Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

PederP posted:

This is a perfect example of how insanely out-of-touch the Russian regime is with reality. They consider the EU, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea, etc. 'countries orchestrated by the US'. I think the regime actually believes the US has client-state levels of control over these nations. It's insane and sadly also indicates that any kind of peaceful co-existence with this regime in the aftermath of the war is going to be a massive pain. It does explain why Putin is always so angry - as in his mind the US isn't just a dominant power, but actually controls most of the world. That people like Schröder can ride the corruption rodeo with these guys, well aware what paranoid poo poo they believe in, boggles the mind.
I think it's just an example of them being self-centered. It's how they view the world, so of course others must view the world the same way, right? We in the West love to paint autocrats as "crazy", but they're (mostly) not: they're very rational, they just have a different world-view and set of facts coming through sycophantic filters. Russia really does think of Belorussia and Ukraine and Khazakhstan and other countries as its client states, and subject to its will. So of course the US must feel the same about the UK, Australia, all of Europe, Taiwan, etc. Russian leadership is close-minded.

I do kind of wish Western diplomats would retort a bit more sharply to such provocations, though. "Of course we recognize that convoys carrying military supplies for the Ukrainian armed forces are legitimate targets under the laws of war. In fact, we would encourage Russia to, in the future, target such convoys instead of maternity hospitals."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://mobile.twitter.com/annmarie/status/1502686902419431433

Just lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

gently caress I was really hoping to get a good deal on some Sberbank shares first thing Monday morning, my diamond hands are getting itchy

E: more like Sbermbank amirite cause their market cap just got jizzed up the wall

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The real issue behind the 'we will strike arms shipments' statement is that it highlights the difference between Western and Russian politicians when making these kinds of statements. Every time Biden or Stoltenberg speaks it's to lay out crystal clear lines on what the US/NATO will/will not do (ie. no fighting in Ukraine, defend every inch of NATO soil). Ryabkov says 'arms convoys are legitimate targets' and leaves ambiguous whether he means in Ukraine or in transit to Ukraine. Now obviously Russia isn't going to conduct airstrikes into Poland... but they might. What if they send an Iskander to hit the border point, does that count?

The point is that we make the mistake of providing clarity (to reassure domestic audiences) whereas Russia is quite happy to leave ambiguity over their willingness to escalate open in order to get us to constrain ourselves further.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like this is just Putin assuming the US empire works the same as the USSR did. It's not like he's super far off in terms of actual geopolitical behavior for some states, and certain US politicians clearly also think it's how it works or should work, though it does makes one question what he thought Germany and France were doing not being part of the Iraq War.

It also means he must consider Trump the biggest idiot of all time. Through these Putin-lenses Trump was ceding control of a whole slew of client-states due to being upset about their military spending and general misbehavior. With this mindset Trump must really seem not just dumb, but pathetic and unambitious. This also aligns with how Kremlin initially was said to view Trump (when he started gaining traction - at which point I believe they hadn't really invested into having any influence with him) as a loudmouth idiot. I reckon they felt like they'd won the lottery as events unfolded and he ended up in the White House.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Realistically NATO (US F22's 15K's) are either airborne or seconds from it at any given time, any 4th gen Russian fighter that approaches the Polish border is monitored and crossing will be intercepted asap. Air defense systems will actively fire at anything crossing the Polish border and unless Russia decides to use their next gen missiles (which thus far they seem to have not been willing to do), poo poo isn't hitting it's target. If they do use their next gen missiles, NATO gets a chance to test it's effectiveness and if successful it would be catastrophic for Russia's projection of power.

The laws are irrelevant here (as they generally are in war), it's Russia's inability to actually conduct such an attack.

The only thing that's sort of :question: regarding air defenses is how the Ukrainian drone flew 700+km of NATO territory before dropping to the ground without being intercepted. I guess it'd be more obvious when looking at the border with Russia, rather than the middle of Ukraine, but still.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Russia has an advantage in direct fire artillery but it's not clear they're able to actually *use* all those extra guns due to logistics difficulties.

Also artillery needs to have a target to point at and communications to transmit that target from spotters to the guns.

The Russians do not seem to be doing very well at the communications part, and it’s unclear that Ukraine is giving them a big enough/fixed enough target to shoot at even if they manage to communicate a location. Ukrainian strategy appears to be to avoid Russian points of strength - artillery, in particular.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We’ve seen indirect references to behind-the-lines convoy attacks and such. It’s worth keeping that the largest city Russia currently controls has 290k people in it, and they’re not quite rushing to Gestapo it up.

