Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

We have family #2! Fauna hatched the two leghorn mix chicks and we got her some feed store chicks too. She’s a great mama so far.

https://youtu.be/KD4UBoLzvVU

Rose is still doing a great job too. Today she two-foot kicked one of the guineas who got too close to her chicks, it was impressive! The Guinea actually backed off, which was a surprise.

awww that lil fluffy butt sticking out...so adorable :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Such good chicken moms!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ShootaBoy posted:

Such good chicken moms!

:yeah: :love:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ShootaBoy posted:

Such good chicken moms!

The best (though Rose is more hardcore).

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Wildflower would very much like to become a chicken mom. she went broody on thursday. i wish i could adequately convey how round she is

bonus Darlin':

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 9, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/k8u4AAL.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

In my experience, blue male parakeets are the most comically, cartoonishly horny parrots alive.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

"I do not understand what's going on, but maybe if I just stay very, very still, he'll go away"

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I wanted to post and talk about how our chooks are growing into a nice band and finally being able to roam the yard.

When I went to close them up tonight, I found Fluffle hunkered up in a corner of the coop fence dead as a doornail. No signs of attack, thankfully. In the picture, I believe he's the one in the back you can't see the head on.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Poor chook. Sorry dude, sometimes this poo poo happens. Probably got scared somehow.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Explosionface posted:

I wanted to post and talk about how our chooks are growing into a nice band and finally being able to roam the yard.

When I went to close them up tonight, I found Fluffle hunkered up in a corner of the coop fence dead as a doornail. No signs of attack, thankfully. In the picture, I believe he's the one in the back you can't see the head on.

If you still have the remains you may want to take them to your state vet lab. I think I read that avian influenza is now in every US flyway :(

Sorry about your chicken.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Explosionface posted:

Turns out I misidentified the chicken; it was actually Mama, on the far right. I didn't get the best look in the dark

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Explosionface posted:

Turns out I misidentified the chicken; it was actually Mama, on the far right. I didn't get the best look in the dark

Roost in Peace, Mama.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
We started trying to grow our own mealworms. It's pretty neat.

https://i.imgur.com/tpxWNdB.mp4

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Busy week this week. Nova gets an implant today, tomorrow Bella and Willow both need a check up (Bella gets wheezy with the cold, damp Spring mornings, while Willow is a nine year old hen whose egg system is waking up & making her uncomfortable).

Molly is fine, but put herself to bed early yesterday as she didn't get enough attention.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Imagined posted:

Best part is the chooks will eat the worms and the oats, so just scoop em out and enjoy the show!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Imagined posted:

I hope you post updates as I'm curious how you get on with this

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I used to live on apples and oatmeal when I was broke; how long does it take to turn you into a mealworm?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Imagined posted:

:wow:

I liked the video from the guy who raised the soldier fly larvae and had a little chute for them to fall into the coop automatically.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

wonderful creatures all

roost in peace mama :( i hope it was natural causes. sometimes they just ascend from this earth.

speaking of ascending, i have had no further losses and all is well in the quail house... for now

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I figured out why my chickens love me.

Chickens Prefer Beautiful Humans

:crossarms:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
My partner got this picture of one of Little Man's children from his breeder, very like father like son. 'Master Wu' on the left, Little Man on the right.

in sadder news, my special girl hurt her leg about a week ago. She is alert, eating and drinking normally, still enjoys being held, and can maneuver about in a limited way (and has been maneuvering better as time has passed); but she still wants her right leg out in front of her and doesn't want to put weight on it. Currently we're keeping her movement limited, making sure she is taking in food and water, and hoping to see improvement over the next few weeks. if we don't see improvement we'll take her to the vet, get a firm diagnosis, and look into the options we have to give her a good quality of life with one leg.

She is a very special bird, and has been an absolutely perfect patient through all of the awkward handling and adjusting we've had to do for her

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

BHB posted:

My partner got this picture of one of Little Man's children from his breeder, very like father like son. 'Master Wu' on the left, Little Man on the right.

majesty

quote:

in sadder news, my special girl hurt her leg about a week ago.
:( sending all the best wishes to the injured baby

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

BHB posted:

in sadder news, my special girl hurt her leg about a week ago. She is alert, eating and drinking normally, still enjoys being held, and can maneuver about in a limited way (and has been maneuvering better as time has passed); but she still wants her right leg out in front of her and doesn't want to put weight on it. Currently we're keeping her movement limited, making sure she is taking in food and water, and hoping to see improvement over the next few weeks. if we don't see improvement we'll take her to the vet, get a firm diagnosis, and look into the options we have to give her a good quality of life with one leg.

