Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Have looked at them. We need to see how they burned (thermite would only stay lit for a couple minutes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I didn't realize we had a base in Erbil still. I thought Trump had pulled us out.

it was apparently a consulate, it may not have even actually hit the consulate itself.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I didn't realize we had a base in Erbil still. I thought Trump had pulled us out.

I think it's more of a militarily enforced green zone for the Consulate there. Which apparently is ablaze. It's going to be very difficult to not respond.

e: Just in from State Dept:
There is no damage or casualties at any U.S. Government facility.

the popes toes fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 13, 2022

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

This is most likely payback because the Israelis just whacked several IRGC guys recently.

Speaking of Israel...
https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1502776404429049857?t=2cqfl7ZzyDA1e3FHLLc9TQ&s=19

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Concerned Citizen posted:

russia has 400k~ contract soldiers, they have more bodies to send. a handful of syrian fighters aren't going to move the needle

OTOH foreign mercs have some qualities of their own, like nobody cares if they get slaughtered and they don't care if they're ordered to murdered a bunch of civilians.

Mostly though it sounds like a psychological tactic, just like bringing in Kadyrovites - it's expected to instill fear. Everybody knows about the war crimes in Syria.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Recall the mayor of Melitopol, Ivan Federov, was kidnapped yesterday and reportedly undergoing torture today. The Russians have appointed a member of the opposition party as mayor of the city, and she's urging collaboration
https://twitter.com/Matt_Murphy15/status/1502777604260118528?s=20&t=8HoYkQHaLJicjor8xGnYyw
Link is to BBC liveblog - relevant portion:

quote:

Russian military reportedly installs new mayor of Melitopol

The Russian military has reportedly installed a new mayor in the occupied city of Melitopol following the alleged abduction of Mayor Ivan Fedorov by Moscow's troops on Friday afternoon.

Galina Danilchenko, formerly a deputy on the city council, appeared on local TV where she declared that her main task was construction of "basic mechanisms under the new reality".

Danilchenko said she was preparing to set up a "committee of people's deputies" to run the city, and urged residents not to take part in "extremist actions".

"Respected deputies, we were elected by the people. Our duty above all is to look after their well-being," she said.

"This committee will be tasked with administrative responsibilities on the territory of Melitopol and the Melitopol region."

The BBC cannot independently verify Danilchenko's appointment, though it has been widely reported in local media.

There's video of her speaking regarding the appointment, haven't seen a full translation
https://twitter.com/shcherbininainn/status/1502719371692683265?s=20&t=8HoYkQHaLJicjor8xGnYyw
Tweet translation

quote:

In Melitopol, the Russians appointed acting Mayor Galina Danilchenko

She immediately appealed to the residents "not to resist the occupiers." And those who disagree with the enthusiasm are already equated with "extremists" and "destabilizing elements."

Put "svaevo man"?
PZDC

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Recall the mayor of Melitopol, Ivan Federov, was kidnapped yesterday and reportedly undergoing torture today. The Russians have appointed a member of the opposition party as mayor of the city, and she's urging collaboration
Tweet translation

Given what we've seen of Ukrainians' fighting spirit recently, I don't think the coming days and weeks are going to go well for people on video collaborating with the occupiers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/Matt_Murphy15/status/1502777604260118528?s=20&t=8HoYkQHaLJicjor8xGnYyw

There's video of her speaking regarding the appointment, haven't seen a full translation
https://twitter.com/shcherbininainn/status/1502719371692683265?s=20&t=8HoYkQHaLJicjor8xGnYyw
Tweet translation

I wonder how this is going to backfire horribly.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

eke out posted:

Given what we've seen of Ukrainians' fighting spirit recently, I don't think the coming days and weeks are going to go well for people on video collaborating with the occupiers.

Yeah there isn't enough money in the world or a cause I could ever believe enough in to convince me that it would be a good idea to take that mayoral position while the outcome of the war is still a question mark.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

KillHour posted:

Yeah... this lady is probably going to get popped by someone. She should have refused.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KillHour posted:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Yureina posted:

Yeah... this lady is probably going to get popped by someone. She should have refused.

I wonder how much of a choice she had, given what the Russians were doing to her predecessor.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Opposition Bloc is the name of the party. It's the smaller piece of Yanukovich's Regions Party after the split from Boiko's Opposition Platform.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tomn posted:

I wonder how much of a choice she had, given what the Russians were doing to her predecessor.

Probably none!

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

mllaneza posted:

During the Democratic Party primary in 2004, during the third debate, John Kerry gave a short answer to a question so he'd have time to add a statement to the effect of "If we have to bomb Iran, I totally support bombing Iran." That was completely unrelated to the original question he'd been asked, as well as anything anybody had previously said. But he felt the need to get that out there. It still baffles me why he felt the need.

Yes, thank you, I've heard saber rattling about Iran for two decades now. It's not happening.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Otoh you will always find a Quisling if you keep looking. Some just need more encouragement than others.

