Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I, too, now want to kill CHAOS. Finally got to try a demo after missing the first two. Having never played a Soulsborne, I'm digging it so far. The FF skin over everything is doing some heavy lifting I'm sure though. May use this as a stepping stone into Sekiro since I've been eyeing it for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Gonna TOUCH CUBES with my CRYSTAL BROS

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the genuine answer is "They are all genuinely lovely gatcha money grabs" with I think Brave Ex being the least lovely of the lovely money grabs. If you mean stuff like Final Fantasy Dimensions then it still amounts to "FFD is the only one worth playing."

Brave exvius is the worst, opera is pretty f2p

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
FF Record Keeper is pretty good too. The way their in game currency is set up you can just save it all for the fests they run every 3 months and get access to a lot of the top curated stuff without spending a penny.

You have to enjoy the team building and gameplay though and it's not for everyone. It has 7 years worth of content though.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
There’s something mentally wrong with me because I have to fight the urge to play more of the SoP demo instead of more Elden Ring. Even though my gaming time is limited and I’m getting SoP on PC which I can’t transfer demo progress to. It’s like junk food in game form, maybe that’s why.

Also my PC pre-order says SoP will be available the 16th.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/kylelambert2001/status/1502670668122447877

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is CHAOS always capitalized? Like SOLDIER?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I haven't played the demo but the gameplay doesn't look very Souls-like at all.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

jokes posted:

Is CHAOS always capitalized? Like SOLDIER?

Yes, it stands for Cool Heroes Are Offered by Square

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

leftist heap posted:

It is basically Nioh 3, where Nioh 1 and 2 were "what if Dark Souls was made by the Ninja Gaiden guys." It's a different branch but built from the same basic ideas.

Like legitimately this isn't a 'lol everything is Soulsborne', it is that the explicit way the current Nioh was designed was directly a result of telling the Ninja Gaiden dudes to make a Dark Souls, it was the entire reason they were picked for it in fact. It has a ton of the same DNA and what it doesn't is pretty much inspired by other Team Ninja titles.

It borrows a lot of the same basic core mechanics that the genre popularized, just on a different evolutionary path because this is their third attempt at the genre and they're building off Nioh instead of Dark Souls at this point. Limited healing flasks, resting at campfires to level and respawn enemies, a heavy emphasis on parry and 'stamina' mechanics, etc, etc. Yes there's an overall 'third person action genre' but even within that genre you know where a game is coming from and it hasn't yet diverged enough to not be an obvious take on the same concept.

But in the case of Nioh the developers have admitted it is their take on Soulsborne, it isn't an obscure or hidden concept. It's just that it is what you get when you see Soulsborne from the direction of games like Ninja Gaiden. (and it's worth remember that before Dark Souls, Ninja Gaiden held a similar role as the Get Gud game.)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

leftist heap posted:

It’s third person and you get multiple melee weapon types making it souls-like

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
every game is souls like

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

PringleCreamEgg posted:

There’s something mentally wrong with me because I have to fight the urge to play more of the SoP demo instead of more Elden Ring. Even though my gaming time is limited and I’m getting SoP on PC which I can’t transfer demo progress to. It’s like junk food in game form, maybe that’s why.

Also my PC pre-order says SoP will be available the 16th.

Your restless soul is burning with the need to kill CHAOS.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

leftist heap posted:

It reminds me more of Code Vein than anything, which is good! I like the flexibility, the combat is fast paced and fluid, and you've always got backup. SoP rewards aggression more than something like Nioh where you'd eventually have to step back for a second after a few swings.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You can go pure caster. You do need to use Soul Shield to refill mana but that is easier at a distance.

You refill one bar of your mana with Soul Shield, cast a spell, and then have to use Soul Shield again. Not exactly exciting gameplay.

Further, quite a few of the abilities you get as a caster are of the form cover your mace in an element and wack the enemy with it.

Stranger of Paradise encourages--screams--a hybrid approach of casting spells and then going into melee.

It's fine if you like that kind of thing (see Red Mage in FF14) but not for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ither posted:

You refill one bar of your mana with Soul Shield, cast a spell, and then have to use Soul Shield again. Not exactly exciting gameplay.

Further, quite a few of the abilities you get as a caster are of the form cover your mace in an element and wack the enemy with it.

Stranger of Paradise encourages--screams--a hybrid approach of casting spells and then going into melee.

It's fine if you like that kind of thing (see Red Mage in FF14) but not for me.

You will grain more mana from soul breaks (which elemental spells are great at) and can optimize for more MP from Soul Shield and such.

Like yeah being willing to use melee ever will make your life easier but the same is true of Souls casters.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I liked the demo, and I'll likely play the full game eventually (though I have a bunch of other games that will keep me busy for the next month or so at least). But every part of this game that was borrowed from Nioh (and especially the parts that were transitively borrowed from Dark Souls) make the game worse, with one exception. Here's way too many words on the subject.

We'll start with that exception: the individual-level, mission-based structure. This is fine. Plenty of good action games use this form of level design; Demons Souls and Nioh, obviously, but also character action games like Devil May Cry (and if SoP was more character action and less Souls, I'd be preordering).