About that - news from Kherson
https://www.radiosvoboda.org/a/news-kherson-peresliduvannia-zhurnalist/31749866.html

quote:

According to him, Russians have lists of activists who oppose war and occupation, or simply express their pro-Ukrainian position. They are also looking for those who photograph the movement of Russian equipment and pass information to Ukrainian security forces.

" In the last few days, when the SOBR and the Rosguardia were brought to the city, Rosguard representatives began to go from house to house and knock on the doors of activists, former SBU officers, and former servicemen. Journalists are threatened. There is information that one journalist was taken away, but this is unverified information. I was given information several times that they were specifically looking for me and questioning me . For some reason with a photo robot. They went to the entrances to specific floors, knocked out specific doors and overturned certain apartments , "Kostiantyn Ryzhenko told Radio Svoboda.
https://twitter.com/ArmedMaidan/status/1502654665820942336?t=ww97twmuovUOe5Y8oA4qUQ&s=19
Article link: https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-po...al-council.html

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Ukrainian provincial, boorish and naive peasant farmers, led by Western puppet comedian have destroyed and stolen an estimated 5.1 billion dollars of Russian materiel.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Whew watch that can just fly down the road! Not even pretending it's gonna open at all next week
https://twitter.com/JakeCordell/status/1502689396293787653?t=NWzMVz_NJKHmTgc3jZYI2A&s=19

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

KitConstantine posted:

Seems like Russian soldiers' morale may be getting a little shot in the arm. Or leg. Or back.
https://twitter.com/JPaulKirby/status/1502606458667548673?s=20&t=T8GUhlnjsAxPJ4caw7LKsg
original telegram source via https://en.hromadske.ua/ twitter account: https://t.me/SBUkr/3881
Not really sure we should trust literal war crime propaganda confessing to other different war crimes.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah I'm not sure I see the point in posting pow videos as some sort of proof of anything. 1) That they keep making them is a real bad look for them, 2) You obviously can't trust a word of what's being said.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mmkay posted:

The only thing that's sort of :question: regarding air defenses is how the Ukrainian drone flew 700+km of NATO territory before dropping to the ground without being intercepted. I guess it'd be more obvious when looking at the border with Russia, rather than the middle of Ukraine, but still.

I really doubt it didn't get spotted. If they ID'd it they knew it wasn't a threat, and if they couldn't then there was a chance it was a pilot in distress or a defector ir something.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

mmkay posted:

Based on my experiences with the Hungarian military (which is mainly through friends and family who served and currently serve in it) Its equally likely that no-one noticed the flying object or that they DID notice but pretended they did not.

Our minister of foreign affairs announced that we detected and tracked the flying object, but deemed it harmless... so we didn't notify anyone. (This seem to confirm that no-one noticed the thing flying through Hungarian airspace lengthways for about 40 minutes.) He also added we had two more disturbances in our airspace on Friday, but our Gripens were there in minutes and found nothing. He closed the announcement saying that because there is a war just across our borders, our air force has to be level headed and calm about such things and the most important thing for them is to keep Hungarians safe, and avoid being dragged into the war. :shepface:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KitConstantine posted:

Whew watch that can just fly down the road! Not even pretending it's gonna open at all next week
https://twitter.com/JakeCordell/status/1502689396293787653?t=NWzMVz_NJKHmTgc3jZYI2A&s=19
Some of my stonks are down like 20% ytd and we're not even sanctioned :v:

IIRC the russian index was blowing up just like everything else for the past couple of years and recovered quickly from the 2014 "incident" but this time poo poo might be serious. Regardless, I doubt the russian middle class has much investment in the stock market. Which is probably fine, it's the rich fucks who have any say in the policy anyway.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I really doubt it didn't get spotted. If they ID'd it they knew it wasn't a threat, and if they couldn't then there was a chance it was a pilot in distress or a defector ir something.
Should've definitely intercepted, visually identified, and shot it down over an unpopulated area. At least from what I've seen so far, it's a big fuckup.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ynglaur posted:

I do kind of wish Western diplomats would retort a bit more sharply to such provocations, though. "Of course we recognize that convoys carrying military supplies for the Ukrainian armed forces are legitimate targets under the laws of war. In fact, we would encourage Russia to, in the future, target such convoys instead of maternity hospitals."

