Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

if this war teaches the baltics anything it's probably going to be that any money they might think about spending on tanks or planes they should spend on Javelins and NLAWs instead.

e: terrible page snipe. Godspeed to the people of Ukraine today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

if this war teaches the baltics anything it's probably going to be that any money they might think about spending on tanks or planes they should spend on Javelins and NLAWs instead.

Also some infantry tactics training might not hurt.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

We have SPIKE launchers in Latvia. Looks like Estonia has them and Javelins, and Lithuania has the same. We don’t seem to have any combat drones though, and should probably get some of those Polish Piorun launchers for hitting low-flying helicopters.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I saw this and thought it rather good evidence that Russia's air isn't doing much of what air usually does, or the Ukrainians aren't fearful of Russian aircraft, or Russia doesn't have counter-battery kit or all three. Or it's staged. This looks to be in the middle of the steppe for chrissake

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1502817752150589445

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

I saw this and thought it rather good evidence that Russia's air isn't doing much of what air usually does, or the Ukrainians aren't fearful of Russian aircraft, or Russia doesn't have counter-battery kit or all three. Or it's staged. This looks to be in the middle of the steppe for chrissake

To be honest, these drive fairly quickly and don’t take any much time to setup or dump their load.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We have SPIKE launchers in Latvia. Looks like Estonia has them and Javelins, and Lithuania has the same. We don’t seem to have any combat drones though, and should probably get some of those Polish Piorun launchers for hitting low-flying helicopters.

while i know it's an acronym i'd prefer to assume they're basically just crossbows

also, two major tech demos in as many years is probably going to make a LOT of money for designers of el cheapo combat drones (most notably Turkey)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3428024-enemy-aircraft-bomb-sviatohirsk-lavra-in-donetsk-region.html
The 500-year-old Sviatohirsk Lavra got shelled this evening, the church avoided a direct hit but most of the windows were broken and nearby monastery buildings destroyed It sheltered over 500 people, no word on number of dead/wounded. It's tucked up into a mountain well away from any military targets, no reason to target it except pure cruelty.

This is (or was) the Sviatohirsk Lavra:

:(

I'm amazed this sort of thing survived WW2, though I assume there was extensive restoration.

Here's hoping they'll survive this war too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

the popes toes posted:

Everything out there is the middle of steppe, this is why you shoot and scoot and why so many of these are on permanently mobile setups.

quote:

he three-member crew can emplace the system and have it ready to fire in three minutes. The crew can fire the rockets from the cab or from a trigger at the end of a 64-meter (210 ft) cable. All 40 rockets can be away in as little as 20 seconds, but can also be fired individually or in small groups in several-second intervals. A PG-1M panoramic telescope with K-1 collimator can be used for sighting. The BM-21 can be packed up and ready to move in two minutes, which can be necessary when engaged by counter-battery fire. Reloading is done manually and takes about 10 minutes.

So you setup in 3-5 minutes, fire it in 20 seconds, then pull up and out in 3-5 minutes and go reload, move somewhere else, do it again.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 13, 2022

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while i know it's an acronym i'd prefer to assume they're basically just crossbows

also, two major tech demos in as many years is probably going to make a LOT of money for designers of el cheapo combat drones (most notably Turkey)

Also probably a lot more money for designers of anti-drone tech at companies like Raytheon

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3428024-enemy-aircraft-bomb-sviatohirsk-lavra-in-donetsk-region.html
The 500-year-old Sviatohirsk Lavra got shelled this evening, the church avoided a direct hit but most of the windows were broken and nearby monastery buildings destroyed It sheltered over 500 people, no word on number of dead/wounded. It's tucked up into a mountain well away from any military targets, no reason to target it except pure cruelty.

That's really pretty. I hope it isn't too hosed up. :(

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

cinci zoo sniper posted:

To be honest, these drive fairly quickly and don’t take any much time to setup or dump their load.