If a vet visit is possible, it would be better to do it sooner rather than later in case it’s a broken bone that’s healing wrong. I know vets can be :homebrew: though. Good luck to your little hen.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Joburg posted:

If a vet visit is possible, it would be better to do it sooner rather than later in case it’s a broken bone that’s healing wrong. I know vets can be :homebrew: though. Good luck to your little hen.

she was a good girl while my partner gave her as thorough an inspection as a layperson could give and didn't have any irregularities or clearly sensitive areas on the leg itself, but that's also a concern I have. We're hoping that keeping her as still and comfortable as we can will give her the best chance of healing we have available to us.

Thank you for the well wishes though, I think if there's a chicken to come back from something like this it's her.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's weird. There are plenty of people around here who see livestock, but none of them do it on an individual basis. I've never asked my parrot vet to see a chicken.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My vet for the dogs and cats has like 45 years of experience and she sees chickens. She is excellent with everything. I don’t know what I’ll do when she finally hangs it up.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Chicken mamas are still momming it up over here

Rose & her 2 week olds

Fauna & her 1 week olds

Large Marge is broody too. I’ll give her some eggs tomorrow probably.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Large Marge back in action :yayclod:

I love all these beautiful chicken mums and their beautiful babies :love:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You go, Large Marge! :dance:

Some more good motherhood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2z8fXtaKY

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Joburg posted:

Rose & her 2 week olds

Fauna & her 1 week olds
those are some splendid families :h:

quote:

Large Marge is broody too. I’ll give her some eggs tomorrow probably.
excellent news
interspecies adoptions are amazing. i knew chooks and muscovies do it, but i never knew turkeys do it too.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

speaking of ascending, i have had no further losses and all is well in the quail house... for now

lol one of mine today performed the "jump high, hit head" trick

never happened to me before but she extra panicked

down to two :(

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

my cat is norris posted:

So sorry to hear that. :smith:

Our flock update:
Nova has a new implant, but has laid two eggs.
Willow has had a further vet trip and he thinks her egg system is coming online, but as she's an elderly lady (getting towards 9 years old) everything is moving much more slowly. She's been checking out different nests today.
Bella has her spring wheeze / sneezing thing, just like last year. Vet said her belly feels 'busy', like she's ready to start laying, though the implant should mean no eggs. Got her on Baytril twice a day. She had three courses of antibiotics last year (last one being Baytril), but it seemed to clear up more by itself as Summer came in.
Molly is perfectly fine, though not getting all the hugs she deserves.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

spookygonk posted:

Our flock update:
all wonderful news. your retirement village for hens is an oasis of human kindness in a cruel world, i think of it often and smile irl

quote:

Molly is perfectly fine, though not getting all the hugs she deserves.

:kimchi:

my cat is norris posted:

oh gently caress! that's terrible, i'm so sorry. they are like a puff of dandelion seeds that long for the shattering wind

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

If you have a completely enclosed run attached to your coop, do you prefer something at walk-in height or are you okay with something smaller?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've posted about Comet before. I'm starting to wonder if she just has issues. This is how her foot closes.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

my cat is norris posted:

If you have a completely enclosed run attached to your coop, do you prefer something at walk-in height or are you okay with something smaller?

I have a 6’ tall run that is sold as a dog kennel. I have to duck under the door, but it has a sloped roof , so the ceiling gets up to 8’ high or so. It’s nice to not have to crouch when cleaning out the run and coop, which is a moderate amount of work frequently. It’s definitely preferable to have standing room, but not 100% required.

E: mine is like this but much bigger

With ½” hardware cloth J-clipped on and buried

freeedr fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 22, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

Odds are you're going to need to get in there to clean at least a few times a year, so walk in height is definitely the answer.

I ended up building a two-stage coop, the first was a 12x6 enclosure with a 6.5 foot high roof with the chickens' house built 3 feet off the ground and taking up the "back" 4x6 portion of the enclosure. Then the next year I attached a 12x12 run with just a hardware cloth top to the front of that, so I walk through the run to get to the original coop area. I end up raking out the run and putting down new straw every 6 weeks or so (except in winter), so I can't imagine having to do that stooped over.

Edit: Though I have had thoughts about putting a "skirt" around the back of the enclosure to give them a little more room, and I'd make that about 36 inches high with a hinged top so I could get in to clean, but :effort:

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 22, 2022

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

Walk-in height makes a huge difference, both for me and for my ladies who demand increasingly elaborate jungle-gym type things to climb and perch on and fly from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I scoop out the coop every few days and rake the run weekly in addition to the daily feeding , watering, treats, etc. Lots of run time.