The other thing SoP borrows from from Nioh that hasn't been in a Souls game is drowning the player in garbage gear. I imagine it's already clear how I feel about this. The tidal wave of crap creates two problems. First, I get annoyed every time I look at the equipment screen because I have to now either sort through 20 new, nearly-identical items to find the one that has the +0.9% to a stat that I actually care about, or accept that the auto-equip button is making sub-optimal choices but at least it's over quick and I can get back to the fun parts of the game again. The second problem is that it makes exploring feel unrewarding. Every treasure chest just gives me the same gear that I get from killing the enemies that are on the way to the chest. Chest drops might be slightly better than enemy drops, but I'm going to be replacing all this crap in ten minutes anyway, so who cares?

Next item with which I have beef: the lack of a map. Dark Souls and its children can get away with not having a map because every area in the game is very different and memorable. Even in the sections that are twisty, complicated, or mazelike, if you're getting lost in a Souls, it's because the designers want you to feel lost. Souls games are intentionally oppressive, and one of the ways they're made to feel so is sometimes (but not always) putting you in a location that's hard to navigate. SoP, meanwhile has a bunch of copy-pasted hallways and reused assets that make every section feel indistinguishable from the ones that came before. With respawning enemies and no map to give you directions, there's no easy way to tell where you've been, if you're going toward the goal of the level, if you're exploring a new side path, or if you're just retreading ground you've already covered. This was mostly a problem in the second level, so maybe that was just a bad example of the game's level design. But I don't see any reason to not have a map; adding one would only be a positive. (I will also readily admit that maybe there is a map and I missed both the button and the tutorial for it, but my roommate is using the TV, so I can't check right now.)

Finally, and this is the big one for me, I think copying the checkpoint system from Dark Souls was a mistake. Respawning enemies doesn't do the game any favors thanks to the previous point, and the limited healing feels out of place in a Final Fantasy game. Estus flasks in Dark Souls were an extremely smart and intentional design choice; Demons Souls let you grind out as many healing items as you wanted, which made the game feel grindy if you wanted those heals, or overly punishing if you didn't want to grind and then used up the limited number of heals you could find in the world. Dark Souls replaced that with Estus flasks, and was right to do so, because the game is meant to feel slow, deliberate, and difficult. If you only have five heals to carry you to the next checkpoint, you're going to be very careful, you're going to feel it every time you have to take a drink, and you're going to take every enemy seriously. And when you finally make it to that next checkpoint, the victory feels all the sweeter for how hard you worked to get there. SoP, meanwhile, isn't a dark fantasy; it's a story about a group of very attractive people wearing modern fashion using stylish moves and explosions to blast their way through a brightly colored world. It never has that sense of oppression or of overcoming a world that wants to kill you that guided every decision in the making of Dark Souls. But in spite of this, SoP enemies are still overly lethal, and even a couple incidental hits from the most basic enemies requires using one of your limited heals. It turns what could be fast-paced, flashy combat into something that has to be taken slowly and carefully, and I think the game is worse for it.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I liked the demo but do agree with you. I feel like the game would be substantially more enjoyable if it was like the god of war games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I play on hard and have never been slow and careful in this game lol

The wonkiness of potions makes White Mage good, just like in Actual FF

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I have never played a Souls game or Nioh, and have been having a blast with the demo. Maybe I’m benefiting from not having past experience with this flavor of game.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Do you have to block and play defensively against regular enemies on normal and hard? Like a typical Dark Souls game?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For normal packs of enemies just mash combos for the most part, resonance cooldowns mean that for every large pack you can have them "go in" and draw aggro.

For bosses I do a lot more dodging and soul shielding. I never block or "regular parry"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've been playing on normal and for the most part the game has been about you asserting your strength, and the enemies just have to deal with it. I wouldn't call the MP in this game Stamina like Dark Souls uses it, because you have to be active in order to get it back. Smacking the enemy a few times and falling back doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

I remember having a much harder time with the boss in the first two demos and I don't think I ever actually beat them, but it wasn't that bad this time. I'm glad this game isn't really expecting perfect play on normal mode, but will still kill you if you get too greedy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The trick to loot is to set it to only pick to good loot instead of greys.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the demo's first level has been much easier than in previous versions, but I've still hit a wall on Chaos Advent. I think I've forgotten how the soul shield and break gauge work

why would you block instead of soul shield if they both eat break gauge and soul shield gets you MP?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the demo's first level has been much easier than in previous versions, but I've still hit a wall on Chaos Advent. I think I've forgotten how the soul shield and break gauge work

why would you block instead of soul shield if they both eat break gauge and soul shield gets you MP?

block eats way less gauge

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

eonwe posted:

block eats way less gauge

about to just start doing that instead of trying to be cute with soul shield then. I'm only getting mollywhopped when my break gauge is gone

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea I just started thinking of soul shield as a parry that restored some mana then a 'block' and that helped my brain deal with it a bit better

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The game tips even point out that it's expecting you to use normal block to safely learn enemy combos and patterns and then start using Soul Shield to start styling on them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guard is best used for fast/less damaging attacks. You can parry with it for style points or just block to minimize damage, but you still take break damage from plain guarding unless you parry. Big heavy blows will gently caress your break up even if you're guarding. Also you still take reduced damage from magic attacks if you guard them. It's also a bit safer at close range since it comes out quicker and certain weapons let you cancel into a guard.