But it also has to be said that sometimes it is necessary to do some form of collaboration for the benefit of locals.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's also unfortunate in that it's very possible the Ukrainians will not be able to take back Kherson: we have yet to see that they can take back territory in a major counter offensive.

That said, based on the experiences of early DLNR leadership or the genuine Crimean defectors, the Russians don't really reward collaborators.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah there isn't enough money in the world or a cause I could ever believe enough in to convince me that it would be a good idea to take that mayoral position while the outcome of the war is still a question mark.

Hell, even if angels descended from the heavens and unfurled a banner saying RUSSIA WILL WIN AND UKRAINE WILL NEVER BE FREE AGAIN it would still be a nightmare. There isn't really going to be a happy ending for collaborators here, and the consequences she'd face if Russia pulls out might actually be better for her than the consequences if Russia sticks around. She's going to have a target on her and the people that don't bother protecting $10m military hardware definitely aren't going to protect the mayor of a small occupied city.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Nenonen posted:

Otoh you will always find a Quisling if you keep looking. Some just need more encouragement than others.

But it also has to be said that sometimes it is necessary to do some form of collaboration for the benefit of locals.

Thats how I would explain myself later if I was forced to collaborate with a gun pointed at me from behind the curtan. "We held out as long as we could, you can see how bad the devastation was. I was just trying to save lives".

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Tomn posted:

It's hosed up... these loving Russians have much to answer for. As for this lady, I guess we don't really know for now whether she is a good person in a bad spot or a quisling that deserves the bullet that is likely to come their way.

gently caress I hate Putin.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

So if you don't count armed civilians, militias, and unincorporated azov forces... number is still too small to believe.

Do you think there are roving bands of nazi bandits or something in Ukraine?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you wake up one morning to find you live in a 'people's republic' you know something bad has happened.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KitConstantine posted:

Tweet translation

yeah, she is probably gonna be dead in a week and it will probably be bad. also protests are gonna get way rougher.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Alchenar posted:

If you wake up one morning to find you live in a 'people's republic' you know something bad has happened.

Its even worse if its a democratic peoples republic

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

snail posted:

China is well aware, based on the lessons of their own history and that of the West, that there are other ways than force to extend your influence. To think otherwise is to ignore the Mongols and their empire, and all the years before and since. It's a sphere of influence far older than Russia, and knowledge and education is thought of very differently.

Taiwan is certainly an ambition but at this point I'd feel comfortable suggesting the leadership is understanding of the nationalism it would run up against and that it'd be messy to get social compliance. Taiwan isn't about the land itself, and Taiwan itself seems well aware.

All sorts of Western notions get applied to China and even Chinese culture as a whole, and many of them are objectively wrong. Spend time in Hong Kong and Macau, and it starts to become quite clear that there's a lot more awareness of the populace and pride than is often granted, and the nudges can be quite subtle. China is objectively good at propaganda internally even as the West sneers at some of the obviousness.

I'm no Sinophile, but I've spent enough time in it's influence that I know my nominal Western values and relatively short history aren't the ones to use when thinking about the country and its ambitions.

Then again I'm an armchair analyst who still has tinted glasses despite having spent a reasonable amount of time in the Sinosphere.

“I’m not a sinophile BUT watch me straight facedly get REAL ORIENTALIST”

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
if you're having to inform the populace that unbeknownst to them they elected a new city council, that's probably not a good start

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Not very smart on the part of Iran tonight. The United States military is not that distracted by Europe; and, in fact, I think American inability to intervene in Ukraine makes it more likely that Iran gets a military response from the US this time around.

I am hoping I am wrong, but if it turns out there were any American casualties I do not think hoping will help the world much.

Edit

The United States will not be invading Iran. Ever.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Concerned Citizen posted:

russia has 400k~ contract soldiers, they have more bodies to send. a handful of syrian fighters aren't going to move the needle

”Having X soldiers” does not equal having X soldiers to Send to ukraine. U.S has I think 16? ABCTs currently active, But still cannot send 16 ABCTs to a war on a moments notice- and this is from their non-reserve, active, ready units, not counting reserves, nat guard etc.

Russia used 3 months to build up for this invasion and got 200k~ in, give or take, emptying many units from farther units, including the arctic troops from Finnish border. They are already seeing huge difficulties in resupplying said not-anymore-200k soldiers.

So no, at the moment russia does not have 500k soldiers anywhere near ukraine, nor means of getting them - or their supplies- there in a fast timeframe either. Remember, we are on day 15. At this rate, If amassing another 200k takes another 2 months, the war is going to look completely different.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Alchenar posted:

To be annexed is a pretty horrible thing, and all of the "beep boop the ukranians are being very irrational, why did they simply not run the math, realize they would not prevail, and lie down and take it" takes you see in some places are dumb as hell both empirically (we observably know people very often don't loving act like that) and pretty abhorrent normatively.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Captain Oblivious posted:

“I’m not a sinophile BUT watch me straight facedly get REAL ORIENTALIST”

Yeah I'm pretty familiar with at least Greeks, and lemme tell ya the culture being ancient as gently caress doesn't actually change the stupid nationalism in any way at all except you just hear way way way more appeals to antiquity being made. Half of which are exaggerated and/or false anyway lol.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ZombieLenin posted:

Not very smart on the part of Iran tonight. The United States military is not that distracted by Europe; and, in fact, I think American inability to intervene in Ukraine makes it more likely that Iran gets a military response from the US this time around.