I'm surprised to discover I'm a Grad.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

One of the predictions before the invasion was that Russia would try and destroy key Ukrainian cultural sites in an attempt at demoralizing the population into capitulation.

It’s like Russia thinks that the only reason they aren’t winning is that they aren’t being lovely enough. That if you want to really win a war you’ve got to plaster things with no military value but that really piss people off.

I guess coming from the, “we have to invade you so you don’t arm yourself to prevent us from invading you” people it’s what passes for logic.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Murgos posted:

One of the predictions before the invasion was that Russia would try and destroy key Ukrainian cultural sites in an attempt at demoralizing the population into capitulation.

It’s like Russia thinks that the only reason they aren’t winning is that they aren’t being lovely enough. That if you want to really win a war you’ve got to plaster things with no military value but that really piss people off.

I guess coming from the, “we have to invade you so you don’t arm yourself to prevent us from invading you” people it’s what passes for logic.

I suspect its because they project the belief that everyone else's support is as hollow as their craven sycophant bullies. Their power structures are very fragile and their organizations act more like pyramids of hangers on than anything formal. Formal power is suppressed or co-opted because it threatens the grift.

They think if they weren't a nuclear power their support would similarly fold.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Barrel Cactaur posted:

I suspect its because they project the belief that everyone else's support is as hollow as their craven sycophant bullies. Their power structures are very fragile and their organizations act more like pyramids of hangers on than anything formal. Formal power is suppressed or co-opted because it threatens the grift.

They think if they weren't a nuclear power their support would similarly fold.

I think simpler, is that there were people inside. And that makes it, from their perspective, a military target. People.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

the popes toes posted:

The whole point of self propelled artillery like that is so they can fire their rockets and get the gently caress out of there before counter battery fire hits them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

That's excellent news.

-

The Nazi menace is attempting to establish a logistics base in Chernobyl because it will mean it cannot be attacked.

Which is silly really as the Ukrainians can just Tb2 the trucks before they unload their poo poo

I am surprised Ukraine hasn't done something about the bridges across the Pripyat River. Presumably they're pretty well defended but they look like they'd be pretty important for supplying the forces attacking Kyiv.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Trump posted:

I'm surprised to discover I'm a Grad.

Multiple launch tho?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Im grad

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Multiple launch tho?
I think this is one fire mission, basically

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Deteriorata posted:

Slava Ukraini!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Are the Russians in the middle of a major offensive right now?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Kraftwerk posted:

Are the Russians in the middle of a major offensive right now?

They seem to be consolidating for one which will probably begin sometime this week

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Apparently being against the wagner group makes you pro nazi. Weird how those brainworms work.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

the popes toes posted:

Theyre rocket batteries dude, they fire a hail of rockets and move before they get hit. Thats like the point of mobile rocket artillery

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1502673952572854278

a good thread about the issues with the Russian military. it seems pretty reasonable for the most part.

Wow this whole thing made me feel sorry for the loving Russian army

What the actual gently caress

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

Every time this is posted it makes me happy :unsmith:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
So this upcoming Russian push on Kyiv is pretty much going to be the thing that decides the war, right? If the Russians fail and take huge losses trying to storm Kyiv, it pretty much means that they're never going to take it and are going to just keep taking losses until they totally collapse.

On the other hand, if they somehow do manage to conquer Kyiv in this upcoming assault (tho it seems really really unlikely) it would show that the Russians can indeed take Ukrainian cities if they surround them and blast them to bits for a while first. Luckily from what I've heard Kyiv has been turned into a fortress and it's really, really unlikely that the Russians will be able to successfully seize it. And if they take a lot of losses trying I think that's going to be pretty much the end for them.

Though Putin is apparently still convinced of his ability to dismember Ukraine, since I've read that the Russian military is going ahead and planning a fake referendum in the city of Kherson, in which the citizens of Kherson will mysteriously all decide to vote to secede from Ukraine. But it sounds like they're having trouble getting anyone at all there to participate in the farce.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

Despera posted:

Apparently being against the wagner group makes you pro nazi. Weird how those brainworms work.