No halfway-competent diplomat is going to encourage Russia to attack anything. It might seem like a clever zing, but the moment the Russians DO attack a supply convoy, suddenly you're on record as having told them to go right ahead with that, and now you need to do an embarrassing retraction and politely ask them to stop bringing it on.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

the popes toes posted:

Ukrainian provincial, boorish and naive peasant farmers, led by Western puppet comedian have destroyed and stolen an estimated 5.1 billion dollars of Russian materiel.

Yeah those numbers have no bearing on reality. If it's the Ukrainian government releasing those numbers they risk losing credibility with their own forces.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Russia has an incredibly small middle class, between 14% and 30% depending on estimates, and it was hit hard by 2014 (shrinking by ~20%). The Russian government is perfectly happy to keep screwing them over to keep the economic maskirovka going another week.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I mean I think they have to open the stock market at some point, right? I can't really picture what real world effects happen when a market is closed indefinitely.

I just think it's obvious at this point that when that money leaves the country it is never ever ever ever coming back.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cr0y posted:

I mean I think they have to open the stock market at some point, right? I can't really picture what real world effects happen when a market is closed indefinitely.

I just think it's obvious at this point that when that money leaves the country it is never ever ever ever coming back.

They don’t quite have to. They shouldn’t want to do that at some point, though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw this on imgur as russians in Germany protesting against Ukrainian refugees. There's no sound so I don't know, is it legit?

https://i.imgur.com/lOVvASe.mp4
https://imgur.com/gallery/sP3Grj6

I kind of wish there were some here so I could go pick a fight with some vatinks.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

cr0y posted:

What does a stock market ultimately do? It let's you assess the value of privately owned companies and allows those companies to raise money for investment by selling stock shares. Russia can keep the market closed until it needs to do that again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Just saw this on imgur as russians in Germany protesting against Ukrainian refugees. There's no sound so I don't know, is it legit?

Probably. You can get two dozen people to show up to anything. Particularly if you pay (which Russians do all the time).

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

mobby_6kl posted:

https://i.imgur.com/lOVvASe.mp4
https://imgur.com/gallery/sP3Grj6

I kind of wish there were some here so I could go pick a fight with some vatinks.

Given that there are reportedly 3.5 million Russian speakers in Germany, a couple dozen broke-brained boomers out of that number being pro-Putin is not surprising. If they work at the embassy (embassy staff in a country like Germany will be large) they can also be ordered to do this by the Russian gov't.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

If the Russians were capable of interdicting the arms convoys, they would have done it already

Yeah. Interdicting a bunch of goobers tooling down side roads in pickups seems a tough proposition. This guy is so happy, it's like Christmas.
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1502570747159527435?cxt=HHwWloCypcaImtopAAAA

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress I was really hoping to get a good deal on some Sberbank shares first thing Monday morning, my diamond hands are getting itchy

E: more like Sbermbank amirite cause their market cap just got jizzed up the wall

I mean.. really? Bear in mind Russia may at any point state that any ownership of russian companies by non russians is void and simply requisition them. It's why their bonds are junk and why so many companies like BP simply ditched and abandoned their shares in russian companies.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Supply technical.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

They obviously are legitimate military targets, the question is just "so what are you going to do about it?"

https://twitter.com/ExumAM/status/1502650851344715785

Saying you are sending weapons stops them from doing more fake reports like the NATO laptop.
If we didn't, or said nothing, they could slap on a FedEx sticker from Poland on a crate of grenades and shout Shennigans all over their propaganda machines.
It's a 'military operation' not war.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Morrow posted:

What does a stock market ultimately do? It let's you assess the value of privately owned companies and allows those companies to raise money for investment by selling stock shares. Russia can keep the market closed until it needs to do that again.

It also plays an important role in attracting foreign currency and international investments. If you want to buy Russian stocks you need to pay for them in rubles, so you need to buy rubles with some yuan, rupees, pesos, etc. Keeping it closed indefinitely hampers any attempt to attract what little foreign currency they can get from non-exports. However, they might also *want* to avoid international investors (ie China, Middle-East, India, Indonesia) vacuuming up everything. It's better to get the nationalization and confiscation business out of the way before that, since current shareholders are likely mostly western.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not necessarily, there seems to have been a lot of confusion in how various media have translated "casualties," perhaps missing that "Casualties" includes injuries.

Standard ratios for defending troops vs. attacking would estimate 3 to 1 casualty ratio between offense and defense, respectively.