I am hoping I am wrong, but if it turns out there were any American casualties I do not think hoping will help the world much.

Edit

The United States will not be invading Iran. Ever.

my guess is some hardliner in the iranian goverment ordered some proxy/quds group to fire poo poo off. they did it last year too. we will blow up the proxy force and a bunch of poo poo will happen behind the scene probably involving some hardliner having an accident or some poo poo.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Apparently Russian forces pulled out of Skadovsk - there were two helicopters shot down in that area earlier today.
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1502803862683627521?s=20&t=8HoYkQHaLJicjor8xGnYyw
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1502811819957788675?s=20&t=srPNdcsCvCjU3F3vw2RmdA
The now-completely yellow chunk under Kherson is approximately where Skadovsk is located.

Could be the Russians realized that a counterattack was unlikely from that area and pulled the troops up to Melitopol/Kherson/Mykolaiv where they're more needed. Still, doesn't seem like a great sign when you have to pull back from already occupied areas...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if you're having to inform the populace that unbeknownst to them they elected a new city council, that's probably not a good start

Look I'm sure none of the locals have any reason to be keeping up with local politics at the moment, I mean really how many people can even remember who their local mayor is!

But the bigger question who is this even for? If it's for russian propaganda I mean just lie, if it's for anyone else it's so obviously bullshit no one will care they went to the bother. Like what ever this is, it's going to fail the second russian troops aren't there. It's so pointless. Which obviously goes back to the russians seem to have no real idea what the hell their goals even are.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Funnily the original Ukrainian People's Republic had some nice people associated with it. It also had about 4 months of independence before it got overthrown by a German-backed military dictator.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is most likely payback because the Israelis just whacked several IRGC guys recently.

Speaking of Israel...
https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1502776404429049857?t=2cqfl7ZzyDA1e3FHLLc9TQ&s=19

Browder is wrong here.

There are several private air companies in south Florida owned and operated by heavily connected Russians.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Look I'm sure none of the locals have any reason to be keeping up with local politics at the moment, I mean really how many people can even remember who their local mayor is!

But the bigger question who is this even for? If it's for russian propaganda I mean just lie, if it's for anyone else it's so obviously bullshit no one will care they went to the bother. Like what ever this is, it's going to fail the second russian troops aren't there. It's so pointless. Which obviously goes back to the russians seem to have no real idea what the hell their goals even are.

This population was just marching on the city administration building yesterday protesting their elected mayor getting kidnapped and tortured. I would say they are paying attention to local politics, especially since THERE'S A loving WAR ON
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1502571697085595651?s=20&t=srPNdcsCvCjU3F3vw2RmdA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Air drop weapons to kherson and melitopol god damnit

I don't want to talk local politics I just want to grill Russian tanks and drive tractors

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

KitConstantine posted:

Apparently Russian forces pulled out of Skadovsk - there were two helicopters shot down in that area earlier today.
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1502803862683627521?s=20&t=8HoYkQHaLJicjor8xGnYyw
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1502811819957788675?s=20&t=srPNdcsCvCjU3F3vw2RmdA
The now-completely yellow chunk under Kherson is approximately where Skadovsk is located.

Could be the Russians realized that a counterattack was unlikely from that area and pulled the troops up to Melitopol/Kherson/Mykolaiv where they're more needed. Still, doesn't seem like a great sign when you have to pull back from already occupied areas...

This could be read a variety of ways

They are rumored to not have communications or supplies so those troops could be looking for a larger unit themselves or the pause over the past few days is really organization on that level where troops are being redeployed nationwide by Russia

I'd expect a low amount of accuracy from any of these territorial maps as Russia is being given giant swathes of land if their troops are spotted existing somewhere at least once which is how a relatively large section of the map flips once an single enemy position mysteriously leaves

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 13, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/HN_Schlottman/status/1502710513872089096?s=20&t=9vvy0EnfY3eQAAvkl3fJPg

Note in Assessment box: 31st Air Assault Brigade destroyed. Another BTG down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Grape posted:

Yeah I'm pretty familiar with at least Greeks, and lemme tell ya the culture being ancient as gently caress doesn't actually change the stupid nationalism in any way at all except you just hear way way way more appeals to antiquity being made. Half of which are exaggerated and/or false anyway lol.

What, you don't think that the British Prime Minister is still concerned about the Nordic threat and need to contain the Danelaw?