Yeah or how popular "leftist" political commentators want to take this time to point out every single negative thing Ukraine has ever done, while failing to inform their audience of people like Ramzan Kadyrov on the Russian side. It's weird how divisionary and reactionary political discussions have become.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

Theyre rocket batteries dude, they fire a hail of rockets and move before they get hit. Thats like the point of mobile rocket artillery

Since many others have told me this, I'm convinced that if, they have to give military IQ tests to see what MOS you might fit, I'll be the IT guy posting agitprop memes.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1502861153638174721

Keeps hitting Lviv apparently. Might be an attempt to hit supplies coming in from Poland

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sucrose posted:

So this upcoming Russian push on Kyiv is pretty much going to be the thing that decides the war, right? If the Russians fail and take huge losses trying to storm Kyiv, it pretty much means that they're never going to take it and are going to just keep taking losses until they totally collapse.

On the other hand, if they somehow do manage to conquer Kyiv in this upcoming assault (tho it seems really really unlikely) it would show that the Russians can indeed take Ukrainian cities if they surround them and blast them to bits for a while first. Luckily from what I've heard Kyiv has been turned into a fortress and it's really, really unlikely that the Russians will be able to successfully seize it. And if they take a lot of losses trying I think that's going to be pretty much the end for them.

Though Putin is apparently still convinced of his ability to dismember Ukraine, since I've read that the Russian military is going ahead and planning a fake referendum in the city of Kherson, in which the citizens of Kherson will mysteriously all decide to vote to secede from Ukraine. But it sounds like they're having trouble getting anyone at all there to participate in the farce.

This seems a very dramatic read of things. Kyiv isn't all of Ukraine, and the Ukraine army has plenty of forces else where. Also taking a city and occupying a city are two very different things. Again there is a lot of fog of war going on, but it's very, very unlike 'one battle will be the decider' or anything like that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Trump posted:

Keeps hitting Lviv apparently.

That's gonna further piss off Poles. Historically, it's an important city to us.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

dr_rat posted:

This seems a very dramatic read of things. Kyiv isn't all of Ukraine, and the Ukraine army has plenty of forces else where. Also taking a city and occupying a city are two very different things. Again there is a lot of fog of war going on, but it's very, very unlike 'one battle will be the decider' or anything like that.

Especially at this point in the war, with the results Ukraine have achieved. If it had happened, as Russia planned, in the first days of the war, the fall of Kyiv would have had a completely different impact.

If the government and military leadership makes it out relatively intact, I can't see the battle becoming anything but a boost for Ukraine, almost no matter the result.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

That's excellent news.

-

The Nazi menace is attempting to establish a logistics base in Chernobyl because it will mean it cannot be attacked.

Which is silly really as the Ukrainians can just Tb2 the trucks before they unload their poo poo

Is there a cost to nuking an isolated space that was already off-limits due to prior russian endevaours?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

downout posted:

Is there a cost to nuking an isolated space that was already off-limits due to prior russian endevaours?

A) This sounds like Clancychat, but B) you do not want to nuke the Chernobyl exclusion zone.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1502673952572854278

a good thread about the issues with the Russian military. it seems pretty reasonable for the most part.

right but the ukrainians have much Nicer fighter aircraft.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

fool of sound posted:

right but the ukrainians have much Nicer fighter aircraft.

Didn't Ukraine claim they had 60 fighters left? Going by those numbers they've lost less than one a day.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

downout posted:

The ukrainians should shoot open the dome to cripple the Russian army with radiation poisoning. Hopefully the wind will rain it over Belarus and Russia and further send the russian state spiraling towards ZPG

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Rinkles posted:

That's gonna further piss off Poles. Historically, it's an important city to us.

I've never been but reading about it during all of this has made me very sad I've never visited. It looks a beautiful and fascinating city :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Rinkles posted:

The Poles seem to have been already pissed. There's room for more pissed than they already are?