US estimates are currently of between 4-6k *dead* Russian soldiers. So 1.3k dead Ukrainian defenders isn't that far off.

Russia has an advantage in direct fire artillery but it's not clear they're able to actually *use* all those extra guns due to logistics difficulties.

I mean you could be right also :shrug: Fog of war and we don't really have good data. I'm just making the point that the Ukrainian numbers aren't necessarily outside the bounds of the range of possible truths given what we know right now.

CBS News cited an estimate from a U.S. official of 5,000-6,000 Russian and 2,000-4,000 Ukrainian, which actually seems pretty reasonable to me, given what we know (admittedly, not much), typical ratios, etc.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-russia-death-toll-invasion/

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 12, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

At least they stopped doing that bullshit where they only announce the closure for the upcoming day, as if there was any chance that they'd just open it the day after.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

happyhippy posted:

It's a 'military operation' not war.

This is a good point, because this has implications for what exactly makes someone a co-combatant.

In any case it’s a joke of a threat. The Russians still do not have air superiority of Ukraine, and they have been welcome to try to interdict these convoys once they’ve crossed the border since the first day of the conflict—that they haven’t is a testament to their inability to do so; and if they cannot interdict those convoys in Ukraine they sure has hell cannot do it over NATO states.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

More maps just dropped. I think these two go well together for comparison
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1502686874393092097?t=wudUwRpfbI2Nj4wjeSKPTg&s=19
Same story: Russia is making better progress in the east and south, stalls and even reverses in the north, wait and see.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

How much time, roughly will it take for Ukraine to arm and deploy all those new recruits, reservists, and foreign legionnaires?
Is it safe to assume the longer this goes the better entrenched and stronger the Ukrainians get?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I mean it's fairly apparent that the plan was to defend kyiv and the west of ukraine by using the south to stall the Russian advance. If it was a good play, I'm not sure, but it's what's happening.

Some might say defending the entrance from Crimea should of been a priority since that would be a location where there's only a couple of major crossings for vehicles to use and the Russian numbers would of become worthless.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Drone_Fragger posted:

Some might say defending the entrance from Crimea should of been a priority since that would be a location where there's only a couple of major crossings for vehicles to use and the Russian numbers would of become worthless.

There were substantial forces defending there. They got absolutely trashed in the first few days.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

PederP posted:

It also plays an important role in attracting foreign currency and international investments. If you want to buy Russian stocks you need to pay for them in rubles, so you need to buy rubles with some yuan, rupees, pesos, etc. Keeping it closed indefinitely hampers any attempt to attract what little foreign currency they can get from non-exports. However, they might also *want* to avoid international investors (ie China, Middle-East, India, Indonesia) vacuuming up everything. It's better to get the nationalization and confiscation business out of the way before that, since current shareholders are likely mostly western.

How much does the stock market actually invest in the real economy, though? I don't know much about stocks, but my understanding is that only the IPO really sees money going directly to the company in question, and afterwards they'll only see more money if the company sells more of its shares, which comes with its own dangers if it allows someone to become a majority stakeholder. Isn't every other stock activity basically traders buying and selling from each other for arbitrage purposes without the money ever seeing anyone but the stock traders themselves, with the company itself only indirectly affected by the value of the shares they hold going up or down?

Again, I know very little about financing and stocks, just wondering how much the stock market actually helps with foreign investments in the country.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I'm not sure how much this matters in all this, but the south is more prairie/steppe terrain. I'm guessing the ability to be sneaky with the relatively more common tree cover in the north matters quite a bit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Grape posted:

I'm not sure how much this matters in all this, but the south is more prairie/steppe terrain. I'm guessing the ability to be sneaky with the relatively more common tree cover in the north matters quite a bit.

It's also drier, so the mud is not an all-consuming force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

How much time, roughly will it take for Ukraine to arm and deploy all those new recruits, reservists, and foreign legionnaires?
Is it safe to assume the longer this goes the better entrenched and stronger the Ukrainians get?

Recent reservists are probably already in the TDF. Less trained reservists, impossible to know what planned prep vs. wartime prep is. Also hard to know the effects continual air losses will have overall. Right now I'd imagine the goal of that reserve force doesn't go beyond "make occupation impossible and hit convoys".

On the ground reporters on my twitter lists are talking about exceptionally heavy fire in the west;

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1502717987442286600

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 12, 2022