Soul Shield eats Break at a consistent rate but flat-out absorbs attacks unless they are glowing red, meaning it is *way* more effective against heavy hits and of course it nullifies magic attacks and can absorb certain ones so you can use them. At range Soul Shield is almost exclusively better than Guard in any situation because it's much easier to see poo poo coming towards you.

Basically Guard is for fast weak attacks, Soul Shield for heavy attacks, but if you're facing a single foe or have a pattern down then Soul Shield is probably going to be better.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Guard is best used for fast/less damaging attacks. You can parry with it for style points or just block to minimize damage, but you still take break damage from plain guarding unless you parry. Big heavy blows will gently caress your break up even if you're guarding. Also you still take reduced damage from magic attacks if you guard them. It's also a bit safer at close range since it comes out quicker and certain weapons let you cancel into a guard.

Soul Shield eats Break at a consistent rate but flat-out absorbs attacks unless they are glowing red, meaning it is *way* more effective against heavy hits and of course it nullifies magic attacks and can absorb certain ones so you can use them. At range Soul Shield is almost exclusively better than Guard in any situation because it's much easier to see poo poo coming towards you.

Basically Guard is for fast weak attacks, Soul Shield for heavy attacks, but if you're facing a single foe or have a pattern down then Soul Shield is probably going to be better.

this is super helpful, I'll admit that I'm being much less patient this go around because it's the third time I've been here lol

I think I just need to be more judicious with soul shield, I'd confused that it was being broken by big hits by overuse in this fight

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Did anyone figure out a better button to move soul parry too? O is a awkward button for it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this is super helpful, I'll admit that I'm being much less patient this go around because it's the third time I've been here lol

I think I just need to be more judicious with soul shield, I'd confused that it was being broken by big hits by overuse in this fight

Yeah like someone mentioned above, think of it like a parry except you control how long the parry window is in exchange for draining this game's version of stamina.

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Did anyone figure out a better button to move soul parry too? O is a awkward button for it

O worked for me TBH. The shoulder buttons are already pretty full up.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
In the terminology of the game, blocking right before you get hit is called a parry, just in case referring to the soul shield as a parry confuses people

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Flytrap posted:

The game tips even point out that it's expecting you to use normal block to safely learn enemy combos and patterns and then start using Soul Shield to start styling on them.

Yeah I saw the tutorial about when you're supposed to use each of them this time around lol...

I still never normal block, I just soul shield and when I run out of break bar I trade 1 MP using Dragoon's Swayback to dodge and refill, or I switch jobs, or I yell "Ash, show em whatcha got"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have a bad habit of defaulting to dodge over block/soul shield.

Hot tip: each job has separate break gauges so if you need more you can swap jobs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Is there an overview of the trillion FF mobile games anywhere?

So I can give a brief overview of all of them, I played a bit of most of them. All of the live ones are pretty f2p-friendly, for what that's worth.

Record Keeper is basically 'play boss fights from all across the series, with every character you can name from the series, in a form roughly like if they were all in FFVI'. At least when I played it had a bit of a 'one true build' problem where high-end play NEEDED certain character abilities (when I played it was 'I hope you like IV and Tactics, because you're using Ramza and Rosa'), but I don't know if that's changed, and playing casually it probably wouldn't affect you.

Brave Exvius (as well as its tactical RPG spinoff, War of the Visions) is actually an entirely original game that happens to use FF characters for its gacha pulls, so don't go in expecting a nostalgia-fest on the level of the others. That said, it is a pretty good original game, and has enough going on where you probably don't need to care overmuch about where its balance falls apart.

Opera Omnia is a Dissidia game in both name and spirit, if not in actual storyline connections. It's got a story all about FF characters meeting and dealing with each other, so if you want to see Cloud meet Alphinaud, this is where you get that. Gameplay is basically 'if Dissidia was a turn-based RPG' with the Bravery and HP damage, and its approach to game balance was to make everyone overpowered, so that's fun.

And for the shut down ones: All The Bravest was a garbage fire, and Mobius had impressive production values but was definitely the weakest of the 'good' FF mobile games.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How long does Cloud need to convince chocobos to gently caress, and why couldn't he start this process before there was a giant meteor slowly descending in the sky?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How long does Cloud need to convince chocobos to gently caress, and why couldn't he start this process before there was a giant meteor slowly descending in the sky?

Just manipulate your RNG and you can get it done in like five minutes tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
You can start breeding chocobos as soon as you get the airship on disc 2, though you need to rent stables from Choco Bill on the farm before you can capture them.

You can't race chocobos until after Tifa helps Cloud find himself in the Lifestream and he rejoins the party. You don't actually need to race chocobos to breed the special ones, but you only have a 10% chance to get one if you haven't increased their rank via racing.

e: or you can just manipulate the RNG yeah