luffy sure has shown himself to be an AGGRESSIVELY joyous person over the course of the series. Also maybe related: Those well inherit the "Will of D" always die with smiles on their faces, a peaceful joy in their final moments. Was Joy Boy the first D and therefore the "devil" of the world as far as the Elder Dragons are concerned?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I can't wait to see this whole sequence animated a year from now. I really hope they use the drums from everyone's favourite track Overtaken to represent the drums of liberation (and Luffy's heartbeat).

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
The whole thing with the "meeting death with a smile" could just be that anyone with the 'Will of D' has enough willpower to put up a fight against dying until they are ready to on their terms. That would fit with them never going down, until they know they are satisfied; no regrets. Makes me kinda worried that the final panels of One Piece aren't going to be something similar with Luffy...

But poo poo, what a chapter. So many fantastic details, each page is an absolute treasure to pour over.

This is such a chilling panel, but look at Kaido's face. Dude is -broken-. And then the rage he flies into afterwards. Great way of showing he's still a monstruous dictator in the end.
The panels of the CP0 agents just tipping their hats to each other; that was actually kinda sad. The agent definitely knew his fate was sealed by interfering in the battle.

I am really looking forward to getting more of Kaido's backstory. How he at one point aspired to be "Joy Boy", but ended up becoming everything opposite. No wonder he's always drunk and depressed. And will fit the theme of "Luffy always breaks their dreams, over killing them". He'll lose more than just Wano by the end, he'll see someone else claim the title be once aspired to.

Looks like I'll be eating crow as well for Luffy's fruit; really pointing to now being something other than 'rubber'. It being Joy Boy's originally and the whole 'inherited will' theme of One Piece all fits together.

Great chapter, this is going to be a long two weeks.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Stoked to see what Luffy's bounty is going to shoot up to after all this

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Big speculation post concerning latest spoilers.

So a lot of strong flags that Luffy's devil fruit is awakening. Most reasonable assumption based on symbolism is something Sun related, cause of Nika/Joy Boy, close affiliation to Aces fire fruit, and mirror to Black beard's. I think this works and wouldn't be a bad fit. The one thing that bothers me is how the base-line rubber form doesn't seem to have much connection to the Sun. So I tried to think of some other fruit that could be that poweful but fit more with what Luffy had been doing with his powers. So let me propose an alternative fruit.

What sort of power is so terrifying in the one piece world you need to hide it under a different name? What power has been surprisingly absent despite how obvious inclusion should be? What substance provides fluid like movements, is physically destructive, yet resilient to physical harm, doesn't conduct electricity in its purest form, and emits vapor when heated up? The answer is.......

Water

Vise the Stompy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 11, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Zakutambah posted:

The whole thing with the "meeting death with a smile" could just be that anyone with the 'Will of D' has enough willpower to put up a fight against dying until they are ready to on their terms. That would fit with them never going down, until they know they are satisfied; no regrets. Makes me kinda worried that the final panels of One Piece aren't going to be something similar with Luffy...

I will be cross if One Piece doesn't end with a 10-11 chapter epilogue where we see where the crew ends up 30-40 years later. Similar to how Roger's or now White Beard's crew are all out doing their own thing. Which all cumulates in Luffy doing something (possibly being executed???) to set off the new new age of piracy, and we smash cut to the then inspired 10 year olds. Granted it's for the drama, but there's been a handful of medicines and attacks Luffy's endured that supposedly shave off X years of his life, so you'd expect him to only make it to 40 or so.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Holy poo poo this chapter is hype af

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vise the Stompy posted:

So a lot of strong flags that Luffy's devil fruit is awakening. Most reasonable assumption based on symbolism is something Sun related, cause of Nika/Joy Boy, close affiliation to Aces fire fruit, and mirror to Black beard's. I think this works and wouldn't be a bad fit. The one thing that bothers me is how the base-line rubber form doesn't seem to have much connection to the Sun. So I tried to think of some other fruit that could be that poweful but fit more with what Luffy had been doing with his powers. So let me propose an alternative fruit.

What sort of power is so terrifying in the one piece world you need to hide it under a different name? What substance provides fluid like movements, is physically destructive, yet resilient to physical haerm, doesn't conduct electricity in its purest form, and emits vapor when heated up? The answer is.......

Water

oh holy poo poo drat

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

be luffy, my friend

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

do not, my friends, become addicted to luffy. it will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Vise the Stompy posted:

That works... remarkably well. You could even argue that some of the water/rubber weirdness comes from the fruit interfering with itself. And consider: we just spent a good chunk of this chapter on how they desperately need water to put out the fires.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vise the Stompy posted:

What sort of power is so terrifying in the one piece world you need to hide it under a different name? What substance provides fluid like movements, is physically destructive, yet resilient to physical haerm, doesn't conduct electricity in its purest form, and emits vapor when heated up? The answer is.......

Water

I was thinking Plasma if its the Sun Sun Fruit or related to the Sun God

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Just let it be the rubber fruit I don't want Naruto's ending again.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Kild posted:

I was thinking Plasma if its the Sun Sun Fruit or related to the Sun God

Honestly, I still think Sun is the more likely of the two with everything written in the story around its symbolism and plasma isn't a bad bridge to explain what Luffy was doing till now. I just like the potential curveball of it being water.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
if luffy straight up died, wouldn't he lose his fruit :thunk:

actually I guess enel died and rebooted his heart so maybe not

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wudz posted:

if luffy straight up died, wouldn't he lose his fruit :thunk:

Already have fruits that activate after death. Yohohoho

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

And to think he already awakened all the way back in Alabasta

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Vise the Stompy posted:

What sort of power is so terrifying in the one piece world you need to hide it under a different name? What power has been surprisingly absent despite how obvious inclusion should be? What substance provides fluid like movements, is physically destructive, yet resilient to physical harm, doesn't conduct electricity in its purest form, and emits vapor when heated up? The answer is.......

Water

lmao this reads correctly to me. well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Vise the Stompy posted:

Have you considered... cheese?

One Piece Pizza

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 11, 2022